Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
December book thread 10:51 - Dec 13 with 4137 viewsRobTheMonk

What are we all reading this month?

I'm currently reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It's a fantasy book and I believe his first published one. I'm enjoying it so far.

Also about to read Stephen King's (or his Richard Backman pseudonym) The Long Walk.

I'll then move back into Wheel of Time with book 11 of the series.
December book thread on 10:54 - Dec 13 with 1971 viewsbelgablue

Blue book of Nebo, quick read about a nuclear holocaust in Wales. I'm quite enjoying it despite the slightly morbid subject!

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

December book thread on 11:03 - Dec 13 with 1937 viewsLord_Lucan

Just finished No Handcuffs by Eddie Richardson and have now started Easily Distracted by Steve Coogan - which has unfortunately confirmed by belief that the bloke is a knob.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

December book thread on 11:05 - Dec 13 with 1938 viewsIllinoisblue

Just started Animal House by James Brown. Tales from the mid 90s of Loaded magazine

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

December book thread on 11:09 - Dec 13 with 1929 viewsDubtractor

I'm reading Terrortome by Garth Marenghi. For those who remember the TV programme Dark Place, you'll know what this is.

Just finished reading Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Sci fi set way in the future, after earth has been destroyed by mega beings called architects. It was excellent, if big sci fi is your bag.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

December book thread on 11:13 - Dec 13 with 1918 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

The Angry Island by AA Gill.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

December book thread on 11:17 - Dec 13 with 1910 viewsitfcjoe

Lords of the Rings by Andrew Jennings

Parenting Hell by Josh Widdecombe and Rob Beckett

James Acaster's Guide to Quitting Social Media by James Acaster

The Fourth Estate by Jeffrey Archer
[Post edited 13 Dec 2022 11:18]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

December book thread on 11:26 - Dec 13 with 1899 viewsleitrimblue

Churches in the Irish Landscape. AD 400-1100. ( Tomas O' Carragain). Its incredibly even drier then it sounds, could not recommend it.
December book thread on 11:27 - Dec 13 with 1897 viewsChurchman

I’m reading the Douglas Jackson Rome books. A good yarn in the style of Iggulden and Cornwell. There’s about nine of them.
Login to get fewer ads

December book thread on 11:30 - Dec 13 with 1883 viewssolemio

Just finished a biography of Edward Elgar.
December book thread on 11:33 - Dec 13 with 1877 viewsRobTheMonk

December book thread on 11:09 - Dec 13 by Dubtractor

I'm reading Terrortome by Garth Marenghi. For those who remember the TV programme Dark Place, you'll know what this is.

Just finished reading Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Sci fi set way in the future, after earth has been destroyed by mega beings called architects. It was excellent, if big sci fi is your bag.

Wait, he actually wrote books?!
December book thread on 11:40 - Dec 13 with 1872 viewsDubtractor

December book thread on 11:33 - Dec 13 by RobTheMonk

Wait, he actually wrote books?!

https://www.waterstones.com/book/garth-marenghis-terrortome/garth-marenghi/97813

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

December book thread on 11:54 - Dec 13 with 1828 viewshomer_123

December book thread on 11:26 - Dec 13 by leitrimblue

Churches in the Irish Landscape. AD 400-1100. ( Tomas O' Carragain). Its incredibly even drier then it sounds, could not recommend it.

But now you've started, you 'have' to finish it?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

December book thread on 11:57 - Dec 13 with 1823 viewsurbanblue

Just finished 'Utopia Avenue' by David Mitchell. Great stuff about a band trying to make it in 1960's London. Brief appearances in the story by real life characters from the era Bowie, Syd Barrett and Brian Jones to name three.

Highly recommended.

Next up I think is going to be 'Homicide" by David Simon about a year spent on the streets of Baltimore with the cops. His inspiration for 'The Wire' apparently.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2022 11:58]
December book thread on 12:01 - Dec 13 with 1807 viewsleitrimblue

December book thread on 11:54 - Dec 13 by homer_123

But now you've started, you 'have' to finish it?

Something like that. I've looked at all the pictures and I'm now on chapter 3. Next time i turn the page it could all change though. Could be a car chase or something.
(It's a work thing rather then pleasure)
December book thread on 12:02 - Dec 13 with 1806 viewsCobboldCrusty

December book thread on 11:57 - Dec 13 by urbanblue

Just finished 'Utopia Avenue' by David Mitchell. Great stuff about a band trying to make it in 1960's London. Brief appearances in the story by real life characters from the era Bowie, Syd Barrett and Brian Jones to name three.

Highly recommended.

Next up I think is going to be 'Homicide" by David Simon about a year spent on the streets of Baltimore with the cops. His inspiration for 'The Wire' apparently.

I read The Corner a long time ago and remember absolutely loving it. Very involving, much like The Wire there's these little moments and features of characters that stick with you for years.

Received Utopia Ave last year for xmas and been pondering whether worth the read, might give it a go now!
December book thread on 12:05 - Dec 13 with 1796 viewsjeera

I've been looking at getting that myself.

So no spoilers.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

December book thread on 12:11 - Dec 13 with 1784 viewsleitrimblue

December book thread on 12:05 - Dec 13 by jeera

I've been looking at getting that myself.

So no spoilers.

I don't wanna spoil it for yer Jeera, but let's just say chapter 1 - contexts for Conversion and Concepts of Territory does not end on a cliffhanger
December book thread on 12:12 - Dec 13 with 1781 viewsFtnfwest

'Embracing Defeat' by John Dower, having just read 'The Battle of Okinawa' by George Feifer
December book thread on 12:17 - Dec 13 with 1766 viewsjeera

December book thread on 12:11 - Dec 13 by leitrimblue

I don't wanna spoil it for yer Jeera, but let's just say chapter 1 - contexts for Conversion and Concepts of Territory does not end on a cliffhanger

No by the sea erosion issues then, that's good.

To add to the thread I'm reading Mornings in Jenin.

Although a novel the backdrop is based on very real events and it's not hard to see the suffering within the pages as very real and most likely accurate.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

December book thread on 12:22 - Dec 13 with 1752 viewsRyorry

Not had time too read books lately, but having heard snippets of this on radio, have just downloaded the first 5 episodes of 'The Coming Storm' onto my phone.

Properly investigative journalism, alternately shocking and fascinating - "QAnon and the plot to break reality. Reporter and presenter Gabriel Gatehouse takes a journey into the dark undergrowth of modern America"

The first of the full episodes were first broadcast in Jan this year, blurb says "available for over a year".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001324r

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

December book thread on 12:28 - Dec 13 with 1744 viewsWeWereZombies

December book thread on 11:57 - Dec 13 by urbanblue

Highly recommended.

During the last week I finished 'Trio' by William Boyd, a novel about three people connected to a film being made in 1960s Brighton. There is a fictitious popstar in it and the occasional listing of band names, some of which are real and a few that seem to be made up (Antarctica ? never heard of them but perhaps they existed in the Sixties or is it just Boyd being a naughty monkey at the expense of Britpop...) Good book, a real page turner and thoughtful at times as well.

After that I read 'The Ripple Effect' by Gavin Major, which I found an excellent first novel but as I know the author maybe my recommendation has to be taken with a pinch of salt. It juxtaposes a fun traveller on a motorbiking jolly with a Sri Lankan economic migrant before going into another couple of phases of detail on life for fisherman in Sri Lanka and what the best outcome can be for those who choose to leave.

About to reengage with 'The Age of Reason' by Thetford's own Thomas Paine, which seeks to debunk The Bible using no other source than The Bible. And common sense of course. Written whilst he was in prison after being put there by some of his pals in the French Revolution.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

December book thread on 12:42 - Dec 13 with 1725 viewsChurchman

December book thread on 12:28 - Dec 13 by WeWereZombies

During the last week I finished 'Trio' by William Boyd, a novel about three people connected to a film being made in 1960s Brighton. There is a fictitious popstar in it and the occasional listing of band names, some of which are real and a few that seem to be made up (Antarctica ? never heard of them but perhaps they existed in the Sixties or is it just Boyd being a naughty monkey at the expense of Britpop...) Good book, a real page turner and thoughtful at times as well.

After that I read 'The Ripple Effect' by Gavin Major, which I found an excellent first novel but as I know the author maybe my recommendation has to be taken with a pinch of salt. It juxtaposes a fun traveller on a motorbiking jolly with a Sri Lankan economic migrant before going into another couple of phases of detail on life for fisherman in Sri Lanka and what the best outcome can be for those who choose to leave.

About to reengage with 'The Age of Reason' by Thetford's own Thomas Paine, which seeks to debunk The Bible using no other source than The Bible. And common sense of course. Written whilst he was in prison after being put there by some of his pals in the French Revolution.

Ah, but what happened to the bones of Thomas Paine?

They were part of William Cobbett’s effects when he died, but disappeared. Somebody must have them!
December book thread on 13:04 - Dec 13 with 1692 viewsWeWereZombies

December book thread on 12:42 - Dec 13 by Churchman

Ah, but what happened to the bones of Thomas Paine?

They were part of William Cobbett’s effects when he died, but disappeared. Somebody must have them!

According to Graham Moore:

As I dreamed out one evening by a river of discontent
I bumped right into old Tom Paine
As a-running down the road he went
He said I can't stop right now my son King Georgy's after me
He'll have a rope around my throat and hang me on the liberty tree

Chorus (twice after each verse):
And I will dance to Tom Paine's bones
Dance to Tom Paine's bones
I'll dance in the oldest boots I own
To the rhythm of Tom Paine's bones

He said I just spoke about freedom and justice for everyone
Ever since the very first word I spoke
I've been looking down the barrel of a gun
Well they say I preached revolution but let me say in my defence
All I did wherever I went was to talk a lot of ‘Common Sense’

Well old Tom Paine he ran so fast he left me standing still
And there I was a piece of paper in my hand
Standing at the top of the hill
And it said, “This is “The Age of Reason’, these are ‘The Rights of Man‘
Kick off religion and monarchy”, it was written there in Tom Paine's plan

[ Old American nursery rhyme: ]
Poor old Tom Paine there he lies
Nobody laughs, nobody cries
Where he's gone or how he fares
Nobody knows and nobody cares

Last chorus (twice):
But I will dance to Tom Paine's bones
Dance to Tom Paine's bones
I'll dance in the oldest boots I own
To the rhythm of Tom Paine's bones

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

December book thread on 13:06 - Dec 13 with 1690 viewsNthQldITFC

It's always been rather wet when I've been there.

Meself, I'm enjoying a bitt of Pratchet, and some Lennard Zinn for contrast.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

December book thread on 13:13 - Dec 13 with 1672 viewsblueasfook

Just finished Where's Spot? by Eric Hill

What an adventure!

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024