Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It seems to be this simple now... 11:17 - Feb 15 with 2207 viewssjg

If we believe in McKenna enough to tolerate this season's failure in the belief that in the long term he is the best man for the job, we keep hold of him.

If we want to get up this season (considering any effects that not getting promoted may have on our squad, losing key players etc.), then he has to go and quickly.
It seems to be this simple now... on 11:21 - Feb 15 with 2149 viewsSomethingBlue

We haven't failed in anything yet.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

It seems to be this simple now... on 11:24 - Feb 15 with 2121 viewssjg

It seems to be this simple now... on 11:21 - Feb 15 by SomethingBlue

We haven't failed in anything yet.

Good idea, let's wait until it is mathematically impossible for us to go up before we make a move.
It seems to be this simple now... on 11:32 - Feb 15 with 2072 viewsdavblue

even with a new manager it's hugely unlikely we would get automatic promotion.

How do you know for a fact we won't go up through the play offs?

We've not had a good spell but we aren't getting beaten very often. It is the small details going forward that we need to sort out the basis of a side and a style of play is there. We now need to find different ways of breaking down teams and creating and putting away our chances.
It seems to be this simple now... on 11:32 - Feb 15 with 2060 viewsBloomBlue

It seems to be this simple now... on 11:24 - Feb 15 by sjg

Good idea, let's wait until it is mathematically impossible for us to go up before we make a move.

Who would you like as the new manager, Dean Smith?
It seems to be this simple now... on 11:33 - Feb 15 with 2054 viewssjg

It seems to be this simple now... on 11:32 - Feb 15 by BloomBlue

Who would you like as the new manager, Dean Smith?

Last year's League 1 winning manager is currently out of a job
It seems to be this simple now... on 11:57 - Feb 15 with 1943 viewsFixed_It

It seems to be this simple now... on 11:33 - Feb 15 by sjg

Last year's League 1 winning manager is currently out of a job

Appointing promotion winning managers has always worked so well for us...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

It seems to be this simple now... on 11:58 - Feb 15 with 1934 viewsCityBlue

the despondency within the TWTD faithful is hitting new highs today....

I T I D

It seems to be this simple now... on 12:22 - Feb 15 with 1827 viewssjg

It seems to be this simple now... on 11:57 - Feb 15 by Fixed_It

Appointing promotion winning managers has always worked so well for us...

I just disagree with the argument that we should keep McKenna because there is not better out there, and this was an example to illustrate that. It's lazy and it's not true.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2023 12:26]
Login to get fewer ads

It seems to be this simple now... on 12:57 - Feb 15 with 1731 viewstextbackup

It seems to be this simple now... on 11:32 - Feb 15 by davblue

even with a new manager it's hugely unlikely we would get automatic promotion.

How do you know for a fact we won't go up through the play offs?

We've not had a good spell but we aren't getting beaten very often. It is the small details going forward that we need to sort out the basis of a side and a style of play is there. We now need to find different ways of breaking down teams and creating and putting away our chances.

Do you think we’ll go up via the PO?

Unless something drastic changes I don’t see it. We’d be bullied over two legs

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

It seems to be this simple now... on 13:25 - Feb 15 with 1659 viewsdavblue

It seems to be this simple now... on 12:57 - Feb 15 by textbackup

At the minute no I wouldn’t fancy us to get the better of a team in terms of out scoring them.

We might fluke it in a penalty shoot out but it’s Ipswich so probably not.

If we can get back to earlier form in the season then I think we could take anyone in this league.

All if’s an no certainty but the op said we need to change the manager to get promoted so they are very sure it’s that simple.
It seems to be this simple now... on 13:32 - Feb 15 with 1618 viewssjg

It seems to be this simple now... on 13:25 - Feb 15 by davblue

At the minute no I wouldn’t fancy us to get the better of a team in terms of out scoring them.

We might fluke it in a penalty shoot out but it’s Ipswich so probably not.

If we can get back to earlier form in the season then I think we could take anyone in this league.

All if’s an no certainty but the op said we need to change the manager to get promoted so they are very sure it’s that simple.

Yep, 100%. We will not get promoted this season with McKenna in charge. Shown time and time again that even when we can outperform teams, we can't deal with the big moments. Unfortunately they are all big moments between now and the end of the season, and I would be more surprised if we got promoted than if we finished 7th.
It seems to be this simple now... on 13:36 - Feb 15 with 1582 viewsVaughan8

It seems to be this simple now... on 13:32 - Feb 15 by sjg

Yep, 100%. We will not get promoted this season with McKenna in charge. Shown time and time again that even when we can outperform teams, we can't deal with the big moments. Unfortunately they are all big moments between now and the end of the season, and I would be more surprised if we got promoted than if we finished 7th.

The playoffs is all about hitting form at the right time. More often than not it is the team in form that ends up winning it. So yes, we aren't in great form now, but come April/May we might be.

We still have to play all the teams around us after the 4 games vs the lower teams.

I'm not giving up getting promoted yet. However something isn't working at the moment so needs to be some adjustment.
It seems to be this simple now... on 13:37 - Feb 15 with 1568 viewssjg

It seems to be this simple now... on 13:36 - Feb 15 by Vaughan8

The playoffs is all about hitting form at the right time. More often than not it is the team in form that ends up winning it. So yes, we aren't in great form now, but come April/May we might be.

We still have to play all the teams around us after the 4 games vs the lower teams.

I'm not giving up getting promoted yet. However something isn't working at the moment so needs to be some adjustment.

Largely about hitting form at the right time, also largely about bottle. We've had good runs of form and have still failed in the big moments during these runs.
It seems to be this simple now... on 13:38 - Feb 15 with 1556 viewsbluejacko

Ok he picks the team so some fault goes his way, but if on the field those players cannot pick up their game week in week out then what does he do?
It seems to be this simple now... on 13:40 - Feb 15 with 1526 viewssjg

It seems to be this simple now... on 13:38 - Feb 15 by bluejacko

Ok he picks the team so some fault goes his way, but if on the field those players cannot pick up their game week in week out then what does he do?

Take some accountability and change his tactics? His reluctance to change these strikes me as arrogance, - 'my tactics are good enough, if the players can't perform it's not my fault'
It seems to be this simple now... on 13:43 - Feb 15 with 1507 viewsPinewoodblue

It seems to be this simple now... on 13:32 - Feb 15 by sjg

Sacking McKenna wouldn’t guarantee promotion although it might conceivably marginally improve the short term prospect.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

It seems to be this simple now... on 13:45 - Feb 15 with 1495 viewsitfcjoe

It seems to be this simple now... on 12:57 - Feb 15 by textbackup

I don't see why we couldn't beat any of the teams around us in this league - Posh, Barnsley, Derby, Bolton, Wycombe.....even Sheff Weds and Plymouth. We've lost what 2 games to that lot in 9 played.

We are struggling more against teams at bottom of the league - and by then our CM options should be back, one of (if not both) of Ball and Luongo should be back to give us some strength in the middle and free Morsy up a bit to effect games more

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

It seems to be this simple now... on 13:53 - Feb 15 with 1453 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I think McKenna is the right man. He’s unfortunately hit a steep learning curve.

Replacing him this season would make no sense even if playoffs is now the best we can hope for.
It seems to be this simple now... on 14:20 - Feb 15 with 1337 viewssjg

It seems to be this simple now... on 13:45 - Feb 15 by itfcjoe

I don't see why we couldn't beat any of the teams around us in this league - Posh, Barnsley, Derby, Bolton, Wycombe.....even Sheff Weds and Plymouth. We've lost what 2 games to that lot in 9 played.

We are struggling more against teams at bottom of the league - and by then our CM options should be back, one of (if not both) of Ball and Luongo should be back to give us some strength in the middle and free Morsy up a bit to effect games more

We can take this stat further and say that we have played all 6 at home and only 3 away from home, we have only won 1 game of the 9, and if this was the play offs we would be losing on aggregate with 3 away legs to come. So unfortunately I don't share your optimism on the play offs!

Also, if we keep playing 2 in the centre of midfield, we will keep having the same problem. Doesn't matter which 2 it is.
It seems to be this simple now... on 16:59 - Feb 15 with 1142 viewsHARRY10

It is about how the folk across the pond see things

I never got the impression that they were about a longer term development, morea throw money at it and get up the first season.

If as it looks increasingly likely that it will be the playoffs then there is every thought we made not go up.

Unless McK can get the team back to the winning ways, points per game of last, autumn then questions will be asked.

A concern I have is whether the size of the squad and the players are solely down to McK. s there some weird 'I'll sign if I am guaranteed a game' clause with some of our recent signings - hence the endless chopping and changing ?

While most supporters welcomed the new owners, I had my reservations.. It is certainly a totally different set up to that of the Cobbolds, Bobby Robson, and the players. Very straightforward chain of command and accountability.

The money put up is basically a loan, which at some point requires a return. That could only come from the PL, though at a cost to the the squad. Look up the A140 to see what happens when you try to balance the books, never mind take out a few milion to give a return on the investment/loan.

However all will be forgotten if our fate is to win at Wembley with a day out for 40,000 of us, and a shiney new trophy. Both something long over due.
It seems to be this simple now... on 17:08 - Feb 15 with 1105 viewstractorboy1978

It seems to be this simple now... on 16:59 - Feb 15 by HARRY10

It is about how the folk across the pond see things

I never got the impression that they were about a longer term development, morea throw money at it and get up the first season.

If as it looks increasingly likely that it will be the playoffs then there is every thought we made not go up.

Unless McK can get the team back to the winning ways, points per game of last, autumn then questions will be asked.

A concern I have is whether the size of the squad and the players are solely down to McK. s there some weird 'I'll sign if I am guaranteed a game' clause with some of our recent signings - hence the endless chopping and changing ?

While most supporters welcomed the new owners, I had my reservations.. It is certainly a totally different set up to that of the Cobbolds, Bobby Robson, and the players. Very straightforward chain of command and accountability.

The money put up is basically a loan, which at some point requires a return. That could only come from the PL, though at a cost to the the squad. Look up the A140 to see what happens when you try to balance the books, never mind take out a few milion to give a return on the investment/loan.

However all will be forgotten if our fate is to win at Wembley with a day out for 40,000 of us, and a shiney new trophy. Both something long over due.

It isn't a loan. You've been told this several times yet still peddle it.
It seems to be this simple now... on 20:31 - Feb 15 with 882 viewsbackwaywhen

It seems to be this simple now... on 12:22 - Feb 15 by sjg

I just disagree with the argument that we should keep McKenna because there is not better out there, and this was an example to illustrate that. It's lazy and it's not true.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2023 12:26]

Changing managers at every sticky spell is not a good look , it does nobody any good whatsoever , unless a particular is an absolute failure , of which McKenna isn’t, in fact since he has been here the club is on the up after years of total dross and miss management from the very top and was stareing into the abyss, stick with him and we will reap the benefit eventually….. COYBs
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024