Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A bit bored, so pile in. 21:32 - Feb 20 with 2210 viewsBramidan

Remember in non league football, as a defender ,the last thing you wanted was the ball near you? All you wanted to do was defend your half, shift it to the mid field and the attackers.
Now you must play it from the back, any stats as to how many goals have been conceded by goal keepers and defenders messing about inviting pressure?
A few sideways passes back to the keeper, who in desperation gives it the big yahoo anyway.
Didn’t see Hunter, Butcher etc farting about, mind you they did have wonderful mid fielders!
High press? Is this something new?
Inviting comments.
A bit bored, so pile in. on 07:56 - Feb 21 with 1946 viewsSheffordBlue

There'a a good article here that summarises the positives and negatives about it. I don't think playing out from the back has led to us directly conceding many (any?) this season and if you want to play possession based football then it's fairly key to be doing this.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/01/04/do-teams-play-back-mistakes-ofte

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

A bit bored, so pile in. on 08:55 - Feb 21 with 1852 viewsBramidan

A bit bored, so pile in. on 07:56 - Feb 21 by SheffordBlue

There'a a good article here that summarises the positives and negatives about it. I don't think playing out from the back has led to us directly conceding many (any?) this season and if you want to play possession based football then it's fairly key to be doing this.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/01/04/do-teams-play-back-mistakes-ofte

Thanks Sheffordblue, I would have liked to read the article but unfortunately it is behind a pay wall.
Thanks anyway.
A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:02 - Feb 21 with 1831 viewsDarth_Koont

The space available to play has changed dramatically with overall player speed, strength and stamina light years away from that in the 70s and 80s. Football has had to change as a result and arguably it’s now what you can do to pull the opposition out of shape that is as important as anything you do on the ball.

Losing possession in your own half is one of the most likely ways to concede so I’m sure there’ll be a lot more goals directly or indirectly attributed to mistakes on the ball at the back. But if you don’t stretch play and find space (by inviting the opposition onto you and taking that risk) then you’re probably much more screwed at getting a good result.

Pronouns: He/Him

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:03 - Feb 21 with 1830 viewsEwan_Oozami

Non-league pitches when I played were certainly not conducive to playing the ball out from the back....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:11 - Feb 21 with 1787 viewsDJR

I think playing out from the back has been encouraged in junior football for some time, so I imagine this will in turn feed through to the adult grassroots game, and it may already have done.

Also, even in the 70s and 80s, players like Mick Mills and George Burley regularly played it out from the back and were an important part of our attacking down the flanks. This was less common with central defenders, but there were exceptions such as Alan Hansen.
A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:15 - Feb 21 with 1772 viewsgiant_stow

Speaking as a very sub-non-league aged over 45ws clogger who gets 15 mins pitch time at the end of the game, our team definitely gives away many goals by trying to play out from the back.

The other main cause of goal leakage, is our manager's bizarre insistence on playing a high defensive line / offside trap. It doesn't really take much to beat our trap and once it's beaten, its almost always ends in a shot on goal, if not a goal. drives me mad.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 9:16]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:17 - Feb 21 with 1760 viewsKeno

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:15 - Feb 21 by giant_stow

Speaking as a very sub-non-league aged over 45ws clogger who gets 15 mins pitch time at the end of the game, our team definitely gives away many goals by trying to play out from the back.

The other main cause of goal leakage, is our manager's bizarre insistence on playing a high defensive line / offside trap. It doesn't really take much to beat our trap and once it's beaten, its almost always ends in a shot on goal, if not a goal. drives me mad.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 9:16]

You'd think Wagner would look at correcting those issues wouldnt you

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:18 - Feb 21 with 1754 viewsbreedalot

Chances do get conceded as a result but you also need to factor in how many get conceded from going long and then losing the ball straight away. TIFO did a really good video about Dyche at Everton that's worth watching as it makes it clear that going long was the way they won the game.

GBs team used to play out from the back to invite the opo on to them to create space for the attack so it's not new just more "refined". I do think it's new how good keepers are on the ball now.
Login to get fewer ads

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:21 - Feb 21 with 1736 viewsBluefields

I hate watching this style of play but do understand why teams do it. However I watch less and less games as find it boring.
A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:36 - Feb 21 with 1672 viewsGeoffSentence

A bit bored, so pile in. on 08:55 - Feb 21 by Bramidan

Thanks Sheffordblue, I would have liked to read the article but unfortunately it is behind a pay wall.
Thanks anyway.

Top tip

open it in firefox
click on reader mode (that thing that looks like a page icon in the search bar)
then refresh the page

You lose some of the graphics, but also all of the clutter and you can read the text.

Reader mode is my favourite browser feature.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:42 - Feb 21 with 1661 viewsgiant_stow

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:36 - Feb 21 by GeoffSentence

Top tip

open it in firefox
click on reader mode (that thing that looks like a page icon in the search bar)
then refresh the page

You lose some of the graphics, but also all of the clutter and you can read the text.

Reader mode is my favourite browser feature.

does that get around the pay wall for repeated pages or just the one you're allowed each week?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A bit bored, so pile in. on 11:31 - Feb 21 with 1486 viewsBigCommon

We were taught to play it out from the back back in 1980, as ten year olds..Mostly down the wings though. But we had the security of keepers being able to pick up and hold back passes. We hated the "two touch" training sessions.But over a few years, it made us into much better players. As did, playing football with a tennis ball , in the playground. Which we were forced to do...Very clever from our Head Master, who was also our PE teacher.. But, we were always told to never pass the ball across your own box, and always wide of the goal when passing back to the keeper..
A bit bored, so pile in. on 13:51 - Feb 21 with 1349 viewsJackNorthStand

When you think about it, we used to accept defenders just being " defenders". But they train day in day out they really should all be comfortable with the ball at their feet as vast majority now are these days.
A bit bored, so pile in. on 14:25 - Feb 21 with 1297 viewsNorrisHatter

When we were playing Ruskball at Stockport County in non-league we conceded several playing that way. But now, with a change of manager we still like to play it on the deck when we can, but now that we play out from the back, rather than at the back, and move the ball forward much faster, I can't think of a single silly intercept goal against.

Moving the ball out faster means we don't have nearly as much side to side stuff in the final third either - visiting sides don't have enough time to get organised into a low block. Tempting fate, but at the moment we are the form team of the division at home.
A bit bored, so pile in. on 15:02 - Feb 21 with 1218 viewsElephantintheRoom

Avoiding dog poo on the pitch was a major concern i seem to remember from my days a a silky midfield maestro

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A bit bored, so pile in. on 15:56 - Feb 21 with 1072 viewsGeoffSentence

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:42 - Feb 21 by giant_stow

does that get around the pay wall for repeated pages or just the one you're allowed each week?

Any of them I think. It's not meant for gettting round pay walls, it is meant to get rid of all the clutter you get on web pages these days, like all that clickbait stuff, but the paywall thing is an unintended consequence.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

A bit bored, so pile in. on 17:21 - Feb 21 with 992 viewsLord_Lucan

I was generally a left winger or centre forward. I had a trial for some team once and they decided to play me at left back - which was completely alien to me.

I couldn’t get the hang of it for ages which resulted in me generally fouling the attacker because I was useless as a defender.

When I got the hang of it I just passed the ball to the left winger - who was bloody useless.

All these problems could have been solved from day one by switching our positions

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A bit bored, so pile in. on 17:27 - Feb 21 with 975 viewsSwansea_Blue

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:03 - Feb 21 by Ewan_Oozami

Non-league pitches when I played were certainly not conducive to playing the ball out from the back....

I was like a cross between a cheap Glenn Hoddle and Pirlo. I could pass on any surface; it was the rest I struggled with. I even won MOTM once when I played in walking boots. True story that - I played against a non-league Icelandic team when I was over there doing fieldwork for my PhD (long story) so all I had was walking boots. It was almost impossible to run, but I was pinging balls about just fine I also had to promise to pull out of full blooded tackles. TWTD.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A bit bored, so pile in. on 17:41 - Feb 21 with 952 viewsronnyd

A bit bored, so pile in. on 15:02 - Feb 21 by ElephantintheRoom

Avoiding dog poo on the pitch was a major concern i seem to remember from my days a a silky midfield maestro

Mole hills?
A bit bored, so pile in. on 18:28 - Feb 21 with 897 viewsSharkey

A bit bored, so pile in. on 17:27 - Feb 21 by Swansea_Blue

I was like a cross between a cheap Glenn Hoddle and Pirlo. I could pass on any surface; it was the rest I struggled with. I even won MOTM once when I played in walking boots. True story that - I played against a non-league Icelandic team when I was over there doing fieldwork for my PhD (long story) so all I had was walking boots. It was almost impossible to run, but I was pinging balls about just fine I also had to promise to pull out of full blooded tackles. TWTD.

Did you take part in any lengthy minutely-choreographed goal celebrations?
A bit bored, so pile in. on 18:33 - Feb 21 with 876 viewsSwansea_Blue

A bit bored, so pile in. on 18:28 - Feb 21 by Sharkey

Did you take part in any lengthy minutely-choreographed goal celebrations?

Ha, no. Sadly that wasn’t a thing back then. We did get a whole salmon though as a thank you for taking part (it was very nice fresh off the open fire).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A bit bored, so pile in. on 20:51 - Feb 21 with 799 viewsbournemouthblue

A bit bored, so pile in. on 09:02 - Feb 21 by Darth_Koont

The space available to play has changed dramatically with overall player speed, strength and stamina light years away from that in the 70s and 80s. Football has had to change as a result and arguably it’s now what you can do to pull the opposition out of shape that is as important as anything you do on the ball.

Losing possession in your own half is one of the most likely ways to concede so I’m sure there’ll be a lot more goals directly or indirectly attributed to mistakes on the ball at the back. But if you don’t stretch play and find space (by inviting the opposition onto you and taking that risk) then you’re probably much more screwed at getting a good result.

See Real Madrid and Liverpool tonight as an example

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024