Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? 16:26 - Mar 18 with 2090 viewsgainsboroughblue

I remember most people pronouncing it like the latter years ago.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

1
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 16:29 - Mar 18 with 2076 viewsChondzoresk

Whichever it is…we won’t be playing them again for a while. I’m confident of that.
0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 17:49 - Mar 18 with 1963 viewsShropshireBluenago09

As a native it’s Shrewsbury (Shroosbury).
Although, typically the posh people in the town and the bbc call it Shrowsbury!

Gus Uhlenbeek

1
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 17:51 - Mar 18 with 1950 viewsbournemouthblue

Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 17:49 - Mar 18 by ShropshireBluenago09

As a native it’s Shrewsbury (Shroosbury).
Although, typically the posh people in the town and the bbc call it Shrowsbury!


it's very much a 'scon' or scone scenario then?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: How much for Omari

1
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 17:57 - Mar 18 with 1933 viewssolemio

Shrew except for the posh school.
0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 18:00 - Mar 18 with 1922 viewsRyorry

The call themselves 'The Shrews', so ...

One very hot summer, a shrew used to come into inner room in my old stone farmhouse where it was nice & cool, & sit under my chair while I was on my computer.

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

1
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 18:13 - Mar 18 with 1905 viewsleitrimblue

Shoesbury init
0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 18:26 - Mar 18 with 1877 viewsChurchman

Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 17:49 - Mar 18 by ShropshireBluenago09

As a native it’s Shrewsbury (Shroosbury).
Although, typically the posh people in the town and the bbc call it Shrowsbury!


Interesting part of the country. I rather like it. There’s plenty to do. I always think of battle between Henry 4th and Harry Hotspur (Henry Percy) in the early 15c (1403). Henry 4th won and it was the only Shakespeare book I ever read that was tolerable.
0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 07:58 - Mar 21 with 1677 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 17:49 - Mar 18 by ShropshireBluenago09

As a native it’s Shrewsbury (Shroosbury).
Although, typically the posh people in the town and the bbc call it Shrowsbury!


My sister lives there.

"Depends what side of the river you come from" she tells me.

Poll: If we were to spend £200m would you rather

0
Login to get fewer ads

Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 08:10 - Mar 21 with 1665 viewshoppy

Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 18:00 - Mar 18 by Ryorry

The call themselves 'The Shrews', so ...

One very hot summer, a shrew used to come into inner room in my old stone farmhouse where it was nice & cool, & sit under my chair while I was on my computer.


Is that a computer (pewt) or compooter?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 08:12 - Mar 21 with 1646 viewshoppy

Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 18:26 - Mar 18 by Churchman

Interesting part of the country. I rather like it. There’s plenty to do. I always think of battle between Henry 4th and Harry Hotspur (Henry Percy) in the early 15c (1403). Henry 4th won and it was the only Shakespeare book I ever read that was tolerable.


Not surprising that Harry Hotspur never won anything - should he have gone to a more successful club?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 08:22 - Mar 21 with 1614 viewsArchiRob

JAMMY BISCUITES

Poll: What best describes Norwich defeat

0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 08:28 - Mar 21 with 1589 viewsronnyd

It was the taming of the shrew on Saturday then.
0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 08:40 - Mar 21 with 1570 viewsDJR

The results are in.

https://www.shropshirestar.com
0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 11:44 - Mar 21 with 1481 viewsclive_baker

While we're at it, how do they pronounce Salop?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 11:51 - Mar 21 with 1464 viewsCheltenham_Blue




This is not called a Shro. It is a Shrew.

Case closed.

Poll: If we were to spend £200m would you rather

0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 13:22 - Mar 21 with 1386 viewshoppy

Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 11:51 - Mar 21 by Cheltenham_Blue




This is not called a Shro. It is a Shrew.

Case closed.


Was he an unused sub?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 13:38 - Mar 21 with 1366 viewsPhilTWTD

Shrewsbury.
1
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 05:29 - Mar 22 with 1230 viewswkj

Neither, being from Suffolk the only pronunciation is Shroosbree

Come On England
Poll: Is the B word actually swearing? (Bob Locks)
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 09:57 - Mar 22 with 1125 viewsblueasfook

Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 13:38 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

Shrewsbury.


Correct.

Proud winner of 3 DaveU upvotes
Poll: Should Frimmers be allowed back?

0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 10:11 - Mar 22 with 1116 viewsAlberto_the_frog

In Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew, you can tell it was pronounced Shrow then by what he rhymes it with. Vowels change with time, but I dislike change so still pronounce it Shrowsbury - and Launceston as Larnceston.

Poll: Should ITFC leave x?

0
Shroosbury or Shrowsbury? on 14:49 - Mar 22 with 1052 viewsTractor_Buck

Locally speaking, neither are correct.

Dialect pronunciation is Shoozbree.
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026