Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad building for next season 13:10 - May 2 with 12828 viewsAsa

It's going to be a fascinating watch.

McKenna and Ashton will no doubt want to keep the momentum and team spirit but at the same time we are going to have to sacrifice some players who've contributed significantly to maximise the chances of another promotion shot next season.

I could see something like this:

Walton
Coleman
Hladky

Woolfenden
Burgess
Clarke
Donacien
NEW SIGNING (LCB)

Davis
Burns
Leigh

Morsy
Ball
Luongo — Two year deal
NEW SIGNING (CM)
Camara

Chaplin
Edwards
Broadhead
NEW SIGNING — Possibly John-Jules although believe we can now target better

NEW SIGNING (CF)
Ladapo
Jackson
Hirst — Throw the £3m-£4m at Leicester — He’s going to be worth more than that in a short while

Keogh — Retire into coaching role

Edmundson — Allow to leave
Evans — Allow to leave
Harness — Allow to leave
Harper — Allow to leave
Pigott - Allow to leave
Penney — Allow to leave
Aluko — Allow to leave (if not interested in a coaching role yet)
Vincent-Young — Allow to leave
Hayes — Allow to leave

Ahadme — League One loan
El Mizouni — League One loan (Leyton Orient)
Ndaba — League One loan
Humphries - League One loan
Baggott — League One loan
Yengi - League Two / Conference loan

I’d be looking to add a left sided centre back, as brilliant as Burgess has been, because he’s only an injury away from having someone like Edmundson filling in and we’ve all seen the difference in moving the ball across the back line with a natural left footer there.

I think Morsy and Luongo have to be seen as the midfield next season. Ball is a cracking player and Camara offers something different going forward. Whether it’s Jack Taylor or we set our sights higher now, Ball does feel like a step down from the settled two, assuming Luongo stays, so wouldn’t be at all surprised if we aimed for a third player of the Morsy / Luongo ilk so we could continue to play the same game when injury and suspension occurs. Evans is a fantastic player, but just slows down the dynamism too much and I can’t see him being involved much moving forwards even if he was fully fit.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if McKenna looked for someone that can play that 10 role on the left or right. I think Chaplin and Broadhead are in the same boat as Morsy and Luongo. Fantastic, but a drop off if one is out for a period. Edwards is worth keeping. I think with coaching he will improve further, he already has and he offers something different that will likely be huge in the more open Championship where less teams sit behind the ball because they are a tenth of the size of our club. Harness for me offers very little apart from a bit of hard work and an eye for goal which has Macauley Bonned it’s way out of existence. He’s a good League One player and nothing more, so expect us to be ruthless here.

Up top we just have to sign Hirst. He’s 24, he’s found a home. He’s big, strong, wins headers, holds it up, scores all sorts of goal, has a hammer of a strike, is quick. He’s going to be a complete Championship striker for years to come. I’d say we also need another like him to rotate with and would keep Ladapo as third choice (sounds mad — he’s just bagged 20 goals) quite simply because I think he’s a decent player but not a system player and it’s one thing adding a goal or two in a match we are 3-0 up in and cruising but I have never felt fully confident in him bringing in Chaplin and Broadhead or taking what might be his only chance and we are now stepping up a level. Jackson I’d retain because he works his socks off and his pace offers something else we may need in some games. He’s more suited to the division above where there is space to run into than Accrington, Port Vale, Morecambe or Burton playing a low block.

We will be ruthless. Which is why I can see Edmunson, Evans and Harness being seen as the weakest members of the 25 or so that will be prone to being replaced with players good enough to take starting spots off what we have. If we were looking to just stay up I don’t think they move on at all.

Harper, Penney, Vincent-Young, Keogh all leaving are no brainers, with the latter probably moving into coaching. I have loved Sone Aluko at Town, it’s been a joy. But he’s a class player still and deserves to go elsewhere and excite their fans the way he has ours.

Gassan, El Miz, Ndaba and Baggott could all develop as yet. Let them do that. Humphries is going to be a top, top player, but it’ll do him no good being left out of our 18 regularly next season so let him go and get 46 games under his belt on loan.

Wouldn't surprise me to lose the 5 weakest players in the squad rotation as it stands and spend £10-12m on 4 or 5 to compliment what we have with the expectation that they'll be even better.

Whatever happens it'll be fascinating and I completely trust the process!
[Post edited 2 May 2023 13:32]
Squad building for next season on 13:38 - May 2 with 5400 viewsIllinoisblue

Agree with most of that but can we spend 10-12m? I’ve no doubt our owners will back KMac, but what of FFP? I thought that was part the reason we went big in the Jan window as L1 rules are less strict than FFP on what you can spend.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Squad building for next season on 13:41 - May 2 with 5384 viewsCityBlue

Would be mad to let Evans go...statistically the best player in the league until he was injured.
Donacien may have reached his ceiling so that could be an area for expanding.
Luongo works well with Morsy but there may be similar upgraded models about who can give us four years.
I would like to think Edmunson stays too.

I T I D

Squad building for next season on 13:42 - May 2 with 5375 viewsBiGDonnie

Cashin
Taylor
Celina
Loader
TJJ
Hirst

Job done.
[Post edited 2 May 2023 14:26]

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Squad building for next season on 13:51 - May 2 with 5328 viewshomer_123

Squad building for next season on 13:42 - May 2 by BiGDonnie

Cashin
Taylor
Celina
Loader
TJJ
Hirst

Job done.

Why the feck do you want Paul Hurst back?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Squad building for next season on 13:52 - May 2 with 5310 viewsBiGDonnie

Squad building for next season on 13:51 - May 2 by homer_123

Why the feck do you want Paul Hurst back?

Ooops.

COYBs

Squad building for next seasons on 13:56 - May 2 with 5261 viewsdavblue

Squad building for next season on 13:41 - May 2 by CityBlue

Would be mad to let Evans go...statistically the best player in the league until he was injured.
Donacien may have reached his ceiling so that could be an area for expanding.
Luongo works well with Morsy but there may be similar upgraded models about who can give us four years.
I would like to think Edmunson stays too.

Evans’ time here appears to be coming to the end. Think he’s been left behind and we look a better team without him.
Squad building for next seasons on 14:02 - May 2 with 5201 viewsportmanking

Squad building for next seasons on 13:56 - May 2 by davblue

Evans’ time here appears to be coming to the end. Think he’s been left behind and we look a better team without him.

I think he's someone who'll stick around for the start of the season in a squad depth capacity, but may accept his time has come and move on next January. Luongo offers so much more dynamism in the middle, even though he's by no means rapid himself. We don't really miss Evans' ball-playing abilities either.

Although I guess it has to be said that Evans was alongside Morsy in a successful Championship midfield with Wigan...
Squad building for next season on 14:02 - May 2 with 5199 viewsDaninthecampo

Cashin
Taylor
Celina
Loader
TJJ
Hirst

Job done.

I don't want Celina back, has done nothing for Stoke this year and Broadhead starts ahead of him every time for me
Login to get fewer ads

Squad building for next season on 14:03 - May 2 with 5172 viewsFixed_It

Cashin
Taylor
Celina
Loader
TJJ
Hirst

Job done.

I think we've seen in Broadhead's performances that Celina is now surplus to requirements. Lovely player on his day, but did not influence games nearly as much as he should have done.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Squad building for next season on 14:06 - May 2 with 5132 viewsIllinoisblue

Squad building for next season on 14:02 - May 2 by Daninthecampo

I don't want Celina back, has done nothing for Stoke this year and Broadhead starts ahead of him every time for me

Yep. We don’t need him to become another Johnny Williams who we sign about 7 times. Although if KMac wants him…

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Squad building for next season on 14:12 - May 2 with 5060 viewsMookamoo

I find it astounding we think there will be no departures

Walton to Middlesboro when they win the play-offs
Woolfenden to a mid table PL side
Edwards to a Championship side like Hull/Blackburn that want that type of flair player

We'll get some seriously good cash for them, but I really don't think we will be able to just sit back this summer and just deal with incomings and discard under contract players like Edmundson
Squad building for next season on 14:12 - May 2 with 5048 viewsBiGDonnie

Squad building for next season on 14:02 - May 2 by Daninthecampo

We all knew he'd do nothing at Stoke. His heart is with ITFC and he'll be back in the Summer.

COYBs

Squad building for next season on 14:18 - May 2 with 4963 viewsLankHenners

Squad building for next season on 14:06 - May 2 by Illinoisblue

Yep. We don’t need him to become another Johnny Williams who we sign about 7 times. Although if KMac wants him…

Think that's they key isn't it? Full faith in McKenna and his team to identify wheat and no chaff. Almost all of his signings have been hits haven't they? The ones that haven't been so much have largely been injured (Camara, Ahadme) or Keogh who wasn't brought in to play much anyway.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Squad building for next season on 14:20 - May 2 with 4936 viewsjayessess

Squad building for next season on 14:12 - May 2 by Mookamoo

Edwards to a Championship side like Hull/Blackburn that want that type of flair player

We'll get some seriously good cash for them, but I really don't think we will be able to just sit back this summer and just deal with incomings and discard under contract players like Edmundson

Think it's fairly rational to think we aren't currently very vulnerable to circling vultures really. We've just won League One not the Championship, neither Premier League nor the wealthiest Championship sides will be looking very hard at our players.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Squad building for next season on 14:21 - May 2 with 4940 viewsGarv

Gut instincts based on your squad list;

- Humphreys will stick around. Foden never went on loan, it didn't do him any harm. Yes I'm comparing the two.
- Edmundson will be kept on - he's class on his day.
- Jackson will go - not a Championship player.
- We will buy someone to compete with and possibly replace Burns. No slight on him, just a sign of where we are/will be.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Squad building for next season on 14:21 - May 2 with 4927 viewshomer_123

Ahadme, Piggot and Penney will all leave.

I originally thought one or two might leave but I'm not sure, very few clubs in the Championship have money to spend, so we are looking at the top 5 or 6 (ex Prem clubs) and I doubt very much we'd want to help them strengthen.

I don't think we'll let Edwards go - he's actually been far more effective than Harness over the course of the season, for example.

Squad building for next season on 14:22 - May 2 with 4922 viewsportmanking

Why on earth would we sell off our crown jewels this summer? Surely it'd be more prudent to sell off the weaker squad players and make modest tweaks, giving them a fair crack at the whip?
Squad building for next season on 14:22 - May 2 with 4917 viewshomer_123

Squad building for next season on 14:20 - May 2 by jayessess

Think it's fairly rational to think we aren't currently very vulnerable to circling vultures really. We've just won League One not the Championship, neither Premier League nor the wealthiest Championship sides will be looking very hard at our players.

See my post above, not many Champ clubs can actually complete with us financially, they wouldn't have the funds to prise our players away, certainly the top ones.

Squad building for next season on 14:29 - May 2 with 4845 viewsMookamoo

Squad building for next season on 14:22 - May 2 by portmanking

Why on earth would we sell off our crown jewels this summer? Surely it'd be more prudent to sell off the weaker squad players and make modest tweaks, giving them a fair crack at the whip?

Sometimes the real world rears its ugly head and things are out of our control.

Everyone is for sale at the right price
Squad building for next season on 14:29 - May 2 with 4820 viewsFrimleyBlue

Squad building for next season on 13:38 - May 2 by Illinoisblue

Agree with most of that but can we spend 10-12m? I’ve no doubt our owners will back KMac, but what of FFP? I thought that was part the reason we went big in the Jan window as L1 rules are less strict than FFP on what you can spend.

Am I right in thinking we COULD spend what ever we wanted until mid June? And it wouldn't fall in the new ffp window

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Squad building for next season on 14:31 - May 2 with 4820 viewshomer_123

Squad building for next season on 14:29 - May 2 by Mookamoo

No question that we will sell when decent offers arrive.

But, not sure we are likely to assist others in the Championship....

Squad building for next season on 14:34 - May 2 with 4801 viewsjayessess

They certainly are, but the "right price" for us will almost certainly be down the line when these players have proven themselves in the Championship.

We've very little motivation to sell a player like Leif Davis now for >£4m, when a good season means he'll be worth £8m+.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Squad building for next season on 14:36 - May 2 with 4787 viewsportmanking

If we get a £15m bid from Burnley for Woolfenden then yes, I assume we'd have to think very seriously about it.

But if we're talking £5m bids from say, Southampton, I'm certain it would be a very firm no.
Squad building for next season on 14:40 - May 2 with 4718 viewstractorboy1978

Squad building for next season on 14:34 - May 2 by jayessess

They certainly are, but the "right price" for us will almost certainly be down the line when these players have proven themselves in the Championship.

We've very little motivation to sell a player like Leif Davis now for >£4m, when a good season means he'll be worth £8m+.

Players aren't going to be wanting to leave either. They are currently playing for one of, if not the best young manager in the country and for a club that is going to have a right go this summer to compete at the top end of the Championship.

I think people are going to be surprised to see the names we are linked with this summer and the level of player that wants to play for McKenna. His reputation is red hot at the moment. He/his staff improve every one they work with.
Squad building for next seasons on 14:41 - May 2 with 4717 viewsdavblue

Squad building for next seasons on 14:02 - May 2 by portmanking

I think he's someone who'll stick around for the start of the season in a squad depth capacity, but may accept his time has come and move on next January. Luongo offers so much more dynamism in the middle, even though he's by no means rapid himself. We don't really miss Evans' ball-playing abilities either.

Although I guess it has to be said that Evans was alongside Morsy in a successful Championship midfield with Wigan...

Think there will be 1 coming in at a minimum in central midfield

Morsy, Luongo, Ball + one other i would have thought, i don't see us keeping him if Luongo goes elsewhere maybe but he doesn't play full seasons, isn't particulary mobile think there's an argument that he slows the pace down with the ball at times.

I can't recall him dominating a big game in league 1, so the step up as a starter might be a step too far.

I think we will want some younger legs in there with Morsy, Luongo being 30 plus, Ball is 27 as well if i recall correctly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024