Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad building for next season 13:10 - May 2 with 12900 viewsAsa

It's going to be a fascinating watch.

McKenna and Ashton will no doubt want to keep the momentum and team spirit but at the same time we are going to have to sacrifice some players who've contributed significantly to maximise the chances of another promotion shot next season.

I could see something like this:

Walton
Coleman
Hladky

Woolfenden
Burgess
Clarke
Donacien
NEW SIGNING (LCB)

Davis
Burns
Leigh

Morsy
Ball
Luongo — Two year deal
NEW SIGNING (CM)
Camara

Chaplin
Edwards
Broadhead
NEW SIGNING — Possibly John-Jules although believe we can now target better

NEW SIGNING (CF)
Ladapo
Jackson
Hirst — Throw the £3m-£4m at Leicester — He’s going to be worth more than that in a short while

Keogh — Retire into coaching role

Edmundson — Allow to leave
Evans — Allow to leave
Harness — Allow to leave
Harper — Allow to leave
Pigott - Allow to leave
Penney — Allow to leave
Aluko — Allow to leave (if not interested in a coaching role yet)
Vincent-Young — Allow to leave
Hayes — Allow to leave

Ahadme — League One loan
El Mizouni — League One loan (Leyton Orient)
Ndaba — League One loan
Humphries - League One loan
Baggott — League One loan
Yengi - League Two / Conference loan

I’d be looking to add a left sided centre back, as brilliant as Burgess has been, because he’s only an injury away from having someone like Edmundson filling in and we’ve all seen the difference in moving the ball across the back line with a natural left footer there.

I think Morsy and Luongo have to be seen as the midfield next season. Ball is a cracking player and Camara offers something different going forward. Whether it’s Jack Taylor or we set our sights higher now, Ball does feel like a step down from the settled two, assuming Luongo stays, so wouldn’t be at all surprised if we aimed for a third player of the Morsy / Luongo ilk so we could continue to play the same game when injury and suspension occurs. Evans is a fantastic player, but just slows down the dynamism too much and I can’t see him being involved much moving forwards even if he was fully fit.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if McKenna looked for someone that can play that 10 role on the left or right. I think Chaplin and Broadhead are in the same boat as Morsy and Luongo. Fantastic, but a drop off if one is out for a period. Edwards is worth keeping. I think with coaching he will improve further, he already has and he offers something different that will likely be huge in the more open Championship where less teams sit behind the ball because they are a tenth of the size of our club. Harness for me offers very little apart from a bit of hard work and an eye for goal which has Macauley Bonned it’s way out of existence. He’s a good League One player and nothing more, so expect us to be ruthless here.

Up top we just have to sign Hirst. He’s 24, he’s found a home. He’s big, strong, wins headers, holds it up, scores all sorts of goal, has a hammer of a strike, is quick. He’s going to be a complete Championship striker for years to come. I’d say we also need another like him to rotate with and would keep Ladapo as third choice (sounds mad — he’s just bagged 20 goals) quite simply because I think he’s a decent player but not a system player and it’s one thing adding a goal or two in a match we are 3-0 up in and cruising but I have never felt fully confident in him bringing in Chaplin and Broadhead or taking what might be his only chance and we are now stepping up a level. Jackson I’d retain because he works his socks off and his pace offers something else we may need in some games. He’s more suited to the division above where there is space to run into than Accrington, Port Vale, Morecambe or Burton playing a low block.

We will be ruthless. Which is why I can see Edmunson, Evans and Harness being seen as the weakest members of the 25 or so that will be prone to being replaced with players good enough to take starting spots off what we have. If we were looking to just stay up I don’t think they move on at all.

Harper, Penney, Vincent-Young, Keogh all leaving are no brainers, with the latter probably moving into coaching. I have loved Sone Aluko at Town, it’s been a joy. But he’s a class player still and deserves to go elsewhere and excite their fans the way he has ours.

Gassan, El Miz, Ndaba and Baggott could all develop as yet. Let them do that. Humphries is going to be a top, top player, but it’ll do him no good being left out of our 18 regularly next season so let him go and get 46 games under his belt on loan.

Wouldn't surprise me to lose the 5 weakest players in the squad rotation as it stands and spend £10-12m on 4 or 5 to compliment what we have with the expectation that they'll be even better.

Whatever happens it'll be fascinating and I completely trust the process!
[Post edited 2 May 2023 13:32]
Squad building for next season on 13:35 - May 3 with 2575 viewsSkip_Intro

Squad building for next season on 08:48 - May 3 by BondiBlue

I've been back and forth on evans. I think we'll keep him for the games where we need to sit deeper and need accurate switches/long passes. Mckenna adapted to league 1 by going more direct so i'd assume he'll adapt to the championship by playing a lower block and counter-aylttacking at times.

Evans is an interesting one for me. Clearly a very good player but Luongo has lifted us to a different level which makes me wonder whether Evans really fits Kmac's system or whether it has been a case of he's just played him beuase there were no real alternatives due to injury etc pre-Luongo.
Evans lacks mobility for me and that often left our back 4 exposed - I think a 3 man midfield suits him better than our system.
Squad building for next season on 13:47 - May 3 with 2516 viewsitfcjoe

Squad building for next season on 13:35 - May 3 by Skip_Intro

Evans is an interesting one for me. Clearly a very good player but Luongo has lifted us to a different level which makes me wonder whether Evans really fits Kmac's system or whether it has been a case of he's just played him beuase there were no real alternatives due to injury etc pre-Luongo.
Evans lacks mobility for me and that often left our back 4 exposed - I think a 3 man midfield suits him better than our system.

I think that mobility going to be even more vital in the Championship as well - Evans never really cut it there for one reason or another

This is now 3rd time he's been promoted out of League 1, and despite spending 6 seasons at Championship clubs has started less than 100 games at that level. Not checked injury records etc so may be linked but does rather suggest he hasn't quite cut the mustard there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Squad building for next season on 14:22 - May 3 with 2451 viewsportmanking

Squad building for next season on 13:47 - May 3 by itfcjoe

I think that mobility going to be even more vital in the Championship as well - Evans never really cut it there for one reason or another

This is now 3rd time he's been promoted out of League 1, and despite spending 6 seasons at Championship clubs has started less than 100 games at that level. Not checked injury records etc so may be linked but does rather suggest he hasn't quite cut the mustard there

He was quite an integral part of Cook's Wigan midfield in the Championship though? Before their owners bet on their relegation etc...
Squad building for next season on 14:31 - May 3 with 2423 viewsitfcjoe

Squad building for next season on 14:22 - May 3 by portmanking

He was quite an integral part of Cook's Wigan midfield in the Championship though? Before their owners bet on their relegation etc...

2018-19 - Wigan 18th - 31 starts, 3 sub appearances
2019/20 - Wigan 23rd* - 18 starts, 14 sub appearances

In that second season, they were really a midtable team, but he dropped out of side at start of Feb and was basically a sub when they were on that crazy run

They finished the season with 10 wins, 6 draws and a defeat, but he didn't start any of the last 14 games

Squad building for next season on 14:47 - May 3 with 2359 viewsportmanking

Squad building for next season on 14:31 - May 3 by itfcjoe

2018-19 - Wigan 18th - 31 starts, 3 sub appearances
2019/20 - Wigan 23rd* - 18 starts, 14 sub appearances

In that second season, they were really a midtable team, but he dropped out of side at start of Feb and was basically a sub when they were on that crazy run

They finished the season with 10 wins, 6 draws and a defeat, but he didn't start any of the last 14 games

Fair enough.

I totally agree he's not what we need in terms of a partner for Morsy in the Champ. I think it'll be fascinating to see where the long-term future of Luongo lies.
Squad building for next season on 14:55 - May 3 with 2327 viewsitfcjoe

Squad building for next season on 14:47 - May 3 by portmanking

Fair enough.

I totally agree he's not what we need in terms of a partner for Morsy in the Champ. I think it'll be fascinating to see where the long-term future of Luongo lies.

Be interested to see if Taylor link revisited, as I assume it will be, or whether having played Morsy alongside Luongo it has given McK a new idea of what he needs there - i.e ultra mobile, physical player in there who is technically decent on the ball and can get it moving.....rather than someone who lacks some of the physical gufts but is better on the ball

Squad building for next season on 15:25 - May 3 with 2238 viewstextbackup

Squad building for next season on 16:45 - May 2 by Kropotkin123

(imo) What they are capable of next season if a starter.

Walton - top 6
Hladky - unsure

Woolfenden - top 6
Burgess - top 6
Edmundson - mid table
New Player - Imagine we will look to attract a player that would be lower Premiership quality

Clarke - top 6
Donacien - mid table

Davis - top 6
Leigh - mid table

Morsy - top 6
Luongo - top 6
Ball - mid table
Evans - mid table
Camara - unsure

Burns - top 6
Jackson - relegation battle. I would replace, not sure we will

Broadhead - top 6
Edwards - mid table - think I rate him higher that the manager
Harness - relegation battle - I would replace, not sure we will

Chaplin - top 6
New player - likely TJJ - mid table

New player - Likely Hirst -top 6
Ladapo - mid table

Likely targets
Hirst - top six, ahead of Ladapo
John-Jules - mid table, behind Chaplin

Leaves playing staff
Keogh
Harper
Pigott
Penney
Aluko
Vincent-Young
Ahadme
El Mizouni - Maybe loan, seems somewhat pointless. If we are targeting premiership, I don't see him breaking in. Note, I didn't see Humphreys playing league games this time last season
Ndaba
Humphries - League One loan
Baggott — League One loan

I think we might also see some surprises. Eg, I didn't expect to see Donacien drop out of the first 11 in January. But Clarke was bought in and here we are. That could happen in the middle, if a lower Premiership player became available. I don't think we will see more than 2-3 changes to the starting lineup between now and the start of the season. I think we will be more ruthless next January, depending on how players step up.

We've looked to build a team that can compete in the Championship, and I think we have largely achieved that.

Donacien - was in a terrible championship team, that finished bottom… remember?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Squad building for next season on 15:48 - May 3 with 2196 viewsportmanking

Squad building for next season on 14:55 - May 3 by itfcjoe

Be interested to see if Taylor link revisited, as I assume it will be, or whether having played Morsy alongside Luongo it has given McK a new idea of what he needs there - i.e ultra mobile, physical player in there who is technically decent on the ball and can get it moving.....rather than someone who lacks some of the physical gufts but is better on the ball

Yeah, although I'm not sure Taylor is particularly shy in the physical side of the game. He's 6ft+ and can play box-to-box. I just wonder whether CM might be an area the club decides to push the boat out and try for a real marquee addition to complement Morsy? Hell, we may still decide to keep Luongo, especially if we let Evans go. A four-man midfield option of Morsy, Marquee Signing, Luongo and Ball wouldn't be too shabby!
Login to get fewer ads

Squad building for next season on 15:58 - May 3 with 2168 viewsjayessess

Squad building for next season on 15:25 - May 3 by textbackup

Only briefly! (Only made 10 appearances for us that season, went out on loan from January)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Squad building for next seasons on 16:25 - May 3 with 2128 viewsgloucester_tractor

Squad building for next seasons on 14:41 - May 2 by davblue

Think there will be 1 coming in at a minimum in central midfield

Morsy, Luongo, Ball + one other i would have thought, i don't see us keeping him if Luongo goes elsewhere maybe but he doesn't play full seasons, isn't particulary mobile think there's an argument that he slows the pace down with the ball at times.

I can't recall him dominating a big game in league 1, so the step up as a starter might be a step too far.

I think we will want some younger legs in there with Morsy, Luongo being 30 plus, Ball is 27 as well if i recall correctly.

Are biggest asset is McKenna
Not sure how long his deal is but extend it
If Crystal Place think Duff is good enough look out for any clubs around that come knocking

Son of GUS

Squad building for next season on 17:02 - May 3 with 2046 viewskeebsdad

Squad building for next season on 09:27 - May 3 by Vic

I’d definately like to keep the current first team together, and upgrade some of the back up options for better competition.

However, our Brizzel friends do love to tell us that Ashton has been known to sell the better players and replace with other to come through. I think he’s actually on record as saying that that is part of the way the club makes its money. I think he called it ‘Player trading’.

So, for instance if ITFC were to be offered £10m for a striker who has scored 29 goals (and counting) this year, do we think that Ashton is going to say 'No'? If we are looking at players who have added to their sales value over the course of the last 12 months then Chaplin is the most obvious.

Cue meltdown on here if that happens.
Squad building for next season on 18:02 - May 3 with 1980 viewsjasondozzell

Let's trust this squad and back them in the championship. Will be a lot more fun that way!

I get the excitement at potential new signings but I do think that one of the sad things about the modern game is the way Sky and social media hype has created this sort of 'video game' approach to football where everything is just about upgrades and everyone's discardable. I know it's a ruthless business but I think we've built a squad for the championship already in this league. I'm sure we will strengthen but Burgess has earned the right to play championship football. Jackson played against Burnley and McKenna raved about his performance. Donacien has been one of the most consistent and reliable players again this year. Evans also superb before injury and same for Harness!

I don't think McKenna will change too much. He likes improving and developing players.
[Post edited 3 May 2023 18:13]
Squad building for next season on 07:06 - May 4 with 1766 viewsClutch

Can't see Edmondson leaving, or Jackson/Evans staying.
Squad building for next season on 11:57 - May 4 with 1615 viewsMaySixth

Biggest area of focus has to be attack and upgrading Ladapo (good player, maybe not top end of Champ)

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Squad building for next season on 12:20 - May 4 with 1551 viewsdirtyboy

Squad building for next season on 11:57 - May 4 by MaySixth

Biggest area of focus has to be attack and upgrading Ladapo (good player, maybe not top end of Champ)

Ladapo still scored in the Championship in a poor Rotherham team. He's improved and still scored 20 this season.

He's a decent player to take into a Championship season. Certainly difficult to upgrade, downside is his age, but that helps with him potentially accepting a lesser role and he probably likes the impact he's been having from the bench after Hirst has run a defence ragged for 70 mins!
Squad building for next season on 13:14 - May 4 with 1496 viewsjayessess

Squad building for next season on 12:20 - May 4 by dirtyboy

Ladapo still scored in the Championship in a poor Rotherham team. He's improved and still scored 20 this season.

He's a decent player to take into a Championship season. Certainly difficult to upgrade, downside is his age, but that helps with him potentially accepting a lesser role and he probably likes the impact he's been having from the bench after Hirst has run a defence ragged for 70 mins!

Unless they're wildly off the required quality (like Matt Penney and Joe Pigott last Summer) it generally shouldn't be a priority to replace good squad players.

The 5 subs rule and the 60/30 striker rotation we do changes that equation slightly, but only a bit for me.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Squad building for next season on 15:12 - May 4 with 1377 viewsCityBlue

I would want to see if Rhys Healey has recovered well from his ruptured ACL as he would be an ideal strike replacement for Hirst should we not secure his services.

I T I D

Squad building for next season on 15:15 - May 4 with 1364 viewsKropotkin123

Squad building for next season on 09:13 - May 3 by tractordownsouth

If we get Hirst back it'll be the most important thing we do all summer, but I don't think he's currently a top six championship striker. He's played 41 games at that level and hasn't scored a goal.

I wouldn't rate Burgess or Burns as top six standard either, they're the two positions I think we'll look to bring in a starting player for.

I think in our set up that will change significantly, which is the reason for my assessment. If we just go by previous performance then many would drop. Chaplin, Donacien, Clarke, etc

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Squad building for next season on 15:21 - May 4 with 1346 viewsKropotkin123

Squad building for next season on 15:25 - May 3 by textbackup

As with my reply to TDS, it is about the performance I expect. Donacien has improved immeasurably since then imo. He was also surrounded by other relegation quality players. I think he can step into a mid table side next season and not look out of place.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024