Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... 23:39 - May 12 with 4885 viewsAdelaideblue

I have to say I hate the play offs...

The season ended and let's be honest the top three teams were head and shoulders better than the rest if Div 1 this year, but due to pressure, morale, or what ever it looks like one won't be going up.

Regardless of how we feel about any particular team,surely that's neither fair or right...?
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:43 - May 12 with 3662 viewsTheBoyBlue

Everyone knows the situation at the start of the season.

We three went hell for leather because we knew there were only 2 spots between the 3 of us.

And as much as it is horrible being the one who misses out on automatics and has to go through the play-offs (and obviously we've been there), it adds extra excitement and jeopardy to the end of the season.

I love them. Although so glad we aren't involved in them this season.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:48 - May 12 with 3619 viewsGuthrum

But other seasons there will be very little between 3rd and 6th. Would it then be fair for them to miss out because this season it was different?

Besides which, Sheffield Wednesday had automatic promotion in the palm of their hand and wildly threw it away. Not sure they're worthy of special consideration.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:49 - May 12 with 3613 viewsChurchman

No, it’s not right. But every team knows the rules at the start of the season so there it is. Fair enough.

Play offs are inherently ridiculous and after a 46 game season, Wednesday fully deserved promotion. But it isn’t how it works. We of all clubs have been on the rough end of this but the reality is that play off games are as exciting as you’ll ever attend.

They preserve the season a lot longer for many more clubs. They are interesting for neutrals and the torture for the clubs involved is all part of it.

So for all their daftness, keep them as they are.
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:50 - May 12 with 3605 viewsSE1blue

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:43 - May 12 by TheBoyBlue

Everyone knows the situation at the start of the season.

We three went hell for leather because we knew there were only 2 spots between the 3 of us.

And as much as it is horrible being the one who misses out on automatics and has to go through the play-offs (and obviously we've been there), it adds extra excitement and jeopardy to the end of the season.

I love them. Although so glad we aren't involved in them this season.

I like the playoffs as I think the leagues below the Premiership need some drama and highs and lows to compete for attention.

I’d love to see some kind of home advantage though. I don’t think it should be over two legs. The higher placed team should get to play at home in a one-off game. Winner progresses to the final.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:53 - May 12 with 3577 viewsAdelaideblue

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:50 - May 12 by SE1blue

I like the playoffs as I think the leagues below the Premiership need some drama and highs and lows to compete for attention.

I’d love to see some kind of home advantage though. I don’t think it should be over two legs. The higher placed team should get to play at home in a one-off game. Winner progresses to the final.

Not sure a one off game would be better, increases possibility of one error or poor decision effecting the result
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:58 - May 12 with 3560 viewspositivity

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:50 - May 12 by SE1blue

can see the positives in this. it seems unfair that the 6th placed team gets a home game against the 3rd placed team who are more often than not gutted at just missing out on autos.

the national league system looks better, but that almost went very wrong for notts county!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 00:10 - May 13 with 3511 viewsVegtablue

Happy for them to be rejigged a bit but boy would it be dull without them. Half the league would be on the beach with 10 matches to play this season.
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 00:28 - May 13 with 3465 viewspbishop1799

In a season like this, yes, it seems unfair (on Wednesday). But broadly speaking, the play-off system is the least worst way of keeping the league competitive and the fans engaged until the last game. Would you prefer dead rubber matches and empty stadiums for half the season?
[Post edited 13 May 2023 0:29]
Login to get fewer ads

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 00:41 - May 13 with 3402 viewsBluemer

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 00:28 - May 13 by pbishop1799

In a season like this, yes, it seems unfair (on Wednesday). But broadly speaking, the play-off system is the least worst way of keeping the league competitive and the fans engaged until the last game. Would you prefer dead rubber matches and empty stadiums for half the season?
[Post edited 13 May 2023 0:29]

Agree with this, let's not forget the whole point of professional football is entertainment.
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 00:44 - May 13 with 3377 viewsBluespeed225

remember us and west ham in 05'? But, we didn't get over the line (again) and it went to the lottery of the play offs. Thing is, it's not a lottery, you get in one of 4 slots, then its , forget what has come before, its 3 games to go up, re-set and go for it. 05' has cost us to this day.
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 00:53 - May 13 with 3353 viewspbishop1799

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 00:41 - May 13 by Bluemer

Agree with this, let's not forget the whole point of professional football is entertainment.

Entertainment is the number 1 priority. Ironically, I used to despise VAR - believing that dodgy referee decisions were part of the spectacle, and crucial to the post-mortem. I changed my mind after watching the England-France game during the last world cup. The second penalty decision created UNBEARABLE tension and drama. It was the real deal! I suspect that's also why football authorities have decided to allow up to 10 mins of injury time now. More late goals, more madness (à la Charlton away).
[Post edited 13 May 2023 1:01]
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 01:26 - May 13 with 3270 viewsSarge

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 00:53 - May 13 by pbishop1799

Entertainment is the number 1 priority. Ironically, I used to despise VAR - believing that dodgy referee decisions were part of the spectacle, and crucial to the post-mortem. I changed my mind after watching the England-France game during the last world cup. The second penalty decision created UNBEARABLE tension and drama. It was the real deal! I suspect that's also why football authorities have decided to allow up to 10 mins of injury time now. More late goals, more madness (à la Charlton away).
[Post edited 13 May 2023 1:01]

Tension and drama should be borne out by what happens on the pitch though. Not artificially created by stopping the game for 10 minutes whilst some people in a portacabin miles away draw blurry lines on a blurry screen and try and make perfect decisions with imperfect measurements. What’s fun about partially celebrating a goal and then having to wait to do the rest?

The whole thing is a sham and, like voter ID, is worse than whatever problem it was apparently trying to fix.
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 01:34 - May 13 with 3266 viewsBigCommon

There's an argument to say that a team that loses to FGR and gets hammered 4-0 At Posh, ain't all that.
Perhaps their points total flatters them a bit?
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 06:16 - May 13 with 3024 viewsPioneerBlue

There was a thread on this a few months back. This season I’ve heard this from a lot of people. I’m of the same view though, it’s an important part of the league, it is known by all; it is a way to keep 12-6 engaged through later part of season; if 6-10 lost interest top 4 would probably run away with things even earlier. Format is good to watch for neutrals. I’m not saying it couldn’t be tweaked, the idea of 3rd having a pass to Wembley is worthy of debate. The thing with that is 3rd would be really under cooked after finishing early May then waiting for other to then play a month later. The idea of L1 playing a team from Champ is a non starter for me, the gaps are too big with summer transfer activities and you risk no up down change at all.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 06:51 - May 13 with 2960 viewsPendejo

I will repeat myself

A bit sad on here tonight by Pendejo 12 May 2023 21:11
All the teams starting the season know that finishing 3rd to 6th lands you in the play offs, a bit like scoring 101 goals, losing fewest games and coming 2nd.

Look at Championship; Sunderland and Blackburn level on points, separated by GD.

Football is largely a cruel mistress, it's an abusive relationship, but every now and again comes a thing of beauty crafted by a fine young rookie manager.

And add play off system has been in place since 86/87, albeit slightly different in its first few years.

If it was down to me it needs a tweak and run it like National League version in which 6 teams are involved.
The 2 highest placed teams play a one off home game against one of the winners of games between the next 4 teams. The winners contest AT

Not being of sound mind and body, I would also introduce;

Play off between Championship winner and lowest placed European qualifier for that place in Europe. Or even the 4th CL spot, it is, afterall, Champions League.

Plymouth to compete in Championship PO as a reward for winning L1
Orient L1 PO
Wrexham L2 PO

Yep I know, insane.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 06:58 - May 13 with 2923 viewsPendejo

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:48 - May 12 by Guthrum

But other seasons there will be very little between 3rd and 6th. Would it then be fair for them to miss out because this season it was different?

Besides which, Sheffield Wednesday had automatic promotion in the palm of their hand and wildly threw it away. Not sure they're worthy of special consideration.

Indeed, they got promoted in February, been On the beach since waiting for the new season in Championship to start... Oh!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 07:05 - May 13 with 2907 viewsHackneyblueboy

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 06:16 - May 13 by PioneerBlue

There was a thread on this a few months back. This season I’ve heard this from a lot of people. I’m of the same view though, it’s an important part of the league, it is known by all; it is a way to keep 12-6 engaged through later part of season; if 6-10 lost interest top 4 would probably run away with things even earlier. Format is good to watch for neutrals. I’m not saying it couldn’t be tweaked, the idea of 3rd having a pass to Wembley is worthy of debate. The thing with that is 3rd would be really under cooked after finishing early May then waiting for other to then play a month later. The idea of L1 playing a team from Champ is a non starter for me, the gaps are too big with summer transfer activities and you risk no up down change at all.

How about a system where every 4 or 5 points gains a goal advantage. If Wednesday finished 12 points ahead of 6th place they would start the first leg of the playoffs with a 3 goal lead.

For example if teams 4 and 5 in the league finish within 3 points of each other, the tie starts 0-0 as normal.

That would be fair and it wouldn't totally wipe out 6th places chances of getting to Wembley, as seen by yesterday's result. This would also encourage all teams in the top 6 to fight for every point until the last game of the season.

Or you could have a system where a draw over two legs would mean the team in the higher league position prevails.

Or even requiring the lower team to win both legs of the playoffs. Peterborough would need to win the first game to get an opportunity of a second tie at Hillsborough in a second one off game.

Plenty ways of making it fairer whilst maintaining the entertainment and ensuring the sense of jeopardy remains throughout the season
[Post edited 13 May 2023 7:09]
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 07:24 - May 13 with 2825 viewswkj

I think the playoffs should remain but the top team outside of the automatics should go straight to the finals where either 4th and 5th have a semi final or they do a system with 4th-7th competing to get the other place in the finals.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 07:55 - May 13 with 2726 viewsWickets

For years there was only 2 up and 2 down in all 4 leagues so the play offs can be seen as an extra and a free hit . Also the play offs are very entertaining and lucrative of course but i agree it seems wrong that a 19 point gap that has taken a whole season gets wiped out by a single match . It's a tough world so take it on the chin Owls and come back stronger its the only way .
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 07:59 - May 13 with 2707 viewsWickets

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:48 - May 12 by Guthrum

Of course and i agree but i cant help and feel a bit sorry for the Owls fans , reminds me of a time when we got done by West Han after finishing clear of them in the Championship table .
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 08:51 - May 13 with 2590 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Given how the three teams at the top have run away with it, the season would have effectively been a dead rubber for all the other teams since March. Better this and keep the season alive for more teams if you ask me.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 08:53 - May 13 with 2566 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah, I’m not totally convinced by them. They’re not really in place for the right reasons. It’s all about money and drama (which they deliver on both, in spades) rather than fairness.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 08:58 - May 13 with 2528 viewsibbleobble

Disagree. I think it creates more of a level playing field. Sometimes clubs have slow starts to the season as they’re selling clubs and it takes them a while to get going versus clubs with parachute payments or more affluent established sides who get off to flyers. I like the swing in seasonal form that opens the door for opportunity- it makes it more exciting and levels the playing field from time-to-time.
But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 09:00 - May 13 with 2514 viewsGlasgowBlue

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, the season would be over for most times by March and the loss I’d revenue would impact in those clubs.

I would change the format of the play offs though. I’d expand it to the teams finishing 3rd to 7th, the team finishing 3rd is automatically through to the final at Wembley, with the other 4 playing two semi finals over two legs, then a one leg final at the home ground of whichever team finished in the highest position. The winner meets 3rd at Wembley.

Edit. I see WKJ proposing something similar.
[Post edited 13 May 2023 9:03]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 09:01 - May 13 with 2509 viewsN2_Blue

But seriously, isn't that the problem with playoffs.... on 23:49 - May 12 by Churchman

No, it’s not right. But every team knows the rules at the start of the season so there it is. Fair enough.

Play offs are inherently ridiculous and after a 46 game season, Wednesday fully deserved promotion. But it isn’t how it works. We of all clubs have been on the rough end of this but the reality is that play off games are as exciting as you’ll ever attend.

They preserve the season a lot longer for many more clubs. They are interesting for neutrals and the torture for the clubs involved is all part of it.

So for all their daftness, keep them as they are.

Why did Wednesday deserve promotion? They were only good enough to finish 3rd in a competition that has two automatic spots. They also lost to Forest Green at a time they were in control of their own destiny.

I don’t understand talk about teams finishing 3rd deserving promotion when they know the rules. Make sure you finish in the top 2 or otherwise you’re not quite good enough to be given promotion, you need to go out and earn it over 3 more games.

Wednesday looked liked the aging fragile team that they have been at times this season, it’s caught up with them.

When Ipswich finished 15 points ahead of West Ham I was gutted we lost but wasn’t crying that it was unfair. Unfortunately we weren’t good enough for the top 2 so we only deserved a battle in the playoffs which were the rules of the competition we are entered for.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024