Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Female experience at away matches. Horrible. 08:12 - Jun 3 with 11850 viewsSeablue

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jun/03/women-are-expected-to-put-
Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 08:32 - Jun 3 with 6579 viewstextbackup

My daughter (11) said Peterborough away last season was her favourite ever game, reasons she gave, because it was really loud, we thrashed them, and everyone was drunk and crazy.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 08:40 - Jun 3 with 6547 viewsbrazil1982

Blub
Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 08:44 - Jun 3 with 6503 viewsStokieBlue

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 08:40 - Jun 3 by brazil1982

Blub

Nice to see you concisely confirm the point of the article.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 08:59 - Jun 3 with 6443 viewsgtsb1966

Although the whole football experience is a lot better than it was in the 70's & 80's the things described in that article will never go away. Some people are saying we are slowly going backwards.
Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 08:59 - Jun 3 with 6438 viewsBlueBadger

Blub

Fancy that, a Board Tory who is entirely comfortable with harassment, sexual assault and bigotry.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 09:03 - Jun 3 with 6411 viewsPinewoodblue

After reading this well written article I saw a similarity between Football Clubs and Political Party’s.

Both know the problems that exist and both are reluctant to do anything about them unless a formal complaint is made.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I think we're going backwards generally not just at footy on 09:07 - Jun 3 with 6397 viewsDyland

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 08:59 - Jun 3 by gtsb1966

Although the whole football experience is a lot better than it was in the 70's & 80's the things described in that article will never go away. Some people are saying we are slowly going backwards.

People have always behaved like canutes but even then, back on the day, there was some acknowledgement and even courtesy, like people smiling and waving apology when they've blocked the road for a bit, etc. These days there seems to be so little courtesy or manners out and about, and people behave so selfishly it's like amorality is the new norm.

Fook everyone basically :)

Er, COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 09:22 - Jun 3 with 6326 viewsMullet

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 08:59 - Jun 3 by gtsb1966

Never go away vs normalising them is different though.

There's a lot that can be done, from simply drowning out these songs and chants to direct confrontations. The biggest factor is people who refuse to accept responsibility for their behaviour though, people around them enabling that is probably the biggest barrier.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

I think we're going backwards generally not just at footy on 09:28 - Jun 3 with 6292 viewsMullet

I think we're going backwards generally not just at footy on 09:07 - Jun 3 by Dyland

People have always behaved like canutes but even then, back on the day, there was some acknowledgement and even courtesy, like people smiling and waving apology when they've blocked the road for a bit, etc. These days there seems to be so little courtesy or manners out and about, and people behave so selfishly it's like amorality is the new norm.

Er, COYFB

I don't remember Profumo like you boys, but Radio 4 had someone on making the point that he disappeared into disgrace and was so ashamed he spent the rest of his life doing good, avoiding the limelight.

Compare that to Trump/Johnson and there is a precedent that this sort of behaviour is ok because it happens at the very top. So it filters down. Stratified diffusion for assholes basically.

Not sure I buy it entirely, but it does feel like poor behaviour breeds success right now.

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 09:30 - Jun 3 with 6259 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Blub

"You fat bastard "

......was the chant that has most annoyed Junior when it was being repeatedly sung at Wycombe away and she let people know it too.
The chants at women officials are embarrassing too.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I think we're going backwards generally not just at footy on 09:31 - Jun 3 with 6230 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I think we're going backwards generally not just at footy on 09:28 - Jun 3 by Mullet

I don't remember Profumo like you boys, but Radio 4 had someone on making the point that he disappeared into disgrace and was so ashamed he spent the rest of his life doing good, avoiding the limelight.

Compare that to Trump/Johnson and there is a precedent that this sort of behaviour is ok because it happens at the very top. So it filters down. Stratified diffusion for assholes basically.

Not sure I buy it entirely, but it does feel like poor behaviour breeds success right now.

It's how Capitalism works. Sociopathic behaviour reaps financial reward.

Prufumo? on 09:33 - Jun 3 with 6225 viewsDyland

I think we're going backwards generally not just at footy on 09:28 - Jun 3 by Mullet

You cheeky little canute x

You see, I put a kiss after the insult. Old school courtesy innit.

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 09:39 - Jun 3 with 6184 viewsRobTheMonk

Football seems to be an excuse to be an arsehole for many.
I think we're going backwards generally not just at footy on 10:19 - Jun 3 with 6026 viewsGuthrum

I think we're going backwards generally not just at footy on 09:07 - Jun 3 by Dyland

Er, COYFB

I've posted before about the erosion of concepts such as "duty" and "society" in favour of selfish individualism. Unfortunately, the latter has been pushed in the media and politics for several decades and will take a long time (or major events) to reverse the balance back towards the middle.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

True dat on 10:54 - Jun 3 with 5906 viewsDyland

I think we're going backwards generally not just at footy on 10:19 - Jun 3 by Guthrum

I've posted before about the erosion of concepts such as "duty" and "society" in favour of selfish individualism. Unfortunately, the latter has been pushed in the media and politics for several decades and will take a long time (or major events) to reverse the balance back towards the middle.

Back to the article, I'm a male middle aged pot bellied honky, and I don't bother with away games any more. Too many incapably drunk people who are totally mindless. I don't mind being barged around and even covered in beer if it's jovial, nor have I anything against raucous noise and naughty words, if it's vaguely witty and/or in the heat of a crackling game and atmosphere. I've just noticed more and more brainless fookwits over last few years and it doesn't float my boat any more. I'm pretty sure it's not just me getting older, though I accept that may be part of it, innit.

EDIT: This is key... "No one suggested a blanket ban on offensive language at football, but when the primary aim of attending is to scream abuse, surely that crosses the line?"
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 11:00]

True dat on 11:48 - Jun 3 with 5718 viewsSwansea_Blue

True dat on 10:54 - Jun 3 by Dyland

Back to the article, I'm a male middle aged pot bellied honky, and I don't bother with away games any more. Too many incapably drunk people who are totally mindless. I don't mind being barged around and even covered in beer if it's jovial, nor have I anything against raucous noise and naughty words, if it's vaguely witty and/or in the heat of a crackling game and atmosphere. I've just noticed more and more brainless fookwits over last few years and it doesn't float my boat any more. I'm pretty sure it's not just me getting older, though I accept that may be part of it, innit.

EDIT: This is key... "No one suggested a blanket ban on offensive language at football, but when the primary aim of attending is to scream abuse, surely that crosses the line?"
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 11:00]

It pretty grim at times. A lot of people having shifted from mostly supporting their team to mostly abusing the opposition/fans, as per you edit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Prufumo? on 12:34 - Jun 3 with 5610 viewsMullet

Prufumo? on 09:33 - Jun 3 by Dyland

You cheeky little canute x

You see, I put a kiss after the insult. Old school courtesy innit.

It's what I deserve.

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 12:43 - Jun 3 with 5568 viewsJ2BLUE

One female supporter spoke of experiencing sexual assaults regularly when following her team and going to other games with friends. “I’ve normalised it,” she said. “You’d think I’d turn around and call them out, but I didn’t. Last time, it was only [when] walking back to the car I said to my husband: ‘Oh yeah, that’s happened again.’ I should have been more horrified, but it happens all the time, particularly at away games where people have been drinking all day. They think that’s acceptable. I don’t accept that.”

Sexual assaults? What the hell?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 12:44 - Jun 3 with 5547 viewsJ2BLUE

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 09:30 - Jun 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

"You fat bastard "

......was the chant that has most annoyed Junior when it was being repeatedly sung at Wycombe away and she let people know it too.

Why didn't she like that?

Asking as a self confessed fat bastard.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 13:38 - Jun 3 with 5399 viewsLankHenners

Posted at the time but there was some pretty unsavoury stuff being shouted at MK Dons away when we had a female ref. Not that it should make a difference anyway but particularly uncomfortable as it was very much a 'family day out' vibe in the stands with lots of women and children about.

One guy I thought was going to explode with the amount of bile he was shouting out as he stood next to his, I assumed, his partner and young daughter until one of his party told him to shut up.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 14:22 - Jun 3 with 5297 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 12:44 - Jun 3 by J2BLUE

Why didn't she like that?

Asking as a self confessed fat bastard.

A mixture of body shaming and the fact that the blads repeatedly doing it thought they were the funniest thing ever. It was a slightly grumpy time of the month too which probably shortened her fuse.

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 14:37 - Jun 3 with 5249 viewsNeedhamChris

Die die Delia Delia die and she's a whore not exactly ideal from a former "family club of the year" either

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 14:39 - Jun 3 with 5239 viewsNeedhamChris

Blub

All the upvoters to this get a free membership to 'Neanderthals are us"

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 14:42 - Jun 3 with 5219 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 09:30 - Jun 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

"You fat bastard "

Don’t ever introduce them to Harry10!
Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 14:47 - Jun 3 with 5146 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Female experience at away matches. Horrible. on 14:39 - Jun 3 by NeedhamChris

All the upvoters to this get a free membership to 'Neanderthals are us"

Look what you made me do when I took a look!! I'm blaming sun glare.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024