Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think we need a game clock... 19:10 - Aug 6 with 4810 viewsZx1988

If the EFL are going to seriously persist with accurate added time, I think we need game clocks sooner rather than later.

There must be a psychological impact on both sides to suddenly finding out you've got to hold out for another 15mins, or have a extra 15mins to go for the win.

It'll be interesting to see whether there's a correlation between the length of added time post-90mins, and the number of goals scored by winning/losing teams.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

I think we need a game clock... on 19:15 - Aug 6 with 3275 viewsITFCson

Yeah something needed to change but it’s gone to far. It’s supposed to be more accurate for subs injuries and celebrations. 13 mins was over the top. Plus if 45 mins yields 13 mins then the 13 mins should have about 4 added and the 4 another 1 added.
I think we need a game clock... on 19:17 - Aug 6 with 3259 viewsredrickstuhaart

If that sort of ridiculous added time is going to appear, then it needs to be transparent.

There was a single substantial stoppage in the entire game. Bizarre timing.

There will be more cards and more injuries asking players to play a half of extra time each game. Just deal with actual time wasting at source.
I think we need a game clock... on 19:18 - Aug 6 with 3239 viewsZx1988

I think we need a game clock... on 19:15 - Aug 6 by ITFCson

Yeah something needed to change but it’s gone to far. It’s supposed to be more accurate for subs injuries and celebrations. 13 mins was over the top. Plus if 45 mins yields 13 mins then the 13 mins should have about 4 added and the 4 another 1 added.

I've no gripe with the 13mins - I can broadly see where it came from. It's more the impact that the sudden announcement will probably have had on this game, and will have on other games going forwards.

I think we need a game clock... on 19:23 - Aug 6 with 3193 viewsZx1988

I think we need a game clock... on 19:17 - Aug 6 by redrickstuhaart

If that sort of ridiculous added time is going to appear, then it needs to be transparent.

There will be more cards and more injuries asking players to play a half of extra time each game. Just deal with actual time wasting at source.

I'm not sure it's quite accurate to claim that players will be playing significantly more than they would usually.

There are plenty of halves/games where the play goes by with minimal/no stoppages, and the referee blows up the moment the clock ticks over onto 45/90mins. So the players are used to playing for the majority of a half.

I think we need a game clock... on 19:24 - Aug 6 with 3191 viewsredrickstuhaart

I think we need a game clock... on 19:18 - Aug 6 by Zx1988

I've no gripe with the 13mins - I can broadly see where it came from. It's more the impact that the sudden announcement will probably have had on this game, and will have on other games going forwards.

I have no idea where it came from. No time wasting warnings bar one early on. One long stoppage.

Normal ball out of play is a part of the game.
I think we need a game clock... on 19:30 - Aug 6 with 3137 viewsredrickstuhaart

I think we need a game clock... on 19:23 - Aug 6 by Zx1988

I'm not sure it's quite accurate to claim that players will be playing significantly more than they would usually.

There are plenty of halves/games where the play goes by with minimal/no stoppages, and the referee blows up the moment the clock ticks over onto 45/90mins. So the players are used to playing for the majority of a half.

That makes no sense. They have just played a half of extra time on top.
I think we need a game clock... on 20:05 - Aug 6 with 3037 viewsZx1988

I think we need a game clock... on 19:30 - Aug 6 by redrickstuhaart

That makes no sense. They have just played a half of extra time on top.

They may spend an extra 15mins on the pitch, but they shouldn't spend any longer running around.

If they play a half with minimal stoppages and no additional time, they would end up running about for just as long as if they played a disrupted half with 13mins added on at the end.

I think we need a game clock... on 20:11 - Aug 6 with 2995 viewsredrickstuhaart

I think we need a game clock... on 20:05 - Aug 6 by Zx1988

They may spend an extra 15mins on the pitch, but they shouldn't spend any longer running around.

If they play a half with minimal stoppages and no additional time, they would end up running about for just as long as if they played a disrupted half with 13mins added on at the end.

Simply not true.

Firstly players keep moving when the ball is out of play. They are moving up and down the pitch and making runs etc. Secondly, there were not 15 minutes worth of actual stoppages outside of what is normal.
Login to get fewer ads

I think we need a game clock... on 21:08 - Aug 6 with 2866 viewsPilgrimblue

It’s going to get ridiculous with some teams playing for extra time!
I wish they’d just stop the clock when ref judges that the game can’t continue. Rugby manage it!!
Plus refs should card any player feigning injury like rolling around in agony then jumping up and racing around clearly showing no ill affects. In other words cheating.
I think we need a game clock... on 21:16 - Aug 6 with 2840 viewsBluebell

There are going to be a lot of people missing trains if the game goes on that long at Ipswich!

There is usually a rush to the station if there are 4 or 5 minutes of extra time. Could now mean waiting an hour for the next train.
I think we need a game clock... on 21:19 - Aug 6 with 2821 viewsDubtractor

Quite telling that Mowbray was pretty unimpressed with the extra time, even though they were most likely to benefit from it.

"Is that what football's going to be like now - 13, 14, 15 minutes added on? I'm not trying to deflect from the match, I'm just trying to say 'is this what we have to do for the next 40 weeks?' Goodness me."

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I think we need a game clock... on 21:22 - Aug 6 with 2802 viewsstonojnr

I think we need a game clock... on 21:16 - Aug 6 by Bluebell

There are going to be a lot of people missing trains if the game goes on that long at Ipswich!

There is usually a rush to the station if there are 4 or 5 minutes of extra time. Could now mean waiting an hour for the next train.

I think it will settle down once players and teams get used to it and stop wasting as much time as they normally are used to, there will be urgency from the switched on teams to keep the game going, so as not to prolong the game for those late goal attacks, as opposed to the way teams are used to delaying things.
I think we need a game clock... on 21:22 - Aug 6 with 2805 viewspointofblue

I think we need a game clock... on 21:19 - Aug 6 by Dubtractor

Quite telling that Mowbray was pretty unimpressed with the extra time, even though they were most likely to benefit from it.

"Is that what football's going to be like now - 13, 14, 15 minutes added on? I'm not trying to deflect from the match, I'm just trying to say 'is this what we have to do for the next 40 weeks?' Goodness me."

Guardiola was also unimpressed after the Community Shield (8 minutes to start with, then a further five after a clash of heads in injury time), thoug obviously City lost out through it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I think we need a game clock... on 21:25 - Aug 6 with 2784 viewstractorboy1978

I think we need a game clock... on 21:22 - Aug 6 by stonojnr

I think it will settle down once players and teams get used to it and stop wasting as much time as they normally are used to, there will be urgency from the switched on teams to keep the game going, so as not to prolong the game for those late goal attacks, as opposed to the way teams are used to delaying things.

I didn't think we really delayed things though. Last season that would have been 6 minutes added on. Half our games at PR last season would have been 20+ minutes this season!
I think we need a game clock... on 21:45 - Aug 6 with 2721 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I think we need a game clock... on 21:25 - Aug 6 by tractorboy1978

I didn't think we really delayed things though. Last season that would have been 6 minutes added on. Half our games at PR last season would have been 20+ minutes this season!

Yep, some of them over the last few seasons would definitely have been 20+ mins.
I think we need a game clock... on 21:49 - Aug 6 with 2702 viewsBloomBlue

I think we need a game clock... on 19:15 - Aug 6 by ITFCson

I'm glad they're finally adding time for goal celebrations, some teams take ages to get back for the kick-off.
I think we need a game clock... on 23:01 - Aug 6 with 2580 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I think you’ll see an average of 6/7. Seemed to be tying to prove a point today.
I think we need a game clock... on 23:04 - Aug 6 with 2568 viewsredrickstuhaart

I think we need a game clock... on 21:22 - Aug 6 by stonojnr

There really wasnt any significant time wasting today.

Applying these standards properly, many of the games we saw last season will be running well past 20 minutes extra
I think we need a game clock... on 23:37 - Aug 6 with 2495 viewscharlie1

The average amount of time the ball was actually ‘in play’ across all Prem games last season was less than 56 minutes.

Even with injury time at the level we saw yesterday, we’re still way short of the 90 that fans pay to see and that players apparently train for.
I think we need a game clock... on 23:41 - Aug 6 with 2477 viewsitfctilidie

I think we need a game clock... on 19:17 - Aug 6 by redrickstuhaart

I agree with the transparency. A report after the match breaking down the injury time would be good
I think we need a game clock... on 07:43 - Aug 7 with 2343 viewsArnieM

All that needs to be done is the officials stopping the clock whenever the ball is out of play it the game has been stopped ( but like in basketball), so you get an actual 90 mins of ball in play, whilst all the other stoppages doesn’t affect playing time. If players learn the clock stops every time the ball is out of play or there is a halt in actual play time it’d stop time wasting overnight.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I think we need a game clock... on 07:56 - Aug 7 with 2313 viewsbluejacko

Bit odd really he only added two minutes in the first half where on earth did thirteen appear from?
I think we need a game clock... on 08:12 - Aug 7 with 2268 viewsredrickstuhaart

I think we need a game clock... on 23:37 - Aug 6 by charlie1

The average amount of time the ball was actually ‘in play’ across all Prem games last season was less than 56 minutes.

Even with injury time at the level we saw yesterday, we’re still way short of the 90 that fans pay to see and that players apparently train for.

No one has ever paid to see the ball in play for 90 minutes. If that is the starting point, then the whole discussion is on a false premise.

Corners, throw ins, goal kicks are all part of the game.
I think we need a game clock... on 08:18 - Aug 7 with 2259 viewsitfcjoe

I think we need a game clock... on 07:56 - Aug 7 by bluejacko

Bit odd really he only added two minutes in the first half where on earth did thirteen appear from?

The events that see time added on now are detailed, and only one of those happened in the first half (a goal)

In the second half we had the physio on, 2 goals, lots of subs and then the normal timewasting and that added up to 13 presumably

I think they'll have to start stopping the clock on things like a goal being scored, physio coming on, sub being made etc as otherwise is going to be like this every week and makes game management hard

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think we need a game clock... on 08:55 - Aug 7 with 2157 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I think we need a game clock... on 08:12 - Aug 7 by redrickstuhaart

No one has ever paid to see the ball in play for 90 minutes. If that is the starting point, then the whole discussion is on a false premise.

Corners, throw ins, goal kicks are all part of the game.

I’m fairly sure that one of the Dutch divisions is trialling something where the clock is literally stopped every time the ball goes out of play, but it’s only a 70 minute game, so that you literally get the 70 minutes play, but I’ve haven’t seen any reports as to how that went/is going.

I think that’s where the game may end up eventually.

Poll: Our final position

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024