Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Edwards future at Town? 12:46 - Aug 9 with 6110 viewsunstableblue

I'm a fan of Edwards, last season he never let us down when he came on, and he bagged a few goals.

He looks to be much stronger now and for me he has end product and can break the lines.

But I'm just not sure he's in McKenna's long term plans.

He didn't make the bench Saturday. Many of the team predictions for tonight I've seen, don't even having in the starting 11 for a Carabao cup game, with Harness Hutchison and Jackson starting behind Freddie (but I suppose neither Aliko and Humphreys start either).

Its a long season and we'll get knocks. But if we bring in one more attacking midfielder/winger in this window... surely he's moving on?

Very likeable member of the squad, and someone with talent... but time running out to make it at Town. What do you think?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Edwards future at Town? on 12:49 - Aug 9 with 4879 viewsKieran_Knows

I've said it before, and I'll say it again about Edwards .... I thought it was rather telling that when Harness got injured last season and Edwards was next in to line to start, McKenna bought Sone Aluko in for the game that weekend (can't remember who it was, maybe Peterborough or Portsmouth) who had been injured for 3 months, than give Edwards 90 minutes there.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Edwards future at Town? on 12:56 - Aug 9 with 4784 viewsburnbudgiesburn

I thought Edwards performed well last season as an option from the bench and turned quite a few games around for us - notably Cambridge away and Port Vale at home.

Made 41 apps so was certainly involved a lot, so it's a surprise he wasn't on the bench.
Edwards future at Town? on 13:09 - Aug 9 with 4668 viewsibbleobble

WIP and will be in squad rotation this year. Expect him to start tonight. Big fan of his too. This could be a big year for him given the strides he’s made under KM and and Pert.
Edwards future at Town? on 13:13 - Aug 9 with 4626 viewsBluemike31

I like Edwards and am baffled as to his lack of involvement, I am not sure McKenna is overly keen on him, not only that, if we are to bring in a couple more new faces someone has to go and Edwards seems a prime candidate.
Edwards future at Town? on 13:14 - Aug 9 with 4615 viewsMookamoo

If we are looking to bring in '2-3' then someone has to be moved on. He is worth a few quid based on what he did last year.

I didn't rate Edwards early on. He couldn't beat anyone despite all the moves. Last year I warmed to him. He was something different that we could bring on when needed.

We still need that sort of impact player off the bench. I guess that has to be a tad better and maybe a bit more versatile than Edwards.

Tonight will tell. If he is not in the starting X1, then he might be off.
Edwards future at Town? on 13:23 - Aug 9 with 4537 viewsitfcjoe

Everyone likes what Kyle Edwards can do - but ultimately he's 25, was fit and available for all 46 league games last season, started 3, came on in 29 and managed a grand total of 765 minutes.

If he couldn't even for one second look like nailing down a starting place in l1 then he isn't going to in the Championship.

I'd be amazed if we are able to get the 3 in that we want and he still remains here in the squad - if we don't he may do but he'd be on the chopping block

Also, not being on bench Sunday was telling

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Edwards future at Town? on 13:25 - Aug 9 with 4477 viewsbluesbrothers

Edwards future at Town? on 13:23 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

Everyone likes what Kyle Edwards can do - but ultimately he's 25, was fit and available for all 46 league games last season, started 3, came on in 29 and managed a grand total of 765 minutes.

If he couldn't even for one second look like nailing down a starting place in l1 then he isn't going to in the Championship.

I'd be amazed if we are able to get the 3 in that we want and he still remains here in the squad - if we don't he may do but he'd be on the chopping block

Am I reading too much in to it, or does that suggest you know who the 3 are?
Edwards future at Town? on 13:26 - Aug 9 with 4469 viewshype313

He needs a season of first team football at a high end League One club at this stage.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Edwards future at Town? on 13:36 - Aug 9 with 4395 viewsunstableblue

Yes Joe, you are indeed correct in your assessment.

Heart over head when it comes to Edwards for me. When he runs at players it’s exciting, and he’s clearly a good personality around the club.

But he just hasn’t broken through, and as you state his chances are receding fast in the higher level of the Championship.

A shame.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Edwards future at Town? on 13:43 - Aug 9 with 4311 viewshype313

Edwards future at Town? on 13:36 - Aug 9 by unstableblue

Yes Joe, you are indeed correct in your assessment.

Heart over head when it comes to Edwards for me. When he runs at players it’s exciting, and he’s clearly a good personality around the club.

But he just hasn’t broken through, and as you state his chances are receding fast in the higher level of the Championship.

A shame.

He's not a JET, but there are similarities

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Edwards future at Town? on 13:45 - Aug 9 with 4297 viewsBrockleyBlue78

Love him, hope he is part of the go forward plan. But if he’s not, then it’ll be a good thing as the person coming in will be class.

Still waiting for Promotion Ting v2 though aren’t we!
Edwards future at Town? on 13:53 - Aug 9 with 4218 viewsBluemike31

Edwards future at Town? on 13:14 - Aug 9 by Mookamoo

If we are looking to bring in '2-3' then someone has to be moved on. He is worth a few quid based on what he did last year.

I didn't rate Edwards early on. He couldn't beat anyone despite all the moves. Last year I warmed to him. He was something different that we could bring on when needed.

We still need that sort of impact player off the bench. I guess that has to be a tad better and maybe a bit more versatile than Edwards.

Tonight will tell. If he is not in the starting X1, then he might be off.

I think that impact player is now Omari Hutchinson.
Edwards future at Town? on 13:59 - Aug 9 with 4163 viewsWestcountryblue

Edwards future at Town? on 13:43 - Aug 9 by hype313

He's not a JET, but there are similarities

I don't think there are many similarities at all. Edwards works incredibly hard on the pitch and covers a lot of ground. Much more professional than JET also.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2023 14:12]
Edwards future at Town? on 14:03 - Aug 9 with 4124 viewsWestcountryblue

I'm surprised Edwards isn't ahead of Harness of Aluko, as he's had a good preseason and probably had more of an impact on games than others on the bench. I certainly think he adds more than Jackson.
In my opinion, it would be a real mistake to let him go. He has bags of talent, trickery and is absolutely rapid, bringing qualities that we don't necessarily have in squad.
Edwards needs to make his mark in this Carabao cup games, as like previously mentioned, there is only so long he can go on being a 15-20 minute cameo player.
Edwards future at Town? on 14:05 - Aug 9 with 4112 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

If Edwards could hit the target more often he would have probably been one of our top scorers over the last two seasons, his pace, touch and ability to beat players is fantastic but his end product has been found wanting a few times. I wouldn't say he's been frozen out either, he's used for impact and it worked many times last season. 63 games over two seasons is hardly someone not getting a game, the fact he's only scored 3 is the reason he is not a starter.

He played a key role in getting WBA promoted, and has a handful of Premier League games to his name, so lets not write him off just yet.
Edwards future at Town? on 14:06 - Aug 9 with 4116 viewsitfcjoe

Edwards future at Town? on 13:25 - Aug 9 by bluesbrothers

Am I reading too much in to it, or does that suggest you know who the 3 are?

You are reading too much into it, but I'd be amazed if one of the 3 we are in for currrently isn't Ragg-Saggy/Rak-Sakyi and when we already have 8 players for those roles and he is ranked 7th or 8th judging by teamsheet then it seems an obvious area to try and move on

There has been talk of Harness, jackson or Edwards being the one to go - Judging from game time there seems to be a clear 1, 2 and 3 in that order

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Edwards future at Town? on 14:15 - Aug 9 with 4044 viewstractorboy1978

Edwards future at Town? on 14:03 - Aug 9 by Westcountryblue

I'm surprised Edwards isn't ahead of Harness of Aluko, as he's had a good preseason and probably had more of an impact on games than others on the bench. I certainly think he adds more than Jackson.
In my opinion, it would be a real mistake to let him go. He has bags of talent, trickery and is absolutely rapid, bringing qualities that we don't necessarily have in squad.
Edwards needs to make his mark in this Carabao cup games, as like previously mentioned, there is only so long he can go on being a 15-20 minute cameo player.

I think Edwards is very similar to Hutchinson which doesn't bode well for him when he's brought in from Chelsea on the proviso he is going to play games.
Edwards future at Town? on 14:19 - Aug 9 with 4015 viewsozzy_itfc

I'm surprised he is still here now and I would have thought he will be gone by the end of the transfer window.

As someone else has said, Hutchinson is that new player in the Edwards mould, and is probably an upgrade.

Clearly McKenna doesn't fancy him and I thought even before the end of last season that he will be gone in this transfer window, regardless of what league we were in.

Not sure how long left on his contract, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 'left by mutual consent' story at some point about him.
Edwards future at Town? on 14:20 - Aug 9 with 4005 viewsMookamoo

Edwards future at Town? on 13:53 - Aug 9 by Bluemike31

I think that impact player is now Omari Hutchinson.

Maybe he will be, or maybe he will need a couple of months.

It's a lot to ask Hutchinson to come on and save the game with 20 mins to go. I would have thought if we're looking to replace Edwards it will be with someone who has either Championship experience, or someone that has at least been part of a first team squad for a couple of years.
Edwards future at Town? on 15:00 - Aug 9 with 3816 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Always felt Kyle Edwards is one of those that when you look at the stats in depth, it appears he's not doing much wrong and it's a case of things clicking for him.

But forget stats, he's just not good enough for us and his final product and numbers isn't anywhere near the standard we need. People will say to get rid of Harness or Jackson before Edwards, but both Harness and Jackson offer more than Edwards does for us.

He needs to play football matches regularly so I'll be very surprised if he's still here come September.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Edwards future at Town? on 15:05 - Aug 9 with 3788 viewsNthQldITFC

People talk about him not being a 90 minute player, and of course you do need players like that who can give you a solid, consistent 90 minute graft.

But you win games off the back of creative moments that bring goals, and you often change the momentum of games with the insertion of an explosive / creative type player as a substitute.

For me the supersub is a thing, and Edwards fits that role pretty well or at least is close to doing so. He might not be a 90 minute player, but it's blinkered to think that you whole squad have to be 90 minute players.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Edwards future at Town? on 19:14 - Aug 9 with 3342 viewsjacobnikons

i agree and i am worried he maybe looking elsewhere as he's clearly not a first choice and not even getting on the bench, he's not starting tonight or on the bench is he injured, not heard? Personally think he is superior player to Jackson, Harness and what I have seen Hutchinson (bit early to say on him though to be fair).

We defo need a back up striker and think Edwards could play that role rather than being a wide man, kind of a reverse Jackson.
Edwards future at Town? on 19:25 - Aug 9 with 3217 viewsN2_Blue

Edwards future at Town? on 19:14 - Aug 9 by jacobnikons

i agree and i am worried he maybe looking elsewhere as he's clearly not a first choice and not even getting on the bench, he's not starting tonight or on the bench is he injured, not heard? Personally think he is superior player to Jackson, Harness and what I have seen Hutchinson (bit early to say on him though to be fair).

We defo need a back up striker and think Edwards could play that role rather than being a wide man, kind of a reverse Jackson.

I’d be disappointed if we lose Edwards as a result of Hutchinson. Excited by having Hutchinson here but there is no guarantee he delivers. Remember Louie Barry.

If he ends up not being the hype then we have a failed loan and have lost Edwards.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Edwards future at Town? on 19:27 - Aug 9 with 3187 viewsKieran_Knows

Edwards future at Town? on 19:25 - Aug 9 by N2_Blue

I’d be disappointed if we lose Edwards as a result of Hutchinson. Excited by having Hutchinson here but there is no guarantee he delivers. Remember Louie Barry.

If he ends up not being the hype then we have a failed loan and have lost Edwards.

What has Edwards done in his 2 years here that makes you so worried about losing him? Hardly set the world alight has he.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Edwards future at Town? on 19:34 - Aug 9 with 3092 viewsN2_Blue

Edwards future at Town? on 19:27 - Aug 9 by Kieran_Knows

What has Edwards done in his 2 years here that makes you so worried about losing him? Hardly set the world alight has he.

Plenty when he’s had pitch minutes.

Personally think he may be more suited to this division that L1 but that my just my opinion and controversial admittedly.

I’m just worried that bringing in someone like Hutchinson and then losing a player we own that has certainly contributed could back fire. Would rather know Hutchinson is the real deal and has contributed in a Town shirt before losing our own players.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024