Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! 07:23 - Aug 21 with 2303 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2023/aug/21/fired-on-like-rain-saudi-border-guar

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 07:29 - Aug 21 with 2259 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Either that or Braverman will announce it as a new policy for our own borders. Terrible news.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 08:36 - Aug 21 with 2151 viewsGeoffSentence

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 07:29 - Aug 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Either that or Braverman will announce it as a new policy for our own borders. Terrible news.

There is a section of people who would welcome that. I recall one long lost poster who would have been happy to man machine guns on the white cliffs of Dover.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 09:33 - Aug 21 with 2033 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

....but the football !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 10:09 - Aug 21 with 2003 viewsBlueBadger

She's probably over there now watching them, taking notes and rubbing one out.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:31 - Aug 21 with 1906 viewsbluelagos

Was about to post similar - don't be giving her ideas ffs.

Article in the "I" paper today, which reads as being fed to the press by the moderate wing of the Tories, suggests there is pressure on Sunak to sack her in the upcoming reshuffle. She is losing support mainly because like Patel before her, her ego and bluster far outweigh her ability to bring any meaningful changes.

Competence isn't a word that you'd associate with Braverman so fingers crossed she gets fired sooner rather than later.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:43 - Aug 21 with 1876 viewsMattinLondon

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:31 - Aug 21 by bluelagos

Article in the "I" paper today, which reads as being fed to the press by the moderate wing of the Tories, suggests there is pressure on Sunak to sack her in the upcoming reshuffle. She is losing support mainly because like Patel before her, her ego and bluster far outweigh her ability to bring any meaningful changes.

Competence isn't a word that you'd associate with Braverman so fingers crossed she gets fired sooner rather than later.

Apart from the racism, the corruption the downright cruelty and callousness. If there’s one other thing that I’ve learnt from this Tory administration is that having a good degree from a highly thought of university doesn’t make that person either intelligent or competent to do a job.

In fact any job yet alone a job as high profile as PM or Home Secretary.
We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:43 - Aug 21 with 1878 viewspointofblue

Doesn't matter if he does. Sunak is so hitched to the boats policy it's not like somebody sane would replace her.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:47 - Aug 21 with 1860 viewsGlasgowBlue

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:43 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

Doesn't matter if he does. Sunak is so hitched to the boats policy it's not like somebody sane would replace her.

Labour are also "hitched" to the boats policy.

No one in their right mind is in favour of desperate people putting their lives in the hands of people smugglers, which has a very good chance of leading to their deaths.

The government's handling of the migrant crisis is woeful. They have closed all the safe routes to seek asylum. But anyone who is not in favour of trying to stop the boats needs to take a hard look at themselves.

The irony in all of this is that the Tories don't really want to stop the boats. It's part of their culture war.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 14:49]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:52 - Aug 21 with 1816 viewspointofblue

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:47 - Aug 21 by GlasgowBlue

No one in their right mind is in favour of desperate people putting their lives in the hands of people smugglers, which has a very good chance of leading to their deaths.

The government's handling of the migrant crisis is woeful. They have closed all the safe routes to seek asylum. But anyone who is not in favour of trying to stop the boats needs to take a hard look at themselves.

The irony in all of this is that the Tories don't really want to stop the boats. It's part of their culture war.

I mean the route they're taking, rather than stopping the boats themselves - as you say, by closing safe asylum routes. Apologies, should have made that clearer.

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:59 - Aug 21 with 1802 viewsGlasgowBlue

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:52 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

I mean the route they're taking, rather than stopping the boats themselves - as you say, by closing safe asylum routes. Apologies, should have made that clearer.

Fair enough.

Iron Lion Zion

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 16:21 - Aug 21 with 1752 viewsHARRY10

"Labour are also "hitched" to the boats policy. "

Utter nonsense as usual. You have no evidence for that claim other that your usual pro rightie stance. I have no idfea what Labour will do when in power, nor have you.

The Tories vbacked themselves into a corner with their anti EU rhetoris. Taking the UK out of the Dublin Accord was a compounde factor in this problem. It has certainly not gone unnoticed by those entering the UK by this method, the UK has limited methods of returning those folk back to where they started.

So we see £120m or more wasted on some farcicxal Rwanda plan. Huge sums being made by 'friends of the Tories' in housing these folk, even to the point of failure Bibby Stockholm and "More than 100 people recruited to work as guards at the Manston camp in Kent have spent months on full pay without being allowed to do any work"
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/aug/20/more-than-100-manston-asylum-cam

Countries are interdependent and rely upon cooperation for trade, security etc. telling stiupod people that the UK could cut itslef off from that cooperation and not suffer the consequences was always going to be something that would fall foul of theat delusion.

Aside from this lunatic rightie thinking must come the thought. How much would those millions wasted have been better spent on processing claims ? How many staff could have been employed for the £4 billion, yes £4 billion, of unusable PPE that had to be burned(/b].

This mess brings to mind the other lunatic righties in the US who made great play of claiming that COVID was a hoax (woke ?) then died for that stupidity.

At some point the UK will have to come out of its idiot isolation, and recognise that the world is not as some imagine it was in the 1950s.
We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 16:26 - Aug 21 with 1737 viewschicoazul

Believe old mate from Saudi is over here soon. Going to meet the King. Wonder if this will be raised?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 16:29 - Aug 21 with 1721 viewspointofblue

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 16:21 - Aug 21 by HARRY10

Utter nonsense as usual. You have no evidence for that claim other that your usual pro rightie stance. I have no idfea what Labour will do when in power, nor have you.

The Tories vbacked themselves into a corner with their anti EU rhetoris. Taking the UK out of the Dublin Accord was a compounde factor in this problem. It has certainly not gone unnoticed by those entering the UK by this method, the UK has limited methods of returning those folk back to where they started.

So we see £120m or more wasted on some farcicxal Rwanda plan. Huge sums being made by 'friends of the Tories' in housing these folk, even to the point of failure Bibby Stockholm and "More than 100 people recruited to work as guards at the Manston camp in Kent have spent months on full pay without being allowed to do any work"
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/aug/20/more-than-100-manston-asylum-cam

Countries are interdependent and rely upon cooperation for trade, security etc. telling stiupod people that the UK could cut itslef off from that cooperation and not suffer the consequences was always going to be something that would fall foul of theat delusion.

Aside from this lunatic rightie thinking must come the thought. How much would those millions wasted have been better spent on processing claims ? How many staff could have been employed for the £4 billion, yes £4 billion, of unusable PPE that had to be burned(/b].

This mess brings to mind the other lunatic righties in the US who made great play of claiming that COVID was a hoax (woke ?) then died for that stupidity.

At some point the UK will have to come out of its idiot isolation, and recognise that the world is not as some imagine it was in the 1950s.

GlasgowBlue means Labour are dedicated to stopping the boats, nothing more than that.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 16:29]

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 16:42 - Aug 21 with 1663 viewschicoazul

Harold if you have “no idfea what Labour will do in power” how can you say it’s nonsense?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 19:30 - Aug 21 with 1540 viewsnoggin

Yeah but oil and air bases.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 19:32 - Aug 21 with 1531 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keir Starmer weighs in on illegal Channel crossings: ‘We should stop the boats’

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/keir-starmer-boat-channel-crossing-braverm

That's what I said. The rest of your post is one of your usual rants.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 19:33]

Iron Lion Zion

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 20:54 - Aug 21 with 1477 viewsNthQldITFC

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 14:43 - Aug 21 by MattinLondon

Apart from the racism, the corruption the downright cruelty and callousness. If there’s one other thing that I’ve learnt from this Tory administration is that having a good degree from a highly thought of university doesn’t make that person either intelligent or competent to do a job.

In fact any job yet alone a job as high profile as PM or Home Secretary.

I used to work for a bloke who had a double first from Cambridge, and he was a f+++ing idiot. There is no meaningful metric against which he could have been judged worthy of such a thing, so I can only assume that he got someone to buy it for him. And presumably got the same person to undo the envelope it came in for him.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 21:09 - Aug 21 with 1435 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I actually think that the desired policies are so abhorrent that incompetent is preferred to someone capable of implementing them.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 22:15 - Aug 21 with 1390 viewsSwansea_Blue

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 19:32 - Aug 21 by GlasgowBlue

Keir Starmer weighs in on illegal Channel crossings: ‘We should stop the boats’

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/keir-starmer-boat-channel-crossing-braverm

That's what I said. The rest of your post is one of your usual rants.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 19:33]

They’re hitched themselves to the slogan of ‘stop the boats’, but haven’t actually said what their policies will be. As you say, any person of sound mind wouldn’t want these trips to be made, but that tells us nothing about what they’ll do about it. That vague alignment itself is becoming a bit of a pattern. I can’t help but feel they’re setting themselves up to piss off a lot of people when they finally take a stance on the many issues. They can’t keep everyone happy.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 08:19 - Aug 22 with 1266 viewsDJR

I may be wrong but, with the exception of, say, the recent Afghan and Ukrainian schemes, I am not sure there have been examples of safe routes in the past (unless one goes back to, say, Uganda under Idi Amin).

Back in the 2000s under Labour, there were similar issues with asylum seekers, as well as the notorious Sangatte camp near Calais. In those days, attempts were made to board lorries and the trains going through the Channel Tunnel.

These days it is boats that people have to resort to because security has been tightened to prevent the sort of crossings which took place then.

At the end of the day, much of the problem with displaced people in the last 20 odd years has its origins in the destabilisation which Western wars in the Middle East caused.

This suggest to me that we have a moral obligation to provide safe routes, but I am almost certain Labour will be any different from the Tories on this.

All we can therefore hope is that they speed up the application process, and so make it slightly more humane.

EDIT: I'd forgotten about the Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme (for Syrian refugees) introduced in 2014, and with the aim of resettling 20,000 by 2020, but that was country-specific and really just a drop in the ocean.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 8:45]
We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 09:38 - Aug 22 with 1185 viewsDJR

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 22:15 - Aug 21 by Swansea_Blue

They’re hitched themselves to the slogan of ‘stop the boats’, but haven’t actually said what their policies will be. As you say, any person of sound mind wouldn’t want these trips to be made, but that tells us nothing about what they’ll do about it. That vague alignment itself is becoming a bit of a pattern. I can’t help but feel they’re setting themselves up to piss off a lot of people when they finally take a stance on the many issues. They can’t keep everyone happy.

This is the Labour five-point plan as it stands but whether it would make any difference remains to be seen. Certainly securing agreements with other countries look rather optimistic. And note the words "when the fiscal situation allows" in the fifth point.

https://policymogul.com/key-updates/27360/yvette-cooper-illegal-migration-bill-s
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 9:41]
We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 10:02 - Aug 22 with 1153 viewsGlasgowBlue

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 09:38 - Aug 22 by DJR

This is the Labour five-point plan as it stands but whether it would make any difference remains to be seen. Certainly securing agreements with other countries look rather optimistic. And note the words "when the fiscal situation allows" in the fifth point.

https://policymogul.com/key-updates/27360/yvette-cooper-illegal-migration-bill-s
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 9:41]

Gerald Knaus put forward an idea that is worthy of discussion, but I don't see the will on the side of the UK Government.

Most of the article is taken up by the legality of the Rwanda plan but the idea put forward by Knaus is headed "A Channel Plan"

https://www.esiweb.org/newsletter/safe-third-countries-rwanda-and-channel-deal

Iron Lion Zion

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 10:16 - Aug 22 with 1129 viewsDJR

We'll probably pretend this didn't happen! on 10:02 - Aug 22 by GlasgowBlue

Gerald Knaus put forward an idea that is worthy of discussion, but I don't see the will on the side of the UK Government.

Most of the article is taken up by the legality of the Rwanda plan but the idea put forward by Knaus is headed "A Channel Plan"

https://www.esiweb.org/newsletter/safe-third-countries-rwanda-and-channel-deal

Interesting idea, but sadly this is not an area where rational debate gets very far.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024