Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. 07:23 - Sep 29 with 7267 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/29/ed-sheeran-autumn-variations-revie

Successful pop music is often about immediacy and simplicity, and Sheeran’s safe, artless stream-of-consciousness confections are evidently what the people want. The fact is that he is now an era-defining musician, and has earned his place alongside Bowie, Elton, George Michael, Morrissey and Elvis Costello in the pantheon of great British male solo artists. The difference between Sheeran and the others will be glaringly obvious to some, but completely irrelevant to others. For the former, Autumn Variations will be yet another occasion to despair at the colossal popularity of such proudly unimaginative, staunchly unoriginal and intellectually bereft music. Everyone else? Well, they’ll be far too busy just pressing repeat.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 07:30 - Sep 29 with 3471 viewsCoastalblue

I find his success somewhat remarkable, almost mind blowing when considering the scale of it but he's clearly getting something right and doing it consistently and well.

That's a rather brutal review, and while I won't listen to the album (while undoubtedly catching bits as I live my life) I hope he goes on and sells a few million more records. There are worse people I can think of earning a substantial wedge.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 07:37 - Sep 29 with 3426 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 07:30 - Sep 29 by Coastalblue

I find his success somewhat remarkable, almost mind blowing when considering the scale of it but he's clearly getting something right and doing it consistently and well.

That's a rather brutal review, and while I won't listen to the album (while undoubtedly catching bits as I live my life) I hope he goes on and sells a few million more records. There are worse people I can think of earning a substantial wedge.

He comes across as a genuinely nice bloke. As you say though, a brutal review.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:01 - Sep 29 with 3351 viewsHerbivore

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 07:37 - Sep 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

He comes across as a genuinely nice bloke. As you say though, a brutal review.

I mean, it's a pretty fair review really. He seems a good guy and I appreciate what he's done and is doing for the club, but his music is turgid dross.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:04 - Sep 29 with 3325 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:01 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

I mean, it's a pretty fair review really. He seems a good guy and I appreciate what he's done and is doing for the club, but his music is turgid dross.

There is that.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:13 - Sep 29 with 3302 viewshype313

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:01 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

Yep, obviously we have an affinity due to his love of our club and the fact that he seems like a genuinely nice bloke, but I find his music so vanilla/magnolia, it's this decades Lighthouse Family, dreary, background, non offensive melody's that just don't hook you in.

But I wish him all the success, the fact that he sells out in all four corners of the world, has one of the biggest followings in history, is a testament to his success.

I'm clearly not his audience, and I'm sure he's not bothered one iota by some berk like me posting on a football message board.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:15 - Sep 29 with 3288 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:13 - Sep 29 by hype313

Yep, obviously we have an affinity due to his love of our club and the fact that he seems like a genuinely nice bloke, but I find his music so vanilla/magnolia, it's this decades Lighthouse Family, dreary, background, non offensive melody's that just don't hook you in.

But I wish him all the success, the fact that he sells out in all four corners of the world, has one of the biggest followings in history, is a testament to his success.

I'm clearly not his audience, and I'm sure he's not bothered one iota by some berk like me posting on a football message board.

Having just been subjected to a brief listen, this is vanilla plus.....dreadful.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:16 - Sep 29 with 3292 viewshomer_123

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:13 - Sep 29 by hype313

Like his music or not, he's grafted for his success and he doesn't take himself too seriously...I think that fact his music is overplayed doesn't help either.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:16 - Sep 29 with 3286 viewsstickymockwell

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:04 - Sep 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

There is that.

My kids love him, I can't bare his music.
I'll forever love him for helping put our club back on the map through tough times.
The good news is, if his star does wain then we don't need him like we did. His job is done.
Thanks Ed!

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Login to get fewer ads

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:21 - Sep 29 with 3235 viewshype313

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:16 - Sep 29 by homer_123

Like his music or not, he's grafted for his success and he doesn't take himself too seriously...I think that fact his music is overplayed doesn't help either.

I also think he's had success in an era where music generally has been at a pretty low ebb, the competition just hasn't been there.

Look at the 60's you can name 30-40 bands all topping eachother, the 70's with Punk/Disco/Ska, the 80's with Pop, New Romantics etc so many bands, all pushing eachother, the early rave sounds of the 90's, grunge bands then a plethora of Britpop bands.

He's had an easy run where there has been a gap in the market, he's taken that and ran with it, and good luck to him.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:32 - Sep 29 with 3209 viewsgiant_stow

Blimey I'm no fan of your Ed, but that critique could apply to most of the people in that list.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:32 - Sep 29 with 3201 viewsGlasgowBlue

That’s a bit if a sweeping statement Herbie.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:43 - Sep 29 with 3149 viewsHerbivore

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:32 - Sep 29 by GlasgowBlue

That’s a bit if a sweeping statement Herbie.

Which of his music isn't turgid dross?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:49 - Sep 29 with 3146 viewsGuthrum

Thing is, people only remember the brilliant or innovative work by the artists cited, not their entire catalogues. I'd also say a better comparison might be with Joni Mitchell.

Plus the whole singer-songwriter genre has always been about setting up an empathic connection with the target audience, which will not work for those outside the link. If he doesn't speak to your experience, it will not inspire a strong reaction.

Sheeran's "affable everyman" image also carries a lot of appeal.

The reviewer, on the other hand, comes across as one of the kids too cool to dance at the school disco.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:54 - Sep 29 with 3116 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:43 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

Shape of You, Overpass Graffiti and Bad Habits are decent pop songs. Certainly not turgid dross.

Iron Lion Zion

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:00 - Sep 29 with 3093 viewsDJR

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:43 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

I'm not a fan but, as an exile, I find Castle on the Hill fairly moving because of its Suffolk connection. Bad Habits is also a very decent pop song.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2023 9:02]
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:05 - Sep 29 with 3065 viewsDarth_Koont

The reviewer tries to make a distinction between Sheeran and the others which mostly just doesn’t work. If you can lump Bowie, Elton John, George Michael, Morrissey and Elvis Costello together you can certainly make room for someone like Sheeran.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2023 9:27]

Pronouns: He/Him

Anything that is popular.... on 09:10 - Sep 29 with 3045 viewsBloots

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:54 - Sep 29 by GlasgowBlue

Shape of You, Overpass Graffiti and Bad Habits are decent pop songs. Certainly not turgid dross.

...with the masses is almost always subject to faux OTT derision by certain quarters on here.

You should know that by now.

It makes them look really cool.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:13 - Sep 29 with 3019 viewsblueasfook

He seems to appeal to a wide demographic - from youngsters to 30-somethings. I liked him years ago, his early stuff like A Team for example, his music then had a kind of hip hop edge to it. But I am an old rocker, so he doesn't appeal to me these days.

I do appreciate his talent though - He can carry off a whole concert solo with just loops. Though you could argue KT Tunstall was doing that years before him.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2023 9:51]

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:14 - Sep 29 with 2992 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:16 - Sep 29 by stickymockwell

My kids love him, I can't bare his music.
I'll forever love him for helping put our club back on the map through tough times.
The good news is, if his star does wain then we don't need him like we did. His job is done.
Thanks Ed!

I wonder what the kids will make of this one.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:16 - Sep 29 with 2982 viewsHerbivore

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:54 - Sep 29 by GlasgowBlue

Respectfully disagree.

Anything that is popular.... on 09:17 - Sep 29 with 2975 viewsblueasfook

Anything that is popular.... on 09:10 - Sep 29 by Bloots

...with the masses is almost always subject to faux OTT derision by certain quarters on here.

You should know that by now.

It makes them look really cool.

I bet they wouldn't slag off Billy Bragg

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:23 - Sep 29 with 2949 viewsDJR

I read the review as critical of the lyrics but fairly positive on the tunes, but surely it is the tune that matters and when are lyrics in a pop song ever that great?
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:23 - Sep 29 with 2940 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:14 - Sep 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

I wonder what the kids will make of this one.

Considering this one is the second of two very personal albums he has released this year, I doubt “the kids” will find it as appealing as =.

Iron Lion Zion

Anything that is popular.... on 09:24 - Sep 29 with 2933 viewsDJR

Anything that is popular.... on 09:17 - Sep 29 by blueasfook

Well he is the Bard of Barking.
Anything that is popular.... on 09:26 - Sep 29 with 2915 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anything that is popular.... on 09:17 - Sep 29 by blueasfook

Billy Brag is and was sh1te .....there you go.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024