Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope Scarlett can come good…. 11:11 - Oct 26 with 6057 viewsMatt_Netherlands

He’s got some ability that’s clear to see, but he hasn’t exactly set the world alight in any cameos so far. That’s not to say he won’t, but with Freddie being out I think we’d really miss a focal point up front if Hirst were to be out too or drop in form.

I wouldn’t be surprised if another striker is on the January shopping list.

90 mins against Fulham might do him some good.

And before anyone comes in with “Amazing how people moan even after a win” - this isn’t meant to be a moan, just a reflection.
I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:13 - Oct 26 with 3844 viewsFrimleyBlue

he's cup tied v fulham.

Spurs have does us no favours on that front tbh.

he's maybe one for later in the season as he's clearly in the 'understanding' town situation at the moment

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:15 - Oct 26 with 3821 viewstractorboy1978

He's cup tied for Fulham. Odd for Spurs to play him but ultimately means he will be here for the season as he can't play anywhere else.

I don't think he can be judged at all at the moment to be honest. His cameos have been few and far between. Looked a touch sloppy last night but thought he was good against Southampton in similar circumstances.

I expect another striker will sign in January.
I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:21 - Oct 26 with 3785 viewsArnieM

When he came on last night, and I watched him , I thought, bloody hell, he’s slow. He looks heavy , lethargic and just not on the same page as the rest of the team. What I didn’t realise was that he’s only 19yrs old. So think my initial reactions t9 h8m are a little unfair. He’s very young. McKenna clearly knows h8m and sees something we ( I) don’t atm. Problem is we can’t afford to “carry” a loanee in our named squad, and he’s effectively taking up the slot of another potentially more effective striker.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:25 - Oct 26 with 3755 viewstextbackup

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:21 - Oct 26 by ArnieM

When he came on last night, and I watched him , I thought, bloody hell, he’s slow. He looks heavy , lethargic and just not on the same page as the rest of the team. What I didn’t realise was that he’s only 19yrs old. So think my initial reactions t9 h8m are a little unfair. He’s very young. McKenna clearly knows h8m and sees something we ( I) don’t atm. Problem is we can’t afford to “carry” a loanee in our named squad, and he’s effectively taking up the slot of another potentially more effective striker.

Aged 19 he should look rapidly fast.

And at the very least have run as much as a shattered Hirst was… but he didn’t.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:27 - Oct 26 with 3734 viewsFrimleyBlue

He doesn't look anywhere near what he looked like before his move to pompey

This was what I thought we were getting, maybe he'll get back to those levels again, but he looks different.. physically looks different to. ( Oh and I don't just mean older lol )

This post has been edited by an administrator

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I'd send him back (if we can) in January.... on 11:28 - Oct 26 with 3738 viewsBloots

....he's not offering us much that we can't get from our other attacking players, plus an odd 15 mins here and there isn't really doing him much good.

Personally I still think that we need to find another forward that can hold the ball up and/or drop into the deeper space to pick the ball up.

Hirst is really good at it, Ladapo is an adequate short term replacement, but we plainly need more strength in that area as we move into the second half of the season.

We also need to think about what we do with Aluko, basically him and Scarlett are taking up squad spaces that would be useful for us when we look to strengthen further in January.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:49 - Oct 26 with 3591 viewsSheffordBlue

I think when he came on we'd stopped routinely pressing as a unit in their defensive third. and had dropped into more of a block. When the press did go on I thought he closed down quite quickly. Hirst's energy is really impressive but part of that is due to the rest of the forwards joining in the press.

The game state that he's come into hasn't really given us a good opportunity to see what he can do. Hopefully there'll be an opportunity soon to see a bit more of him.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

I'd send him back (if we can) in January.... on 11:55 - Oct 26 with 3544 viewsSteve_M

I'd send him back (if we can) in January.... on 11:28 - Oct 26 by Bloots

....he's not offering us much that we can't get from our other attacking players, plus an odd 15 mins here and there isn't really doing him much good.

Personally I still think that we need to find another forward that can hold the ball up and/or drop into the deeper space to pick the ball up.

Hirst is really good at it, Ladapo is an adequate short term replacement, but we plainly need more strength in that area as we move into the second half of the season.

We also need to think about what we do with Aluko, basically him and Scarlett are taking up squad spaces that would be useful for us when we look to strengthen further in January.

It was really telling last night how much weaker we look without Ladapo and Burns in the squad. With Morsy heading for another suspension we might find ourselves quite stretched with another injury or two.

That said, for all that Hutchinson and, particularly, Scarlett struggled last night they suddenly worked out how to keep the ball and made injury time far more comfortable than it had looked like being.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:55 - Oct 26 with 3546 viewsChurchman

I think a lot depends on how he is training and his attitude. If both are good, his opportunity will come. It’s a long old season. If not, he’ll be gone.

Finding forwards that fit what a team needs is expensive and difficult. KM wouldn’t have let Scarlett in the club if he didn’t have something to offer so I’d not be surprised to see him here for the season and getting games.
I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:55 - Oct 26 with 3542 viewsDJR

I don't think he is especially fast, but thought he did some good work when he came on.

It also has to be borne in mind that we had rather lost control of the game at that stage, so it was not an ideal game for him to show his attacking ability.

But he certainly doesn't look as good a prospect as Hutchinson.
I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 12:07 - Oct 26 with 3477 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The hottest of hot takes in this thread.

Kid joins late in the window, wasn't with us for pre-season and has played a grand total of 68 minutes in five appearances since.

Give him a chance.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Morsy is nailed on.... on 12:14 - Oct 26 with 3439 viewsBloots

I'd send him back (if we can) in January.... on 11:55 - Oct 26 by Steve_M

It was really telling last night how much weaker we look without Ladapo and Burns in the squad. With Morsy heading for another suspension we might find ourselves quite stretched with another injury or two.

That said, for all that Hutchinson and, particularly, Scarlett struggled last night they suddenly worked out how to keep the ball and made injury time far more comfortable than it had looked like being.

...to be suspended for the norwich match.

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:15 - Oct 26 with 3428 viewsBloots

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 12:07 - Oct 26 by JammyDodgerrr

The hottest of hot takes in this thread.

Kid joins late in the window, wasn't with us for pre-season and has played a grand total of 68 minutes in five appearances since.

Give him a chance.

I'd send him back (if we can) in January.... on 12:24 - Oct 26 with 3378 viewsLankHenners

I'd send him back (if we can) in January.... on 11:28 - Oct 26 by Bloots

Spurs umming and ahing over what to do with him all summer then cup-tying him 2 days before they sent him to us was a bit stupid really and hasn't helped anyone.

Feel a bit for him as it's meant he's been restricted to cameos in games that are in a state where it doesn't really suit him. Thought it was telling as well that Hirst was kept on despite clearly being knackered (and perhaps feeling the effects of being whacked round the head) for a good 10 mins or so before he eventually came off. If Ladapo was available you'd think he'd have taken over earlier.

There are obvious reasons why he'd want to go but wonder if we could have spoken with England and come to an agreement not to send him off with them and let him get some proper training time with us these last 2 breaks.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 12:28 - Oct 26 with 3356 viewsBloomBlue

The kid is only 19, we need to give him time. KM obviously rates him, and I actually think he's just a goal away from hitting form. Confidence is very important to all players especially strikers, a goal will make all the difference to him.

Remember a lot of fans went into a moaning fest when we didn't buy Simms, and while I don't know how he's playing overall he isn't banging in the goals regularly at the moment. He might as the season progresses, but it take some players time to settle, even one's who cost millions. Scarlett might ultimately hit form at the stage of the season when we need him most
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:28 - Oct 26 with 3351 viewsSteve_M

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:15 - Oct 26 by Bloots

It's clear that, for the second Summer in a row, we missed out on the striker we wanted. It's not caused us a major problem yet but may be about to with (probably) only Hirst available for Fulham, a match we would presumably rather rest him for.

Still, break out the Ashton masks.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 12:31 - Oct 26 with 3308 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

He's had very limited chances to show what he can do yet.

I think him not being quite up to speed yet (physically and with our game plan) is more a reflection on how fit and well drilled our team is. They've set the standard really high.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:39 - Oct 26 with 3197 viewsAVJones

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:28 - Oct 26 by Steve_M

It's clear that, for the second Summer in a row, we missed out on the striker we wanted. It's not caused us a major problem yet but may be about to with (probably) only Hirst available for Fulham, a match we would presumably rather rest him for.

Er, best 10 months in the last 20 years and you find this to moan about?

Signing players is complicated and expensive and many players won’t come if they see a likelihood they’ll be a back-up.

With our budget, Hurst + Ladapo + highly rated young unknown (+ Jackson in an emergency) for one position seems pretty amazing to me.
I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 12:49 - Oct 26 with 3140 viewsArnieM

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:27 - Oct 26 by FrimleyBlue

He doesn't look anywhere near what he looked like before his move to pompey

This was what I thought we were getting, maybe he'll get back to those levels again, but he looks different.. physically looks different to. ( Oh and I don't just mean older lol )

This post has been edited by an administrator

He looks a lot heavier now . He’s probably had another growth spurt, and it takes time for an individual to adjust that. His body looks like an experienced man but he’s still just a kid really. I think that might explain a lot.

The fact that we are.... on 12:50 - Oct 26 with 3136 viewsBloots

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:28 - Oct 26 by Steve_M

....doing so well despite the summer transfer window, not because of it, is truly a remarkable feat.

But to think that we don't need to improve the squad in January would be ridiculous.

(anyone that wore an Ashton mask last night should have their loyalty point removed)

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 12:51 - Oct 26 with 3123 viewsArnieM

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:49 - Oct 26 by SheffordBlue

I think when he came on we'd stopped routinely pressing as a unit in their defensive third. and had dropped into more of a block. When the press did go on I thought he closed down quite quickly. Hirst's energy is really impressive but part of that is due to the rest of the forwards joining in the press.

The game state that he's come into hasn't really given us a good opportunity to see what he can do. Hopefully there'll be an opportunity soon to see a bit more of him.

That too is a fair assessment. It’s a combination of things really, and it’s not easy for him getting those odd minutes is it.

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:05 - Oct 26 with 3084 viewsJammyDodgerrr

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:15 - Oct 26 by Bloots

It will come. McK will surprise start him in a game or something similar. I would suggest that these five appearances are not his chance.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:17 - Oct 26 with 3008 viewsLankHenners

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:39 - Oct 26 by AVJones

Signing players is complicated and expensive and many players won’t come if they see a likelihood they’ll be a back-up.

With our budget, Hurst + Ladapo + highly rated young unknown (+ Jackson in an emergency) for one position seems pretty amazing to me.

Obviously it's not simple to sign players but I don't really know why there was and is this idea that our summer went completely to plan and/or was the best we could do.

We'd have wanted more for our forward line than signing a Prem youth on loan right at the end of the window. Again that's not wholly in our control but the club will have wanted to do more, don't see it as controversial or moaning to point that out.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:41 - Oct 26 with 2911 viewstextbackup

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:39 - Oct 26 by AVJones

Amazing?!
I think you’re over playing this a little if I’m honest.
The downgrade in player once you take Hirst out of that equation is huge. And even he isn’t anywhere near the finished article

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:46 - Oct 26 with 2889 viewsDarkBrandon

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:17 - Oct 26 by LankHenners

Obviously it's not simple to sign players but I don't really know why there was and is this idea that our summer went completely to plan and/or was the best we could do.

We'd have wanted more for our forward line than signing a Prem youth on loan right at the end of the window. Again that's not wholly in our control but the club will have wanted to do more, don't see it as controversial or moaning to point that out.

We did sign Hurst …
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024