Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope Scarlett can come good…. 11:11 - Oct 26 with 6226 viewsMatt_Netherlands

He’s got some ability that’s clear to see, but he hasn’t exactly set the world alight in any cameos so far. That’s not to say he won’t, but with Freddie being out I think we’d really miss a focal point up front if Hirst were to be out too or drop in form.

I wouldn’t be surprised if another striker is on the January shopping list.

90 mins against Fulham might do him some good.

And before anyone comes in with “Amazing how people moan even after a win” - this isn’t meant to be a moan, just a reflection.
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:50 - Oct 26 with 1927 viewsredrickstuhaart

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:17 - Oct 26 by LankHenners

Obviously it's not simple to sign players but I don't really know why there was and is this idea that our summer went completely to plan and/or was the best we could do.

We'd have wanted more for our forward line than signing a Prem youth on loan right at the end of the window. Again that's not wholly in our control but the club will have wanted to do more, don't see it as controversial or moaning to point that out.

You have no idea whether we did or did not succeed in what we had hoped.
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:52 - Oct 26 with 1926 viewsExiled2Surrey

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:39 - Oct 26 by AVJones

Er, best 10 months in the last 20 years and you find this to moan about?

Signing players is complicated and expensive and many players won’t come if they see a likelihood they’ll be a back-up.

With our budget, Hurst + Ladapo + highly rated young unknown (+ Jackson in an emergency) for one position seems pretty amazing to me.

I was surprised we didn't go for TJJ, as I thought he had an exceptional skill set, but I guess they had more knowledge of his fitness than any of us do. My expectation was that Scarlett would be pretty awesome if he is considered this year's TJJ - and he probably is...

Sad to note the lack of game time due to (you guessed it) injury TJJ has had at Derby
I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 13:55 - Oct 26 with 1901 viewsDarth_Koont

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:13 - Oct 26 by FrimleyBlue

he's cup tied v fulham.

Spurs have does us no favours on that front tbh.

he's maybe one for later in the season as he's clearly in the 'understanding' town situation at the moment

Agreed.

You only have to see how Hutchinson struggled given the same minimal game time. And almost always in games where we were closing out, playing a little within ourselves and the forward players were much more isolated. But as that time added up and he even got starts, we see a player who is arguably capable of taking us to another level.

I think the point re: a lack of cup games for Scarlett is also very valid. As without them he’s been stuck in this early stage for longer. But no doubt IMO he’ll be a good and important player for us if and when we start getting more injuries at striker and the Number 10 positions.

Pronouns: He/Him

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 14:03 - Oct 26 with 1887 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

He's had 69 minutes of league action this season and we're almost into November.

It's hard to impress in cameos, especially with those minutes, but it's a shame that he can't play in the carabao cup to keep himself sharp - which is ultimately the edge that Ladapo, Harness and Jackson have had over him because their minutes have been compromised through the cup games and has given them the edge over Scarlett for starting in league games when called upon.

Except for an injury to Hirst, it's hard to see where he will start a game for us.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 14:03 - Oct 26 with 1888 viewsitfcsuth

He needs so much more time to judge him fairly - he is a young lad with talent, but adjusting to this group and the pace of Championship.

Hutchinson was exactly the same, looked a long way off the pace initially - but get more minutes in the cup to get up to speed.

Will take Scarlett time, agreed right now he's not offering enough when he is on the pitch, but will give him more time here.
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 14:06 - Oct 26 with 1868 viewsLankHenners

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:50 - Oct 26 by redrickstuhaart

You have no idea whether we did or did not succeed in what we had hoped.

I do and we didn't.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 17:18 - Oct 26 with 1778 viewsmanagement

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 13:52 - Oct 26 by Exiled2Surrey

I was surprised we didn't go for TJJ, as I thought he had an exceptional skill set, but I guess they had more knowledge of his fitness than any of us do. My expectation was that Scarlett would be pretty awesome if he is considered this year's TJJ - and he probably is...

Sad to note the lack of game time due to (you guessed it) injury TJJ has had at Derby

Must agree feel TJJ is from the evidence so far in comparison to Scarlett a far more rounded player. Sometimes Scarlett has come on and after 5 minutes running, looks too jaded to press. Definitely will be in the market in January for a forward, hope Hirst remains injury fee as pivotal to game plan. Accept TJJ's injury record is a big red flag.
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 17:21 - Oct 26 with 1773 viewsredrickstuhaart

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 14:06 - Oct 26 by LankHenners

I do and we didn't.

Actually, I do. And we did.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dimissed without evidence.
Login to get fewer ads

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 17:33 - Oct 26 with 1759 viewsVaughan8

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 11:21 - Oct 26 by ArnieM

When he came on last night, and I watched him , I thought, bloody hell, he’s slow. He looks heavy , lethargic and just not on the same page as the rest of the team. What I didn’t realise was that he’s only 19yrs old. So think my initial reactions t9 h8m are a little unfair. He’s very young. McKenna clearly knows h8m and sees something we ( I) don’t atm. Problem is we can’t afford to “carry” a loanee in our named squad, and he’s effectively taking up the slot of another potentially more effective striker.

I have to agree, he didn't look very quick and Harness was pressing higher than him at some points chasing the defenders.

However, clearly there is a player there, he was in the England U21s the other month. He has only come on near the end in 5 games. No enough for him to prove much. Not sure about the other games, but last night, he was coming on when we weren't really doing much attacking wise.

I still have faith he'll be good. Just a shame hes cup tied or i'm sure he would have got more minutes in those games.
I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 17:39 - Oct 26 with 1752 viewsbilllm

Questionable tbh,
I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 17:51 - Oct 26 with 1727 viewsBobbychase

I felt for Scarlett last night, came on when the game was going against us and never adjusted to the pace of it. He's a youngster learning in a man's game and ten minutes here or there won't help him. He looked pretty disconsolate at the final whistle as all the other players celebrated.

That said, some of his first touches were awful which meant the ball kept coming back at us when we needed to hold onto it. Hutchinson, by contrast, gave a masterclass in running the clock down.

McKenna (and other managers) clearly see something in Scarlett and I hope he comes good for us. It's incredibly annoying that he cannot play in the League Cup as that would have been his best chance to get minutes.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 18:03 - Oct 26 with 1720 viewsTrequartista

I think he was asked to play the Hirst role last night and it's not his game holding the ball up. Hirst also has Broadhead and Chaplin to play off whereas Scarlett had Harness who's not so mobile and Taylor who was playing deeper. Not fair to judge him too much on last night.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 18:11 - Oct 26 with 1708 viewsLankHenners

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 17:21 - Oct 26 by redrickstuhaart

Actually, I do. And we did.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dimissed without evidence.

Not a lot of evidence needs to be presented. It's well known we were after Ellis Simms in addition to Hirst for one. It was reported Jesurun Rak-Sakyi was as good as certain to come here before Palace decided/needed to keep him. Though we might yet get a good player out if him, if anyone thinks the plan for a CB addition was to get Tuanzebe on a free after the window had closed they're mad.

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 18:22 - Oct 26 with 1693 viewsredrickstuhaart

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 18:11 - Oct 26 by LankHenners

Not a lot of evidence needs to be presented. It's well known we were after Ellis Simms in addition to Hirst for one. It was reported Jesurun Rak-Sakyi was as good as certain to come here before Palace decided/needed to keep him. Though we might yet get a good player out if him, if anyone thinks the plan for a CB addition was to get Tuanzebe on a free after the window had closed they're mad.

It was reported. And we may have show interest. Beyond that you are making claims. Ditto Rak-Sayki.

I can confirm that I have inside info and you are absolutely wrong. See how easy that was?
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 18:30 - Oct 26 with 1671 viewsLankHenners

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 18:22 - Oct 26 by redrickstuhaart

It was reported. And we may have show interest. Beyond that you are making claims. Ditto Rak-Sayki.

I can confirm that I have inside info and you are absolutely wrong. See how easy that was?

It's easy to just make things up when you have nothing to offer, yes.

Believe what you want, makes no difference to me.

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 22:31 - Oct 26 with 1585 viewsPimsNumber1

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 18:30 - Oct 26 by LankHenners

Short stocky and slow ....just not good enough for us .We need better or similar to Hirst in January
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 22:37 - Oct 26 with 1583 viewsreusersfreekicks

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 12:28 - Oct 26 by Steve_M

It's clear that, for the second Summer in a row, we missed out on the striker we wanted. It's not caused us a major problem yet but may be about to with (probably) only Hirst available for Fulham, a match we would presumably rather rest him for.

Still, break out the Ashton masks.

Jackson?
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 22:54 - Oct 26 with 1568 viewsredrickstuhaart

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 18:30 - Oct 26 by LankHenners

You did precisely the same. Which is the point you are missing. Or choosing to pretend not to understand.
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 23:02 - Oct 26 with 1542 viewsFrimleyBlue

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 22:54 - Oct 26 by redrickstuhaart

You did precisely the same. Which is the point you are missing. Or choosing to pretend not to understand.

Let's be honest here. You don't need to have or show evidence to know we didn't get our top targets.

Thankfully however the ones we've got have been excellent additions. But coming from league 1 to the champ... there's no chance our top targets of new players were..

A player on his first ever loan
A player who'd not played for a year
A player who's injured his whole body and manged an average of 76 minutes a season for the past 3 seasons
And another loanee who had been in and out of a pompy lineup in league 1.

As I say tho.. 2 of these so far have been very important to our start. We've yet to see what one has to offer and the other is showing small signs of what his feet could do but looks a few months away from settling properly.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 23:03 - Oct 26 with 1534 viewsLankHenners

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 22:54 - Oct 26 by redrickstuhaart

Presumably you also think Phil was making stuff up when he reported our interest in those players then?

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 23:52 - Oct 26 with 1494 viewsitfctilidie

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 23:03 - Oct 26 by LankHenners

Presumably you also think Phil was making stuff up when he reported our interest in those players then?

you can always sense defeat is imminent when the old 'ahhh so you are saying Phil was making stuff up" - when literally no mention of Phil in any of the previous posts
I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 01:31 - Oct 27 with 1458 viewsBigCommon

He's still learning the "Hirst" role.... He's a typical young striker that has probably spent most of his development , playing on the shoulder and timing runs through channels, to be fed to feet.. I can't help thinking that we signed him as a plan B , KM perhaps expecting us to play a lot more counter attacking than we've had to so far... No one could have predicted our start to the season, and how effective our "usual" style would be.
Without Freddy available, Scarlett has probably been forced to play a completely alien role to him.. He did look a bit lost last night. But lets be fare, he came on at a stage where we were not in control of things, and the whole eleven looked a bit ragged.. Had we been controlling the game more, at that point, in midfield. Perhaps his more natural game would have been more effective, with someone in MF being able to slide him in.... Whacking a ball up to him and asking him to battle a couple of CB's and hold possession, is a big ask for a young kid... Pretty sure Freddy would have gotten the nod for that role, had he been available.. Scarlett is very raw. Perhaps needs to learn the dark arts of CF play, in buying the odd free kick in opposition half?..
Freddy being unavailable, does expose our slight lack of depth up front though.
I'd like to see another CF and another CM , If its doable. Just for the extra legs. Morsy and Mass can't go flat out for 90 minutes. It will just lead to mistakes and extra bookings as they tire, imo.... If we can keep the midfield energised, we'll have more control of games, and we can play Scarlett in his more natural role. Rather than as a target man...
How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 06:43 - Oct 27 with 1401 viewsBondiBlue

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 23:02 - Oct 26 by FrimleyBlue

Let's be honest here. You don't need to have or show evidence to know we didn't get our top targets.

Thankfully however the ones we've got have been excellent additions. But coming from league 1 to the champ... there's no chance our top targets of new players were..

A player on his first ever loan
A player who'd not played for a year
A player who's injured his whole body and manged an average of 76 minutes a season for the past 3 seasons
And another loanee who had been in and out of a pompy lineup in league 1.

As I say tho.. 2 of these so far have been very important to our start. We've yet to see what one has to offer and the other is showing small signs of what his feet could do but looks a few months away from settling properly.

If this is what happens when a transfer window goes badly, i can't wait to see what happens when we do one well.

By hook or by crook we ended up keeping a good first 11 together and each of them has taken their game up a level, individually and collectively.

Can anyone honestly say that they believe us getting one of our 'top targets' would have improved on our 31 points after 12 games?

Poll: Which would you accept?

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 06:48 - Oct 27 with 1395 viewsSteve_M

How does he get his chance? (n/t) on 22:37 - Oct 26 by reusersfreekicks

Jackson?

Yeah, maybe but he's also covering for Burns at the moment. Given how we like to rotate our front players, we just look a bit weaker as a result of a couple of injuries.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I hope Scarlett can come good…. on 07:16 - Oct 27 with 1381 viewsjayessess

He's definitely finding it tough so far and whilst McKenna has certainly talked him up in the past, I don't think the length of his cameos speaks to a massive amount of trust. Reckon ideally we'd prefer to hook George Hirst nearer to the 60th minute than past the 70th. His longest sub appearance thus far was 19 minutes. So it's all going a bit Louie Barry at the moment - sense that this level is a lot for him, not playing his best football right now and not feeling good about it.

That said... a bit of context for his appearances so far. 4 of his 5 sub appearances came late in games where we'd essentially done our attacking for the day (we were winning and seeing the game out). Only once has he come on with us pushing for a goal, the 1-1 against Huddersfield, and he managed to get 3 shots away in his 15 minutes (plus stoppage time). So he's not totally off the pace.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2023 7:51]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024