Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) 13:11 - Jan 9 with 3567 viewsfactual_blue

It should be given to Alan Bates.
[Post edited 9 Jan 13:14]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:15 - Jan 9 with 2243 viewsNthQldITFC

It'll probably get lost in the post.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:23 - Jan 9 with 2192 viewsgiant_stow

Just a shame she couldn't show that decency earlier.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:32 - Jan 9 with 2151 viewsfactual_blue

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:15 - Jan 9 by NthQldITFC

It'll probably get lost in the post.

Mail deliveries are the responsibility of the Royal Mail, not the Post Office. Not that they're any better.

#justbeingpicky

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:33 - Jan 9 with 2141 viewsblueasfook

Good news. Now Alan can get the OBE he deserves.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:34 - Jan 9 with 2136 viewsRyorry

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:23 - Jan 9 by giant_stow

Just a shame she couldn't show that decency earlier.

I wouldn’t call it ‘decency” when she’s only been shamed into doing it by the exposure of the TV drama.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:39 - Jan 9 with 2105 viewsFreddies_Ears

I'd like to see the CBE given to Ian Hislop. Private Eye has covered this story brilliantly and relentlessly for years.
vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:43 - Jan 9 with 2075 viewsgiant_stow

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:34 - Jan 9 by Ryorry

I wouldn’t call it ‘decency” when she’s only been shamed into doing it by the exposure of the TV drama.

Thats fair, but at least she didn't try to cling on.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:58 - Jan 9 with 2015 viewsJohnTy

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:43 - Jan 9 by giant_stow

Thats fair, but at least she didn't try to cling on.

I would be more impressed if she returned the £400,000 payoff she got from the Post Office.
Login to get fewer ads

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 14:05 - Jan 9 with 1988 viewsfactual_blue

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:39 - Jan 9 by Freddies_Ears

I'd like to see the CBE given to Ian Hislop. Private Eye has covered this story brilliantly and relentlessly for years.

He'd turn any honour down, I'm sure. Computer Weekly first exposed the scandal.

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 14:10 - Jan 9 with 1960 viewsfactual_blue

Update: handing it back doesn't revoke the honour as only the monarch can do that.

So is she still a CBE, but without the medal?

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 14:19 - Jan 9 with 1903 viewsEdwardStone

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:39 - Jan 9 by Freddies_Ears

I think Mr H deserves a great deal more than CBE

He seems a very decent sort of bloke; clever, wise and with a functioning moral compass

Very least I suggest Prime Minister for Life

Or President if we can scrap off Royal Family
vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 14:22 - Jan 9 with 1890 viewsfactual_blue

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:58 - Jan 9 by JohnTy

I would be more impressed if she returned the £400,000 payoff she got from the Post Office.

£44k for each year she was at the Post Office.

The average net earnings of a sub-postmaster is around £31.5k

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 14:28 - Jan 9 with 1852 viewsblueasfook

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 13:58 - Jan 9 by JohnTy

I wouldn't be surprised if she's still getting other kickbacks too. Probably has a large chunk of shares.

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 14:30 - Jan 9 with 1851 viewsblueasfook

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 14:10 - Jan 9 by factual_blue

Update: handing it back doesn't revoke the honour as only the monarch can do that.

So is she still a CBE, but without the medal?

Yes but from what I understand it should be a formality for it to be revoked by the king. It will go before the forfeiture committee who will approve and then Charlie boy signs it off.

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:11 - Jan 9 with 1722 viewsfactual_blue

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 14:19 - Jan 9 by EdwardStone

He seems a very decent sort of bloke; clever, wise and with a functioning moral compass

I'm still very much attached to the idea of becoming part of Denmark, with the equally wise Sandi Toskvig as Governor General.

Hislop could still be Prime Minister.

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:20 - Jan 9 with 1685 viewsSwansea_Blue

Or swapped for a jail sentence

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:30 - Jan 9 with 1668 viewsMattinLondon

As she actually been found guilty of wrongdoing in a court? Or proven without doubt that she deliberately decided to allow innocent people to go to prison?
vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:33 - Jan 9 with 1653 viewsSwansea_Blue

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:30 - Jan 9 by MattinLondon

As she actually been found guilty of wrongdoing in a court? Or proven without doubt that she deliberately decided to allow innocent people to go to prison?

That all comes after we all judge her guilty

It's makes for pretty damning reading in terms of what she and the PO knew at the time and withheld from the courts/judges. But I've no idea how anyone goes about addressing that now and formally charging her (and with what).

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:47 - Jan 9 with 1633 viewsfactual_blue

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:30 - Jan 9 by MattinLondon

None of which has anything to do with returning a CBE. She was basically threatened by the PM.

And as regards wrongdoing, she patently misled or lied to a Parliamentary Select Committee.

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:52 - Jan 9 with 1614 viewsford6600

The pecking order is CBE then down to OBE then lowest of these three is MBE...
They all come beneath Knighthoods/Damehoods
which are thrown out like confetti by politicians to their lackeys or donors.
Alan Bates deserves far more than CBE, but isn't part of the establishment, he deserves a Life Peerage
Obscene to remember that Johnson gave a c30yo PA a Peerage! Her advice doesn't seem to have prevented partygate!
vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:57 - Jan 9 with 1600 viewsbluelagos

Since when have we gone after those in positions of authority for like...anything?

She has lied and misled MPs on numerous occasions and her employees and legal team did exactly that in numerous criminal court cases thus causing numerous innocent people to spend time in jail and in some cases to commit suicide.

In any decent society she would we held to account through the legal system for her actions. But we all know she won't be - cos that's not how it works.

And she'll be forever able to hide behind the fact she has never been found guilty of anything, like Duckenfield or Saville before her.

Doesn't mean she's not a piece of sh1t though - sometimes all the victims are left with is a TV show and public opinion.

I strongly suspect the only people to taste prison food will be the subpostmasters. British justice for you.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 16:02 - Jan 9 with 1582 viewsMattinLondon

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:47 - Jan 9 by factual_blue

None of which has anything to do with returning a CBE. She was basically threatened by the PM.

And as regards wrongdoing, she patently misled or lied to a Parliamentary Select Committee.

But has a court etc found her guilty of lying or deliberately allowing innocent people to go to prison by not disclosing information?

Based on what I’ve read she has a lot to answer for - but that accountability should be in a court of law rather than public opinion.
vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 16:04 - Jan 9 with 1579 viewsMattinLondon

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 14:19 - Jan 9 by EdwardStone

He’s probably upset too many influential people to be awarded a honour such as a CBE.
vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 16:04 - Jan 9 with 1578 viewsDanTheMan

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:52 - Jan 9 by ford6600

The pecking order is CBE then down to OBE then lowest of these three is MBE...
They all come beneath Knighthoods/Damehoods
which are thrown out like confetti by politicians to their lackeys or donors.
Alan Bates deserves far more than CBE, but isn't part of the establishment, he deserves a Life Peerage
Obscene to remember that Johnson gave a c30yo PA a Peerage! Her advice doesn't seem to have prevented partygate!

This was my thought as well. Some of Truss' political advisors were given peerages. The whole system needs gutting.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 16:04 - Jan 9 with 1576 viewsSwansea_Blue

vennells is handing back her CBE with immediate effect (n/t) on 15:57 - Jan 9 by bluelagos

Since when have we gone after those in positions of authority for like...anything?

She has lied and misled MPs on numerous occasions and her employees and legal team did exactly that in numerous criminal court cases thus causing numerous innocent people to spend time in jail and in some cases to commit suicide.

In any decent society she would we held to account through the legal system for her actions. But we all know she won't be - cos that's not how it works.

And she'll be forever able to hide behind the fact she has never been found guilty of anything, like Duckenfield or Saville before her.

Doesn't mean she's not a piece of sh1t though - sometimes all the victims are left with is a TV show and public opinion.

I strongly suspect the only people to taste prison food will be the subpostmasters. British justice for you.

Agreed, sadly. Hard to be anything other than cynical, isn't it?

As an aside, what a fantastic impact this TV show has had. It shouldn't have had to come to this, but it shows the role that good fact-based TV can have (see also David Attenborough and plastic in the oceans). As soon as the tide turns and there's overwhelming public consensus, the politicians can't wait to be seen to be taking it seriously. If only more people could be mobilised to stand up for other issues that affect us; but then I suppose that's what the culture wars are all about in terms of stopping us reaching consensuses over things that are damaging.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024