Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus 09:55 - Jan 17 with 3727 viewsGuthrum

Namely the idiots he inspires and motivates to pile on direct and personal social media abuse, even threats.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/16/eni-aluko-says-joey-barton-abus

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:02 - Jan 17 with 2600 viewsJackNorthStand

He’s got an opinion, you don’t have to agree with it. It’s not a movement.

He said nothing “ hateful “. The dark side as you put it is telling people they cannot have opinions.

Edit: I don’t agree with the way he chooses for himself to come across and it’s not something I would ever do. Do I think he has made himself look daft? Yes. Do I think he is “ dangerous “ absolutely not.
[Post edited 17 Jan 10:11]
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:09 - Jan 17 with 2539 viewsNeedhamChris

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:02 - Jan 17 by JackNorthStand

He said nothing “ hateful “. The dark side as you put it is telling people they cannot have opinions.

Edit: I don’t agree with the way he chooses for himself to come across and it’s not something I would ever do. Do I think he has made himself look daft? Yes. Do I think he is “ dangerous “ absolutely not.

Comparing women commentators to serial killers isn't hateful?

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:11 - Jan 17 with 2530 viewsGuthrum

It's not just opinions, but the way they are delivered. It's not a rational argument about the qualities of female media presenters. Simply a volley of abuse, couched in the most inflammatory language and presenting himself as a person whose opinion should be listened to.

You think he is not consciously preaching to an audience who will lap up his comments, follow his posts and subscribe to his output? Much like Katie Hopkins, leveraging hateful opinions for status and reward. Uncaring of the effect it has on his targets.

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:13 - Jan 17 with 2510 viewsNthQldITFC

Good on Eni for speaking out about the issue rather than just keeping a low profile to try to protect herself. She's obviously a strong, brave woman - which is not surprising I suppose given that she was a very successful international footballer.

It's amazing how such a no-mark as the bloke who gave the abuse, whose name temporarily eludes me, can have such a profile given his lack of impact on the sport. I suppose it's all down to the rats the follow him. Bartram, that's it. I think?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:14 - Jan 17 with 2468 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

"Eni Aluko says Joey Barton abuse left her frightened to leave home."

Is that headline not enough for you?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:16 - Jan 17 with 2436 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:13 - Jan 17 by NthQldITFC

Good on Eni for speaking out about the issue rather than just keeping a low profile to try to protect herself. She's obviously a strong, brave woman - which is not surprising I suppose given that she was a very successful international footballer.

It's amazing how such a no-mark as the bloke who gave the abuse, whose name temporarily eludes me, can have such a profile given his lack of impact on the sport. I suppose it's all down to the rats the follow him. Bartram, that's it. I think?

She is much stronger, more dignified and worthy of respect than Bartman.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:19 - Jan 17 with 2396 viewsRobTheMonk

Lmao. Your second point is funny considering Barton comparing Eni Aluko and Lucy Ward to Fred and Rose West... Maybe you need to look at the crimes they committed...
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:21 - Jan 17 with 2376 viewsNthQldITFC

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:09 - Jan 17 by NeedhamChris

Comparing women commentators to serial killers isn't hateful?

I suppose in some senses you could say that those serial killers were 'successful'. Parton by comparison, would be what, the six members of the Ladykillers gang in the Ealing comedy? (They all died but their target the little old lady survived and ended up with all their money.)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:24 - Jan 17 with 2347 viewsWhos_blue

Fair play mate for sticking your neck out with a controversial opinion, but seriously?

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:24 - Jan 17 with 2349 viewsGuthrum

Responding to your edit: That is true, to an extent. But in the modern-day social media environment - in which Barton and all of us operate - it is a well known fact that there is a section of users who will latch onto any trend which enables them to abuse and threaten others. It is possible to have and express opinions without encouraging that group - still less deliberately stirring them up.

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:32 - Jan 17 with 2321 viewsblueasfook

The guy is a loon. He seems to have moved on to Jeremy Vine now and insists on calling him "Bike Nonce".

When Katie Hopkins praises you, you know you are the wrong side of the fence! Also, I hope he has deep pockets for legal fees!

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:33 - Jan 17 with 2288 viewsBlueBadger

Bigotry isn't 'an opinion' mate and we don't have to be polite or respectful about it.

If you're openly stirring hate, you don't deserve it.
[Post edited 17 Jan 10:38]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:37 - Jan 17 with 2261 viewsDanTheMan

Everyone else is allowed to tell him his opinions are sh1t.

Because they are.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:43 - Jan 17 with 2231 viewsJackNorthStand

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:11 - Jan 17 by Guthrum

It's not just opinions, but the way they are delivered. It's not a rational argument about the qualities of female media presenters. Simply a volley of abuse, couched in the most inflammatory language and presenting himself as a person whose opinion should be listened to.

You think he is not consciously preaching to an audience who will lap up his comments, follow his posts and subscribe to his output? Much like Katie Hopkins, leveraging hateful opinions for status and reward. Uncaring of the effect it has on his targets.

I agree with you on the way it is delivered.

Perhaps I’m not paying as much mind to it as yourself and others, I definitely seem to be in a minority. Or perhaps it’s the way we choose to views things differently, but for me, he is just making himself look stupid but not trying to inspire others as the article suggests he has.
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:56 - Jan 17 with 2154 viewsyorkshireblue

Shocked to see that the half-brother of a convicted racist murderer tweeted in support of Stephen Yaxley/Tommy Robinson yesterday.

But, in better Barton news - well played to whoever did this
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:12 - Jan 17 with 2084 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:43 - Jan 17 by JackNorthStand

Perhaps I’m not paying as much mind to it as yourself and others, I definitely seem to be in a minority. Or perhaps it’s the way we choose to views things differently, but for me, he is just making himself look stupid but not trying to inspire others as the article suggests he has.

What about the opinions of the woman in the article who feared for her safety and was frightened to leave home?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:16 - Jan 17 with 2048 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Nobody said it was a "movement".

It's a shame you didn't read the article that was linked. In it Eni Aluko very clearly explains the difference between free speech and hate speech, and the effect that online abuse has on her, and has had on others.

The really odd thing here is that you are supposed to be an Ipswich supporter.

To put this very plainly:

The sister of one of Ipswich Town's first team squad has been vilely abused just for doing her job, by a shthouse former player and ex-manager, and her mental wellbeing has suffered.

Just as an Ipswich fan, surely you can see that you should be taking the side of Sone Aluko's family.

As an (presumably) adult human being you should be able to see that vile abuse aimed at a young, black woman is wrong, and should have a good enough grasp of what has been said on both sides, and the proper limits of free speech, before you comment on the subject.
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:19 - Jan 17 with 2025 viewsJackNorthStand

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:16 - Jan 17 by ArnoldMoorhen

Nobody said it was a "movement".

It's a shame you didn't read the article that was linked. In it Eni Aluko very clearly explains the difference between free speech and hate speech, and the effect that online abuse has on her, and has had on others.

The really odd thing here is that you are supposed to be an Ipswich supporter.

To put this very plainly:

The sister of one of Ipswich Town's first team squad has been vilely abused just for doing her job, by a shthouse former player and ex-manager, and her mental wellbeing has suffered.

Just as an Ipswich fan, surely you can see that you should be taking the side of Sone Aluko's family.

As an (presumably) adult human being you should be able to see that vile abuse aimed at a young, black woman is wrong, and should have a good enough grasp of what has been said on both sides, and the proper limits of free speech, before you comment on the subject.

I think you’re misunderstanding the conversation me and Guthrum are having brother. We are discussing what Joey Barton meant by it and whether it is purposely hateful or just ( in my opinion ) him being a complete idiot. I’m sorry if I’ve upset you. Have a good day
[Post edited 17 Jan 11:20]
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:24 - Jan 17 with 1990 viewsJackNorthStand

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:12 - Jan 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

What about the opinions of the woman in the article who feared for her safety and was frightened to leave home?

I haven’t dismissed that at all. People can be hurt by comments that are made by someone being an “ idiot “ just as they can be hurt by “ hate speech”.

I don’t believe Barton was trying to create hate. I think he has just been an idiot and trying to be outspoken as he is prone to doing.
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:26 - Jan 17 with 1978 viewsJackNorthStand

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:19 - Jan 17 by RobTheMonk

Lmao. Your second point is funny considering Barton comparing Eni Aluko and Lucy Ward to Fred and Rose West... Maybe you need to look at the crimes they committed...

Exactly why he has made himself look daft. Comparing a football pundit who he thinks is rubbish, to a serial killer. It’s ridiculous. And that is exactly how I see it.
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:52 - Jan 17 with 1887 viewsredrickstuhaart

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:26 - Jan 17 by JackNorthStand

Exactly why he has made himself look daft. Comparing a football pundit who he thinks is rubbish, to a serial killer. It’s ridiculous. And that is exactly how I see it.

Plainly hateful. It provides cover and comfort to agressive idiots and bigots. So dangerous too.
The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 12:08 - Jan 17 with 1831 viewsSwansea_Blue

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:43 - Jan 17 by JackNorthStand

The problem is the people who are paying attention to him; those people who are desperate for an excuse to justify (in their minds) their racism/bigotry/misogyny. Barton facilitates those sorts of behaviours. He may not be explicitly encouraging people, but he’s obviously having an impact as proven by the testimony of the people on the end of the resulting abuse.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 12:46 - Jan 17 with 1708 viewsIllinoisblue

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:32 - Jan 17 by blueasfook

The guy is a loon. He seems to have moved on to Jeremy Vine now and insists on calling him "Bike Nonce".

When Katie Hopkins praises you, you know you are the wrong side of the fence! Also, I hope he has deep pockets for legal fees!

Vine and others taking legal action will further enrage the women-hating loon, and push him ever deeper into his “the deep state are out to get me” conspiracy nonsense.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 12:54 - Jan 17 with 1661 viewsSitfcB

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 10:16 - Jan 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

She is much stronger, more dignified and worthy of respect than Bartman.

Maybe so but she’s a sh!te pundit and it’s not because she’s a woman.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 13:19 - Jan 17 with 1562 viewsArnoldMoorhen

The dark side of the Joey Barton circus on 11:19 - Jan 17 by JackNorthStand

I think you’re misunderstanding the conversation me and Guthrum are having brother. We are discussing what Joey Barton meant by it and whether it is purposely hateful or just ( in my opinion ) him being a complete idiot. I’m sorry if I’ve upset you. Have a good day
[Post edited 17 Jan 11:20]

I think that in your original (edited) post, and to a lesser extent in subsequent replies, you, mainly spoke out to defend Barton's "right to free speech" rather than show any understanding of:

Why what he said went beyond the bounds of reasonable free speech.

Why it inflamed a wider circle of Twitter trolls, some of whom may be stupid enough to take action against Eni Aluko in real life, or at least give her cause to fear that that might happen.

And went so far as to say that the worst thing in the whole debate was not the fear and sense of threat that Eni Aluko is being put in, but people responding to Barton, which in your opinion is stifling free speech.

You haven't upset me though, it's just that I try to speak out against hate speech at every opportunity. Barton engaged in hate speech, so I will politely explain why to anyone who seeks to defend him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024