Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For those in despair.. 18:40 - Feb 3 with 3082 viewswhymark4lazio0

Quick reminder of what happened last season:-

4 February 2023 Cambridge United 1–1 Ipswich Town
11 February 2023 Ipswich Town 2–2 Sheffield Wednesday
14 February 2023 Bristol Rovers 0–0 Ipswich Town

At this point we were 8 points off automatic places and people were saying we'd have to settle for the play-offs. But then our January transfer acquisitions began to show their class.....

18 February 2023 Ipswich Town 4–0 Forest Green Rovers
18 February 2023 Milton Keynes Dons 0–1 Ipswich Town
4 March 2023 Ipswich Town 4–0 Burton Albion
7 March 2023 Ipswich Town 3–0 Accrington Stanley
11 March 2023 Bolton Wanderers 0–2 Ipswich Town
18 March 2023 Ipswich Town 2–0 Shrewsbury Town
1 April 2023 Derby County 0–2 Ipswich Town
7 April 2023 Ipswich Town 4–0 Wycombe Wanderers
10 April 2023 Cheltenham Town 1–1 Ipswich Town
15 April 2023 Ipswich Town 6–0 Charlton Athletic
18 April 2023 Ipswich Town 2–1 Port Vale
22 April 2023 Peterborough United 0–3 Ipswich Town
25 April 2023 Barnsley 0–3 Ipswich Town
29 April 2023 Ipswich Town 6–0 Exeter City
7 May 2023 Fleetwood Town 2–2 Ipswich Town

I know the standard is higher in the Championship- but we have more attacking options and cover for every position. Also we've played all the top 3 matches home and away with the exception of Southampton at home (home advantage gives us a chance to close the gap). There is no reason why we can't put together a long winning run.

Don't despair, have faith in McKenna and the squad.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

For those in despair.. on 18:47 - Feb 3 with 2762 viewsbackwaywhen

Absolutely, far too many games to play as yet , and to write us off is is ridiculous.
But we have to stop gifting the opposition points , as I believe we did today …..in fact we gift wrapped their third .
For those in despair.. on 18:54 - Feb 3 with 2709 viewsnrb1985

Not sure anybody apart from a few bed wetters is in despair, however, unfortunately we won’t be playing Accrington or forest green in the second half of the season as per your example below - so not sure it’s very useful.
For those in despair.. on 19:03 - Feb 3 with 2640 viewsTheBoyBlue

We did particularly well to win against Forest Green and away to MK Dons on the same day. We were a machine!

Joking aside though, you're absolutely spot on. It'll be harder to go on a run like that in the Championship and we won't see both Southampton and Leeds blow up like Sheffield Wednesday did, but we're in a better position than back then and if Moore carries on as he's started we're in for a great finish!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

For those in despair.. on 19:08 - Feb 3 with 2592 viewstextbackup

You realise we are in a league above now, don’t you?

With far better teams and players

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

For those in despair.. on 19:16 - Feb 3 with 2541 viewswhymark4lazio0

For those in despair.. on 19:08 - Feb 3 by textbackup

You realise we are in a league above now, don’t you?

With far better teams and players

Yes. Please read my second last paragraph.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

For those in despair.. on 19:24 - Feb 3 with 2504 viewsHighgateBlue

My hope over the last weeks (during our dip and since Hirst got injured) has been that 1) we would improve our striker situation and have a good window generally, and 2) consequently have a February onwards like we did last year.

We've done the first bit of that really quite excitingly, and now the hope is that we can allow that to help us kick on. What I would say is that we need to hit the ground running with the new signings once they've had a chance to have a full week with the squad, because February and March look like much softer months than April at least on paper.

I'm not sure what's going on with our defence at present but Kieran surely does not like to allow any kind of problem to fester without a well thought through solution. He must be trusted of course, despite the huge disappointment of 5 goals from 5 shots against on target over the last 2 games.

No need for despair. It's permissible to look back at the last few weeks and be annoyed, but the second half today was chalk and cheese, and with Moore in our starting line there's every reason at least to feel optimistic if not outright confident just yet.

It's gonna be really hard to make 2nd, and the playoffs are a b*tch, but let's just see...
For those in despair.. on 19:26 - Feb 3 with 2489 viewslazyblue

This is with leeeds and Southampton both too good for this league , I trust KMac but the others will not drop nearly enough points .
For those in despair.. on 19:36 - Feb 3 with 2437 viewspointofblue

For those in despair.. on 19:26 - Feb 3 by lazyblue

This is with leeeds and Southampton both too good for this league , I trust KMac but the others will not drop nearly enough points .

Though last season, after Bristol Rovers, we were eight points of Wednesday and they had a game in hand. In this we're two off Southampton and one off Leeds with a game in hand on the latter.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

For those in despair.. on 20:07 - Feb 3 with 2309 viewsSwansea_Blue

For those in despair.. on 19:26 - Feb 3 by lazyblue

Leicester, Leeds and S’ton have ridiculously good squads for this league don’t they. It’s difficult to see any of them easing up. There may be a few bumps along the way, but they won’t be having any long slumps.

We don’t need to worry about them though. This is still in our own hands (I think). But we have to reverse results starting the next match. I think we’ve used up all our spare lives.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

For those in despair.. on 20:14 - Feb 3 with 2268 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Not that I disagree with the sentiment but this isn’t FGR, Mk Dons and Accrington we get to play with vastly superior squads. It’s West Brom, Southampton and Hull we have to play among others.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

For those in despair.. on 20:30 - Feb 3 with 2213 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not only did we need that amazing run of form to the end of the season but we requires Sheffield Wednesday to completely implode for a 5 week period.

I can’t see both Southampton and Leeds doing a Sheffield Wednesday.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

For those in despair.. on 20:37 - Feb 3 with 2182 viewspointofblue

For those in despair.. on 20:30 - Feb 3 by GlasgowBlue

Not only did we need that amazing run of form to the end of the season but we requires Sheffield Wednesday to completely implode for a 5 week period.

I can’t see both Southampton and Leeds doing a Sheffield Wednesday.

They don't need to implode. We're only two off Southampton and one off Leeds with a game in hand on the latter. We were eight off Sheffield Wednesday and they had a game in hand after the draw at Bristol Rovers last year.

This time around we need to win one more than they do. No more than that. Is it possible? Yes. Probable? Not so sure.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

For those in despair.. on 23:05 - Feb 3 with 1981 viewsFrimleyBlue

For those in despair.. on 20:37 - Feb 3 by pointofblue

They don't need to implode. We're only two off Southampton and one off Leeds with a game in hand on the latter. We were eight off Sheffield Wednesday and they had a game in hand after the draw at Bristol Rovers last year.

This time around we need to win one more than they do. No more than that. Is it possible? Yes. Probable? Not so sure.

Leeds run in bar southamlton is 9 of the current bottom 10 clubs.

I don't think we have a chance at autos now personally. It's gone.

We just need to get momentum for the play offs.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

For those in despair.. on 23:18 - Feb 3 with 1927 viewsJ2BLUE

This is my one and only post before I log out because I cannot bear this forum when we don't win.

I am feeling very calm. McKenna got it wrong today IMO but you could at least see why he choose Jackson (who I am a fan of for his workrate and attitude but isn't anymore than a versatile squad member at this level). McKenna went back to something which has worked previously and it didn't work this time. He's a young manager who will get better and better. Promotion this season is a huge ask but i'm feeling ok because I feel like we have the squad to compete now. Southampton and Leeds obviously have more quality but Moore is a big piece of the puzzle and Burgess is on his way back. Our other CBs have been decent but Burgess just gives me more confidence.

I can see McKenna tweaking things so we pummel the box with crosses for Moore. We are serious top two contenders. Will we fall short? Probably but it's nowhere near over and we would have a chance in the play offs.

We just have to realise how far this club has come. We were going nowhere under Evans and were a footnote in the story of football. Now we're being talked about as one of the top four in the Championship setting an 'impossible' pace. We have great owners. A great CEO. A great manager. A great squad. We should appreciate them. Anyone writing us off really hasn't been paying attention. This team has serious bottle and now we have new weapons to compete. I loved seeing how up for it Moore was when he came on like he felt he could drag us back into it. He very nearly did.

The future's bright. The future's blue.

*logs out*

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

For those in despair.. on 07:07 - Feb 4 with 1636 viewsPioneerBlue

I’m here for winning 13-15 of our last 17. Strikers will strike.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

For those in despair.. on 07:25 - Feb 4 with 1594 viewstextbackup

For those in despair.. on 07:07 - Feb 4 by PioneerBlue

I’m here for winning 13-15 of our last 17. Strikers will strike.

If we somehow get back to averaging 2ppg that brings in 34 points, meaning we finish on 93 points.

But I still don’t think that gets us 2nd, or even 3rd.

That’s not me being negative, that’s just how strong the league is

For those in despair.. on 07:31 - Feb 4 with 1567 viewstractorboy1978

For those in despair.. on 23:05 - Feb 3 by FrimleyBlue

Leeds run in bar southamlton is 9 of the current bottom 10 clubs.

I don't think we have a chance at autos now personally. It's gone.

We just need to get momentum for the play offs.

No it isn't - check again.

After West Brom, we have 9 games in a row where the highest position team we face is currently 13th. That's where we need to make hay and build momentum.
For those in despair.. on 07:50 - Feb 4 with 1514 viewstractorboy1978

For those in despair.. on 07:25 - Feb 4 by textbackup

If we somehow get back to averaging 2ppg that brings in 34 points, meaning we finish on 93 points.

But I still don’t think that gets us 2nd, or even 3rd.

That’s not me being negative, that’s just how strong the league is

Ultimately, KM is right that all we can do is concentrate on ourselves. One game at a time and pick up as many points as we can. If we hit 92 points and it isn't enough then you have to congratulate the teams that finished ahead of us because there isn't much more you can do. It's enough to get you promoted in any other season.

The key for us is going to be our defence. Away from home in particular we need to get back to being more resolute. We will always score goals and with Moore we have a constant threat and focal point again now.
For those in despair.. on 07:52 - Feb 4 with 1506 viewspennblue

I think the challenge we have is integrating the new players into the team. It feels like we need another pre season

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

For those in despair.. on 08:20 - Feb 4 with 1425 viewsChrisd

A valid point, but we aren’t talking about teams last season that are a patch on what Southampton and Leeds United have got. A lot of their players have Premier League experience and quality. The reality is, if we finish in the top 6 and a Play Off position, we’ve had a great season. Every one of us would’ve taken that back in August, especially with many of our squad playing L1 football last season. I just can’t see Southampton or Leeds losing many points between now and the end of the season, they’ve got too many good players for this level of football and are growing in confidence.
[Post edited 4 Feb 8:36]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

For those in despair.. on 08:22 - Feb 4 with 1415 viewstextbackup

For those in despair.. on 07:50 - Feb 4 by tractorboy1978

Ultimately, KM is right that all we can do is concentrate on ourselves. One game at a time and pick up as many points as we can. If we hit 92 points and it isn't enough then you have to congratulate the teams that finished ahead of us because there isn't much more you can do. It's enough to get you promoted in any other season.

The key for us is going to be our defence. Away from home in particular we need to get back to being more resolute. We will always score goals and with Moore we have a constant threat and focal point again now.

Back to back seasons hitting 90 points would be bloody brilliant…. And as you say, it’s then just a hats off to those above you

For those in despair.. on 08:29 - Feb 4 with 1385 viewscressi

And a quick reminder to you sir we played Accrington stanley Exeter etc Not Wba Southampton etc so quite irrelevant.
For those in despair.. on 08:38 - Feb 4 with 1345 viewschicoazul

No idea why anyone would be despairing. Even if we don’t make it thru the play offs this has been a great season and has laid the foundations for the next five years. We are a strong championship team again.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

For those in despair.. on 08:44 - Feb 4 with 1315 viewstractorboy1978

For those in despair.. on 08:20 - Feb 4 by Chrisd

A valid point, but we aren’t talking about teams last season that are a patch on what Southampton and Leeds United have got. A lot of their players have Premier League experience and quality. The reality is, if we finish in the top 6 and a Play Off position, we’ve had a great season. Every one of us would’ve taken that back in August, especially with many of our squad playing L1 football last season. I just can’t see Southampton or Leeds losing many points between now and the end of the season, they’ve got too many good players for this level of football and are growing in confidence.
[Post edited 4 Feb 8:36]

It could come down to mental fortitude as much as quality though. All three teams are going to have a set back between now and the end of the season, it will be how well they react to it. Season after season you see strange results and pressure does funny things.
For those in despair.. on 08:53 - Feb 4 with 1270 viewsChrisd

For those in despair.. on 08:44 - Feb 4 by tractorboy1978

It could come down to mental fortitude as much as quality though. All three teams are going to have a set back between now and the end of the season, it will be how well they react to it. Season after season you see strange results and pressure does funny things.

I don’t think it will with these two sides, they are now on a roll and their squads are too good for this league. The top 3 will be those who occupy those positions now with Leicester winning it by a country mile. On the flip side of your argument, you normally have a side slip out of the Play Offs with their place taken by a side that finishes the season strongly. There’s no doubt we are having a wobble, but we’ll be top 6 come May, but not top 2 IMO.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024