Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One thing that puzzles me... 16:48 - Feb 4 with 3478 viewswhymark4lazio0

Many on here have said we were terrible in the first half. That is true to some extent but isn't it mainly explained by the fact we conceded an unfortunate (I'm being generous to the referee) goal on 5 mins and another goal on 7 mins which was clearly offside. I know we'd like our players to be machines but to be knocked to the canvas twice in the first 7 minutes through no fault of our own was bound to shake us and give PNE a huge boost. Yes we conceded a sloppy goal on 39 minutes but to criticise our first half performance without acknowledging the impact of those 2 bizarre goals in just 7 minutes is peculiar.

In the second-half, Moore obviously made a big difference but just as important was the whole team refusing to accept defeat. That never say die attitude (which has been proven time and time again) and NOT the random opening 7 minutes should be the main take away.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

Nah, we were totally plop. (n/t) on 16:54 - Feb 4 with 3028 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

One thing that puzzles me... on 17:01 - Feb 4 with 3004 viewsIllinoisblue

More puzzling: “if you ignore the 3 goals we conceded we had a great half”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

One thing that puzzles me... on 17:01 - Feb 4 with 2997 viewsDavoIPB

We were awful though if we are being honest. Too slow in passing lack of passing accuracy. At least a yard off the pace of the game. Very poor decision making all over the pitch.
One thing that puzzles me... on 17:09 - Feb 4 with 2954 viewswhymark4lazio0

One thing that puzzles me... on 17:01 - Feb 4 by DavoIPB

We were awful though if we are being honest. Too slow in passing lack of passing accuracy. At least a yard off the pace of the game. Very poor decision making all over the pitch.

My point is that our performance in the first half was impacted by conceding 2 bizarre goals in the first 7 minutes. Do you not think that those goals knocked the wind out of our sails and also boosted PNE?

One thing that puzzles me... on 17:27 - Feb 4 with 2880 viewsEastboundSplinter

One thing that puzzles me... on 17:01 - Feb 4 by Illinoisblue

We’ve never actually had a bad game (if you take out all those pesky opposition goals)
One thing that puzzles me... on 17:36 - Feb 4 with 2831 viewsMeadowlark

Don't come on here trying to be reasonable........it's not the done thing......

You have to decide which camp you're in.

Either we were totally cack, or we were robbed.
One thing that puzzles me... on 19:30 - Feb 4 with 2639 viewsnorfsufblue

One thing that puzzles me... on 17:09 - Feb 4 by whymark4lazio0

My point is that our performance in the first half was impacted by conceding 2 bizarre goals in the first 7 minutes. Do you not think that those goals knocked the wind out of our sails and also boosted PNE?

I get exactly what you are saying....... our first game at Sunderland could have gone a similar way but we rode a storm and played ourselves into the game and then delivered two suckered punches ourselves..... goals obviously change games and demeanour and we were still in it as long as we scored the third goal...... allowing the mess that was the 3rd goal definitely cost us a point if not 3.
One thing that puzzles me... on 19:39 - Feb 4 with 2594 viewsFrimleyBlue

It has been the main take away.

Those bringing up the first half are the ones moaning at those who moaned about it as it happened.

It was a great 2nd half.

But first half was a sht show from our side. The passing. The movement. The lack of energy from morsy. It was just all rather sht tbh.

[Post edited 4 Feb 19:59]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

One thing that puzzles me... on 19:53 - Feb 4 with 2569 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Ignoring the goals which we conceded (which is daft), we still didn’t lay a glove on them to use your boxing analogy. Not a single shot at their goal, whereas they looked like scoring with every attack. They also beat us to every 50/50 ball.

Look this squad is amazing, but they aren’t invincible and they had an awful first half. To claim otherwise is just odd.
One thing that puzzles me... on 20:15 - Feb 4 with 2478 viewspointofblue

One thing that puzzles me... on 19:53 - Feb 4 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Ignoring the goals which we conceded (which is daft), we still didn’t lay a glove on them to use your boxing analogy. Not a single shot at their goal, whereas they looked like scoring with every attack. They also beat us to every 50/50 ball.

Look this squad is amazing, but they aren’t invincible and they had an awful first half. To claim otherwise is just odd.

I don't think the OP is denying that Town were dreadful in the first half, but acknowledging conceding two early controversial goals deflated us and encouraged Preston, which then impacted the rest of the half. Should Town have regrouped and managed the game better than they did? Definitely.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

One thing that puzzles me... on 20:34 - Feb 4 with 2427 viewsTangledupin_Blue

We were unlucky. If the game had kicked off at 3:15 instead of 3 o'clock then we'd have been leading 2-1 with quarter of an hour to go.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

One thing that puzzles me... on 20:53 - Feb 4 with 2360 viewsNthsuffolkblue

One thing that puzzles me... on 20:34 - Feb 4 by Tangledupin_Blue

We were unlucky. If the game had kicked off at 3:15 instead of 3 o'clock then we'd have been leading 2-1 with quarter of an hour to go.

It didn't kick off at 3.00 for some reason anyway! Unfortunately, we also didn't start playing until much later than when it did kick off. When I asked what time we do kick off, someone rather cleverly responded "every 15 minutes!"

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

One thing that puzzles me... on 20:55 - Feb 4 with 2346 viewsibbleobble

We squandered possession more times in a scrappy 15-minute spell than I’ve seen us do all season. It’s probably the worst half of football we’ve had under KM although Bristol Rovers or Leeds away might shade it.
One thing that puzzles me... on 22:22 - Feb 4 with 2197 viewsKropotkin123

The second goal definitely shouldn't be ignored. It was good defending. They should be commended for playing the attacker offside. That the linesman didn't see it certainly should be used against us.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

One thing that puzzles me... on 22:34 - Feb 4 with 2160 viewsFrimleyBlue

One thing that puzzles me... on 22:22 - Feb 4 by Kropotkin123

The second goal definitely shouldn't be ignored. It was good defending. They should be commended for playing the attacker offside. That the linesman didn't see it certainly should be used against us.

Or.

In a world where officials are known for being sht. Its suicide to play the offside trap. If edmundson doesn't move forward he's given himself a better chance of stopping the goal from happening.

Waka waka eh eh

One thing that puzzles me... on 08:05 - Feb 5 with 1957 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Said not a single person anywhere.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

One thing that puzzles me... on 08:06 - Feb 5 with 1956 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One thing that puzzles me... on 22:34 - Feb 4 by FrimleyBlue

Or.

In a world where officials are known for being sht. Its suicide to play the offside trap. If edmundson doesn't move forward he's given himself a better chance of stopping the goal from happening.

Call me old fashioned, by I reckon we ought to play by the rules.

One thing that puzzles me... on 10:20 - Feb 5 with 1800 viewsFrimleyBlue

One thing that puzzles me... on 08:06 - Feb 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

Call me old fashioned, by I reckon we ought to play by the rules.

Of course. But don't take the risk imo. There's no var so why gamble on officials making the right call?

Absolutely they should. But we know they don't. So when there isn't a 2nd chance. Just drop off.

Waka waka eh eh

One thing that puzzles me... on 10:25 - Feb 5 with 1788 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

One thing that puzzles me... on 10:20 - Feb 5 by FrimleyBlue

Of course. But don't take the risk imo. There's no var so why gamble on officials making the right call?

Absolutely they should. But we know they don't. So when there isn't a 2nd chance. Just drop off.

Adjusting your game to how you think the officials might make a call, rather than follow the rules, can lead to its own problems. And will likely make you very conservative.

One thing that puzzles me... on 10:32 - Feb 5 with 1749 viewsDanTheMan

We were bad in the first half, but going in 3-0 was very harsh. In my mind, 1-0 would have been more appropriate.

But we didn't show anything either, it's not like we were getting shots off ourselves. But it is worth taking into account that going 2 down from (arguably) officiating errors massively changed the dynamic of the game.

I argued much the same after the game, but people are still right that we weren't good enough in the first half.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

One thing that puzzles me... on 10:38 - Feb 5 with 1728 viewsEastboundSplinter

One thing that puzzles me... on 10:25 - Feb 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

Adjusting your game to how you think the officials might make a call, rather than follow the rules, can lead to its own problems. And will likely make you very conservative.

Indeed. And with 85% of key match incidents in the Championship being judged correctly it’d be silly to optimise for the 15% they get wrong.
One thing that puzzles me... on 10:43 - Feb 5 with 1707 viewswhymark4lazio0

Interesting to come back to this thread. My original post said (about our poor first-half display)

"....isn't it mainly explained by the fact we conceded an unfortunate (I'm being generous to the referee) goal on 5 mins and another goal on 7 mins which was clearly offside. I know we'd like our players to be machines but to be knocked to the canvas twice in the first 7 minutes through no fault of our own was bound to shake us and give PNE a huge boost."

It's interesting because none of those who replied and said, in effect, 'disagree we were just poo/crap etc', have addressed my essential argument as quoted above. I can only conclude that they believe that conceding 2 extremely unfortunate goals in the first 7 minutes should have no effect on our or our opposition's confidence and performance for the rest of the half. As I say, that's an interesting perspective.

One thing that puzzles me... on 11:39 - Feb 5 with 1561 viewsNthQldITFC

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but I hadn't seen this breakdown of goals scored and goals conceded in 15min chunks before:

While we clearly have a big deficit at the start of the first half, and a bit of a deficit at the start of the second half, we are absolutely awesome at the end of both halves.

Are the two related in terms of a balance of the way we use our energy in each 45 minute period? Aside from goals, it has often looked like our opponents are shagged out after about 60/70 mins and we seem to always finish strong. Is the same thing happening after 30/35 minutes too?

We do seem to be a very fit team, and I wonder if our early conceding is because we do something differently to everyone else in terms of deliberately drawing our opponents sting early on in order to overpower them later. I wonder if we can tweak something to maintain the benefit whilst minimising the early risk?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

One thing that puzzles me... on 11:43 - Feb 5 with 1541 viewsEastboundSplinter

One thing that puzzles me... on 11:39 - Feb 5 by NthQldITFC

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but I hadn't seen this breakdown of goals scored and goals conceded in 15min chunks before:

While we clearly have a big deficit at the start of the first half, and a bit of a deficit at the start of the second half, we are absolutely awesome at the end of both halves.

Are the two related in terms of a balance of the way we use our energy in each 45 minute period? Aside from goals, it has often looked like our opponents are shagged out after about 60/70 mins and we seem to always finish strong. Is the same thing happening after 30/35 minutes too?

We do seem to be a very fit team, and I wonder if our early conceding is because we do something differently to everyone else in terms of deliberately drawing our opponents sting early on in order to overpower them later. I wonder if we can tweak something to maintain the benefit whilst minimising the early risk?

That’s exactly what we did to Leicester and to great effect. Sadly it’s no longer a secret and was quickly identified by the Sky pundits on the game. Teams will be prepared for this and are exploiting it. I don’t necessarily think that we should change tact but it needs some tweaking just to keep opposition on their toes.
One thing that puzzles me... on 11:47 - Feb 5 with 1510 viewsNthQldITFC

One thing that puzzles me... on 11:43 - Feb 5 by EastboundSplinter

That’s exactly what we did to Leicester and to great effect. Sadly it’s no longer a secret and was quickly identified by the Sky pundits on the game. Teams will be prepared for this and are exploiting it. I don’t necessarily think that we should change tact but it needs some tweaking just to keep opposition on their toes.

My feeling is that we stick a little too religiously to our high risk 'baiting' tactics right from the start of each (particularly the first) half. But goading the opposition into chasing hard then is probably what is bringing us the benefit later on. Nevertheless, I think we should be a bit more conservative with the risk taking in the first ten minutes of each half, then move into that when we're 'warmed up'.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024