Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Weimann Handball 11:24 - Feb 12 with 2920 viewsAsa

Am I missing something here that was obvious to others?

The Sky commentary (let's not put any faith in what waffle Goodman comes out with) were full of praise for the assistant spotting the handball.

The Second Tier podcast were likewise. In fairness they watched it on Sky and have likely gone with Goodman.

I sit right behind that assistant. They were hopeless. Everyone of us shouted handball and the assistant didn't flag, didn't remotely gesture he'd seen it. He simply started to run back down the touchline as if the goal had been awarded.

It seemed to be the referee who gave it, with five of our players immediately appealing for a handball. The ref, several times on Saturday, waited several seconds before giving a decision, so looked as if he either spotted it or, given the delay, was unsure and was convinced by how many of our players reacted at once.

The assistant may have communicated with the ref but their behaviour says otherwise. Surely they flag or stay in place. Seems to me Goodman just talking nonsense again and guessing because the ref took a while but anyone actually see the assistant to anything?

We were stunned that the assistant had missed that as well as several other things and, I may be wrong, but can't see where he was involved at all in that call!
Weimann Handball on 11:26 - Feb 12 with 2843 viewsSitfcB

I thought the assistant had told him as ref didn’t look like he was going to disallow it initially considering he had a clear view.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Weimann Handball on 11:26 - Feb 12 with 2835 viewsDennyx4

To me it looked like the ref made the decision based on the players reactions.

I am with you, that the linesman did not make that decision.

At least they did get the right decision though.
Weimann Handball on 11:28 - Feb 12 with 2806 viewsAsa

Weimann Handball on 11:26 - Feb 12 by SitfcB

I thought the assistant had told him as ref didn’t look like he was going to disallow it initially considering he had a clear view.

The assistant didn't remotely act as they had seen it. If anything, and they are expecting the freekick, they stay in place to ensure the ball is placed correctly.

Can see why others might have assumed so as the ref certainly didn't look like they were going to give it. Felt like about 10 seconds (was clearly 1 or 2) were we were sat there thinking Weimann had got away with it!

But the assistant didn't remotely seem to get involved in that at all and can't see why they'd move away from where they were if they expected a free kick to be placed based on their feedback to the ref.
Weimann Handball on 11:29 - Feb 12 with 2793 viewsSheffordBlue

Without access to the audio discussion between them over their mics/headsets it's difficult to know. If the assistant ref flags and the ref disagrees from their viewpoint it leads to even more fan frustration so maybe in these situations they don't overtly flag it?

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Weimann Handball on 11:30 - Feb 12 with 2768 viewsbaxterbasics

That would have been suck a kick in the nads had the goal been allowed.

Like the commentators said at the time, it was such a weird move given his head was right there! Maybe there was something in the speculation that he was worried about nutting the post? An instinctive protective move?

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Weimann Handball on 11:36 - Feb 12 with 2707 viewsSarge

I would be stunned if the assistant made the decision, given that he struggled to make any kind of decision by himself all afternoon.

It would probably save on payroll with no loss of functionality if in future they just get a pole to attach the flag to
Weimann Handball on 11:37 - Feb 12 with 2689 viewsPinewoodblue

Weimann Handball on 11:29 - Feb 12 by SheffordBlue

Without access to the audio discussion between them over their mics/headsets it's difficult to know. If the assistant ref flags and the ref disagrees from their viewpoint it leads to even more fan frustration so maybe in these situations they don't overtly flag it?

Was it the same linesman who didn’t see the ball deflect of a WBA defender six feet in front of him and gave a goal kick.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Weimann Handball on 11:48 - Feb 12 with 2560 viewsAsa

Weimann Handball on 11:37 - Feb 12 by Pinewoodblue

Was it the same linesman who didn’t see the ball deflect of a WBA defender six feet in front of him and gave a goal kick.

That one was quite incredible as well.

Can't recall who was chasing the ball now, but the Albion player played the ball off our player, whilst both were fully on the pitch, it hit our player, then clearly hit theirs and he gave a goal kick. He was two yards away.

It was unmissable. So the only other possibility was he thought their player was off the pitch and the ball was out before it hit him, also an impossibility based on where their player was stood.

He also flagged for a throw for a ball that was not even half way over the line, so definitely not the whole ball and this was 5 yards away from him and then didn't give a throw about 3-4 minutes later when the whole ball and then some was gone from a similar distance.
Login to get fewer ads

Weimann Handball on 12:14 - Feb 12 with 2382 viewsgainsboroughblue

It was the reaction of the SAR that helped too I would imagine. Loads of bodies standing up in unison waving their arms is normally an indication something is not quite right.

Absolute scandal had that goal been awarded. The WBA player didn't appear to be about to 'fess up either.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Weimann Handball on 12:16 - Feb 12 with 2346 viewsReuser_is_God

Don Goodman is a cnt

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Weimann Handball on 12:21 - Feb 12 with 2282 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Weimann Handball on 12:16 - Feb 12 by Reuser_is_God

Don Goodman is a cnt

He really is awful. Talks complete nonsense. The other one just constantly tries to build a story but Goodman stands out as being dross
Weimann Handball on 12:40 - Feb 12 with 2146 viewsSteve_M

Weimann Handball on 12:16 - Feb 12 by Reuser_is_God

Don Goodman is a cnt

I forgot about this:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Weimann Handball on 12:58 - Feb 12 with 2015 viewsFixed_It

Weimann Handball on 11:48 - Feb 12 by Asa

That one was quite incredible as well.

Can't recall who was chasing the ball now, but the Albion player played the ball off our player, whilst both were fully on the pitch, it hit our player, then clearly hit theirs and he gave a goal kick. He was two yards away.

It was unmissable. So the only other possibility was he thought their player was off the pitch and the ball was out before it hit him, also an impossibility based on where their player was stood.

He also flagged for a throw for a ball that was not even half way over the line, so definitely not the whole ball and this was 5 yards away from him and then didn't give a throw about 3-4 minutes later when the whole ball and then some was gone from a similar distance.

Unsurprisingly Don Goodman defended the lino for not seeing the goalkick/corner incident!!!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Weimann Handball on 14:13 - Feb 12 with 1699 viewspatrickswell

Weimann Handball on 12:21 - Feb 12 by PrideOfTheEast

He really is awful. Talks complete nonsense. The other one just constantly tries to build a story but Goodman stands out as being dross

I don’t mind Goodman, but the other one, Gary Weaver, bugs me so much, that I now watch all our SKY matches on mute, because I don’t want the nerves/tension exacerbated by his verbal diarrhoea.
Weimann Handball on 16:17 - Feb 12 with 1371 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Doesn't matter.... the officials got the decision right.

Its one thing to complain about wrong decisions, its getting a little pedantic to start moaning about correct decisions.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Weimann Handball on 17:24 - Feb 12 with 1237 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Weimann Handball on 16:17 - Feb 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Doesn't matter.... the officials got the decision right.

Its one thing to complain about wrong decisions, its getting a little pedantic to start moaning about correct decisions.

Ha, true. Think we were fairly close to that being given on Saturday though.
Weimann Handball on 17:37 - Feb 12 with 1188 views66notout

Let's face it, the officials are merely sticking together and are more worried about that than if the decision is the right one. Look at throw-ins that may be contentious, the assistant won't commit him/herself until the ref makes the decison, at which point the assistant will agree and raise his/her flag accordingly, regardless of whether he/she agrees with it.
Weimann Handball on 17:54 - Feb 12 with 1140 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Weimann Handball on 17:24 - Feb 12 by PrideOfTheEast

Ha, true. Think we were fairly close to that being given on Saturday though.

Its all good.

This is football, human error exists.

Chaplin and Woolfy made errors too. But thats football.

Its all part of the fun.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Weimann Handball on 18:05 - Feb 12 with 1101 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Weimann Handball on 17:54 - Feb 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its all good.

This is football, human error exists.

Chaplin and Woolfy made errors too. But thats football.

Its all part of the fun.

I think this is the thing, we allow officials less leeway with errors than anyone else. However, it is a little understandable because they have so much influence too. Don't forget, it is the over-analysis of officials that has led to VAR.

As for the two incidents. In real time on Sky I thought it was a goal and was impressed the referee spotted it. On Town in 5, the players' reactions make it clear which may have helped the referee to make the call but he is unlikely to have done so on their reactions alone - especially with then booking the player.

The assistant referee was at the wrong angle to see Broadhead's rebound hit the defender before going out. He was in the correct position to see whether the ball had gone out. It was just one of those things.

Ultimately, I thought the officials did well. Much better than the referee and one assistant at Preston.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024