Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morsy 23:24 - Feb 17 with 3589 viewsnshearman1

Today was another great battling performance from the whole squad including the subs. But what struck me again was the key role Morsy plays in all this. He is our Captain Fantastic, combative and on the edge of yellow cards (!) but the beating heart of this Ipswich Town side. In previous times Town was often known as a soft touch. Not any more. This guy is so so important to us.
Morsy on 23:40 - Feb 17 with 3107 viewsGarv

I hope this doesn't sound over the top but taking everything into account he's arguably the best (or maybe most important) player we've had since dropping into the second tier.

I know he's played most of his football for us in League One but it's all relative. He's immense and we won't replace him like for like.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Morsy on 00:44 - Feb 18 with 2970 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Morsy on 23:40 - Feb 17 by Garv

I hope this doesn't sound over the top but taking everything into account he's arguably the best (or maybe most important) player we've had since dropping into the second tier.

I know he's played most of his football for us in League One but it's all relative. He's immense and we won't replace him like for like.

Since being relegated under Burley we have had the following contenders (off the top of my head) for best player in his position:

Matt Holland
Sylvain Legwinski
Tommy Miller
Guirane N'Daw
Owen Garvan
Jimmy Bullard (loan season)
Kevin Horlock
Cole Skuse

I can't place him as better than Holland or Legwinski, but possibly more important to the side. However his all round contribution is probably greater than any of the others.
Morsy on 01:03 - Feb 18 with 2930 viewsReus30

Don't want to be controversial but he didn't have the greatest game today.

However, I agree with everything else you said. Whilst we can never like for like replace, if we go with something like Cam and Taylor in the middle once Morsy and Mass depart, not the worst replacements (depending on which league we are in of course).
Morsy on 01:09 - Feb 18 with 2920 viewsWhos_blue

I thought he was supposed to be slow and ponderous and hindered our attacks. Or something.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Morsy on 01:23 - Feb 18 with 2906 viewsnshearman1

Morsy on 00:44 - Feb 18 by ArnoldMoorhen

Since being relegated under Burley we have had the following contenders (off the top of my head) for best player in his position:

Matt Holland
Sylvain Legwinski
Tommy Miller
Guirane N'Daw
Owen Garvan
Kevin Horlock
Cole Skuse

I can't place him as better than Holland or Legwinski, but possibly more important to the side. However his all round contribution is probably greater than any of the others.

I’m amazed you think any of that list apart from Holland come close to what Morsy does for the team
Morsy on 03:16 - Feb 18 with 2750 viewstextbackup

Matt Holland
Sylvain Legwinski
Tommy Miller
Guirane N'Daw
Owen Garvan
Kevin Horlock
Cole Skuse

Crikey what is that list.

You can’t even put Skuse in the same conversation as Morsy… absolutely night and night those two. I remember posters on here saying ‘you can’t have a midfielder that can break up play, and play football, at this level as they’d cost a fortune or already be playing in the prem’

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Morsy on 07:13 - Feb 18 with 2546 viewsClutch

Legwinski was great, but it was definitely the end of his career when he was with us.
Morsy on 07:24 - Feb 18 with 2526 viewsSenatorBlue

Morsy on 03:16 - Feb 18 by textbackup

You can’t even put Skuse in the same conversation as Morsy… absolutely night and night those two. I remember posters on here saying ‘you can’t have a midfielder that can break up play, and play football, at this level as they’d cost a fortune or already be playing in the prem’

Of that list Holland is the only one I’d place above Morsey, and that’s more his time pre and during Premier League. I think he left fairly soon after the drop.

Morsey is so instrumental to us as a team/club. Shame he’s not 27/28! I think he’ll manage us one day.
Login to get fewer ads

Morsy on 07:33 - Feb 18 with 2498 viewsMullet

Morsy on 07:24 - Feb 18 by SenatorBlue

Of that list Holland is the only one I’d place above Morsey, and that’s more his time pre and during Premier League. I think he left fairly soon after the drop.

Morsey is so instrumental to us as a team/club. Shame he’s not 27/28! I think he’ll manage us one day.

Think that's a lot of recency bias given how good Miller and Leggy were especially.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Morsy on 08:05 - Feb 18 with 2401 viewslazyblue

Player of the season for me.
Morsy on 08:24 - Feb 18 with 2328 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Matt Holland
Sylvain Legwinski
Tommy Miller
Guirane N'Daw
Owen Garvan
Kevin Horlock
Cole Skuse

Add
Johnny Wark
Noddy Talbot
Romeo Zondervan
Arny Muhren
Frans Thijssen
And of course
John Elsworthy
Morsy on 08:30 - Feb 18 with 2302 viewsSteve_M

Matt Holland
Sylvain Legwinski
Tommy Miller
Guirane N'Daw
Owen Garvan
Kevin Horlock
Cole Skuse

Jim Magilton wants a word.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Morsy on 08:33 - Feb 18 with 2272 viewsbraveblue

Matt Holland
Sylvain Legwinski
Tommy Miller
Guirane N'Daw
Owen Garvan
Kevin Horlock
Cole Skuse

Skuse!!!!
Morsy on 08:36 - Feb 18 with 2234 viewsSenatorBlue

Morsy on 08:30 - Feb 18 by Steve_M

Jim Magilton wants a word.

You’re not wrong there!

In terms of Captains in my era…

Mills
Holland
Magilton
Morsey

Lots of other great midfielders and players, but influence on team and club those are them for me.
Morsy on 08:40 - Feb 18 with 2204 viewsSwansea_Blue

Morsy on 01:03 - Feb 18 by Reus30

However, I agree with everything else you said. Whilst we can never like for like replace, if we go with something like Cam and Taylor in the middle once Morsy and Mass depart, not the worst replacements (depending on which league we are in of course).

He was ok, but we seemed to lack a bit of energy through the middle. But on the flip side we did enough to see the game out, as we so often do.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Morsy on 08:54 - Feb 18 with 2167 viewsMach_foreignBlue

He is our leader, true captain and brain of this team.

The team full of good characters and professionals. Different world to what we used to have 4, 5, 6 years ago.
Morsy on 09:11 - Feb 18 with 2088 viewsLeoMuff

Morsy on 03:16 - Feb 18 by textbackup

Skuse played over 400 championships matches compared to Morsy in 100s, so someone clearly thinks he is better. Morsy played most of his career in league 1 and 2, he is in the form of his life under Kmac.
[Post edited 18 Feb 9:16]

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Morsy on 09:36 - Feb 18 with 2009 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Morsy on 09:11 - Feb 18 by LeoMuff

Skuse played over 400 championships matches compared to Morsy in 100s, so someone clearly thinks he is better. Morsy played most of his career in league 1 and 2, he is in the form of his life under Kmac.

And he was the anchor for the gung-ho Murphy-Didsy-Hunt-Anderson high press. So extremely important for that team.

Once we retreated to safety-first McCarthyball it was harder to watch the team as a whole, let alone the holding midfielder, but for one glorious season he was the anchor who allowed high press, and a whole lot of fun, to happen.
Morsy on 09:44 - Feb 18 with 1972 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Morsy on 01:23 - Feb 18 by nshearman1

I’m amazed you think any of that list apart from Holland come close to what Morsy does for the team

You don't remember Legwinski?

Or the impact N'Daw made?

Or even Kevin Horlock?

Or the whole away support (nearly) wearing Jimmy Bullard wigs?

In 20 years we have had several players who have had at least one consistently very good half season in the Championship in Central Midfield, which is what Morsy has done for us, so far.

And I only put Holland and Legwinski above him in terms of quality.

I should have included Magilton, because he ran the team, but there was huge frustration with his lack of a forward pass for most of the seasons post-Relegation.

Flynn Downes is the other player who should arguably be on the list.
Morsy on 09:51 - Feb 18 with 1945 viewsHerbivore

He's quality but he is far from the only leader in the group or the only one with a lot of battling qualities. Let's not forget that when he had his two game ban, we were able to beat Sunderland and draw at Leicester. No doubt we're a better side with him in it and he helps to set the standard, but he's not alone in that and we've shown we are still a very good side when he's not in it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Morsy on 09:53 - Feb 18 with 1935 viewsbilllm

Morsy on 01:03 - Feb 18 by Reus30

Brilliant player but agree poor passing and looked out on his feet running on quicksand,
Morsy on 10:28 - Feb 18 with 1855 viewstextbackup

Morsy on 09:11 - Feb 18 by LeoMuff

If Morsys entire game over 8/9 seasons was to sit infront of the defence, win the ball and pass sideways I’d dare say he’d with played more than 100 games at championship level.

Most things I’d happily listen to and see where others are coming from… but Morsy and Skuse, na, no comparing

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Morsy on 10:44 - Feb 18 with 1803 viewsGarv

Morsy on 09:44 - Feb 18 by ArnoldMoorhen

You don't remember Legwinski?

Or the impact N'Daw made?

Or even Kevin Horlock?

Or the whole away support (nearly) wearing Jimmy Bullard wigs?

In 20 years we have had several players who have had at least one consistently very good half season in the Championship in Central Midfield, which is what Morsy has done for us, so far.

And I only put Holland and Legwinski above him in terms of quality.

I should have included Magilton, because he ran the team, but there was huge frustration with his lack of a forward pass for most of the seasons post-Relegation.

Flynn Downes is the other player who should arguably be on the list.

Why are you disregarding what Morsy did in League One?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Morsy on 10:47 - Feb 18 with 1706 viewsHerbivore

Morsy on 10:44 - Feb 18 by Garv

Why are you disregarding what Morsy did in League One?

Probably because he's being compared to players who played for us in the Championship.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Morsy on 14:28 - Feb 18 with 1513 viewsSharkey

Morsy on 08:54 - Feb 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

He is our leader, true captain and brain of this team.

The team full of good characters and professionals. Different world to what we used to have 4, 5, 6 years ago.

It's a moot point whether teams are successful because they're all really good lads, or whether they're really good lads because they''re successful. The answer is no doubt a bit of each.

I bet almost all those players of 4,5,6 years ago would turn out to be 'good characters and professionals' if you dropped any one of them into the current set-up. It's much easier to be happy at work when the whole set-up is functioning. In particular, it's much harder to get annoyed with not being in the team if the team is winning. Kieffer Moore is probably pretty much the same sort of bloke he was 6 years ago. And KVY for example is probably as nice a guy as you could wish to meet. He just wasn't quite good enough at football. He may have been upgraded as player, but I'm sure many of the squad were sad to see him leave.

And even compared with 5 or 6 years ago, players are better media-trained to come across as likeable 'individuals' with distinct personalities while at the same time operating as a group, with the cameras showing them larking around, playing darts, having 'a bit of banter'. (England have taken this to a whole different level.)
[Post edited 18 Feb 14:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024