Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ground Capacity 07:22 - Feb 19 with 4553 viewsChurchman

There are some interesting stats on attendances in the attached.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/GB2/saiso

Most noticeable is the percentage of the ground filled. Ours is the highest at 97%. That as much as anything else to me shows how good the work is by the ticketing people to re-sell unsold blocks of away section allocation. It all makes a difference.

As for our average attendance: remarkable. I wonder what it’d be if the capacity was greater. I’ve always thought approx 33k was enough. But is it?
[Post edited 19 Feb 13:49]
Ground Capacity on 07:51 - Feb 19 with 3929 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

33k would probably be enough now but if we go up I believe we have to give bigger away allocations. It’s a remarkable turnaround. We have a huge catchment area, probably ~1m people, and no doubt one of the reasons Gamechanger bought the club. Places like the North West are saturated with league teams so there’s only so much potential.

The saddest thing is we’ve probably lost a lot of potential fans over the Evans era. Growing up in Essex, Ipswich was the natural team to support but after years of mediocrity it’s now West Ham (though granted a lot of those are people that have moved out from east London, and despite supporting the team don’t have anything good to say about London).
Ground Capacity on 09:55 - Feb 19 with 3659 viewsFtnfwest

I still think around 33k is enough for us and any planned redevelopment of the cobbold is the main opportunity to increase capacity (whereas you'd eventually do the other stands as well but in doing so you probably wouldn't increase the capacity that much. As has been said, should increase away capacity to say 3k as well.
Ground Capacity on 10:14 - Feb 19 with 3574 viewsOldFart71

Given that I know of several people who would go to PR more regularly if tickets were available and that if we got in the Premier League not only could you possibly add 3-5,000 home fans and maybe a couple of thousand more on top of the 2,000 seats currently available to away fans a minimum capacity would in my opinion need to be 35,000.
Ground Capacity on 10:30 - Feb 19 with 3516 viewsPinewoodblue

Ground Capacity on 09:55 - Feb 19 by Ftnfwest

I still think around 33k is enough for us and any planned redevelopment of the cobbold is the main opportunity to increase capacity (whereas you'd eventually do the other stands as well but in doing so you probably wouldn't increase the capacity that much. As has been said, should increase away capacity to say 3k as well.

Premier League away allocation is a minimum of 3,000, or 10% of capacity if less than 30,000.

Means capacity for home fans reduced if we are promoted.

Should we become an established Premier League club closer to 40,000 than 35,000 ought to be the target.

Worth adding that this seasons average attendance will be the highest ever.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Ground Capacity on 10:59 - Feb 19 with 3419 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Ground Capacity on 10:30 - Feb 19 by Pinewoodblue

Premier League away allocation is a minimum of 3,000, or 10% of capacity if less than 30,000.

Means capacity for home fans reduced if we are promoted.

Should we become an established Premier League club closer to 40,000 than 35,000 ought to be the target.

Worth adding that this seasons average attendance will be the highest ever.

That’s why we have gone above 21,000 season ticket holders.

Cobbold stand need re looking at.

8,000 capacity? Outdated! 2 tier with boxes in the middle where if people in front stand up with excitement the box holders can’t.

Looking at other grounds - the Copenhagen ground stand looks an upgrade ( 2 tiers and boxes in middle.
There stadium goes to 38k
If we did that we could go to 33 - 35k?

Ground Capacity on 11:19 - Feb 19 with 3338 viewsElephantintheRoom

Yes. There’s more money to be made by fleecing people with Town TV

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ground Capacity on 11:33 - Feb 19 with 3302 viewsGeoffSentence

Ground Capacity on 11:19 - Feb 19 by ElephantintheRoom

You tink it should be free? And the club absorb the costs?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ground Capacity on 11:56 - Feb 19 with 3236 viewsFBI

Say something positive. Go on, I dare you.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Login to get fewer ads

Ground Capacity on 12:27 - Feb 19 with 3132 viewsMercian

Blackburn's attendences are terrible. Is there a reason for that?
[Post edited 19 Feb 12:29]
Ground Capacity on 12:31 - Feb 19 with 3111 viewsnrb1985

Ground Capacity on 12:27 - Feb 19 by Mercian

Blackburn's attendences are terrible. Is there a reason for that?
[Post edited 19 Feb 12:29]

statistically I believe them and a few other of the "smaller" teams in the north west are some of the best supported. As measured by ratio of population of town vs. attendances.
Ground Capacity on 12:43 - Feb 19 with 3060 viewsClapham_Junction

How things change - looking at previous years, in 2017/18 we had the lowest ground filled percentage in the Championship (just 54%)
Ground Capacity on 13:42 - Feb 19 with 2896 viewsPinewoodblue

Ground Capacity on 11:56 - Feb 19 by FBI

Say something positive. Go on, I dare you.

Preferably “I’m leaving”

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Ground Capacity on 13:56 - Feb 19 with 2821 viewsSharkey

Ground Capacity on 07:51 - Feb 19 by SuperKieranMcKenna

33k would probably be enough now but if we go up I believe we have to give bigger away allocations. It’s a remarkable turnaround. We have a huge catchment area, probably ~1m people, and no doubt one of the reasons Gamechanger bought the club. Places like the North West are saturated with league teams so there’s only so much potential.

The saddest thing is we’ve probably lost a lot of potential fans over the Evans era. Growing up in Essex, Ipswich was the natural team to support but after years of mediocrity it’s now West Ham (though granted a lot of those are people that have moved out from east London, and despite supporting the team don’t have anything good to say about London).

Speaking of Essex, Southend took 1200 fans (their full allocation) to Oxford City on Saturday. Impressive.
Ground Capacity on 13:57 - Feb 19 with 2812 viewsChurchman

TownTV is optional. It is no more fleecing people than selling football programmes in the 1960s. I’ve really no idea what Towntv has to do with this thread anyway. Perhaps, with your in depth knowledge of all things miserable, you could enlighten me?

Actually, on second thoughts please don’t.
Ground Capacity on 14:34 - Feb 19 with 2725 viewsjaykay

some tin pot club up the road have played 2 more games at home than us. the total amount attendance for that club is just under 8000 more than us .so after we played those 2 extra home games ,it will be nearly 50000 more supporters more than that small club

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Ground Capacity on 16:00 - Feb 19 with 2640 viewsyoda

Ground Capacity on 14:34 - Feb 19 by jaykay

some tin pot club up the road have played 2 more games at home than us. the total amount attendance for that club is just under 8000 more than us .so after we played those 2 extra home games ,it will be nearly 50000 more supporters more than that small club

And while we have been getting 25 - 27,000 for years you have been lucky to get 15,000
Ground Capacity on 16:02 - Feb 19 with 2632 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Ground Capacity on 16:00 - Feb 19 by yoda

And while we have been getting 25 - 27,000 for years you have been lucky to get 15,000

So you want to talk about the past now - got it.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Ground Capacity on 16:37 - Feb 19 with 2558 viewsChurchman

Here are the stats for Ipswich and Norwich:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/67

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/norwich-city/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/11

The average attendance for Norwich has been excellent for 20 years. Interesting that in recent times they've held up better in the Championship than PL. Maybe that's a reflection of how boring uncompetitive PL football is.

ITFCs attendances have rocketed in recent years, but prior to that actually held up pretty well during dementor Evans disastrous tenure when for much of it the football was dire and the club rotten. Lucky to get 15k? We certainly were in the late 80s and mid 90s, but not in recent years.
Ground Capacity on 17:11 - Feb 19 with 2477 viewsyoda

Ground Capacity on 16:37 - Feb 19 by Churchman

Here are the stats for Ipswich and Norwich:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/67

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/norwich-city/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/11

The average attendance for Norwich has been excellent for 20 years. Interesting that in recent times they've held up better in the Championship than PL. Maybe that's a reflection of how boring uncompetitive PL football is.

ITFCs attendances have rocketed in recent years, but prior to that actually held up pretty well during dementor Evans disastrous tenure when for much of it the football was dire and the club rotten. Lucky to get 15k? We certainly were in the late 80s and mid 90s, but not in recent years.

Those premier league figures are clearly wrong pretty sure it would be around 27,000
Ground Capacity on 17:19 - Feb 19 with 2449 viewsGeoffSentence

Ground Capacity on 17:11 - Feb 19 by yoda

Those premier league figures are clearly wrong pretty sure it would be around 27,000

19/20 was Covid affected so the figures are probably based on total attendance/games but some games had no crowd. The rest of them were about 27K.

21/22 There seem to be 3 games where they don't have attendance numbers, and that will affect the average. The rest of the games were about 27K again.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ground Capacity on 17:45 - Feb 19 with 2396 viewsOsmansCleanSheet

It would be interesting to see what your attendances would be like if you were to stagnate in the Championship for a few years. There have been plenty of empty seats at Carrot Road this season, particularly when you were further away from the playoff positions.
Ground Capacity on 19:36 - Feb 19 with 2230 viewsChurchman

Ground Capacity on 17:11 - Feb 19 by yoda

Regardless, your attendances have fluctuated over the decades like everyone else’s including worlds best supported in the universe, loyal beyond sky reason Newcastle whose crowd against us in 1991 when we had a good side was 16300.
Ground Capacity on 20:40 - Feb 19 with 2115 viewsbluejacko

Well well that’s history! Didn’t think that counted up there?
Ground Capacity on 04:47 - Feb 20 with 1843 viewspowinswitch

Ground Capacity on 12:43 - Feb 19 by Clapham_Junction

How things change - looking at previous years, in 2017/18 we had the lowest ground filled percentage in the Championship (just 54%)

I don’t think you got the memo. There was a saint who was managing us then. No way did people find his football so dull and boring that they didn’t come to venerate him.
Ground Capacity on 08:47 - Feb 20 with 1635 viewsArchiRob

What are Scum doing showing old football matches for money. That my closet canary is sucking money from its supporters.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024