Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or 10:40 - Feb 23 with 2481 viewsEuropablue

is he only competing with Burgess?

Edmundson played very well in place of Burgess, but the defence has a much better shape with Burgess in that position.
Would Edmundson playing alongside Burgess work as an alternative for Woolfenden? I am pretty sure that they played together for a few matches under PC.
Edmundson seems very much on form, whereas Woolfenden seems out of form, maybe as a result of playing many more matches than the other centre backs this season.
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 10:41 - Feb 23 with 2142 viewsStokieBlue

Fridge would probably be a lot better in Wolf's position given he's right footed but Wolf is clearly the first choice and will rightly remain so.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 10:43 - Feb 23 with 2133 viewssmithy69

I don’t feel Edmundson gives us the opportunities that Woolf does by holding into the ball. He is more composed and therefore creates time and space that others don’t. He’s still learning but I think it’s clear that MCK ideal 2 is burgess on left and woolfy on right.

The Fridge has done excellent when played though. Just don’t think he will ever be McKenna’s 1st choice due to distribution and composure on the ball

I can see fridge playing a part though in tough, scrappy away games perhaps? When we will be very much on the back foot
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 10:44 - Feb 23 with 2123 viewsMookamoo

That is an option although Woolfenden has been very very good despite a few recent moments.

If you were to do that, Woolfenden could fill in at RB if Clarke is out and Tuanzebe struggles
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 10:55 - Feb 23 with 2074 viewsEuropablue

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 10:43 - Feb 23 by smithy69

I don’t feel Edmundson gives us the opportunities that Woolf does by holding into the ball. He is more composed and therefore creates time and space that others don’t. He’s still learning but I think it’s clear that MCK ideal 2 is burgess on left and woolfy on right.

The Fridge has done excellent when played though. Just don’t think he will ever be McKenna’s 1st choice due to distribution and composure on the ball

I can see fridge playing a part though in tough, scrappy away games perhaps? When we will be very much on the back foot

It's funny isn't it? Woolfenden is not the best defender, but he plays more for his attacking ability. Hopefully Woolfy can work on his one on ones and headers. I am biased towards our homegrown players, so I don't want to be too negative about him, but on the other hand I don't want to give him a free pass.
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 10:55 - Feb 23 with 2072 viewsClutch

It Clarke doesn't play I'd prefer to see Wolf out on the right and Fridge in the right central position.
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 11:12 - Feb 23 with 1989 viewspointofblue

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 10:55 - Feb 23 by Europablue

It's funny isn't it? Woolfenden is not the best defender, but he plays more for his attacking ability. Hopefully Woolfy can work on his one on ones and headers. I am biased towards our homegrown players, so I don't want to be too negative about him, but on the other hand I don't want to give him a free pass.

I think the ability is there with his one on one's - it's more he seems to get caught in two minds whether to just clear the ball or try and put himself in the best position to recycle and attack. It's the judgement he needs to work on.

Heading wise, I don't think he's too bad. Yes, he struggled on Tuesday but so did the entire back line.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 11:15 - Feb 23 with 1970 viewsNthQldITFC

Woolfenden has been very good overall. Excellent at baiting the trap and very few mistakes in that aspect of his game. One or two problems with one on ones, but overall he's been very good. Edmundson might be better in one on ones but not so good at the crucial baiting of the opposition. Of course he could play in that position, and playwell, that's his position of choice, but we'd reduce our ability to pull the opposition out of shape and spring our attacks.

Woolfy could play right hand side of a three, or as a deep lying right back in a traditional 4-4-2 etc., but he doesn't have the pace (or stamina?) to play like Clarke, Williams or (I think) Tuanzebe can - up and down, over- and under-laps. It would fk our system up to start playing Woolfy at 'right back'.

Burgess has been pretty much rock solid, Davis almost as much, Woolfy and Clarke not quite so solid - but it's the way we play, we take chances even early on in games and the fact that we're sitting in third amongst the ex-PL elite, having totally bypassed the entire Championship set, is testament to the way we play and the risks we take.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: When you vacuum your bookshelves, do you?

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 11:18 - Feb 23 with 1936 viewsNthQldITFC

I agree with that, but bear in mind also the improvement McK has made to Burgess's game and apply that to Edmundson in terms of giving him some of Woolfy's superpowers, and we could have another top quality option there. He's not far off it.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: When you vacuum your bookshelves, do you?

Login to get fewer ads

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 12:29 - Feb 23 with 1748 viewsGarv

Yes, but not as well.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 12:39 - Feb 23 with 1698 viewstextbackup

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 10:55 - Feb 23 by Clutch

It Clarke doesn't play I'd prefer to see Wolf out on the right and Fridge in the right central position.

Wolf is not built to play RB!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 12:50 - Feb 23 with 1634 viewsSimonds92

Fridge is really underrated on the ball. For someone who plays on the wrong side as well he's very very good. Burgess has come in and results have improved but lets not forget there's also been a drop off in the standard of opposition. Edmundson was one of our top 3 performers when Burgess was out. For me they're both better defenders than Woolfenden and I'd like to see them have a run of games together. What we don't need in this run-in is basic errors, which we have seen from Woolfenden against West Brom and Rotherham in recent weeks.
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:03 - Feb 23 with 1442 viewsEuropablue

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 12:50 - Feb 23 by Simonds92

Fridge is really underrated on the ball. For someone who plays on the wrong side as well he's very very good. Burgess has come in and results have improved but lets not forget there's also been a drop off in the standard of opposition. Edmundson was one of our top 3 performers when Burgess was out. For me they're both better defenders than Woolfenden and I'd like to see them have a run of games together. What we don't need in this run-in is basic errors, which we have seen from Woolfenden against West Brom and Rotherham in recent weeks.

I agree. Edmundson played really well, but the balance of the team was not great. We look better with Burgess centre left. If I were in charge I'd put Edmunson in for Woolfenden, if nothing else to demonstrate that standards need to be kept high. Anyway, I don't see training and I haven't managed Ipswich to promotion from League One and challenging for automatic promotion to the Premier League, so or course I will defer to KM's judgement.
You'd imagine that this summer centre backs will be high on the list of priority signings especially if we get promoted.
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:15 - Feb 23 with 1408 viewspointofblue

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 12:50 - Feb 23 by Simonds92

There was this dislike of Woolfenden from Cook's days, or possibly even Lambert's. It seems to have lingered.

ETA - Clarke was more to blame for Tuesday. If we're saying he put in a poor performance overall then fine, but the entire back four did. It just feels like he's being used as a scapegoat for an issue which runs deeper.
[Post edited 23 Feb 15:19]

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:30 - Feb 23 with 1368 viewsMookamoo

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:03 - Feb 23 by Europablue

I agree. Edmundson played really well, but the balance of the team was not great. We look better with Burgess centre left. If I were in charge I'd put Edmunson in for Woolfenden, if nothing else to demonstrate that standards need to be kept high. Anyway, I don't see training and I haven't managed Ipswich to promotion from League One and challenging for automatic promotion to the Premier League, so or course I will defer to KM's judgement.
You'd imagine that this summer centre backs will be high on the list of priority signings especially if we get promoted.

Burgess' ball playing has improved a lot. That ball to Davis at Swansea was sweet.

Yes he has always been solid, but there is much more to his game now
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:38 - Feb 23 with 1351 viewsEuropablue

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:15 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

There was this dislike of Woolfenden from Cook's days, or possibly even Lambert's. It seems to have lingered.

ETA - Clarke was more to blame for Tuesday. If we're saying he put in a poor performance overall then fine, but the entire back four did. It just feels like he's being used as a scapegoat for an issue which runs deeper.
[Post edited 23 Feb 15:19]

The reason people dislike Woolfenden is because he looks casual, also he comes across as very quiet. Whether that has continued from Cook's or Lambert's days is irrelevant.
He's not a traditional hard-tackling no-nonsense defender. He isn't an excitable and bubbly character like Harry Clarke.
Anyway, it's not a popularity contest, it's about who can do the job best.
On the first goal we let in against Rotherham, it's almost entirely Woolfenden's fault. He lost the initial header, then he moves towards Clarke's man getting in the way of Clarke, but didn't make a challenge and leaves his man open who scores.
He was entirely at fault for West Brom's first goal.
We need to do something to cut out these early goals, and putting Edmundson in may do the trick.
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:45 - Feb 23 with 1323 viewspointofblue

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:38 - Feb 23 by Europablue

The reason people dislike Woolfenden is because he looks casual, also he comes across as very quiet. Whether that has continued from Cook's or Lambert's days is irrelevant.
He's not a traditional hard-tackling no-nonsense defender. He isn't an excitable and bubbly character like Harry Clarke.
Anyway, it's not a popularity contest, it's about who can do the job best.
On the first goal we let in against Rotherham, it's almost entirely Woolfenden's fault. He lost the initial header, then he moves towards Clarke's man getting in the way of Clarke, but didn't make a challenge and leaves his man open who scores.
He was entirely at fault for West Brom's first goal.
We need to do something to cut out these early goals, and putting Edmundson in may do the trick.

Clarke was in control of the situation, with or without Woolfenden's presence. He could have cleared it - he failed to do so.

It almost sounds like, because Woolfenden doesn't leap around like an excitable puppy (not intended to come across as a criticism of Clarke) he gets the blame for most of Town's defensive issues.

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:49 - Feb 23 with 1311 viewsHalifaxBlue

Woolf is the best of the CBs in my opinion, and is statistically one of the better CBs in the division. People underrate him because he's been here and been so steady for so long. I see no reason to drop him.

Burgess and Woolf are our clear best pairing and should be given the trust to be allowed to get on with it. Edmundson is a good deputy but we shouldn't change until we can upgrade IMO.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:58 - Feb 23 with 1286 viewsKieran_Knows

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:49 - Feb 23 by HalifaxBlue

Woolf is the best of the CBs in my opinion, and is statistically one of the better CBs in the division. People underrate him because he's been here and been so steady for so long. I see no reason to drop him.

Burgess and Woolf are our clear best pairing and should be given the trust to be allowed to get on with it. Edmundson is a good deputy but we shouldn't change until we can upgrade IMO.

This. Absolutely baffling the level of stick that Woolfenden gets ... and I think he's getting tired of it as well.

Almost every game now at PR, if we play it out from the back and the crowd gets on (Hladky's, his, Burgess', Clarke's) the player back, he always makes a gesture back to them to say they've got it under control.

His insta post last week, plus his reaction when running towards the North Stand to celebrate Hutchinson's goal on Tuesday night probably tell you where he's at with it all as well.

Best CB with ease and starts every game he's available for.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 16:05 - Feb 23 with 1264 viewsEuropablue

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 15:45 - Feb 23 by pointofblue

Clarke was in control of the situation, with or without Woolfenden's presence. He could have cleared it - he failed to do so.

It almost sounds like, because Woolfenden doesn't leap around like an excitable puppy (not intended to come across as a criticism of Clarke) he gets the blame for most of Town's defensive issues.

Clarke was in control until Woolfenden moved over into his space and caused the confusion. When a teammate comes across like that you are expecting him to make a tackle, otherwise he shouldn't be there and should stick with his man.
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 16:17 - Feb 23 with 1230 viewsNutkins_Return

Think he absolutely can. Woolf frustrates me sometimes not being aggressive/dominant enough without the ball but season as a whole has been excellent. Wouldn't drop him at the moment. Edmundson would do well in that position though. Tuanzebe of course might be considered ahead still for that role as that is clearly his best position as well.

Woolf, Davis and and Clarke all need to never do one of those 15 yard dink passes from deep in our own half that kept happening against Rotherham. Suicide against good teams.
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 16:18 - Feb 23 with 1224 viewspointofblue

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 16:05 - Feb 23 by Europablue

Clarke was in control until Woolfenden moved over into his space and caused the confusion. When a teammate comes across like that you are expecting him to make a tackle, otherwise he shouldn't be there and should stick with his man.

It was Clarke’s ball to deal with and always was. Again, I think it came down to them wanting to recycle the ball rather than just clear it for a throw in to Rotherham. Sometimes just clearing it is the better option.

Woolfenden wasn’t blameless for the goal, but Clarke shouldn’t get off scot free.

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 16:24 - Feb 23 with 1216 viewsitfcjoe

It's hard to see how Edmundson was in form when his last goal was at Preston and to be unkind could say 2 of the goals were directly his fault.

He could play there, but Woolf does the role so well it would be mad to change him - there is the talk of needing more aggression in his game etc but he has so much of the pitch to defend he has to stay calm and focussed. He doesn't have the line to help him out and his reading of the game is superb

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 16:34 - Feb 23 with 1180 viewspointofblue

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 16:24 - Feb 23 by itfcjoe

It's hard to see how Edmundson was in form when his last goal was at Preston and to be unkind could say 2 of the goals were directly his fault.

He could play there, but Woolf does the role so well it would be mad to change him - there is the talk of needing more aggression in his game etc but he has so much of the pitch to defend he has to stay calm and focussed. He doesn't have the line to help him out and his reading of the game is superb

Whilst I have been defending Woolfenden, I do get why there’s a bit of agitation towards him. Both the West Brom and Rotherham first goals were poor ones to concede and he was to blame for the former and had a hand in the latter. They could have cost us, and indeed did arguably cost us two points against West Brom.

He has so much in his favour, but does need to clean up the judgement calls. If he does, we have a multi-million pound player on our hands.

Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 16:34 - Feb 23 with 1181 viewsEuropablue

The first goal against Preston was a deflection off Edmunson's block. Maybe he could have angled his body better, but it was the mistake before that that was key, and the second goal he played the offside trap perfectly, but the linesman forgot his glasses. So it would be very uncharitable to suggest that he was directly at fault for two goals.
Could Edmundson play in Woolfenden's position, or on 16:34 - Feb 23 with 1179 viewsHerbivore

Indeed. I think not everyone sees just how much he offers and some tend to only focus on the errors, of which there have been only a handful all season in a role that's very hard to play.

Poll: Latest TWTD opinion poll - who are you voting for?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024