Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Davis for £20m+ 13:45 - Feb 28 with 6459 viewsElderGrizzly

Newcastle and West Ham circling and it would certainly fund our next squad 'refresh' if we don't go up if the figures are £20m+. Especially with FFP to consider.

That was always the plan with Ashton/new owners too? Identify good young players with potential, develop them and move on to fund the ongoing growth of the club?

I'd suggest that the market.... on 16:41 - Feb 28 with 1746 viewsBloots

Seems an inevitability really.... on 16:19 - Feb 28 by bournemouthblue

What makes you say that?

If the market rate is £15 million, which it could quite easily be, I'd expect that as a bare minimum frankly

£8 - 10 million would be an absolute steal in the current market

....is actually softening and Prem clubs are unwilling to pay the money they were paying previously.

The issues that Everton and Forest are facing has given clubs a jolt and they are going to be thinking long and hard about overpaying for players.

Davis is a more than decent LB, but he's not particularly young, he isn't particularly versatile, he doesn't score many goals and (in my opinion) he isn't the best defensively.

If we get over £10m for him I'd be happy.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Davis for £20m+ on 16:44 - Feb 28 with 1728 viewsChurchman

Davis for £20m+ on 16:29 - Feb 28 by Mookamoo

Of all the clubs to go to, I think Newcastle pishes me off the most. Not forgiven them to swiping Ambrose for peanuts.

He has to be worth in excess of £15 million given his record over the last couple of seasons. Good business. Invest and move on.

Back in the day, clubs like Charlton and Newcastle robbed us blind for players like Holland and Ambrose because they knew we had to sell. Evans was robbed blind because he was incompetent and his eyes lit up at any sort of offer. We are no longer in those waters.

If the player wants to go to his home town club, fair enough. But he is under contract and is the best full back in the division. Name one better. £10m is change PL clubs can find down the back of the sofa. £20m has to come from the PL club’s wallet but it’s the equivalent to a tank of petrol to the likes of Newcastle.

Of course they’ll try and rob lil old Ipswich blind. I would in their shoes. That’s how it is. Fortunately, if the Bristol City Webster deal is anything to go by Ashton will get full value for the player, especially if a percentage has to go to Dirty Leeds. Why not ask £40m, accept £30m? Coventry got £37m for two players last summer and £30m for the best full back in the championship doesn’t seem unreasonable. If they don’t want to pay it, bye.

I’d like him to stay, personally. He’s a terrific player.
Davis for £20m+ on 16:57 - Feb 28 with 1701 viewsMookamoo

Davis for £20m+ on 16:44 - Feb 28 by Churchman

Back in the day, clubs like Charlton and Newcastle robbed us blind for players like Holland and Ambrose because they knew we had to sell. Evans was robbed blind because he was incompetent and his eyes lit up at any sort of offer. We are no longer in those waters.

If the player wants to go to his home town club, fair enough. But he is under contract and is the best full back in the division. Name one better. £10m is change PL clubs can find down the back of the sofa. £20m has to come from the PL club’s wallet but it’s the equivalent to a tank of petrol to the likes of Newcastle.

Of course they’ll try and rob lil old Ipswich blind. I would in their shoes. That’s how it is. Fortunately, if the Bristol City Webster deal is anything to go by Ashton will get full value for the player, especially if a percentage has to go to Dirty Leeds. Why not ask £40m, accept £30m? Coventry got £37m for two players last summer and £30m for the best full back in the championship doesn’t seem unreasonable. If they don’t want to pay it, bye.

Newcastle will have the £20 million, no problem. The issue is if they're able to spend that amount without any consequence. Not sure they have a whole load of wiggle room at the moment given what little transfer business they did in January.

Depends I suppose if they unload someone like Bruno Whatshisface for a shed load. Not sure who there is who will buy him though.

Davis would be a great signing for anyone, but I wonder if he is a little too boring for what Newcastle are trying to do. I would imagine they are after a more experienced 'name'.
Davis for £20m+ on 17:13 - Feb 28 with 1683 viewsChurchman

Davis for £20m+ on 16:57 - Feb 28 by Mookamoo

Newcastle will have the £20 million, no problem. The issue is if they're able to spend that amount without any consequence. Not sure they have a whole load of wiggle room at the moment given what little transfer business they did in January.

Depends I suppose if they unload someone like Bruno Whatshisface for a shed load. Not sure who there is who will buy him though.

Davis would be a great signing for anyone, but I wonder if he is a little too boring for what Newcastle are trying to do. I would imagine they are after a more experienced 'name'.

Whatever the consequences of their spending is their problem, unless we want to be their little feeder club. I couldn’t care a less what their problems are. Basically, set the fee, they negotiate and we agree to what we think is a fair and reasonable price.

Your point about wondering if he’d be a bit too boring for them is interesting, you could well be right. I do wonder what’s happening with them and suspect Howe will get the figurative chop at seasons end. If that were to happen and Carlos Bignoisola from somewhere exotic was wheeled in I suspect any interest in U.K. players would cease.
Hopefully not, but.... on 17:20 - Feb 28 with 1664 viewslizzibee

Hopefully not, but.... on 14:14 - Feb 28 by Bloots

....it's human nature to always think your own team's players are more valuable than they actually are.

If we get over £10m for him, (without addons etc) then I think we will have done well personally.

I think he would go for more than that. Look what Adam Wharton went for to Palace and Leif is rated higher than him in terms of assists etc
Hopefully not, but.... on 17:35 - Feb 28 with 1632 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Hopefully not, but.... on 14:14 - Feb 28 by Bloots

....it's human nature to always think your own team's players are more valuable than they actually are.

If we get over £10m for him, (without addons etc) then I think we will have done well personally.

A player, who is a better LB than Mings was, goes for the exact same money years later?

Sorry Bloots, but if he goes for anywhere near what you're suggesting there will be a riot. He'll go for £15-20m plus add ons (and a friendly)

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Hopefully not, but.... on 17:41 - Feb 28 with 1612 views_clive_baker_

Hopefully not, but.... on 17:35 - Feb 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

A player, who is a better LB than Mings was, goes for the exact same money years later?

Sorry Bloots, but if he goes for anywhere near what you're suggesting there will be a riot. He'll go for £15-20m plus add ons (and a friendly)

I think I would rather take less money than see us negotiate a friendly with West Ham as a part of any transfer deal. We're not AFC Sudbury.
Davis for £20m+ on 17:55 - Feb 28 with 1582 viewsleftback

4 years ago, Newcastle paid £15 million for an up and coming leftback from that lot up the road, the way transfer fees have gone £20 million is the least we can expect to get for him
Login to get fewer ads

Hopefully not, but.... on 18:07 - Feb 28 with 1566 viewsSharkey

Hopefully not, but.... on 17:20 - Feb 28 by lizzibee

I think he would go for more than that. Look what Adam Wharton went for to Palace and Leif is rated higher than him in terms of assists etc

But Adam Wharton has only just turned 20 and Davis is 24. Palace will have paid that with one eye on what he'll be worth in four years' time.
Davis for £20m+ on 20:29 - Feb 28 with 1495 viewsPioneerBlue

It is our duty as supporters to ramp the price as much as possible publically to help raise the awareness and desensitise potential buyers to a number that looks like £30m please thank you.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Davis for £20m+ on 22:20 - Feb 28 with 1459 viewstractordownsouth

Davis for £20m+ on 14:00 - Feb 28 by itfcsuth

He'll be valued around £20m, that is for sure - would likely end and settle at £15m or so.

You simply couldn't turn that down if we weren't promoted.

It's the process of successful recruitment, Brighton have been doing it for a long time.

You go and find the 'next Leif Davis'.

Harrison Burrows

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Davis for £20m+ on 22:22 - Feb 28 with 1450 viewstractordownsouth

Davis for £20m+ on 16:44 - Feb 28 by Churchman

No way he goes for £30m. It'll be 15, 20 absolute tops.

Davis for £20m+ on 22:34 - Feb 28 with 1413 viewsbournemouthblue

Davis for £20m+ on 22:22 - Feb 28 by tractordownsouth

I'd agree £30 million is over the top but it is a number I have heard mooted from people linked with the club also so who knows

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Davis for £20m+ on 22:37 - Feb 28 with 1405 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Davis for £20m+ on 22:34 - Feb 28 by bournemouthblue

I'd agree £30 million is over the top but it is a number I have heard mooted from people linked with the club also so who knows

We’d get something towards that with add ons.
Davis for £20m+ on 22:41 - Feb 28 with 1397 viewstractordownsouth

Davis for £20m+ on 22:34 - Feb 28 by bournemouthblue

I think we'll ultimately settle for a figure in the mid to high teens. The shortage of left-backs definitely gives us more leverage than we otherwise would.

As an aside, the thought of selling Davis if we stay down doesn't worry me as much as it would other players. He's excellent but we set up in a way that maximises his output. The replacement will be a drop off initially but the attacking license our left back gets in the build up will give a decent opportunity for whoever comes in to rack up 8-10 assists at least.

Davis for £20m+ on 07:18 - Feb 29 with 1269 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Want to bet? The all in will be close to £30m.
Hopefully not, but.... on 08:41 - Feb 29 with 1218 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Hopefully not, but.... on 17:20 - Feb 28 by lizzibee

Leif is not rated higher than Adam Wharton.

What works in Leifs and our favour is that Left back is a weak position in this country in general. So most clubs need one.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Davis for £20m+ on 11:01 - Feb 29 with 1143 viewsBluefields

Davis for £20m+ on 15:43 - Feb 28 by Jrm_72

£15m for Davis to Newcastle would have some poetry about it, same price they paid for Shearer who came from the same Boys Club as Leif (Wallsend I think?)

Think he played for Cramlington Juniors(Shearer also played for them) with my cousins Son.
When he signed I asked him his thoughts, "surprised hes made it as far as he has but he can certainly cross a ball". He got that right!!
Davis for £20m+ on 11:27 - Feb 29 with 1110 viewshadleighboyblue

Davis for £20m+ on 15:00 - Feb 28 by _clive_baker_

You would think we'll certainly be able to command £15m+ for him. I don't want to see him go, I want us to go up and for him to tear it up in the PL with us, but as you rightly say it would give us some licence to invest in 2 or 3 players of quality. Much like Dyer leaving did under Burley.

It's in our favour that there's a number of clubs linked to him , including the likes of Newcastle who will pay good money .

If it funds a rebuild it can help strengthen us overall ,but it will also rely on us keeping the manager , his coaching staff and whoever in the recruitment team is finding us these gems.

What a terrific find Davis has been and hopefully Al Hamedi is going to be a similar find
Davis for £20m+ on 11:34 - Feb 29 with 1104 viewsjayessess

Putting aside the possibility that the market craters in the Premier League this Summer because of PSR stuff.

If the market holds up, I think in context £20m is probably there or thereabouts. The Championship is one of the Top Ten leagues in the world, he's the joint-leading assist maker in that league and if he picks up 3 assists in the next 12 games, he'll break Kieran Trippier's record for most assists by a defender in that division (and Trippier was a similar age at the time). No other full back is anywhere near him. These are exceptional numbers not just good ones.

Add in the premium on left footed players (they're 10% of the population, but often 36% of a football team) and that he hits a brief that's currently tactically very fashionable - the playmaking full back who can drop into midfield - then you see he's a very rare thing indeed.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Davis for £20m+ on 11:43 - Feb 29 with 1085 viewsLeoMuff

Davis for £20m+ on 11:34 - Feb 29 by jayessess

Putting aside the possibility that the market craters in the Premier League this Summer because of PSR stuff.

If the market holds up, I think in context £20m is probably there or thereabouts. The Championship is one of the Top Ten leagues in the world, he's the joint-leading assist maker in that league and if he picks up 3 assists in the next 12 games, he'll break Kieran Trippier's record for most assists by a defender in that division (and Trippier was a similar age at the time). No other full back is anywhere near him. These are exceptional numbers not just good ones.

Add in the premium on left footed players (they're 10% of the population, but often 36% of a football team) and that he hits a brief that's currently tactically very fashionable - the playmaking full back who can drop into midfield - then you see he's a very rare thing indeed.

And English on top of that

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Davis for £20m+ on 11:44 - Feb 29 with 1084 viewsOldFart71

If we could achieve a similar outcome as to what happened with Cresswell where we got in a replacement then why not. But if we are to achieve Premier League status which is worth more than the 10,15 or 20 million we would get for Davis then surely we need to hang on to him. Looking at our squad players like Morsy and Loungo how long will they last. Then we have three of our current squad in Moore, Sarmiento and Hutchinson all of whom are on loan and only possibly Moore made available to sign on. I also feel that our central defence would be lacking in the Prem.
Davis for £20m+ on 11:45 - Feb 29 with 1083 viewsChurchman

Why not £30m? If they want him, pay the price. We don’t want or have to sell (if we do don’t tell them). How many other full backs like him are out there? Assists, fitness, attitude, mobility etc etc. There’s little risk signing him compared to many these clubs sign for astronomical sums and not all of them succeed.

Lil old Ipswich don’t need to be mugged off by PL clubs for whom £30m is no money. Make them pay what he’s worth.
Davis for £20m+ on 12:58 - Feb 29 with 1026 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Davis for £20m+ on 11:45 - Feb 29 by Churchman

Why not £30m? If they want him, pay the price. We don’t want or have to sell (if we do don’t tell them). How many other full backs like him are out there? Assists, fitness, attitude, mobility etc etc. There’s little risk signing him compared to many these clubs sign for astronomical sums and not all of them succeed.

Lil old Ipswich don’t need to be mugged off by PL clubs for whom £30m is no money. Make them pay what he’s worth.

We aren't going to sell him for 30 million. Milos Kerkez who was one of the most highly rated left backs in Europe was 15.5 to Bournemouth. Leif wont go for double that because teams will then just look abroad.

But the fact he is English will obviously bump up the fee. Along with the fact we aren't mugs anymore. I would imagine 15-20 million. which would be a very good fee we would likely accept.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Davis for £20m+ on 14:16 - Feb 29 with 966 viewsChurchman

Davis for £20m+ on 12:58 - Feb 29 by TRUE_BLUE123

We aren't going to sell him for 30 million. Milos Kerkez who was one of the most highly rated left backs in Europe was 15.5 to Bournemouth. Leif wont go for double that because teams will then just look abroad.

But the fact he is English will obviously bump up the fee. Along with the fact we aren't mugs anymore. I would imagine 15-20 million. which would be a very good fee we would likely accept.

Newcastle, with all their millions would rightly regard £15-£20m as a snip. A bargain. A bit of loose change barely worth worrying about. It is for them.

All I’m saying is that the days of being grateful for crumbs from Master’s table, Evans and Sheepshanks style, ought to be behind us. If it’s prudent for us to sell to bridge FFP and the player wants it, fine. But sell for what he’s worth, not to give Newcastle a chuckle while they bring in Carlos Uberplayer from Racing Athletico for £50m plus.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024