Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man 00:20 - May 8 with 1876 viewsAnsty

But if you look at these 2 words..
Johnathan Douglas.
Just how far have we come?³
[Post edited 8 May 18:33]
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 07:50 - May 8 with 1530 viewsSteve_M

This isn't the same club as the one that McCarthy managed, let alone the sh1tshow that followed after he left.

I'm not sure it's fair to pick out individual players, it certainly isn't classsy, when the club were operating in a totally different place. Not the players who did their best anyway.

and as good as the off-pitch structure is now, let alone McK, being able to spend a lot more money helps a lot too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 07:54 - May 8 with 1498 viewsBlueySwede

Well, who knows what McKenna could have done with him?
I think it is unfair to have a go at youngsters during those "awful years". They needed help in terms of investing in more senior players. Under Evans they really never had a chance, the club was in free fall and it showed both on and off the pitch.
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 07:56 - May 8 with 1486 viewsroysboys

Thoroughly disrespectful post. I watched Myles in mumerous matches and he always gave his best. Why pick on one player? No disrespect to you of course!

Blog: Pig Tales - An Old Story Brought Bang Up to Date

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:01 - May 8 with 1431 viewsBloomBlue

Kenlock, like all the other players at that time, didn't have a McKenna as coach, and all players need good coaching to help them improve. Do you think Hutchinson's progression this season would be at the same level if Lambert was still manager?

The one thing I will say about Kenlock is that he always gave his all, and there have been plenty of players at Town who were better players that him but didn't give their all every game.
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:01 - May 8 with 1449 viewsRobTheMonk

Bit odd why you've picked Kenlock when there was an abundance of poor signings, sicknotes and people just wanting their pay cheque.
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:01 - May 8 with 1447 viewsChurchman

Bit harsh on the player.

Reflecting on where we are from where were really begins and ends with how the club is run from the top down. For me, that’s where the meaningful comparison is.
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:03 - May 8 with 1428 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Deary me.

-64 Forum Votes
+17 News Votes

Tells its own story.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:31 - May 8 with 1329 viewsgordon

This is quite a misinformed, ignorant post in various ways - Kenlock always did his best for the club, and he would have been a McKenna sort of player in the sense that McKenna would have appreciated his attitude, and Kenlock would have benefitted a lot from the right coaching at a younger age, he would have given absolutely everything to ITFC, and if things had been a bit different could easily have performed a specific role off the bench like Jackson does. It's the ones like Bullard, Chopra, Norwood etc in terms of attitude that we'd never see again under McKenna.

And in terms of playing style it's the really one-paced midfielders like Judge, Douglas, Bru etc who couldn't press a daisy who McKenna wouldn't fancy.
[Post edited 8 May 8:34]
Login to get fewer ads

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:33 - May 8 with 1297 viewsRobTheMonk

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:31 - May 8 by gordon

This is quite a misinformed, ignorant post in various ways - Kenlock always did his best for the club, and he would have been a McKenna sort of player in the sense that McKenna would have appreciated his attitude, and Kenlock would have benefitted a lot from the right coaching at a younger age, he would have given absolutely everything to ITFC, and if things had been a bit different could easily have performed a specific role off the bench like Jackson does. It's the ones like Bullard, Chopra, Norwood etc in terms of attitude that we'd never see again under McKenna.

And in terms of playing style it's the really one-paced midfielders like Judge, Douglas, Bru etc who couldn't press a daisy who McKenna wouldn't fancy.

I think perhaps a little harsh on Hyam. He certainly had the energy to press pre-injury.
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:34 - May 8 with 1290 viewsgordon

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:33 - May 8 by RobTheMonk

I think perhaps a little harsh on Hyam. He certainly had the energy to press pre-injury.

That's true, yes, have edited.
[Post edited 8 May 8:35]
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:37 - May 8 with 1258 viewsSwailsey

Harsh on Bru too - played a really key role in our playoff season. Was a very cultured, but lightweight footballer. Some of the linkup play with him and McGoldrick was fantastic.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:38 - May 8 with 1252 viewsStewart27

Add Skuse to that list too.
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:44 - May 8 with 1216 viewsgordon

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:37 - May 8 by Swailsey

Harsh on Bru too - played a really key role in our playoff season. Was a very cultured, but lightweight footballer. Some of the linkup play with him and McGoldrick was fantastic.

Bru did have lots of qualities, just don't think he'd be a McKenna type midfielder.
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:51 - May 8 with 1172 viewsSwailsey

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 08:44 - May 8 by gordon

Bru did have lots of qualities, just don't think he'd be a McKenna type midfielder.

Actually, that’s probably fair

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 09:30 - May 8 with 1050 viewstractorshark

This is the modern day Graham Harbey post.
They’re not dreadful footballers, you don’t get to that level if you can’t play.
It was just bleak times for the club.
I’ve seen worse footballers than Harbey play for our club and worse managers than John Duncan.
But both Duncan and Harbey were there when the club hit a new depth following an unbelievable period of success and therefore are used as a yardstick for mediocrity.
Kenlock wasn’t Championship quality but there were quite a few like that and it carried on into League One.
Thankfully we now have a much better squad, an excellent manager and a hierarchy and ownership who know what they’re doing.
But we’re not Arsenal, we’re not Manchester United, we all know the wheel will turn again and there will be another Harbey or Kenlock down the line.
In the meantime I’ll make the most of McKenna, Morsy etc and cherish the memories we are enjoying right now in the same way I look misty eyed at Butcher, Wark, Thijssen, Muhren, Kiwomya, Dozzell, Holland and Stewart.
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 09:40 - May 8 with 977 viewsKeno

Phil - can this be thread be deleted

it not really fair on the player in question and not really needed is it

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 10:18 - May 8 with 852 viewswkj

I think Myles was in the wrong place for his development. I know it is easy to be a downer on Mick's time here, but I feel he never got a good run to compliment his development as a footballer.

He played 85 games for us between 2015 and 2022. The lad should have been loaned out for development during that time instead of playing second fiddle for Town.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 10:32 - May 8 with 794 viewspointofblue

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 09:30 - May 8 by tractorshark

This is the modern day Graham Harbey post.
They’re not dreadful footballers, you don’t get to that level if you can’t play.
It was just bleak times for the club.
I’ve seen worse footballers than Harbey play for our club and worse managers than John Duncan.
But both Duncan and Harbey were there when the club hit a new depth following an unbelievable period of success and therefore are used as a yardstick for mediocrity.
Kenlock wasn’t Championship quality but there were quite a few like that and it carried on into League One.
Thankfully we now have a much better squad, an excellent manager and a hierarchy and ownership who know what they’re doing.
But we’re not Arsenal, we’re not Manchester United, we all know the wheel will turn again and there will be another Harbey or Kenlock down the line.
In the meantime I’ll make the most of McKenna, Morsy etc and cherish the memories we are enjoying right now in the same way I look misty eyed at Butcher, Wark, Thijssen, Muhren, Kiwomya, Dozzell, Holland and Stewart.

I think Kenlock had the ability to become a Championship standard player - he just never received the right coaching to reach his ceiling. I certainly think he looked ok under Mick for the most part but McKenna would have helped him reach the next level. It doesn't help that he played in a position where we've had a few fan favourites across recent years, with the likes of Taricco, Cresswell, Mings (before the switch to CB) and, afterwards, Davis.

Same with Hyam, particularly pre-injury. I don't he returned to the same level afterwards but it was nice to see him on Town TV on Saturday.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 10:34 - May 8 with 778 viewsNutkins_Return

You can't start a post "no disrespect" and expect that to ok you being completely disrespectful. Of all the things you could use to illustrate a point this is really not ok. Remove or change your example. Let's not dig out someone who gave their all for the club and never let us down particularly.
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 10:39 - May 8 with 732 viewsGlory_Hunter

What's the poor guy ever done to you?
No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 10:42 - May 8 with 699 viewsfooters

What I want to know, that seemingly no one else does, is why is 'Just how far have we come?' cubed? What effect does this have on the question? Or is it just 'come?' that's cubed?
[Post edited 8 May 10:58]

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 10:52 - May 8 with 642 viewswkj

No disrespect to a thoroughly decent man on 10:42 - May 8 by footers

What I want to know, that seemingly no one else does, is why is 'Just how far have we come?' cubed? What effect does this have on the question? Or is it just 'come?' that's cubed?
[Post edited 8 May 10:58]

Either way, this post is a

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024