Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The most boring book you’ve ever read? 09:29 - Sep 17 with 6906 viewsRyorry

It’s ‘The Mill on the Floss’ (George Eliot) for me. Insomnia cure and useful doorstop though.




Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

2
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 12:27 - Sep 17 with 865 viewsCobboldCrusty

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 10:07 - Sep 17 by Guthrum

Jean Pul Sartre, "The Age Of Reason" - barely got beyond the first chapter.


this is worth persisting with
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 12:33 - Sep 17 with 863 viewsmellowblue

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 09:38 - Sep 17 by mrfixit426

Dune.

I love sci-fi and I love books, but that was a proper slog to get through.


I enjoyed the Dune books but then I am a sci-fi nerd. Read the first 4, the 4th was a bit naff so haven't bought the 5th and 6th yet.
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 12:35 - Sep 17 with 852 viewsleitrimblue

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 12:11 - Sep 17 by Steve_M

I'm not sure that I like Ulysses exactly but, having read it, I can see why it is so popular. It helps to understand that a) Joyce was taking the piss a lot and b) he has a dirty mind.

Admittedly, it took me 20 years to actually go back to it having given up about 10 pages in when I first tried in my mid-20s. It had annoyed me that I hadn't finished it so wanted to try again but there are bits that I just had to plough through.


I should try it again, I'm just not sure i have it in me.

Just noticed I have a downvote for my critique of Joyce's Ulysses on a football forum. May be a first, not sure why but im more than slightly proud of that
1
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:05 - Sep 17 with 815 viewsRyorry

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 11:16 - Sep 17 by PhilTWTD

Middlemarch to add to the George Eliot non-fan club.


24 hours ago I'd have agreed with you! But late last night I watched BBC4's repeat of its 1994 series dramatising the novel (because there was nothing else of much interest on while I was doing chores ...). Which is what sparked my OP.

Really brought it to life with the large number of characters, their developing lives and relationships, played by a stellar cast. Patrick Malahide in particular was superb in portraying the complex, sad, Casaubon. Continues next Weds eve I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:16 - Sep 17 with 804 viewsPhilTWTD

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:05 - Sep 17 by Ryorry

24 hours ago I'd have agreed with you! But late last night I watched BBC4's repeat of its 1994 series dramatising the novel (because there was nothing else of much interest on while I was doing chores ...). Which is what sparked my OP.

Really brought it to life with the large number of characters, their developing lives and relationships, played by a stellar cast. Patrick Malahide in particular was superb in portraying the complex, sad, Casaubon. Continues next Weds eve I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/


I have to confess it was sixth form when I tried to plough through it, so would probably be a different matter if I read it now.
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:20 - Sep 17 with 794 viewsleitrimblue

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:05 - Sep 17 by Ryorry

24 hours ago I'd have agreed with you! But late last night I watched BBC4's repeat of its 1994 series dramatising the novel (because there was nothing else of much interest on while I was doing chores ...). Which is what sparked my OP.

Really brought it to life with the large number of characters, their developing lives and relationships, played by a stellar cast. Patrick Malahide in particular was superb in portraying the complex, sad, Casaubon. Continues next Weds eve I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/


This is a top thread Ryorry, hard for anyone to fall out in this one.

You should start a weekly book thread. Favourite books, most read books etc
1
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:21 - Sep 17 with 794 viewsRyorry

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:16 - Sep 17 by PhilTWTD

I have to confess it was sixth form when I tried to plough through it, so would probably be a different matter if I read it now.


Good point - people's ages on first reading probably are crucial.

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:23 - Sep 17 with 783 viewsRyorry

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:20 - Sep 17 by leitrimblue

This is a top thread Ryorry, hard for anyone to fall out in this one.

You should start a weekly book thread. Favourite books, most read books etc


" ... hard for anyone to fall out in this one."

Just give it time

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

2
Login to get fewer ads

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:23 - Sep 17 with 776 viewsleitrimblue

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:23 - Sep 17 by Ryorry

" ... hard for anyone to fall out in this one."

Just give it time


0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:27 - Sep 17 with 772 viewsHugoagogo_Reborn

It's a toss up between:

The Mill on the Floss (didn't finish it)
The Great Gatsby (didn't finish it)
Tender Is The Night (did finish it but thought there must have been some pages missing as it just sort of ended without really going anywhere or tying up any loose ends)
Oh, and The Dubliners. Waste of paper, that
[Post edited 17 Sep 13:28]

Poll: Which Manchester team do you dislike the most?

0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:35 - Sep 17 with 752 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 12:35 - Sep 17 by leitrimblue

I should try it again, I'm just not sure i have it in me.

Just noticed I have a downvote for my critique of Joyce's Ulysses on a football forum. May be a first, not sure why but im more than slightly proud of that


If you struggle with Ulysses for heaven's sake stay clear of Finnegans Wake.


" riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend
of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to
Howth Castle and Environs.
Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passen-
core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy
isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: ......"

Poll: As we are indulging in pointless quesions. If my aunt had balls would she be ...

1
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 14:21 - Sep 17 with 721 viewsMattinLondon

Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín.

Without doubt the most boring book which I’ve ever read. Around 300 pages of mind numbing boredom - god knows why it was so critically acclaimed.

Oh, and whilst boring. The Commitments by Roddy Doyle had to be one of the most overrated books of all time.
[Post edited 17 Sep 14:29]
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 15:09 - Sep 17 with 665 viewsDubtractor

The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu.

Its the sequel to three body problem, a sci fi book that won loads of awards and genuinely had my brain racing on the ideas and concepts in it.

The Dark Forest was dull as ditch water though. Hundreds and hundreds of pages that achieved almost nothing is moving the narrative forward, but just indulging in philosophical nonsense. Am absolute slog.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 15:15 - Sep 17 with 661 viewsjontysnut

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

Generally anything Victorian with people wearing bonnets

Dickens is always a slog for me, as are Russian novels with 452 characters
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 15:16 - Sep 17 with 657 viewsDubtractor

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 12:33 - Sep 17 by mellowblue

I enjoyed the Dune books but then I am a sci-fi nerd. Read the first 4, the 4th was a bit naff so haven't bought the 5th and 6th yet.


God Emperor of Dune is tough going, isn't it?

The original is a classic of science fiction though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 15:17 - Sep 17 with 654 viewsDarkBrandon

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 11:44 - Sep 17 by Phantasm

The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway - admittedly at school some 20 years ago but truly turgid stuff.


Get in the sea
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 15:21 - Sep 17 with 645 viewsnoggin

Norwich City, Great European Nights.

1 bloody page.

Poll: Prediction for England v Norway

1
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 15:37 - Sep 17 with 624 viewsmellowblue

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 13:05 - Sep 17 by Ryorry

24 hours ago I'd have agreed with you! But late last night I watched BBC4's repeat of its 1994 series dramatising the novel (because there was nothing else of much interest on while I was doing chores ...). Which is what sparked my OP.

Really brought it to life with the large number of characters, their developing lives and relationships, played by a stellar cast. Patrick Malahide in particular was superb in portraying the complex, sad, Casaubon. Continues next Weds eve I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/


Fully revealing that the beeb have to go back to the 70s 80s 90s 00s for it's period drama. They used to excel at it, now it is all Netflix, dumbing it down.
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 16:08 - Sep 17 with 595 viewsbluester

Voodoo Histories by David Aaronovitch. Starts with an interesting (if flawed) premise then spends the rest of the book hammering it home repeatedly. Very jarring book if you've ever worked in government.
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 16:13 - Sep 17 with 577 viewsbluester

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 10:25 - Sep 17 by Steve_M

'Human Traces' by Sebastian Faulkes.

I liked Birdsong, although it's probably not quite as good as the hype but otherwise, Faulkes' fiction is either overblown and unrealistic (the last part of Charlotte Grey) or just dull - that book especially.

I mean this is how is website describes it:

"Five years in the research and writing, the epic Human Traces, Faulks’s seventh novel, was, and remains, his most ambitious yet. Its theme is the nature of humanity: the make-up of our conscious minds and what it is that makes humans so perplexingly different from other creatures."

Yeah, it was crap.


His Bond book (Devil May Care) was cracking.
[Post edited 17 Sep 16:15]
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 16:18 - Sep 17 with 571 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Perhaps not most boring because in there is a cracking story but my word The Count of Monte Cristo has pages and pages (and pages) of exposition.

Poll: As we are indulging in pointless quesions. If my aunt had balls would she be ...

0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 16:20 - Sep 17 with 564 viewsDJR

I'm not sure if the following quite capture the question.

Don Quixote by Cervantes is quite funny but rather repetitive, so I gave up after about 100 pages, having got from the book all I felt I needed.

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Hemingway was a real struggle for the first 100 pages but worth it in the end, not least because it left me with a vivid sense of the Spanish countryside.
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 16:31 - Sep 17 with 540 viewsChurchman

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 16:18 - Sep 17 by You_Bloo_Right

Perhaps not most boring because in there is a cracking story but my word The Count of Monte Cristo has pages and pages (and pages) of exposition.


I enjoyed it. But yes, the old Victorians did like detail.

School made me read an awful lot of Shakespeare. God, that man has a lot to answer for. Another for the school tedium awards - The Canterbury Tales.

In fact, I cannot remember them offering any decent stuff back in those days. For O Level, one of them was A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alekzandr Solzhenitsyn. Pages and pages of hardship, misery and depression.
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 16:44 - Sep 17 with 521 viewsmellowblue

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 15:16 - Sep 17 by Dubtractor

God Emperor of Dune is tough going, isn't it?

The original is a classic of science fiction though.


you are right, ran out of ideas. It started quite well but became predictable. On the death of the author there were thousands of pages of plotlines for prequel and spinoff books which other authors have carried out. Not sure if I will try them without research first.
0
The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 16:51 - Sep 17 with 504 viewsHugoagogo_Reborn

The most boring book you’ve ever read? on 16:31 - Sep 17 by Churchman

I enjoyed it. But yes, the old Victorians did like detail.

School made me read an awful lot of Shakespeare. God, that man has a lot to answer for. Another for the school tedium awards - The Canterbury Tales.

In fact, I cannot remember them offering any decent stuff back in those days. For O Level, one of them was A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alekzandr Solzhenitsyn. Pages and pages of hardship, misery and depression.


Urgh - yes, the Victorian's and detail! I hated Wuthering Heights because it had way too much detail and all of the characters were either utterly dislikeable or insipid.

But you'd be hard pushed to find a more boring detail-driven writer than Thomas Hardy. His books are hard work at the best of times and pretty depressing, too.

Poll: Which Manchester team do you dislike the most?

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026