Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? 09:32 - Sep 29 with 2496 viewsCotty

Suddenly it's so good that it's clear that anybody not heavily relying on it in my "industry" are going to be left in the dust. And it seems inevitable to me that the longterm outlook for what I do isn't looking quite so rosey. I'm absolutely not a luddite and have been using it for years, but the leap forward in the last few weeks/months is frightening. Life is going to look very different for all of us in the next ten years...
6
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:27 - Sep 29 with 631 viewshomer_123

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:24 - Sep 29 by jasondozzell

I wouldn't worry about it. No one really wants it and despite their best efforts no one really has a clue how to use it in business.

It is also useless. It couldn't add up a spreadsheet and it told me Polanski was an MP currently.

They've got to make 300 billion a year to break even on it. Coke makes 14 billion a year.

Humans are better than machines. More beauty, imagination and intelligence.
[Post edited 29 Sep 11:25]


We're doing it wrong.

The way to make money with AI is with videos telling others how to use AI....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: Has Omari travelled?

1
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:30 - Sep 29 with 629 views_CliveBaker_

Yep, the speed of change in my field (finance) is frightening. I use AI a lot, although compared to others probably barely scratch the surface. My use of it is generally to shortcut, help build a deck that gets me 80% of the way there which I can finesse etc. Its the formatting of those sort of tasks I used to take too long on. A colleague recently used AI to build her a financial model, the sort of thing I would've taken a day on 15 years ago she turned around in an hour.

No idea what it means for society longer term, I can very well see the benefits in certain fields that will benefit everyone, but the funnelling of wealth to a minority of tech firms and away from the every man can't be a good thing.

I've long thought labour market participation is probably the single most important component in a functioning society, when you consider the purpose it gives people, taxes collected to invest in public services and spending power it creates to support commerce. Anything that compromises that is pretty concerning, no doubt AI does on a huge scale.
0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:32 - Sep 29 with 623 viewsgreyhound

The interesting pivot is that you can now get paid very well if you can use ai to high effect. There's an argument that it is giving people the capability to land jobs they are completely unqualified for
0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:33 - Sep 29 with 612 views_CliveBaker_

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:22 - Sep 29 by Vaughan8

I use it for not too much at the moment.

To work out say a sum of digits finance agreement figures, split interest and capital - Excellent

Basic tax advice - client can probably look this up themselves

Anything beyond basic it can get it totally wrong.

I've had clients say "yeah but Google AI says this". Yes but that isn't your situation!!!


It's frightening how many times we spot errors with AI output when its subjects we know about, but we're happy to take it as gospel when it isn't. I asked ChatGPT to produce a Premier League table prediction a few weeks ago and it had West Ham in 12th. Told it they're in the Champ and it re-produced it without West Ham, but Sheffield United in 20th.

Yet I'll take its advice on other things I'm less placed to disprove far more willingly. Worrying, and a poor reflection on me.
3
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:52 - Sep 29 with 559 viewsjasondozzell

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:33 - Sep 29 by _CliveBaker_

It's frightening how many times we spot errors with AI output when its subjects we know about, but we're happy to take it as gospel when it isn't. I asked ChatGPT to produce a Premier League table prediction a few weeks ago and it had West Ham in 12th. Told it they're in the Champ and it re-produced it without West Ham, but Sheffield United in 20th.

Yet I'll take its advice on other things I'm less placed to disprove far more willingly. Worrying, and a poor reflection on me.


Yeah it's very flawed. It can't even write well! It's made similar mistakes when I've looked at football stuff with it.


I think it's Emperor's new clothes really.

I mean it building a PowerPoint is hardly impressive. PowerPoints are god awful anyway.

The human hand in work is going to become more valuable and desirable.
0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:56 - Sep 29 with 554 viewsFoghornGleghorn

Right there with you. My industry is trying to shoehorn it in everywhere it possibly can, and as with a lot of industries it's going to lead to something going seriously wrong, so I'm just carrying on gamely hoping that when that happens it's not bad enough that there's serious harm done but bad enough that there's a realisation that there's no substitute for human intervention, and that it happens soon enough that I don't lose my job and have to go back to the drawing board after 20 years.
0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 12:03 - Sep 29 with 543 viewsElderGrizzly

The thing that will make the difference between success or not for firms is how they use humans/experts in the process. We’ve been talking about trust, transparency and expert-in-the-loop for the last 18 months.

It’s going to radically alter almost every industry, some in unseen ways. Even your poultry farmers will have applications for it.

I was talking a few weeks ago to some radiographers and anaesthetists and both see their jobs being radically changed. Even surgeons believe there is a place for Ai and robotics combined to widen access to healthcare
0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 15:22 - Sep 29 with 389 viewsbsw72

I spend a lot of time discussing AI / Technology with c-suite execs on the tech and operations sides, people need not to fall into the trap of bracketing AI as a single technology.

Was at an offsite last week where we were talking about how thge term "AI" has become so broad that it's almost meaningless without qualification. I hear it used to describe a rules engine someone built fifteen years ago and, in the same breath, the latest language model, and those two things have very little in common.

A deterministic system follows logic that a person wrote down. Give it the same input and you get the same answer every time, and if something goes wrong you can trace exactly why. Plenty of what gets sold as "intelligent automation" is really this, and that's fine, but it isn't learning anything.

Machine learning is different in that the behaviour comes from the data rather than from written rules. Fraud detection and credit scoring are good examples. The outputs are probabilistic, they're only as good as the data behind them, and explaining a specific decision to an auditor or regulator can be genuinely difficult.

Generative AI goes a step further by creating content rather than predicting or classifying, and large language models are the part of that most people now have in mind when they say "AI". They're remarkably capable, but they're also perfectly willing to be confidently wrong (like me on a quiz night!), and once you start giving them the ability to take actions across other systems you're into a different conversation altogether about permissions and accountability.

A lot of the noise refers to the latest GenAI models obviously but It's very interesting when you start having these discussions at the senior levels etc.
2
Login to get fewer ads

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 15:51 - Sep 29 with 355 viewsBillywitch

watching my manage co-pilot every single email 2/3 times is really painful. that aside, i'm ok with it for now
0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 16:28 - Sep 29 with 319 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 09:35 - Sep 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

Meanwhile gardening carries on regardless. It is literally passing me by and I'm not even trying to understand it.


I was perplexed/fascinated when I arrived at a client today who I hadn’t been to for a couple of months, merrily getting my mower off the van and she excitedly asked me to take a look at her new toy.
It was a bloody robot cutting the lawn 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Hedge still needed a trim though so guess the metal mower man hasn’t figured out how to do that yet…..but I suppose it’s only a matter of time Carol x

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 18:16 - Sep 29 with 259 viewsNthQldITFC

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 16:28 - Sep 29 by StochesStotasBlewe

I was perplexed/fascinated when I arrived at a client today who I hadn’t been to for a couple of months, merrily getting my mower off the van and she excitedly asked me to take a look at her new toy.
It was a bloody robot cutting the lawn 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Hedge still needed a trim though so guess the metal mower man hasn’t figured out how to do that yet…..but I suppose it’s only a matter of time Carol x


That sucks.

(Or maybe I'm thinking of a robot vacuum cleaner)

Seriously though - how rude!

I hope the feggin robot gets a jam and, lacking experience, chops its little metal fingers off trying to get the bit of string out of the cylinder. Or failing that, manages to spray itself with cat sh!t.

Solidarity.
[Post edited 29 Sep 18:20]

Good work by Philogene...... GREAT WORK BY PHILOGENE!!!
Poll: How would you feel about a UK Identity Card?

0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 18:22 - Sep 29 with 255 viewsarmchaircritic59

It is, very different, like you, I use it a lot too, I'm retired but again like you, no luddite. It's something that needs to be firmly kept control of but not throttled. Then everyone can benefit from it in the future and not be scared of it. I'm certainly not. I've heard from people I know involved with such things, I just hope I'm still around to see where it's all going in a decades time. Rather like our team should be doing in the PL, respect it for sure but absolutely no fear.
0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 19:05 - Sep 29 with 226 viewsFrimleyBlue

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 16:28 - Sep 29 by StochesStotasBlewe

I was perplexed/fascinated when I arrived at a client today who I hadn’t been to for a couple of months, merrily getting my mower off the van and she excitedly asked me to take a look at her new toy.
It was a bloody robot cutting the lawn 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Hedge still needed a trim though so guess the metal mower man hasn’t figured out how to do that yet…..but I suppose it’s only a matter of time Carol x


Robots won't tidy up the grass cuttings.. when they pile up, leave the fkers where they are and tell her to clean it up herself

Waka Waka
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 19:37 - Sep 29 with 207 viewsarmchaircritic59

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 19:05 - Sep 29 by FrimleyBlue

Robots won't tidy up the grass cuttings.. when they pile up, leave the fkers where they are and tell her to clean it up herself


Ha yes, my info is that the likes of robots knocking on your door to fix the plumbing and other similar things is probably around a decade away. The intelligence is there, getting them to actually function in very tight spaces, such as would be needed isn't quite there yet. Though given the speed of things that's a tentative assessment. Always assuming we haven't been wiped out as a species by then of course. Which would simply be a case of the human race inventing something to eradicate it's very existence, and the greatest irony since this planet came into being. It's not happening, so don't panic.
0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 21:25 - Sep 29 with 162 viewsmellowblue

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 19:05 - Sep 29 by FrimleyBlue

Robots won't tidy up the grass cuttings.. when they pile up, leave the fkers where they are and tell her to clean it up herself


nice idea, but unfortunately they finecut the grass and it mulches and feeds the grass when it breaks down.
0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 21:42 - Sep 29 with 151 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 15:22 - Sep 29 by bsw72

I spend a lot of time discussing AI / Technology with c-suite execs on the tech and operations sides, people need not to fall into the trap of bracketing AI as a single technology.

Was at an offsite last week where we were talking about how thge term "AI" has become so broad that it's almost meaningless without qualification. I hear it used to describe a rules engine someone built fifteen years ago and, in the same breath, the latest language model, and those two things have very little in common.

A deterministic system follows logic that a person wrote down. Give it the same input and you get the same answer every time, and if something goes wrong you can trace exactly why. Plenty of what gets sold as "intelligent automation" is really this, and that's fine, but it isn't learning anything.

Machine learning is different in that the behaviour comes from the data rather than from written rules. Fraud detection and credit scoring are good examples. The outputs are probabilistic, they're only as good as the data behind them, and explaining a specific decision to an auditor or regulator can be genuinely difficult.

Generative AI goes a step further by creating content rather than predicting or classifying, and large language models are the part of that most people now have in mind when they say "AI". They're remarkably capable, but they're also perfectly willing to be confidently wrong (like me on a quiz night!), and once you start giving them the ability to take actions across other systems you're into a different conversation altogether about permissions and accountability.

A lot of the noise refers to the latest GenAI models obviously but It's very interesting when you start having these discussions at the senior levels etc.


Quite. And that “confidently wrong” should show everyone where the opportunities are. There’s going to be plenty of opportunities created for unpicking the mess that comes from people not using the technologies well. The tech is very much people-limited. At the moment it seems to be a bit of an honeymoon period with everyone dabbling despite very few people really understanding how these technologies work (they’re deliberately designed to be black box after all). I very much doubt this technology is going to replace experience and where it does those are the sorts of organisations you want to get out of asap.

My hunch is that the honeymoon period will end and a lot of places will belatedly realised they’ve sacrificed too much chasing the tech. Things will then settle and it will become another tool with less significance attached to it.

I could be wildly wrong and probably am. I’m the sort of person who would have bet on Betamax.

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 22:03 - Sep 29 with 133 viewsOldsmoker

Soylent Green anyone?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 23:51 - Sep 29 with 85 viewsRyorry

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 11:03 - Sep 29 by mellowblue

Being paid to exist rather than rewarded for work achieved sounds grim though. Leave fulltime education and are effectively pensioned off unless it is a job with physical skills AI robotics cannot master.


Don't worry, AI's cunning plan long-term is to kill us all off.

Back up all knowledge onto paper in case you do survive.


Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

0
Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 23:55 - Sep 29 with 77 viewsRyorry

Anybody else suffering from an AI-induced existential crisis? on 16:28 - Sep 29 by StochesStotasBlewe

I was perplexed/fascinated when I arrived at a client today who I hadn’t been to for a couple of months, merrily getting my mower off the van and she excitedly asked me to take a look at her new toy.
It was a bloody robot cutting the lawn 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Hedge still needed a trim though so guess the metal mower man hasn’t figured out how to do that yet…..but I suppose it’s only a matter of time Carol x


You can have the last snigger when it mows down her snowdrops, crocuses & daffs in the New Year.

Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026