Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a disappointment Burnham is 20:57 - Sep 30 with 3733 viewsIllinoisblue

A once decent man choosing to stand on the side of cheats and fraudsters responsible for the biggest case of corruption in the history of sport.


62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

5
What a disappointment Burnham is on 21:08 - Sep 30 with 3011 viewsHighgateBlue

I'm not sure he's read the room on this one.

Presumably Starmer said the exact opposite somewhere in the Manifesto, and he felt compelled to go in a different direction.
3
I think he's forgotten.... on 21:30 - Sep 30 with 2889 viewsBloots

....that he's not the President of Mancunia anymore.

The silly sod.

Keaton, Kint, McManus, Fenster and Hockney.

2
What a disappointment Burnham is on 21:52 - Sep 30 with 2753 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I'm not entirely sure that's a totally fair assessment. He is the UK Prime Minister answering questions about the leaders of a foreign nation we have diplomatic ties with. I understand they have also invested heavily in Manchester as a city. His comments appear to be very much about how much of a shame it will be if they are no longer there and very clear that he has no jurisdiction over the decisions to be made.

I read the comments in the context that he recognises it is fairly inevitable they will be parting company. But perhaps I am missing something.

Poll: Who is the greatest threat to the UK right now?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

10
What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:02 - Sep 30 with 2686 viewsWhos_blue

I saw the interview and didn't see it like that at all Illy.
Given the question he was asked, I'm not sure what other answer he could have reasonably given.
I'm sure people will find lots of things to beat Burnham with during this government, but I'm not sure this is one of them just yet.

"Look, I don't wanna be the same as everybody else. That's why I'm a Mod, see?"

6
What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:02 - Sep 30 with 2686 viewsWacko

What a disappointment Burnham is on 21:52 - Sep 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

I'm not entirely sure that's a totally fair assessment. He is the UK Prime Minister answering questions about the leaders of a foreign nation we have diplomatic ties with. I understand they have also invested heavily in Manchester as a city. His comments appear to be very much about how much of a shame it will be if they are no longer there and very clear that he has no jurisdiction over the decisions to be made.

I read the comments in the context that he recognises it is fairly inevitable they will be parting company. But perhaps I am missing something.


No you’re not missing something, he’s stating the obvious and clearly as with lots of nefarious entities (Savile?) they muddied the waters with lots of positive investment / donations

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

1
What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:05 - Sep 30 with 2663 viewsRetroBlue

What a disappointment Burnham is on 21:52 - Sep 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

I'm not entirely sure that's a totally fair assessment. He is the UK Prime Minister answering questions about the leaders of a foreign nation we have diplomatic ties with. I understand they have also invested heavily in Manchester as a city. His comments appear to be very much about how much of a shame it will be if they are no longer there and very clear that he has no jurisdiction over the decisions to be made.

I read the comments in the context that he recognises it is fairly inevitable they will be parting company. But perhaps I am missing something.


Exactly . Theres a huge amount at stake niw eith this MC situation. Burnham is wearing a totally different cap.now and has to act accordingly.

On the MC front, I see their primary sponsor is now threatening to take the PL to court. This isn't over by a long chalk yet and it could well be a pivotal moment in the history of the PL and its very survival in its present form.

Football on the brink would not be too much of an exaggeration. Itll be interesting to see how many other PL clubs will support the PL governing body. Lots of dirty tricks by the MC owners and their lawyers now i think, abd they will be doing all they can to kick that can down the road....

ITFC - The Pride of Anglia
Poll: Who do you want to win?

1
What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:08 - Sep 30 with 2650 viewsKievthegreat

What a disappointment Burnham is on 21:52 - Sep 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

I'm not entirely sure that's a totally fair assessment. He is the UK Prime Minister answering questions about the leaders of a foreign nation we have diplomatic ties with. I understand they have also invested heavily in Manchester as a city. His comments appear to be very much about how much of a shame it will be if they are no longer there and very clear that he has no jurisdiction over the decisions to be made.

I read the comments in the context that he recognises it is fairly inevitable they will be parting company. But perhaps I am missing something.


He should be answering that the process is ongoing and not making emotive statements of any kind. He shouldn't be talking about it being concerning when that's exactly what an independent football regulator could impose. Would it be acceptable in another ongoing legal case to be seen to take a non-neutral position?
2
Burnham is not evading difficult questions on 22:11 - Sep 30 with 2635 viewsWeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/art

'sked by the BBC's political editor Chris Mason if he was concerned that Manchester City's owners would now sell the club, Burham said on Wednesday: "I would be really concerned to lose them.

"They've been such a huge partner in the building of modern Manchester and obviously the building of Manchester City into the global force that it is."

Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester until June, added: "I do actually thank the City Football Group and the wider ownership for the money that they didn't just put into the Etihad [Stadium] and the campus around it but also into the city".

He said he was "of course" confident that his own interactions with City's owners when he was mayor would stand up to scrutiny.'

He accepted there was "a lot at stake" for City fans, the club and Manchester itself.

But he added it would be wrong for him to intervene.'

He is not advocating any government interference with the disciplinary process, more a case of regret at what the repercussions will do to the city he was mayor of.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

5
Login to get fewer ads

What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:28 - Sep 30 with 2510 viewsWallingford_Boy

He came across very well and you’re framing it all wrong.

He seems a really decent bloke Tbf.

RIP Sir Bobby

1
What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:28 - Sep 30 with 2515 viewsRsj13

For someone typically so articulate and precise with his words, it's the word "concerned" that stood out to me (or concerned that concerned me...!) and gives rise for the different interpretations.

I *think* he's simply acknowledging that they've done so much for the broader city, but I can see how it's been construed in other ways.
4
What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:41 - Sep 30 with 2444 viewsMullet

I don’t think it’s a question where he can win.

That area of Manchester was rough af, a huge area of crime and poverty left behind by deindustrialised Britain etc.

From there you’ve seen so much money pour into the city centre too through hotels, high rises, infrastructure and a good chunk comes from them. Rightly or wrongly. If and when they choose to be punitive it will be the people of East Manchester who suffer hugely.

City have links with education around there, the ground is currently a building site as they are putting in hotels, shops etc and combing it with the Coop live next door. The amount of money poured into that site and the areas round it is phenomenal.

There’s going to be a huge impact on the community, the city and then the country in very different ways. He will know that and be thinking about it in a way the rest of us won’t. So I think whatever he says or doesn’t say, he’s going to be accused of doing the wrong thing.

That said, I think it shows he’s very much an emotional leader and that means he takes this sort of route rather than hiding behind a glorified no comment. I suspect it will be a running theme of his tenure.

Poll: Which itfc kit do you usually buy
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

4
What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:43 - Sep 30 with 2437 viewsSwansea_Blue

I thought he was very clumsy in his answer. Waffled a lot and was obviously had the investment of the City owners into the area in the back of his mind. And seemed to be saying we shouldn't judge the outcome even though City have been found guilty of all charges. Yes they can appeal, but that's not quite the same thing as not knowing the outcome of the investigation.

Disappointing really considering his commendable stance for justice with Hillsborough. The business/politics/money trumps decency in this case apparently, rather ironically.

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

2
What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:55 - Sep 30 with 2384 viewsSwansea_Blue

What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:41 - Sep 30 by Mullet

I don’t think it’s a question where he can win.

That area of Manchester was rough af, a huge area of crime and poverty left behind by deindustrialised Britain etc.

From there you’ve seen so much money pour into the city centre too through hotels, high rises, infrastructure and a good chunk comes from them. Rightly or wrongly. If and when they choose to be punitive it will be the people of East Manchester who suffer hugely.

City have links with education around there, the ground is currently a building site as they are putting in hotels, shops etc and combing it with the Coop live next door. The amount of money poured into that site and the areas round it is phenomenal.

There’s going to be a huge impact on the community, the city and then the country in very different ways. He will know that and be thinking about it in a way the rest of us won’t. So I think whatever he says or doesn’t say, he’s going to be accused of doing the wrong thing.

That said, I think it shows he’s very much an emotional leader and that means he takes this sort of route rather than hiding behind a glorified no comment. I suspect it will be a running theme of his tenure.


Yeah, he was obviously struggling to handle that disconnect between their cheating in the league and the obviously vital contribution they've made to regenerate the area. They are quite separate - there's no suggestion of any wrongdoing outside of cheating the PL (as far as I'm aware). I'm not sure what I thing about the wider picture tbh, but was a bit surprised he didn't criticise the cheating more. If that was even possible without pissing off a development partner.

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

0
What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:57 - Sep 30 with 2371 viewsBelsteadCav

This is political interference.

King of the board since 98
Poll: Which way do you swing?

-2
Burnham is not evading difficult questions on 23:12 - Sep 30 with 2310 viewsWeWereZombies

What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:57 - Sep 30 by BelsteadCav

This is political interference.


He has specifically said that he will not intervene.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

3
What a disappointment Burnham is on 01:27 - Oct 1 with 2055 viewsIllinoisblue

What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:41 - Sep 30 by Mullet

I don’t think it’s a question where he can win.

That area of Manchester was rough af, a huge area of crime and poverty left behind by deindustrialised Britain etc.

From there you’ve seen so much money pour into the city centre too through hotels, high rises, infrastructure and a good chunk comes from them. Rightly or wrongly. If and when they choose to be punitive it will be the people of East Manchester who suffer hugely.

City have links with education around there, the ground is currently a building site as they are putting in hotels, shops etc and combing it with the Coop live next door. The amount of money poured into that site and the areas round it is phenomenal.

There’s going to be a huge impact on the community, the city and then the country in very different ways. He will know that and be thinking about it in a way the rest of us won’t. So I think whatever he says or doesn’t say, he’s going to be accused of doing the wrong thing.

That said, I think it shows he’s very much an emotional leader and that means he takes this sort of route rather than hiding behind a glorified no comment. I suspect it will be a running theme of his tenure.


Alternatively:


All feels a bit “look at the shiny new infrastructure we built. But please ignore when we throw journalists into a meat grinder.”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

1
What a disappointment Burnham is on 07:24 - Oct 1 with 1747 viewsMullet

What a disappointment Burnham is on 01:27 - Oct 1 by Illinoisblue

Alternatively:


All feels a bit “look at the shiny new infrastructure we built. But please ignore when we throw journalists into a meat grinder.”


That’s definitely an argument. One I’d say is very valid too. The massive blocks of flats are full of foreigners for example and often extortionate. But the infrastructure has definitely provided jobs too.

Likewise, I was talking to some one at work from the area around the Etihad who was saying that they haven’t felt much benefit in terms of gentrification. That’s all been funnelled towards the city centre. The suburbs of east Manchester haven’t got the cafes, bars and “nice things” they thought they’d get years ago.

Poll: Which itfc kit do you usually buy
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

0
What a disappointment Burnham is on 07:32 - Oct 1 with 1723 viewsScuzzer

What a disappointment Burnham is on 21:08 - Sep 30 by HighgateBlue

I'm not sure he's read the room on this one.

Presumably Starmer said the exact opposite somewhere in the Manifesto, and he felt compelled to go in a different direction.


Doesn't read the room on anything.

Established 1968

0
What a disappointment Burnham is on 08:23 - Oct 1 with 1572 viewsDJR

What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:55 - Sep 30 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, he was obviously struggling to handle that disconnect between their cheating in the league and the obviously vital contribution they've made to regenerate the area. They are quite separate - there's no suggestion of any wrongdoing outside of cheating the PL (as far as I'm aware). I'm not sure what I thing about the wider picture tbh, but was a bit surprised he didn't criticise the cheating more. If that was even possible without pissing off a development partner.


I imagine there is also an element of feeling for the fans who are innocent in all this, as well as not wanting to anger them.

And the matter hasn't been finally resolved anyway.
[Post edited 1 Oct 8:40]
0
What a disappointment Burnham is on 08:27 - Oct 1 with 1543 viewsBloomBlue

Unfortunately the masters of the oil universe funded much of Burnham's Manchester improvements, without that black gold money Burnham's success in Manchester wouldn't be anywhere near what it is. Burnham knows this, which is probably why he's looking at starting new oil & gas fields in the North Sea, so every Post Code can have the same success.

His main issue from now will probably be every anti Burnham is currently analysing all those improvement projects the City owners were involved in to try and find a discrepancy and hit him with it.
0
What a disappointment Burnham is on 08:27 - Oct 1 with 1539 viewsNthQldITFC

What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:28 - Sep 30 by Wallingford_Boy

He came across very well and you’re framing it all wrong.

He seems a really decent bloke Tbf.


'Framing it all wrong' is, I think, rather an understatement.

Good work by Philogene...... GREAT WORK BY PHILOGENE!!!
Poll: How would you feel about a UK Identity Card?

0
What a disappointment Burnham is on 08:27 - Oct 1 with 1539 viewsMetal_Hacker

Remind ourselves where he made a name for himself , as the Mayor of Manchester and by all accounts a very good reputation he seems to have created . Working with quite a few Mancs all speak very highly of him so I'm expecting him to be seen to be looking after "his own" where all this is concerned . Truth be told if the guy has anything about him and is an advocate for the the law and rules then he will find them as guilty as the next man regardless of that impact it might have on whatever his concerns are
[Post edited 1 Oct 8:30]

Poll: Which No.9 Would YOU Buy / Loan ?

1
What a disappointment Burnham is on 08:37 - Oct 1 with 1479 viewstonybied

What a disappointment Burnham is on 08:27 - Oct 1 by Metal_Hacker

Remind ourselves where he made a name for himself , as the Mayor of Manchester and by all accounts a very good reputation he seems to have created . Working with quite a few Mancs all speak very highly of him so I'm expecting him to be seen to be looking after "his own" where all this is concerned . Truth be told if the guy has anything about him and is an advocate for the the law and rules then he will find them as guilty as the next man regardless of that impact it might have on whatever his concerns are
[Post edited 1 Oct 8:30]


There's some 'takes' in this thread. Looks to me like some are itching to get the boot in already.

What we all need to remember is that all that has happened here is that City have been found to have broken football rules, they have not, from my understanding, broken any UK laws. To antagonise the owners and try to push them away from our shores is likely cutting off our nose to spite our face. City should have the book thrown at them, in a football sense, for knowingly breaking the rules, but they shouldn't be punished outside of that world. As mentioned by others, the owners have done lots of great things for the area that shouldn't be ignored.
1
What a disappointment Burnham is on 10:30 - Oct 1 with 1151 viewsGuthrum

'... stand on the side of ...' is a bit strong. More lamenting the potential loss of a partnership which has seen a lot of money invested in that part of Manchester. He doesn't say he thinks the charges are wrong, in fact specifies that he cannot comment further.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

5
What a disappointment Burnham is on 10:41 - Oct 1 with 1109 viewsRyorry

What a disappointment Burnham is on 22:28 - Sep 30 by Rsj13

For someone typically so articulate and precise with his words, it's the word "concerned" that stood out to me (or concerned that concerned me...!) and gives rise for the different interpretations.

I *think* he's simply acknowledging that they've done so much for the broader city, but I can see how it's been construed in other ways.


Well the OP got an upvote from DaveU, so Illy must be right!


Poll: Do you find minor cuts & grazes heal better

0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026