Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Time Abroad. 18:34 - Oct 6 with 2560 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Interested to know where the good folks of TWTD had their first foreign trip and in which year.
Was chatting about this on our flight back from Sofia yesterday evening and how accessible travel to the four corners of the globe has become over the decades (for better or worse).
Mine was two weeks full board in Salou in 1972 aged eleven and it seemed like the most exciting thing ever, went with my parents and another family.
Package holidays were starting to give everyday people at least the opportunity to be able to afford what at the time seemed like a really exotic destination.


We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

2
First Time Abroad. on 11:00 - Oct 7 with 404 viewsMattinLondon

First Time Abroad. on 10:49 - Oct 7 by giant_stow

Brute


In my head, I’ve now made it on TWTD. Being called a ‘brute’ by you is like getting a handshake from Paul Hollywood on Bake-Off.

Magnificent - thank you.
1
First Time Abroad. on 11:03 - Oct 7 with 393 viewsfarkenhell

First Time Abroad. on 11:00 - Oct 7 by MattinLondon

In my head, I’ve now made it on TWTD. Being called a ‘brute’ by you is like getting a handshake from Paul Hollywood on Bake-Off.

Magnificent - thank you.


Or a downvote from DaveU.
1
First Time Abroad. on 11:06 - Oct 7 with 374 viewsMattinLondon

First Time Abroad. on 11:03 - Oct 7 by farkenhell

Or a downvote from DaveU.


I’ve had DaveU downvote me numerous times but he has also upvoted me a couple of times as well.
[Post edited 7 Oct 11:06]
0
First Time Abroad. on 11:08 - Oct 7 with 365 viewsSteve_M

Luxembourg and France aged 16 on a Eurocamp holiday. That was a lot of driving for my parents who must have done Ipswich - Dover and Calais to Luxembourg in day between them.

That was 1993 as my GCSE results came out, before the cheap flight era and budget airlines opened up a lot more travel relatively cheaply.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

0
First Time Abroad. on 11:09 - Oct 7 with 359 viewsSharkey

School trip to France, and then (from 1981 or so) ferries from Harwich to Hoek van Holland, Hamburg, Esbjerg, Gothenburg. I still love ferries and really miss the days when Harwich was much busier.
2
First Time Abroad. on 11:17 - Oct 7 with 340 viewsleitrimblue

First Time Abroad. on 10:50 - Oct 7 by Benters

I got mugged on my school trip to France bastards nicked my small change and nuddy pen.


Garlic smelling, stripey jumper wearing mother thumpers!

Its ok to lose a few francs, but that girlie pen woulda keep the schoolboy you busy and off the streets for weeks.

Also partly explains yer mistrust of Johnny Foreigner, not sure I'd ever be able to trust 1 again if they stolen me boobie pen
0
First Time Abroad. on 11:23 - Oct 7 with 315 viewsDJR

First Time Abroad. on 10:05 - Oct 7 by leitrimblue

Day trip to France with the school in the early to mid 80,s. The bus returned ladened with exotic girlie playing cards and boobie pens. TWTD


I didn't go abroad with the school but in the 70s those that did in my scout group came back with flick knives.
0
First Time Abroad. on 11:27 - Oct 7 with 293 viewsleitrimblue

First Time Abroad. on 11:23 - Oct 7 by DJR

I didn't go abroad with the school but in the 70s those that did in my scout group came back with flick knives.


Nearest thing I seen on the bus home was a flick comb. Not half as cool
1
Login to get fewer ads

First Time Abroad. on 11:52 - Oct 7 with 263 viewsmellowblue

First Time Abroad. on 10:40 - Oct 7 by Meadowlark

Ah. I see. It was upgraded a few years back and they built a new terminal building. It was very busy in the 80s/90s. They even had "commuter" flights to Heathrow. TUI and Ryanair fly out of Norwich as well as several KLM flights every day to and from Amsterdam.
Those KLM flights are a bit pricey, but while someone else is paying they are very convenient. I have often recommended Norwich Airport to overseas visitors. If they have no reason to visit London, clearing customs and getting away etc at NWI is much easier.


Annoys me that Norwich airport is really convenient for me, but the high prices mean I always end up at Luton, Stansted or Gatwick. It is a case of fly from Norwich or drive 50 miles further to Stansted and have an extra 100-200 quid to spend. No brainer.
0
First Time Abroad. on 12:00 - Oct 7 with 254 viewsmellowblue

Not too sure as I was young and trips all blur into one and it was 60 years ago. It was either somewhere in Southern Spain when it was still largely unspoilt or Elba, which was a fairly in place to visit in the 60s. Dolce vita etc. Never hear about Elba now, it is a nice little island off the Italian West coast between Tuscany and Corsica. Better known for Napoleon being exiled there, before he escaped, rallied the troops and lost at Waterloo.
0
First Time Abroad. on 12:12 - Oct 7 with 229 viewsWeWereZombies

First Time Abroad. on 10:06 - Oct 7 by giant_stow

How dare you! The airport (plus the two cathedrals) is our thing.


Indeed. Just because there isn't an open top bus parade every time a flight takes off doesn't mean the airport isn't operational...

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

0
First Time Abroad. on 12:29 - Oct 7 with 200 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

First Time Abroad. on 08:25 - Oct 7 by Churchman

I think it was 1971 and we went to Malgrat de Mar flying with an airline called Court Line Luton-Girona on a bright yellow BAC111. I thought it was magical and had a great time.


I’m pretty sure our flight was with Court Line. Luton to Reus I think.
They went tits up a few years later I believe??
My main memories were warm sea, clear blue skies, huge tomatoes, my brother having an infection, the doctor throwing a syringe of antibiotics like a darts player in his arse and my mum getting locked in a putrid toilet for an hour or so when the lock jammed. Took a couple of burly Spanish chaps to break the door open.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

0
First Time Abroad. on 12:50 - Oct 7 with 168 viewsPlums

First Time Abroad. on 10:15 - Oct 7 by MJallday

Rhodes when i was 13/14 years old - back in 1991

it wasnt such a hellhole back then.


I'm guessing you went to the wrong part - unless you're thinking of wildfires?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

0
First Time Abroad. on 12:53 - Oct 7 with 167 viewsCBBlue

First Time Abroad. on 19:57 - Oct 6 by Meadowlark

School cruise when I was 12ish.
Gibraltar, Malta, Athens, Egypt and Venice.
Flew home on a Comet !!


Blimey where did you go to school? I don't think our school did any overseas trips at that age.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

0
First Time Abroad. on 12:59 - Oct 7 with 151 viewsWeWereZombies

First Time Abroad. on 10:55 - Oct 7 by LeBlue

Summer of 1979, aged 7 - The Algarve. Flew with Danair (remember them?) on a 727.


The Flying Fridges.

Poll: To make him more acceptable what should Gary O'Neill change his middle name to ?

0
First Time Abroad. on 13:26 - Oct 7 with 125 viewsMeadowlark

First Time Abroad. on 12:53 - Oct 7 by CBBlue

Blimey where did you go to school? I don't think our school did any overseas trips at that age.


It was just the local grammar school in Lowestoft. School cruises were a big thing back in the 60/70s. SS Uganda and SS Nevasa were the ship names I remember. We slept in dormitory style accommodation and had classes on board every day.
I couldn't tell you how much it cost but it was pretty cheap. They crammed us in.
"Student Capacity: The ship was refitted in 1967 to accommodate approximately 920 to 930 students in dormitory-style quarters located in the former cargo holds."
I've never been back to Gibraltar or Malta, but I've visited the other places numerous times since.
1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026