Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What would be your last job for retirement? 06:58 - Oct 8 with 2153 viewsPippin1970

Up for anything in reason lol.Taking early retirement regardless in 3 years.
0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 08:32 - Oct 8 with 1962 viewsPinewoodblue

I volunteered for redundancy at 64. Ended up dealing with same client but for a different employer.
10am - 3pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday same money!

Then 12 month consultancy, no office visit, contact by phone or email. Trained up a replacement, before I left, only contacted three times.

Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

1
What would be your last job for retirement? on 08:39 - Oct 8 with 1936 viewsbaxterbasics

When I was a student I did part time delivery driving for Sainsbury's and actually really enjoyed it. If I was still physically able I wouldn't mind doing that as a semi-retirement gig. Doesn't pay all that much mind (basically the same as an instore shelf filler but with an extra 50p per hour 'skill bonus'). Though 15 to 20 years from now when I'm at that age, it may well be all automated/self drive anyway.

zip
Poll: Who will win the World Cup golden boot?

0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 08:47 - Oct 8 with 1918 viewsChurchman

My advice to anyone is if or when you get the chance to retire, take it. For some, their work is their life and that’s great, but for many like me, it’s a job.

My last job before retirement was working on Brexit. I was asked to join one of the teams so I thought ‘why not?’. It was fascinating, hard work, stressful at times and I got to meet some interesting people and got involved in some fascinating stuff for two and a half years.

However, if in fantasyland I was able to replay that time, I’d have swapped those 2.5 years for retirement but given I promised myself never to work beyond 60 and walked away at 59, I’ve no complaints.
2
What would be your last job for retirement? on 08:55 - Oct 8 with 1883 viewsParisBlue

My current one. In 6 months time I'll be in the "maybe one more year" mindset.

Most enjoyable job I had was as a cashier at a petrol station. Easy, chat to people and read newspapers all day. Would be happy to do that again but the corporate life was never for me.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 09:17 - Oct 8 with 1813 viewsMeadowlark

What would be your last job for retirement? on 08:47 - Oct 8 by Churchman

My advice to anyone is if or when you get the chance to retire, take it. For some, their work is their life and that’s great, but for many like me, it’s a job.

My last job before retirement was working on Brexit. I was asked to join one of the teams so I thought ‘why not?’. It was fascinating, hard work, stressful at times and I got to meet some interesting people and got involved in some fascinating stuff for two and a half years.

However, if in fantasyland I was able to replay that time, I’d have swapped those 2.5 years for retirement but given I promised myself never to work beyond 60 and walked away at 59, I’ve no complaints.


Agreed.

Someone much cleverer and more insightful than me once said:
"No-one's parting words on their deathbed have ever been "I wish I'd stayed at work longer!""
2
What would be your last job for retirement? on 10:39 - Oct 8 with 1687 viewsWhos_blue

After a long career came to an end earlier this year I now work for a garden maintenance company 3 days a week.
It's very removed from what I was doing but I thoroughly enjoy it.

"Look, I don't wanna be the same as everybody else. That's why I'm a Mod, see?"

1
What would be your last job for retirement? on 11:36 - Oct 8 with 1560 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I plan to milk my current role for all it’s worth, despite it bringing me no pleasure, outside of a strong salary.

I am planning to retire in 7 yrs at 58, despite friends and family telling me collectively how bored I will be.
0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 12:04 - Oct 8 with 1497 viewsRetroBlue

Currently still doing mine at the age of 68 in an Ipswich Doctors surgery... Its testing to say the least ..

ITFC - The Pride of Anglia
Poll: Who do you want to win?

0
Login to get fewer ads

What would be your last job for retirement? on 12:20 - Oct 8 with 1444 viewsbrazil1982

I'm a while off yet but would consider stewarding at events.
0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 12:26 - Oct 8 with 1426 viewsMJallday

What would be your last job for retirement? on 12:04 - Oct 8 by RetroBlue

Currently still doing mine at the age of 68 in an Ipswich Doctors surgery... Its testing to say the least ..


what are you testing?

does it involve a rubber glove?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

1
What would be your last job for retirement? on 12:59 - Oct 8 with 1332 viewsJ2BLUE

Similar to Only Fans. I'm going to send random people pictures until they pay me to stop.
0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 14:03 - Oct 8 with 1235 viewsblue_curacao

Currently counting down to retirement at end of March, which is an arbitrary date picked to coincide with the end of the tax year. I have completely checked out at work and honestly don't know if I can make it through the next 5 months so may end up going earlier. I'm nearly 58 and have had enough of work. Of course, I'd love to grow my pension pot a bit more but it's a trade off and the time to do stuff while I'm relatively healthy is more important to me.

I may work again - who knows? - but if I do it won't be all about the money and will be totally on my terms :)
3
What would be your last job for retirement? on 14:22 - Oct 8 with 1202 viewsLeBlue

I turned 55 this year and can therefore draw a reduced local government deferred pension.

Of course, every year that goes by, my pension and lump sum increase a bit and my mortgage is closer to being paid off.

There seems to be a 'sweet spot' in 18 months where my lump sum will pay off the remainder of my mortgage and that will make a big difference to my required income. So, that's the target but I have to avoid being greedy and thinking 'one more year'.

I've worked non-stop since 16 and am pretty much done with people, who are either more irritating than they ever were or I am more easily irritated!
4
What would be your last job for retirement? on 15:00 - Oct 8 with 1112 viewsCafe_Newman

I'm a psychologist and I will always be a psychologist. I planned to retire at 60 but since the arrival and growth of AI, I believe people need human psychologists more than ever, so I'll probably work until I drop.

FREE PALASTINE FROM ZIONIST BOMBS. FREE LEBANON FROM ZIONIST BOMBS. FREE IRAN FROM ZIONIST BOMBS.

0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 15:12 - Oct 8 with 1053 viewslowhouseblue

What would be your last job for retirement? on 08:47 - Oct 8 by Churchman

My advice to anyone is if or when you get the chance to retire, take it. For some, their work is their life and that’s great, but for many like me, it’s a job.

My last job before retirement was working on Brexit. I was asked to join one of the teams so I thought ‘why not?’. It was fascinating, hard work, stressful at times and I got to meet some interesting people and got involved in some fascinating stuff for two and a half years.

However, if in fantasyland I was able to replay that time, I’d have swapped those 2.5 years for retirement but given I promised myself never to work beyond 60 and walked away at 59, I’ve no complaints.


a good friend worked on brexit in the treasury and died just recently. I don't know why i'm telling you that - it's just extremely sad.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 15:51 - Oct 8 with 969 viewsDeano69

What would be your last job for retirement? on 09:17 - Oct 8 by Meadowlark

Agreed.

Someone much cleverer and more insightful than me once said:
"No-one's parting words on their deathbed have ever been "I wish I'd stayed at work longer!""


By way of counter balance, I am edging towards retirement, but totally fearing the whole thing.

I have always been busy and enjoy the cut and thrust of business. In context, that's as a business owner with a good handle on work and life balancing and able to do the things I enjoy rather than grinding it out in a job I hate.

Many a business owners I have known struggle with retirement, in fact, I am even struggling with the term 'retirement' as to me it conjures up images of daytime tv and Werther's originals (shoot me now!). I have know a lot of busy types return to work as they simply cannot occupy enough of their time and brain activity without focus.

One person I know sold up and retired with a substantial amount of money. Within 18-24 months he had ticked off everything he wanted to do and didn't have a clue what to do with his time, regardless of how much money was still left in the bank account. He started a new business from scratch but it didn't quite have the same feel about it in his opinion.

It would great to be required and valued but without the day to day responsibility or dependency. I am exploring Non-Exec Board opportunities which might fill that void and still give an element of interest and activity without the constant need of responsibility.

Those are fair words, I had heard something slightly different as a phrase, no one on their death bed said 'they wish they spent less time with their family', but guess that depends on your family.

Answers on a postcard!

Retirement is a state of mind and a quest to be valued.

Poll: Best Tin of Chocolates

0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 15:56 - Oct 8 with 956 viewsDJR

What would be your last job for retirement? on 15:51 - Oct 8 by Deano69

By way of counter balance, I am edging towards retirement, but totally fearing the whole thing.

I have always been busy and enjoy the cut and thrust of business. In context, that's as a business owner with a good handle on work and life balancing and able to do the things I enjoy rather than grinding it out in a job I hate.

Many a business owners I have known struggle with retirement, in fact, I am even struggling with the term 'retirement' as to me it conjures up images of daytime tv and Werther's originals (shoot me now!). I have know a lot of busy types return to work as they simply cannot occupy enough of their time and brain activity without focus.

One person I know sold up and retired with a substantial amount of money. Within 18-24 months he had ticked off everything he wanted to do and didn't have a clue what to do with his time, regardless of how much money was still left in the bank account. He started a new business from scratch but it didn't quite have the same feel about it in his opinion.

It would great to be required and valued but without the day to day responsibility or dependency. I am exploring Non-Exec Board opportunities which might fill that void and still give an element of interest and activity without the constant need of responsibility.

Those are fair words, I had heard something slightly different as a phrase, no one on their death bed said 'they wish they spent less time with their family', but guess that depends on your family.

Answers on a postcard!

Retirement is a state of mind and a quest to be valued.


It's probably what you make of it but your skills might be useful as a volunteer for a local charity in an administrative role (eg. treasurer). And organisations like the National Trust rely on volunteers for all sort of functions, including work that is outdoors.

And you will probably be able to choose how little or much much time you volunteer.

It's a good form of social contact, and may be even more rewarding if you choose a charity whose cause you support.
[Post edited 8 Oct 16:15]
1
What would be your last job for retirement? on 16:13 - Oct 8 with 907 views_CliveBaker_

What would be your last job for retirement? on 08:39 - Oct 8 by baxterbasics

When I was a student I did part time delivery driving for Sainsbury's and actually really enjoyed it. If I was still physically able I wouldn't mind doing that as a semi-retirement gig. Doesn't pay all that much mind (basically the same as an instore shelf filler but with an extra 50p per hour 'skill bonus'). Though 15 to 20 years from now when I'm at that age, it may well be all automated/self drive anyway.


Retirement is some way off for me but my dad did a driving job in semi retirement. I think it was mostly courier drops for medical stuff. He liked it, wasn't too strenuous, company van and the hours were sociable. Basically rocked up in the morning and told where he was off to. Leeds one day, Swindon the next. Don't think he liked the London drops but he did it a few days per week for a couple of years and was a nice bit of income to delay pulling from his pension.
0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 18:09 - Oct 8 with 760 viewsGary_Knows

30 odd years for me, but my old man worked for the same company for 43 years and was fortunate enough to retire at 60 - which was 4 years ago now. Best thing he’s ever done, and quite frankly the best gardener and grandfather (and my old dear) that I could wish for! He had no interest in doing anything part time to pass time away, and to be fair, we and the kids keep him busy enough as is!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

2
What would be your last job for retirement? on 14:03 - Oct 9 with 438 viewsSwansea_Blue

What would be your last job for retirement? on 18:09 - Oct 8 by Gary_Knows

30 odd years for me, but my old man worked for the same company for 43 years and was fortunate enough to retire at 60 - which was 4 years ago now. Best thing he’s ever done, and quite frankly the best gardener and grandfather (and my old dear) that I could wish for! He had no interest in doing anything part time to pass time away, and to be fair, we and the kids keep him busy enough as is!


This is the thing. Everyone says you need a part time job or volunteering work to keep busy, but I haven’t found that (I’m fairly sure I’ve had my last job, but who knows). If you have family around or even still your own family commitments, or just a long list of hobbies that have been neglected for years, the last thing I’d want is to go looking for another job. If you fall into one through hobbies or friends, then fine. But there’s enough to do without having to report to someone else!

Poll: Escaped Goat of the day. Who’s it going to be?

1
What would be your last job for retirement? on 14:07 - Oct 9 with 433 viewsFreddies_Ears

What would be your last job for retirement? on 11:36 - Oct 8 by BlueBlueBluex2

I plan to milk my current role for all it’s worth, despite it bringing me no pleasure, outside of a strong salary.

I am planning to retire in 7 yrs at 58, despite friends and family telling me collectively how bored I will be.


If you're earning well, save as much as you can. That way, retirement will be a breeze.

I squeeze around 100 football matches & 50 gigs into a year, and most years get to travel at least around Europe a fair bit.
0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 14:12 - Oct 9 with 426 viewsFreddies_Ears

What would be your last job for retirement? on 15:51 - Oct 8 by Deano69

By way of counter balance, I am edging towards retirement, but totally fearing the whole thing.

I have always been busy and enjoy the cut and thrust of business. In context, that's as a business owner with a good handle on work and life balancing and able to do the things I enjoy rather than grinding it out in a job I hate.

Many a business owners I have known struggle with retirement, in fact, I am even struggling with the term 'retirement' as to me it conjures up images of daytime tv and Werther's originals (shoot me now!). I have know a lot of busy types return to work as they simply cannot occupy enough of their time and brain activity without focus.

One person I know sold up and retired with a substantial amount of money. Within 18-24 months he had ticked off everything he wanted to do and didn't have a clue what to do with his time, regardless of how much money was still left in the bank account. He started a new business from scratch but it didn't quite have the same feel about it in his opinion.

It would great to be required and valued but without the day to day responsibility or dependency. I am exploring Non-Exec Board opportunities which might fill that void and still give an element of interest and activity without the constant need of responsibility.

Those are fair words, I had heard something slightly different as a phrase, no one on their death bed said 'they wish they spent less time with their family', but guess that depends on your family.

Answers on a postcard!

Retirement is a state of mind and a quest to be valued.


Non exec posts are great - try to make the first one a big one, and then others will flow from it.
Another option is charity trustee, and there always seems to be demand for school governors.

I have a hobby that has become quite a major project, and gets me out & about a fair bit, giving talks etc. I've also turned a bit of the old day job into free consultancy for charities that I support.
1
What would be your last job for retirement? on 18:34 - Oct 9 with 313 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Finish when you want to.

Some have no life outside work. I remember Freddy Hall coming into work even though he was well into his '70's. He worked for nothing. He had nothing else to do.

I however was pleased to be made redundant at 58. I have loads to do. Dont have enough hours in the day.

If you have a plan then go for it. If not then stick with work until you do.

Not everything suits everybody.
2
What would be your last job for retirement? on 19:29 - Oct 9 with 264 viewsDubtractor

What would be your last job for retirement? on 08:47 - Oct 8 by Churchman

My advice to anyone is if or when you get the chance to retire, take it. For some, their work is their life and that’s great, but for many like me, it’s a job.

My last job before retirement was working on Brexit. I was asked to join one of the teams so I thought ‘why not?’. It was fascinating, hard work, stressful at times and I got to meet some interesting people and got involved in some fascinating stuff for two and a half years.

However, if in fantasyland I was able to replay that time, I’d have swapped those 2.5 years for retirement but given I promised myself never to work beyond 60 and walked away at 59, I’ve no complaints.


(this is in reply to this, plus Lowhouse's post)

A member of our team at work carried on working past 70, despite us continually telling him to enjoy his retirement with his wife, but he enjoyed doing his job and wanted to keep doing it.

He ended up getting cancer and dying without ever getting his retirement. Really horribly sad. Being at a funeral with all your work colleagues is a strange experience indeed.

It made me very determined that I would look to stop working, or at least go part time, as soon as I'm financially able to do so. Not having kids will make that easier than for most, though I'm only 50 at the mo, so it'll be a while yet. Ms Dub has gone part time recently as we could afford that.

I am already a pensioner though, with a deferred pension from a previous job kicking in when I turned 50.

Someone else in this thread mentioned getting their work pension then doing gardening - that would definitely appeal to me. That or voluntary work of some sort. Either something that I genuinely enjoy, or something that feels like it makes a difference for other people. I like my job and the team I work with, but it can be quite stressful at times and fill my brain when I'm not at work, which I'd like not to happen ideally! Basically I like my job, but I prefer the bit of my life when I'm not doing it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: Are we gonna win tomorrow then?

0
What would be your last job for retirement? on 03:34 - Oct 10 with 133 viewsChurchman

What would be your last job for retirement? on 15:12 - Oct 8 by lowhouseblue

a good friend worked on brexit in the treasury and died just recently. I don't know why i'm telling you that - it's just extremely sad.


That’s terribly sad. A good friend of mine retired at 59 and became seriously ill within 3 months of finishing. He is not going to get to enjoy retirement and this sort of event is always a reminder of how short time can be.

This thread is interesting. There are no rights and wrongs. For some, their work is their hobby. Others, not. Some people embrace it, others fear it etc etc. we are all different and that’s part of the fun of meeting people.

I am very much a switch on, switch off kind of person. If I do anything I commit 100% to it, so partial retirement would never have worked for me as it does for many. I have plenty of things to occupy me and I don’t have enough hours in the day.

The secret for me was to plan ahead for retirement, making sure I had enough money to do as I pleased. It was also a case of looking forward, not back. The next chapter and all that (apols for the cliche), which I tend to do by nature anyway.

As for the Treasury, it is completely connected to Parliament Street where HMRC were based, along with one or two others. The team I worked on was actually cross-government, but HMRC was our base for pay, rations and kit.

Finally, the line ‘nobody ever died saying I wish I’d worked harder’ rings very true for me. But not for everyone.
[Post edited 10 Oct 7:18]
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2026