Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? 13:37 - Jan 2 with 5693 viewshomer_123

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42542640

Genuine question.

And for the chaps of the board, do you get offended when called love or dear or pet by the opposite sex?

EDIT: I should state that the Tweeted response from Virgin is indeed crap, I'm asking more about the original situation.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2018 13:42]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:42 - Jan 2 with 4341 viewsSteve_M

Whilst obviously not female, the whole bantz thing in response to a customer complaint is pathetic from any company. To do so when the rail companies are about to get a - deserved - kicking for putting up fares is even more stupid.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:43 - Jan 2 with 4331 viewshomer_123

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:42 - Jan 2 by Steve_M

Whilst obviously not female, the whole bantz thing in response to a customer complaint is pathetic from any company. To do so when the rail companies are about to get a - deserved - kicking for putting up fares is even more stupid.

Oddly, just edited my OP as I was referring to the original comment, not the subsequent crap one from Virgin Trains.

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:51 - Jan 2 with 4302 viewsGeoffSentence

I hate to hear people using terms like honey, dear, pet or love. As the complainant point out they are patronising and demeaning.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:52 - Jan 2 with 4303 viewsBrixtonBlue

Can people not take a joke anymore (which this obviously is)? Probably misplaced but is it that big a deal? The person who wrote it may well get sacked - and the woman complaining must surely know this. Does she really want someone starting the new year out of work just because she can't take a joke? That's more pathetic IMO.

In answer to your question, I wouldn't get offended at any of those terms. My northern ex-housemate calls me pet all the time. No idea it was even offensive.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:54 - Jan 2 with 4288 viewsRyorry

As the woman in question said, it's entirely down to the context:-

"The first person to check my ticket was very abrasive. His response to my explaining the situation, politely and honestly, and that I wanted to complain, was 'you go ahead honey'.

"In the context and given his aggressive tone I can only assume he didn't like being challenged by a woman.

"I wouldn't have complained if he'd used the term in a familial or affectionate way. It definitely wasn't that."

I don't know about her point re "being challenged by a woman" tho - quite possibly he'd have been just as rude to a man, just used a different term to be unpleasant with. Sadly, some people are just like that.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Read it again on 13:55 - Jan 2 with 4283 viewsDyland

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:52 - Jan 2 by BrixtonBlue

Can people not take a joke anymore (which this obviously is)? Probably misplaced but is it that big a deal? The person who wrote it may well get sacked - and the woman complaining must surely know this. Does she really want someone starting the new year out of work just because she can't take a joke? That's more pathetic IMO.

In answer to your question, I wouldn't get offended at any of those terms. My northern ex-housemate calls me pet all the time. No idea it was even offensive.

She isn't bothered by being called "pet, love, etc" when the tone is friendly.

I call my female colleagues "love" all the time.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:56 - Jan 2 with 4278 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm offended by the gross stupidity of the response. How did they think that would go down? Idiots.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:56 - Jan 2 with 4275 viewsDyland

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:54 - Jan 2 by Ryorry

"The first person to check my ticket was very abrasive. His response to my explaining the situation, politely and honestly, and that I wanted to complain, was 'you go ahead honey'.

"In the context and given his aggressive tone I can only assume he didn't like being challenged by a woman.

"I wouldn't have complained if he'd used the term in a familial or affectionate way. It definitely wasn't that."

I don't know about her point re "being challenged by a woman" tho - quite possibly he'd have been just as rude to a man, just used a different term to be unpleasant with. Sadly, some people are just like that.

Indeed. He just sounds like a knob. If it was a man complaining he probably would have called them sweetcheeks or something.

Login to get fewer ads

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:58 - Jan 2 with 4263 viewsblueislander

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:54 - Jan 2 by Ryorry

Nearly every lady here of a certain age end their sentences with "my love"
[Post edited 2 Jan 2018 13:58]
To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:59 - Jan 2 with 4252 viewsDeano69

She did say - "I wouldn't have complained if he'd used the term in a familial or affectionate way. It definitely wasn't that."

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:01 - Jan 2 with 4244 viewschicoazul

MY OUTRAGE WELL IS INFINITE I WILL GET OFFENDED ON ANYONE'S BEHALF FOR ANYTHING

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Read it again on 14:02 - Jan 2 with 4231 viewschicoazul

Read it again on 13:55 - Jan 2 by Dyland

She isn't bothered by being called "pet, love, etc" when the tone is friendly.

I call my female colleagues "love" all the time.

"cup of tea no sugar luv there's a good girl" says Dyland as he pats Stacey from accounts on the arse.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Read it again on 14:03 - Jan 2 with 4215 viewsDyland

Read it again on 14:02 - Jan 2 by chicoazul

"cup of tea no sugar luv there's a good girl" says Dyland as he pats Stacey from accounts on the arse.

Oh god, we work in the same office.

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:04 - Jan 2 with 4210 viewsstig4532

I'm a male and I'm regularly called "love" or "lovely" by people calling the office. It doesn't bother me the slightest.
To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:10 - Jan 2 with 4180 viewsDyland

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:04 - Jan 2 by stig4532

I'm a male and I'm regularly called "love" or "lovely" by people calling the office. It doesn't bother me the slightest.

Are these callers random members of the public, or are they your clients? It sounds like an old school theatrical agency :)

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:10 - Jan 2 with 4175 viewshomer_123

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:56 - Jan 2 by J2BLUE

I'm offended by the gross stupidity of the response. How did they think that would go down? Idiots.

Indeed.

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:16 - Jan 2 with 4157 viewshomer_123

Context is indeed everything here.

However, a scenario:

Said train company employee reguargly uses the word Honey, Pet Love et al - in his/ her daily life (it's the way he/ she was brought up etc./ generational thing etc.)

If this person uses those terms all the time, then should the lady be offended by the use of the term just because the person was rude? Surely, she should be upset about the person being rude and not by the use of the word honey, in this situation?

I'm not excusing this by the way.

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:26 - Jan 2 with 4119 viewsSomethingBlue

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 13:52 - Jan 2 by BrixtonBlue

Far better for the person tweeting behind the corporate handle to consider their tone though. Think people are fed up in general of brands pretending to be their mates — but in the case of the trains, on this particular day, it's even worse!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:30 - Jan 2 with 4093 viewsBrixtonBlue

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:26 - Jan 2 by SomethingBlue

Far better for the person tweeting behind the corporate handle to consider their tone though. Think people are fed up in general of brands pretending to be their mates — but in the case of the trains, on this particular day, it's even worse!

Yeah, as I said it was misplaced. Really worth the fuss and a front page story on the BBC news website?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:33 - Jan 2 with 4081 viewsMullet

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:26 - Jan 2 by SomethingBlue

I think that's the thing with social media. If you're a brand then talk like one. The worst offenders being betting sites and JOE et al. who all sound like they're the characters that didn't quite make the cut in the Inbetweeners.

I do think though a lot of people are happy to seize on social media interactions to kick up a bit of a fuss though. A lot of these stories are the equivalent of local news running with "bus was late today, people got wet waiting for it and grumbled" yet somehow they get national coverage as make cheap padding of content.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:34 - Jan 2 with 4075 viewsRyorry

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:16 - Jan 2 by homer_123

Context is indeed everything here.

However, a scenario:

Said train company employee reguargly uses the word Honey, Pet Love et al - in his/ her daily life (it's the way he/ she was brought up etc./ generational thing etc.)

If this person uses those terms all the time, then should the lady be offended by the use of the term just because the person was rude? Surely, she should be upset about the person being rude and not by the use of the word honey, in this situation?

I'm not excusing this by the way.

What we don't know is tone of voice, any emphasis on the various words, body language etc - I'd have thought she was going by the sum of the parts.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:47 - Jan 2 with 4032 viewsstig4532

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:10 - Jan 2 by Dyland

Are these callers random members of the public, or are they your clients? It sounds like an old school theatrical agency :)

Ha! No, they're staff members wishing to book shifts. Just over-friendly I guess
To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:48 - Jan 2 with 4026 viewsDyland

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:47 - Jan 2 by stig4532

Ha! No, they're staff members wishing to book shifts. Just over-friendly I guess

Very friendly and simply appreciate your excellent assistance no doubt :)

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 15:01 - Jan 2 with 3981 viewshomer_123

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 14:34 - Jan 2 by Ryorry

What we don't know is tone of voice, any emphasis on the various words, body language etc - I'd have thought she was going by the sum of the parts.

I think you are spot on Ryorry.

The reason I asked the above is this, what happens if the use of the word 'honey' is replaced with the persons name?

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 15:04 - Jan 2 with 3966 viewsDyland

To our female fans, would you be offended in this situ? on 15:01 - Jan 2 by homer_123

I think you are spot on Ryorry.

The reason I asked the above is this, what happens if the use of the word 'honey' is replaced with the persons name?

Well if that happened there would be a long pause, and as the camera zooms in and an ominous soundtrack begins she would say quietly but insistently, "how do you know my name?"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024