Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly 20:46 - May 24 with 5499 viewsitfcjoe

Recruitment is often as much about luck than judgement.

Better to be a lucky general rather than a good one etc.

Let's hope if Evans can get Hurst tied up, he gets a bit of luck

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:51 - May 24 with 4397 viewsReuser_is_God

I really hope the dithering doesn’t come back to bite Evans.
[Post edited 24 May 2018 20:51]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:52 - May 24 with 4387 viewschicoazul

4th choice, this is the first time I have ever heard this, who were the other 3?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:54 - May 24 with 4373 viewswkj

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:52 - May 24 by chicoazul

4th choice, this is the first time I have ever heard this, who were the other 3?

Pardew, McClaren then Hughes

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:57 - May 24 with 4346 viewsLord_Lucan

I never knew that - where did you hear that from?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:58 - May 24 with 4348 viewsPJH

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:52 - May 24 by chicoazul

Frank O'Farrell
Billy Bingham
Jimmy Scouler

First two certainly and third one probably.
Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:58 - May 24 with 4341 viewsitfcjoe

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:57 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

There was a newspaper cutting I saw recently saying we'd been turned down by at least 2 definitely and possibly 1 more.

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:59 - May 24 with 4335 viewswkj

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:58 - May 24 by PJH

Frank O'Farrell
Billy Bingham
Jimmy Scouler

First two certainly and third one probably.

So by that logic, Parker could well be our man...

1. Hurst
2. Ross
3. Lampard
4. Parker

Crybaby

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:03 - May 24 with 4310 viewsBryanPlug

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:57 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:04 - May 24 with 4313 viewsitfcjoe

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/a-boss-devoted-to-his-club-1668940

Only given the nod in 1969 after leading candidates Billy Bingham and Frank O'Farrell rejected offers to succeed Bill McGarry, it was as if fate had intervened to the extent that Robson and Ipswich were meant for each other.

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:04 - May 24 with 4305 viewsLord_Lucan

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:58 - May 24 by itfcjoe

There was a newspaper cutting I saw recently saying we'd been turned down by at least 2 definitely and possibly 1 more.

Do we know who they might have been?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:10 - May 24 with 4269 viewsBloomBlue

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:04 - May 24 by itfcjoe

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/a-boss-devoted-to-his-club-1668940

Only given the nod in 1969 after leading candidates Billy Bingham and Frank O'Farrell rejected offers to succeed Bill McGarry, it was as if fate had intervened to the extent that Robson and Ipswich were meant for each other.

I remember Town wanted Bingham and fans were upset when he rejected us, but obviously no snowflakes in these days going into meltdown, dont recall O'Farrell being offered it.
Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:14 - May 24 with 4250 viewsDarth_Koont

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:59 - May 24 by wkj

1. Hurst
2. Ross
3. Lampard
4. Parker

It's Parker and Nash defo.

With the added advantage of sounding like a hard-nosed, jaded detective duo (Parker's trying to get back with his wife and family, Nash is using alcohol to "manage" his PTSD over a drug bust gone wrong).

Give it the green light, Marcus.

Pronouns: He/Him

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:21 - May 24 with 4217 viewsVic

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:51 - May 24 by Reuser_is_God

One mans dithering is another mans determination.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:22 - May 24 with 4201 viewswkj

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:14 - May 24 by Darth_Koont

It's Parker and Nash defo.

With the added advantage of sounding like a hard-nosed, jaded detective duo (Parker's trying to get back with his wife and family, Nash is using alcohol to "manage" his PTSD over a drug bust gone wrong).

Give it the green light, Marcus.

I like the sound of that actually
Parker and Nash - Ace defectives

Crybaby

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:26 - May 24 with 4193 viewsElderGrizzly

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:51 - May 24 by Reuser_is_God

There is no evidence Evans is dithering though.

Phil seems to confirm again today, Hurst was always first choice and he has purely looked at alternatives maybe incase that doesn’t come off?

He has spoken to Hurst and his representatives apparently too, albeit a few weeks ago
Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:28 - May 24 with 4170 viewsKieran_Knows

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:26 - May 24 by ElderGrizzly

Phil seems to confirm again today, Hurst was always first choice and he has purely looked at alternatives maybe incase that doesn’t come off?

He has spoken to Hurst and his representatives apparently too, albeit a few weeks ago

Just got to hope, that Hurst rocks up here next week. Lose on Sunday, and I’m sure he’ll be our manager come Wednesday afternoon. Win, and I’m not so sure we’ll get him at all.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:35 - May 24 with 4153 viewstextbackup

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 20:59 - May 24 by wkj

1. Hurst
2. Ross
3. Lampard
4. Parker

At least there’s a Fulham link

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:42 - May 24 with 4136 viewsTheBlueBarca

Bobby Robson just from his record as a player had more qualifications than most of the front runners we have had mentioned here, played for England and had an established goalscoring career in England's top flight even if he never won a major honour in that time.Jack Ross was pretty naff at Hartlepool and played a game for Scotland's B Team and Paul Hurst played for Rotherham for 15 years, never kicking a ball in the top flight.

Puts the two in perspective a bit, obviously not all great players end up great managers but it does help to have the experience and connections in England's top flight if you are serious about making a success of it. Just look at Lyall, Burley and Royle here. They all had won major honours and established top flight runs in England as players before converting to management.

I don't think we should be crying over missing out on Ross or Hurst just yet, as you say, there may be a diamond in that mix we never expected.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

All a storm in a teacup on 21:43 - May 24 with 4129 viewsDyland

We'll still be ITFC.

Everyone with their knickers in a twist should do it in private.

Oh, the internet exists...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:44 - May 24 with 4129 viewsVic

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:28 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

Just got to hope, that Hurst rocks up here next week. Lose on Sunday, and I’m sure he’ll be our manager come Wednesday afternoon. Win, and I’m not so sure we’ll get him at all.

I really don’t think we’d be waiting and letting the likes of Ross slip away if we didn’t have pretty solid reason to expect him to come regardless of the result on Sunday.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:57 - May 24 with 4081 viewsDarth_Koont

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:44 - May 24 by Vic

I really don’t think we’d be waiting and letting the likes of Ross slip away if we didn’t have pretty solid reason to expect him to come regardless of the result on Sunday.

There's also — and this may sound a bit Zen — the point of trusting the process.

Yes, over a 4-5 week window, candidates may appear and then be lost. But I think our chances are better with that wide window than snapping up the first candidate that feels right.

Ross may well be a miss but I still prefer this approach to the previous ones. And I think it's hugely important that Evans gets a full view of the marketplace. Maybe that will help him not only make a good decision now but also the right decisions when the next manager is a season or two into the project.

Pronouns: He/Him

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 22:08 - May 24 with 4041 viewsPhilTWTD

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:26 - May 24 by ElderGrizzly

I suppose I implied that he was always the first choice with my answer to Lucan earlier, but that's not precisely how I have seen it. I think Hurst was the man to beat from virtually the start but it was still an open race, if that makes any sense. As it was I think Ross probably would have got the nod having impressed in the interview process had Sunderland not come in.

Think it's been evident for some time that Town have a very good idea of how formal talks with Hurst and Shrewsbury will progress. Doubt they will drag on very long.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 22:08 - May 24 with 4030 viewsKieran_Knows

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:44 - May 24 by Vic

I think you’re probably right, but a part of me thinks he may show a bit of loyalty and stay should he win promotion with them.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 22:19 - May 24 with 3982 viewsPJH

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:10 - May 24 by BloomBlue

I remember Town wanted Bingham and fans were upset when he rejected us, but obviously no snowflakes in these days going into meltdown, dont recall O'Farrell being offered it.

O'Farrell turned us down because he said that there was no potential,instead he went to Leicester and they got relegated-also made the F.A. Cup Final though.

edit-we actually played and beat Leicester at PR last game of that 1968/69 season and as a win for them would have kept them up we effectively confirmed their relegation.
The chant from the North Stand of which in those long ago days I was one was "no potential".
[Post edited 24 May 2018 22:32]
Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 22:21 - May 24 with 3974 viewsDyland

Bobby Robson was 4th choice if I remember correctly on 21:42 - May 24 by TheBlueBarca

Bobby Robson just from his record as a player had more qualifications than most of the front runners we have had mentioned here, played for England and had an established goalscoring career in England's top flight even if he never won a major honour in that time.Jack Ross was pretty naff at Hartlepool and played a game for Scotland's B Team and Paul Hurst played for Rotherham for 15 years, never kicking a ball in the top flight.

Puts the two in perspective a bit, obviously not all great players end up great managers but it does help to have the experience and connections in England's top flight if you are serious about making a success of it. Just look at Lyall, Burley and Royle here. They all had won major honours and established top flight runs in England as players before converting to management.

I don't think we should be crying over missing out on Ross or Hurst just yet, as you say, there may be a diamond in that mix we never expected.

Indeed, we just don't know.

Plenty of time to get our knickers in a twist when the season starts, whoever is at the helm :)

To be fair, it's the hope and expectation that kills. Plenty of fans including myself have been ambivalent about the new manager appointment even though we've wanted a change, because Evans just hasn't filled us with confidence. But he's done the interview, done the spin, said good things, and most fans (except for some blathering loons on Facebook) have taken it at face value and thought nice one, we're rolling the dice and looking to appoint someone exciting. So as soon as there's even the smallest perceived setback it's a bit deflating. That's human nature, brought into micro analytical naval gazing with warts and all on the internet.

Deep breaths everyone. We'll still be here whatever happens. It's not that big a deal.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024