Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If this is true then it is a disgrace.... 13:21 - Jul 16 with 4500 viewsitfcjoe

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/david-mcgoldrick-to-join-sheffield-united-on-trial-1

The Sheffield Star reports that Blades boss Chris Wilder has spoken at length to former Town manager Mick McCarthy about the front man’s numerous niggles, with McCarthy advising that they were exacerbated by a three hour commute from his family home in Nottingham.

If we were allowing a player on £20k a week to commute that far, which made his injuries worse then what on earth are we playing at?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:23 - Jul 16 with 4012 viewsReuser_is_God

I thought that when I read it.

It can’t be true though surely? Maybe every now & then he’d travel back after a few days with his family etc but I doubt he done this on a daily basis.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:25 - Jul 16 with 3970 viewsKieran_Knows

Did he do his rehab at the club when he was injured?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:26 - Jul 16 with 3948 viewsBluefish

If his contract doesn't state that he has to live nearby not much can be done. It is very common for footballers to commute for a couple of hours. He also had a flat near Ipswich

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:26 - Jul 16 with 3950 viewsJimmyJazz

RK would never have allowed that kind of situation

If true it sounds like McGoldrick basically did whatever he liked

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:27 - Jul 16 with 3960 viewsPhilTWTD

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:23 - Jul 16 by Reuser_is_God

I thought that when I read it.

It can’t be true though surely? Maybe every now & then he’d travel back after a few days with his family etc but I doubt he done this on a daily basis.

Of course not daily, he had a flat in town. I seem to recall Luke Varney saying he was staying there during one of Didzy's longer spells out. However, travelling backwards and forwards a couple of times a week can't help, other players have said similar when playing a distance away from their family homes, which isn't uncommon in football.

Found Varney story:

Varney Stepping into McGoldrick's Shoes 20th Aug 2016 06:00
Luke Varney has revealed how he is stepping into the shoes of injured Town star David McGoldrick in more ways than one. 13

This post has been edited by an administrator
If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:32 - Jul 16 with 3865 viewsDanFord

I think it's obvious that Mick's approach was very much to treat every player as a grown up and not manage them to closely. If I recall we let the over 25's do whatever they wanted in the gym didn't we because they 'knew their bodies'. Whilst this would have created a very good camp with players being loyal to Mick because they knew how good they had it, you have to question his ability to get the extra 10% needed from the players, who initially in the first few years gave everything but then didn't seem to give as much. It's like your boss saying it's okay to use your phone at work. I get the impression Mick was more a 'if you want to send texts, or look at TWTD or watch Netflix you can' because he thought it was good for morale, whereas Hurst seems a more 'you're here to work, so work and use your phone at breaks' type.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:37 - Jul 16 with 3794 viewshype313

You do get the impression now with Hurst in charge that under Mick it was all a bit pedestrian, bit all too easy going. And that's understandable if the remit from the top was for Mick to just make us competitive in the league an not go down, the whole ethos from top to bottom was not to reach for the stars.

Hopefully going forward things will have a bit of a shake up and Hurst's contract is performance related to a certain degree.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:41 - Jul 16 with 3741 viewsGarv

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:37 - Jul 16 by hype313

You do get the impression now with Hurst in charge that under Mick it was all a bit pedestrian, bit all too easy going. And that's understandable if the remit from the top was for Mick to just make us competitive in the league an not go down, the whole ethos from top to bottom was not to reach for the stars.

Hopefully going forward things will have a bit of a shake up and Hurst's contract is performance related to a certain degree.

Ambition has not been a word I would associate with the club with in recent years, sadly.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 14:29 - Jul 16 with 3483 viewsNo9

It isn't just this that brings into question MM's football management in the modern era is it?
If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 14:50 - Jul 16 with 3367 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 13:32 - Jul 16 by DanFord

I think it's obvious that Mick's approach was very much to treat every player as a grown up and not manage them to closely. If I recall we let the over 25's do whatever they wanted in the gym didn't we because they 'knew their bodies'. Whilst this would have created a very good camp with players being loyal to Mick because they knew how good they had it, you have to question his ability to get the extra 10% needed from the players, who initially in the first few years gave everything but then didn't seem to give as much. It's like your boss saying it's okay to use your phone at work. I get the impression Mick was more a 'if you want to send texts, or look at TWTD or watch Netflix you can' because he thought it was good for morale, whereas Hurst seems a more 'you're here to work, so work and use your phone at breaks' type.

Seen a lot of comments on here like this lately, which I find bizarre quite frankly

If there’s one thing you can’t criticise Micks teams here for it was their work rate and effort - unfortunately the quality was rarely at the same level which is where the problems lied

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 14:57 - Jul 16 with 3325 viewsRyorry

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 14:50 - Jul 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Seen a lot of comments on here like this lately, which I find bizarre quite frankly

If there’s one thing you can’t criticise Micks teams here for it was their work rate and effort - unfortunately the quality was rarely at the same level which is where the problems lied

You could (and many people did) criticise their fitness, the injury rates, and recovery from injuries generally though.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 14:58 - Jul 16 with 3304 viewsHerbivore

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 14:50 - Jul 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

This. We were known for our work ethic and it's not like Mick has a reputation for being a big softy that tolerates slackers. In fact when he was still here people were suggesting that part of the reason we get so many injuries is because of working the players too hard. It's all very odd how there's still a deep need in some to make stuff up to criticise him for. People need to move on and get over it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:03 - Jul 16 with 3263 viewsDarth_Koont

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 14:57 - Jul 16 by Ryorry

You could (and many people did) criticise their fitness, the injury rates, and recovery from injuries generally though.

Actually, many people were saying they were worked too hard hence the injuries. Now, I'm not saying Hurst won't have a different and healthier approach here but he prides himself on working players a lot harder than they're used to.

Whatever the whys and wherefores, there seems to be a need to turn MM and PH into diametrical opposites when it hardly seems the case. Personally, I hope Hurst can build on the attributes Mick did bring to the squad like workrate and togetherness but get us playing a bit more. That last "tweak" on its own is difficult enough in this league so he'll be a great appointment if he can manage that.

Pronouns: He/Him

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:14 - Jul 16 with 3186 viewsRyorry

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:03 - Jul 16 by Darth_Koont

Actually, many people were saying they were worked too hard hence the injuries. Now, I'm not saying Hurst won't have a different and healthier approach here but he prides himself on working players a lot harder than they're used to.

Whatever the whys and wherefores, there seems to be a need to turn MM and PH into diametrical opposites when it hardly seems the case. Personally, I hope Hurst can build on the attributes Mick did bring to the squad like workrate and togetherness but get us playing a bit more. That last "tweak" on its own is difficult enough in this league so he'll be a great appointment if he can manage that.

I didn't make a judgement myself. Did those "many people" saying they were "worked too hard hence the injuries" include anybody behind the scenes who would actually have been in the know?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:14 - Jul 16 with 3187 viewsitfcjoe

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:03 - Jul 16 by Darth_Koont

Plus, use sports science to try and keep players fitter.

Whilst Mick worked them hard, feels as though Hurst will work them hard and smart.

There was the story about how Downes and Nydam were being overworked in eyes of England medical staff, and I've heard from a player that any fit first teamer was banned from the gym as Mick didn't like it, plus Andy liddell saying those over 25 can look after themselves.

All paints a picture that methods were dated and needed bringing forwards

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:20 - Jul 16 with 3145 viewsDanFord

I disagree. In the first 3 seasons Mick's teams would run through a wall for him. We were hard to beat, hard to score against and we closed teams down all over the pitch. The last 2.5 years there was a huge drop off. Giving teams space, conceding silly goals, basic errors and Mick never addressed these. We were exceptionally hard working at the start but by the end we were a shadow of the hard to beat sides of 2014 / 15.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:22 - Jul 16 with 3127 viewsDarth_Koont

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:14 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Plus, use sports science to try and keep players fitter.

Whilst Mick worked them hard, feels as though Hurst will work them hard and smart.

There was the story about how Downes and Nydam were being overworked in eyes of England medical staff, and I've heard from a player that any fit first teamer was banned from the gym as Mick didn't like it, plus Andy liddell saying those over 25 can look after themselves.

All paints a picture that methods were dated and needed bringing forwards

I think that's reading things a certain way. For instance, I read the Liddell quote more as that he trusts the feedback from players over a certain age. And it was only re: certain exercises so it wasn't as if they were training on their own. This is also the Liddell I believe we tried to keep on even after Mick had left.

But it sounds as if Hurst is more reliant on science (or at least talks about it more). That's a good thing.

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:29 - Jul 16 with 3053 viewsitfcjoe

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:22 - Jul 16 by Darth_Koont

I think that's reading things a certain way. For instance, I read the Liddell quote more as that he trusts the feedback from players over a certain age. And it was only re: certain exercises so it wasn't as if they were training on their own. This is also the Liddell I believe we tried to keep on even after Mick had left.

But it sounds as if Hurst is more reliant on science (or at least talks about it more). That's a good thing.

We were one of the only pro clubs not to use GPS monitors in pre season too, that stuff should be fairly basic - I'm pretty sure the academy used them but first team didn't

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:37 - Jul 16 with 2985 viewsNo9

Hmmm!, there several players in the starting 11 who didn't touch the ball much & certainly didn't run after it a lot.
The other telling thing was how many players MM said needed to come off circa 1 hour as they were knackered?

There were always questions about fitness from Towns ex pro's players who said playign 3 games a week shouldn't be a problem for fit players.

?????
If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:45 - Jul 16 with 2931 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:20 - Jul 16 by DanFord

I disagree. In the first 3 seasons Mick's teams would run through a wall for him. We were hard to beat, hard to score against and we closed teams down all over the pitch. The last 2.5 years there was a huge drop off. Giving teams space, conceding silly goals, basic errors and Mick never addressed these. We were exceptionally hard working at the start but by the end we were a shadow of the hard to beat sides of 2014 / 15.

For me that’s as simple as the fact that Berra began to age and we struggled to replace him. I think you’re looking to hard for things to criticise - if we hadn’t have continued to work hard then we would have been in danger of relegation, as it was literally the thing we did best

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:53 - Jul 16 with 2883 viewsDarth_Koont

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:14 - Jul 16 by Ryorry

I didn't make a judgement myself. Did those "many people" saying they were "worked too hard hence the injuries" include anybody behind the scenes who would actually have been in the know?

No idea. Doubt it.

Also no-one could explain why we had a crisis in central midfield while the rest of the squad seemed to do comparatively well with injuries. Almost as if it was a bit random. The new physio confirmed that many were freak injuries that they couldn't legislate against.

Like anything in a void of information and real first-hand knowledge and experience these things can tend to be blown out of all proportion.

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 16:00 - Jul 16 with 2853 viewsitfcjoe

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:53 - Jul 16 by Darth_Koont

No idea. Doubt it.

Also no-one could explain why we had a crisis in central midfield while the rest of the squad seemed to do comparatively well with injuries. Almost as if it was a bit random. The new physio confirmed that many were freak injuries that they couldn't legislate against.

Like anything in a void of information and real first-hand knowledge and experience these things can tend to be blown out of all proportion.

There was also an injury crisis at centre back early in the season - it wasn't just the midfield issue

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 16:01 - Jul 16 with 2834 viewsDarth_Koont

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 15:29 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

We were one of the only pro clubs not to use GPS monitors in pre season too, that stuff should be fairly basic - I'm pretty sure the academy used them but first team didn't

I don't know why. Maybe as one of the hardest working teams already and after years together they didn't feel the same need.

I'm not doubting things can be improved. For instance, I think there might be an issue with abortive comebacks over the years and this could be managed better. But I don't have the specifics or the knowledge to make that case.

If Hurst is much more driven by the science and getting to the bottom of these issues then hopefully now we can be confident we're doing all we can.

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 16:05 - Jul 16 with 2808 viewsDarth_Koont

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 16:00 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

There was also an injury crisis at centre back early in the season - it wasn't just the midfield issue

Yes, Webster and Smith. That happens especially when we only really had Chambers as the other CB.

Nothing like the weight of bodies in central midfield even if many already had injury concerns before last season.

If this is true then it is a disgrace.... on 16:13 - Jul 16 with 2764 viewsWadeyBlue

When he first signed he was living with wife and kids near ravenswood. A mate of mine used to talk to him on the school run.

Reckon after the Leicester bid his family moved back up to the midlands.

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024