Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should the goals be smaller in women's football? 15:23 - Jan 9 with 2340 viewsitfcjoe

Just watched the highlights below from the ITFC - Spurs U21 game (below), which is obviously a very high standard for the girls game. Game finished 2-2 but 3 of the goals were directly from FKs, all decent strikes but 2 of them are just high shots into the goal that the keeper can't get to. Not particularly powerful, but from 35-40 yards out.

Have felt this before when watching the highlights, even into the professional game and at the major tournaments - so many goals are just efforts that go high into the goal without being particularly accurate.

I guess logistically it's very difficult to have smaller pitches and smaller goals, but physiologically it would make sense

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:26 - Jan 9 with 1945 viewsChrisd

Yes, without a doubt. Same in junior football, a 13 year old playing in a full-sized goal is just ludicrous, but it probably comes down to logistics and costings why it doesn't occur.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:26 - Jan 9 with 1944 viewsKieran_Knows

Don't say too much Joe, your old mate from Twitter will be on to you .....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:31 - Jan 9 with 1909 viewsStokieBlue

Surely teams would just game the system and find the biggest keeper they could? Agility wouldn't really matter if the keeper was bigger and the goals were smaller.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:31 - Jan 9 with 1913 viewsitfcjoe

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:26 - Jan 9 by Chrisd

Yes, without a doubt. Same in junior football, a 13 year old playing in a full-sized goal is just ludicrous, but it probably comes down to logistics and costings why it doesn't occur.

They've gone away from that in junior football now as much as they can. Just saw a stat that average height in UK for M v F is 5'9 v 5'3 - that is a massive difference and standard deviation etc will mean there is very few 6ft women to choose from, which realistically is the minimum height you need to be to play in an 8ft goal

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:32 - Jan 9 with 1890 viewsbadadski

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:26 - Jan 9 by Kieran_Knows

Don't say too much Joe, your old mate from Twitter will be on to you .....

It helps and hinders both teams so doesn't really make any difference.

It gets players used to what they will end up playing on also and increases fitness.

I remember playing for my Cub/scout team on one of the pitches on Humberdoucy lane and it was a smaller pitch - Subuteo pitch it used to be nicknamed. i Scored from a defensive clearance though which is not really what should be achievable to a 11 year old because it was so small.
Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:34 - Jan 9 with 1885 viewsitfcjoe

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:31 - Jan 9 by StokieBlue

Surely teams would just game the system and find the biggest keeper they could? Agility wouldn't really matter if the keeper was bigger and the goals were smaller.

SB

I don't mean play in 5 a side goals - but when you look at the average height of male vs female it would scale the goals down from 8' in height to about 7'5.

Not a massive difference, but would stop the amount of loopy shots that go in because the keepers aren't tall enough.

I remember playing junior football and we'd sometimes play in full size goals - anyone who could hit the top half of the goal from 20 yards would score a hatful

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:36 - Jan 9 with 1868 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah but it evens out as girls can’t usually kick the ball off the floor...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:38 - Jan 9 with 1863 viewsitfcjoe

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:32 - Jan 9 by badadski

It helps and hinders both teams so doesn't really make any difference.

It gets players used to what they will end up playing on also and increases fitness.

I remember playing for my Cub/scout team on one of the pitches on Humberdoucy lane and it was a smaller pitch - Subuteo pitch it used to be nicknamed. i Scored from a defensive clearance though which is not really what should be achievable to a 11 year old because it was so small.

Playing on smaller pitches is better for young players - stops those that are physcially developed earlier just being able to totally dominate.

I wonder what age males are on average 5'3, maybe 13-14 - when they should still be playing on smaller pitches with smaller goals (7ft) as per FA guidelines

Login to get fewer ads

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:38 - Jan 9 with 1863 viewsChrisd

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:31 - Jan 9 by itfcjoe

They've gone away from that in junior football now as much as they can. Just saw a stat that average height in UK for M v F is 5'9 v 5'3 - that is a massive difference and standard deviation etc will mean there is very few 6ft women to choose from, which realistically is the minimum height you need to be to play in an 8ft goal

Naturally, in junior football the goal size varies up until U12s and then from U13s upwards it's a full-sized goal which is plain daft in my view. When you look at your link Joe for the girl's U21 match against Spurs the goalkeepers look minute, anything of a decent height they are going to struggle with. That's then not a reflection of their goalkeeping capability, but their physicality.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 15:41]

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:39 - Jan 9 with 1848 viewsitfcjoe

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:38 - Jan 9 by Chrisd

Naturally, in junior football the goal size varies up until U12s and then from U13s upwards it's a full-sized goal which is plain daft in my view. When you look at your link Joe for the girl's U21 match against Spurs the goalkeepers look minute, anything of a decent height they are going to struggle with. That's then not a reflection of their goalkeeping capability, but their physicality.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 15:41]

I saw something from the Chelsea ladies manager, she thinks the size of the goals exposes the GK weaknesses rather than showing off their strengths - hard to disagree. The only type of GK who can be a success, looking at male types is the tall lanky one.

A Pickford type keeper, who is the men's number 1, wouldn't stand a chance as would be too small

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:41 - Jan 9 with 1843 viewsTangledupin_Blue

The crossbar should be one-and-one-third the height of the goalkeeper and the goal width three times the gk's height.

Thus a 6ft gk would have a goal 18ft wide and 8ft high
A 5'3" gk would have a goal 15'9" x 7'0".

For away games goalkeepers should take their own made-to-measure goals with them strapped to the side of the team bus.

Laurie Sivell would have been unbeatable.

Edit: 7ft, not 7'2".
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 15:58]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 16:01 - Jan 9 with 1775 viewsgobs93

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:31 - Jan 9 by StokieBlue

SB

On that logic, Tomas Holy should be a world beater
Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 16:17 - Jan 9 with 1734 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yep

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 16:21 - Jan 9 with 1709 viewsPhilTWTD

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:39 - Jan 9 by itfcjoe

I saw something from the Chelsea ladies manager, she thinks the size of the goals exposes the GK weaknesses rather than showing off their strengths - hard to disagree. The only type of GK who can be a success, looking at male types is the tall lanky one.

A Pickford type keeper, who is the men's number 1, wouldn't stand a chance as would be too small

There was an argument a few years back that goals in men's football should be made bigger as men were now in general bigger than when the sizes were set. I seem to remember Peter Shilton being particularly angered by the suggestion.

Can certainly see your argument re women's football and think it's much better that youth football is played on smaller pitches and in smaller goals having played on full-size pitches and full-size goals from the age of seven.
Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 16:27 - Jan 9 with 1681 viewsBackToRussia

Definitely, it ruins any sense of drama because it's just too easy to score. I can't see the argument for keeping it as it is.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Wasn't that Mike Parry's suggestion though....? on 16:27 - Jan 9 with 1682 viewsBloots

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 16:21 - Jan 9 by PhilTWTD

There was an argument a few years back that goals in men's football should be made bigger as men were now in general bigger than when the sizes were set. I seem to remember Peter Shilton being particularly angered by the suggestion.

Can certainly see your argument re women's football and think it's much better that youth football is played on smaller pitches and in smaller goals having played on full-size pitches and full-size goals from the age of seven.

....he also said that Race Horses should have wing mirrors and that one day someone would run the 100m in less than a second.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Wasn't that Mike Parry's suggestion though....? on 16:29 - Jan 9 with 1671 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Wasn't that Mike Parry's suggestion though....? on 16:27 - Jan 9 by Bloots

....he also said that Race Horses should have wing mirrors and that one day someone would run the 100m in less than a second.

Wasn't that Mike Parry?

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 16:29 - Jan 9 with 1670 viewsChrisd

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 15:39 - Jan 9 by itfcjoe

I certainly think that's a fair comment from the Chelsea manager. It must be quite demoralising for a keeper up against an opponent who can strike a good ball from distance and get some height on it.

Yeah, that's what I said. (n/t) on 16:31 - Jan 9 with 1658 viewsBloots

Wasn't that Mike Parry's suggestion though....? on 16:29 - Jan 9 by Tangledupin_Blue

Wasn't that Mike Parry?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Wasn't that Mike Parry's suggestion though....? on 16:33 - Jan 9 with 1649 viewsPhilTWTD

Wasn't that Mike Parry's suggestion though....? on 16:27 - Jan 9 by Bloots

The story I remember was some while before Mike Parry had any prominence.

If race horses had wings they might be able to do 100m in less than a second, though.
Aaaah! (n/t) on 16:37 - Jan 9 with 1622 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Yeah, that's what I said. (n/t) on 16:31 - Jan 9 by Bloots

Aaaah! (n/t) on 16:38 - Jan 9 with 1612 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Aaaah! (n/t) on 16:37 - Jan 9 by Tangledupin_Blue

Don't know what happened there...

Should the goals be smaller in women's football? on 16:53 - Jan 9 with 1584 viewsElderGrizzly

Nah, just make the ball bigger :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024