Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m 14:33 - Mar 1 with 14890 viewsjasondozzell

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/the-verdict-blackpool-2-ipswich-town-1-1-6539568

Football has been better under Lambert although he's made mistakes with postponing games and the ill fated rotation. But we do play better football, just seem to lack the ruthlessness required.

Players too comfortable again? I'm beginning to think Hurst was right to try and shake things up but encountered players used to having too much influence under Mick as proper blokes etc.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 14:36]
Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:36 - Mar 1 with 6718 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

It is the Owner, the manager and the players.

All sub standard

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:37 - Mar 1 with 6712 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't understand this too much influence under MM thing. MM had clear demands if you wanted to be in his team. If you met those demands you played. If you didn't, you didn't play. Seems to be a bit of a myth that he had his favourites who had too much power.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:38 - Mar 1 with 6699 viewsPJH

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:37 - Mar 1 by J2BLUE

I don't understand this too much influence under MM thing. MM had clear demands if you wanted to be in his team. If you met those demands you played. If you didn't, you didn't play. Seems to be a bit of a myth that he had his favourites who had too much power.

Agree, MM tended to favour the players that deserved to be in the team just like most good managers do.
Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:39 - Mar 1 with 6695 viewsthebooks

I like Stuart Watson’s pieces but disagree about the cause of this “comfort” and “acceptance”. When Lee O’Neill is explaining we may need to wait a few seasons before promotion, or when there’s little or no investment in the squad, that’s down to the ownership and their failed “strategy”.
Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:45 - Mar 1 with 6644 viewsBlueBadger

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:37 - Mar 1 by J2BLUE

Yes, but he once said a BAD WORD. AT A FOOTBALL MATCH.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:46 - Mar 1 with 6634 viewsBlueBadger

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:38 - Mar 1 by PJH

Agree, MM tended to favour the players that deserved to be in the team just like most good managers do.

On a more serious note, 'comfortable' players do not routinely over perform to the extent that ours did under MM. 'Comfortable' players perform like they are under the likes of Jewell and, well, Lambert.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:47 - Mar 1 with 6627 viewsLankHenners

Whilst there is definitely too much of a soft touch about the club (and that stems from the lack of due care from the very top), I feel he misses the point a bit. No-one thinks Lambert is directly responsible for individual errors that lead to goals, but that it continues to happen every week whilst we fail to take chances/make clear ones comes back to the manager.

Mick came in and gave everyone the kick up the @rse they needed and anyone who didn't abide was chucked out. Eventually even he got tired of the lack of proper care from those above him and felt he had done as much as he could with what he had and we know what happened next.

Hurst identified the need for a boot to the backside but unfortunately he was a massive dickhead who was completely clueless as to how to go about it. The players made it known he needed going because he was sh!t, not because he fell out with Mick's stalwarts.

In short, the feeling of apathy that runs through the club comes from Evans' incompetence, the performances on the pitch come from the manager being useless. We should have got Warnock in as he'd have been the same as Mick, i.e. gave everyone a kick in the right way whilst also getting us to perform where it counts. Too late now, though it would be classic 'banter era' Town to not get in a manager who's been available all season until the time has run out and it's more expensive to get rid of the current one.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:48 - Mar 1 with 6620 viewsOxford_Blue

I remember making this point a few weeks ago after the Wimbledon game when Downes said the team had nothing to lose now it was out of the top six and didn’t feel under pressure.

It’s interesting to hear those quotes from past players, and certainly Keane thought the same thing. Ipswich is regarded as a nice little club where the fans generally are loyal / quiet / docile and dont get involved in the aggressive barracking that happens elsewhere. Too many players right now are not performing and are going through the motions.
Login to get fewer ads

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:52 - Mar 1 with 6575 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

He hits the nail on the head. There are some unfortunately on here that just jump the gun seemingly and lay it all at Lamberts doorstep, in essence that isn’t the case.

The roots of the ITFC conundrum is much more complex. The players are in a comfort culture at the club, set through the club from the very top, no ambition from the owner, how can you expect players and fans to follow. Players are happy just collecting a cheque.

I don’t think Lambert will leave the club anytime soon, but if Evans wants to back him properly, he has to allow him the overhaul players at this club and truly change the culture set in.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 15:46]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:22 - Mar 1 with 6447 viewsBlueBadger

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:45 - Mar 1 by BlueBadger

Yes, but he once said a BAD WORD. AT A FOOTBALL MATCH.

Poor Ernie. Imagine being upset by swearing at a football match.

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:32 - Mar 1 with 6403 viewsGlasgowBlue

The players didn’t look interested until we scored the equaliser, then they came alive. I just wish they’d look as lively from the start.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:32 - Mar 1 with 6387 viewsHerbivore

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:52 - Mar 1 by TheTrueBlue1878

He hits the nail on the head. There are some unfortunately on here that just jump the gun seemingly and lay it all at Lamberts doorstep, in essence that isn’t the case.

The roots of the ITFC conundrum is much more complex. The players are in a comfort culture at the club, set through the club from the very top, no ambition from the owner, how can you expect players and fans to follow. Players are happy just collecting a cheque.

I don’t think Lambert will leave the club anytime soon, but if Evans wants to back him properly, he has to allow him the overhaul players at this club and truly change the culture set in.

If, as you suggest, the players don't care then why has the manager not addressed that?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:36 - Mar 1 with 6378 viewsjasondozzell

I see what you mean, but I think the problem began once Mick left. Mick didn't seem as bothered by state of training ground, long term plan for club, connection with fans. He was a good manager, but I think he did it by having players he trusted who had a lot of influence. Mick never moved to Suffolk did he? I think senior players ran things with Mick which is what your want, but when Mick left I do wonder if that meant those same players had a bit too much influence and sense of control. Things comfortable - remember it's their job and the next contract etc v important for players. Hurst was v clear that he wanted a clean slate and that no one was in the team automatically. Think back to that interview after Exeter with Chambo. Players weren't happy to be called out. But actually our cup record is woeful and maybe Hurst was right. I don't like the idea that player power with them getting in touch with Evans was involved.

I'm not accusing players of being mutinous, more that Mick didn't really build up the club and culture of proper blokes and trusted players that worked well for him left a vacuum when he was gone. Wonder if Lambert is still dealing with that.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 15:38]
Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:40 - Mar 1 with 6332 viewsHerbivore

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:36 - Mar 1 by jasondozzell

I see what you mean, but I think the problem began once Mick left. Mick didn't seem as bothered by state of training ground, long term plan for club, connection with fans. He was a good manager, but I think he did it by having players he trusted who had a lot of influence. Mick never moved to Suffolk did he? I think senior players ran things with Mick which is what your want, but when Mick left I do wonder if that meant those same players had a bit too much influence and sense of control. Things comfortable - remember it's their job and the next contract etc v important for players. Hurst was v clear that he wanted a clean slate and that no one was in the team automatically. Think back to that interview after Exeter with Chambo. Players weren't happy to be called out. But actually our cup record is woeful and maybe Hurst was right. I don't like the idea that player power with them getting in touch with Evans was involved.

I'm not accusing players of being mutinous, more that Mick didn't really build up the club and culture of proper blokes and trusted players that worked well for him left a vacuum when he was gone. Wonder if Lambert is still dealing with that.

I think Lambert's just a really poor manager to be honest.

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:43 - Mar 1 with 6323 viewsChrisd

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:32 - Mar 1 by GlasgowBlue

The players didn’t look interested until we scored the equaliser, then they came alive. I just wish they’d look as lively from the start.

Then you have to question the player's attitude towards games. You might not like the manager, but you still go out and give of your best. Come the summer, whomever is in charge, I'd be clearing the decks and starting afresh.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 15:45]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:45 - Mar 1 with 6291 viewsjeera

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:36 - Mar 1 by jasondozzell

"I think senior players ran things with Mick which is what your want, but when Mick left I do wonder if that meant those same players had a bit too much influence and sense of control. Things comfortable - remember it's their job and the next contract etc v important for players."

Except this only speculation. We can all makes guesses and twist things to suit our views.

What we do know is Hurst came in with his sidekick and tried to throw his weight about.

Players are human beings - there doesn't have to be any conspiracy.

In any field, in any job, if your immediate boss acts like a c***, you're not going to perform for him.

If you're treated with respect and you have an ounce of decency about you, you're going to try harder in return.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:47 - Mar 1 with 6288 viewsjasondozzell

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:40 - Mar 1 by Herbivore

I think Lambert's just a really poor manager to be honest.

He's not helped himself, but the problems at the club run deeper, surely? We were struggling under Mick towards the end and most agree he was a good manager even if the style of football was dire.
Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:49 - Mar 1 with 6258 viewsChrisd

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:45 - Mar 1 by jeera

"I think senior players ran things with Mick which is what your want, but when Mick left I do wonder if that meant those same players had a bit too much influence and sense of control. Things comfortable - remember it's their job and the next contract etc v important for players."

Except this only speculation. We can all makes guesses and twist things to suit our views.

What we do know is Hurst came in with his sidekick and tried to throw his weight about.

In any field, in any job, if your immediate boss acts like a c***, you're not going to perform for him.

If you're treated with respect and you have an ounce of decency about you, you're going to try harder in return.

To be fair to PL, he doesn't come across as a d*ck towards the players through the media, he seems he's very supportive of them and they still performance abjectly. Can't do right for doing wrong with our current squad.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:52 - Mar 1 with 6244 viewsBlueBadger

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:47 - Mar 1 by jasondozzell

He's not helped himself, but the problems at the club run deeper, surely? We were struggling under Mick towards the end and most agree he was a good manager even if the style of football was dire.

The fact that we're in the third division can be laid mostly at the feet of Evans. The fact that we look likely to stay there for the long haul is on Lambert.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 16:01]

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:54 - Mar 1 with 6226 viewsjasondozzell

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:45 - Mar 1 by jeera

Agree and it's complete speculation. Who really knows what went on. Hurst never seemed like a demented ranter and raver though - could it be that the players just didnt like change after Mick regime? Hard running and having to prove yourself again etc. Who knows. But problems seem deeper than just Lambert.
Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:58 - Mar 1 with 6183 viewsHerbivore

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:47 - Mar 1 by jasondozzell

We were 12th in the Championship under Mick. That's not struggling. Our current plight is on Lambert. He's clueless.

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:58 - Mar 1 with 6197 viewsgordon

Look, we're in the last third of the season and out of choice, not enforced due to injuries, we went into an important game with a back four that's never played together before, and a central-defence partnership that's never played together before.
Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 16:00 - Mar 1 with 6178 viewsLankHenners

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 15:54 - Mar 1 by jasondozzell

Agree and it's complete speculation. Who really knows what went on. Hurst never seemed like a demented ranter and raver though - could it be that the players just didnt like change after Mick regime? Hard running and having to prove yourself again etc. Who knows. But problems seem deeper than just Lambert.

The players didn't like him being a total nob. There's been enough said from Bart alone let alone the numerous hearsay to suggest he was well out of his depth.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 16:09 - Mar 1 with 6109 views44_not_out

Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 14:52 - Mar 1 by TheTrueBlue1878

They might be happy just collecting a cheque, but remember most of them halved their wages overnight when we got relegated. I have it on good authority that those here next season, should we get promoted, will go back to their ‘championship money’. Plus there is decent bonuses if promotion was achieved - it’s not like they haven’t got the motivation

Or as has been suggested, maybe they just ain’t good enough??
Good piece from Watson today. Maybe players rather than Lambert who need to do m on 16:13 - Mar 1 with 6057 viewsnorth_stand77

If the players (and maybe owner and manager too), are not that bothered, and are content in their 'comfort 'zone, how foolish does that make us?

I hadn't seen Mcgoldricks comments before and feel a bit gutted that he obviously didn't have the same passion that we supporters have by investing time/money/emotions in the club.

Don't we expect the players to try their best and give 100% every game?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024