Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? 15:51 - May 11 with 3217 viewsGlasgowBlue

Razor sharp mind with very good attention to detail.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 15:57 - May 11 with 1583 viewsFixed_It

Very impressive. And as you say - grown up!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 15:58 - May 11 with 1583 viewsmanchego

I don't like to dwell on Jezza but he would have made a hash of this.

I used to think Keir was a bit dry but he makes up for it with a phenomenal focus on the specifics.
Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:00 - May 11 with 1570 viewsuefacup81

This will certainly make for interesting viewing:

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:04 - May 11 with 1553 viewstonybied

If only he was head of the party a few years ago, he has so much catching up to do now it's going to be tough just for him to level the playing field. Having said that, with the governments performance so far through this crisis and Starmers early promise, that gap maybe closed quicker than I thought possible.
Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:06 - May 11 with 1534 viewsGlasgowBlue

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 15:57 - May 11 by Fixed_It

Very impressive. And as you say - grown up!

I’ve maintained since the start of this that whoever was PM, regardless of political party, would have taken the same action on advice from SAGE, the CMO and the CSA. I still maintain this.

However, the exit strategy is made for somebody like Starmer who offers far more clarity.

My fear is that the government will attempt to own the exit strategy in the same way they tried to own the post Brexit negotiations.

This exit strategy needs cross party cooperation with input from the devolved governments.

Iron Lion Zion

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:06 - May 11 with 1532 viewsm14_blue

It’s an embarrassingly one sided contest isn’t it?

I imagine they’ll try and find a way for Boris to avoid facing him in parliament, he can’t survive regular humiliations like this for long.
Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:09 - May 11 with 1517 viewsGlasgowBlue

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:06 - May 11 by m14_blue

I imagine they’ll try and find a way for Boris to avoid facing him in parliament, he can’t survive regular humiliations like this for long.

FT : Boris Johnson 0-3 Sir Keir Starmer by GlasgowBlue 7 May 2020 8:28
The circus of normal PMQ’s suits Johnson, who is all about style and presentation over substance, whilst the current format of PMQ’s suits Starmer’s skills as a forensic debater.

When things return to normal and Johnson has 380 Tory MP’s behind him shouting down what Starmer says and heckling him whilst cheering Johnson then it will be completely different.

FT : Boris Johnson 0-3 Sir Keir Starmer by GlasgowBlue 7 May 2020 8:44
As I said, this current format exposes Johnson as being all bluster and Starmer being the master of forensic detail.

And in this current climate it’s exactly what is needed.

But when things are back to normal people won’t be turned on by this. More people turned up to watch Town lose 5-4 under Paul Jewell than watch Mick grind out a 0-0 draw or 1-0 win.

People liked to be whipped up. Don’t blame me for human nature.

[Post edited 11 May 2020 16:10]

Iron Lion Zion

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:12 - May 11 with 1485 viewsgordon

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:09 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

The circus of normal PMQ’s suits Johnson, who is all about style and presentation over substance, whilst the current format of PMQ’s suits Starmer’s skills as a forensic debater.

When things return to normal and Johnson has 380 Tory MP’s behind him shouting down what Starmer says and heckling him whilst cheering Johnson then it will be completely different.

As I said, this current format exposes Johnson as being all bluster and Starmer being the master of forensic detail.

But when things are back to normal people won’t be turned on by this. More people turned up to watch Town lose 5-4 under Paul Jewell than watch Mick grind out a 0-0 draw or 1-0 win.

We're going to be dealing with this for years - it's going to be a long, long time before BJ can go back to coming up with ideas for bridges.
Login to get fewer ads

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:12 - May 11 with 1484 viewstractordownsouth

The fact that Johnson just tried to claim the government have handled this better than Brown handled the 2008 crisis is ridiculous, even by his standards.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:22 - May 11 with 1406 viewsm14_blue

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:09 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

I’m not sure even the braying imbeciles will be able to level the playing field, though doubtless they’ll try.

Imbeciles like the Romford MP will make things worse rather than better I fancy and I just can’t see this front bench doing anything very competently, even post virus, which should leave him plenty to go at.

Johnson just isn’t very quick witted and he’s also not at all used to facing someone with Starmer’s intelligence.
Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:31 - May 11 with 1355 viewsChutney

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 15:58 - May 11 by manchego

I don't like to dwell on Jezza but he would have made a hash of this.

I used to think Keir was a bit dry but he makes up for it with a phenomenal focus on the specifics.

Jezza was a disaster that's why. An epic waste of 5 years worth of Labour government.

Starmer is sharp, focused, intelligent, credible and with real mass market appeal. He's absolutely the right man for that seat. I would like to see him come forward with some more pro active solutions rather than point fingers and solely apply hindsight, but he's certainly made a good start.
Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:37 - May 11 with 1321 viewsm14_blue

You think Boris is getting the better of him?

Which question did you think he dealt with particularly well?
Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:40 - May 11 with 1302 viewsGlasgowBlue

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:37 - May 11 by m14_blue

You think Boris is getting the better of him?

Which question did you think he dealt with particularly well?

?

Iron Lion Zion

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:45 - May 11 with 1269 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:06 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

I’ve maintained since the start of this that whoever was PM, regardless of political party, would have taken the same action on advice from SAGE, the CMO and the CSA. I still maintain this.

However, the exit strategy is made for somebody like Starmer who offers far more clarity.

My fear is that the government will attempt to own the exit strategy in the same way they tried to own the post Brexit negotiations.

This exit strategy needs cross party cooperation with input from the devolved governments.

Totally agree - no scoring points on this until it’s over!

And then we as a country need to put this to bed and never let a pandemic hit us as hard.

Overall til now we have done what’s necessary-there is always a better way when you aren’t in control! Release of lockdown is that time!

But why is wales, Scotland n n Ireland different? Hey ho Stay safe!
Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:46 - May 11 with 1265 viewsunstableblue

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:06 - May 11 by m14_blue

Boris has form in avoiding scrutiny, see his refusal to be grilled by the BBC's heavy hitters

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:49 - May 11 with 1245 viewsWeekender

I have cause to cross paths with a few QCs through work and some of them are unbelievably clever people. Coupled with the ability to present and articulate their opinions they can really be impressive.

Johnson is a blagger but he will struggle to blag Starmer who will use Johnson's lack of attention on detail to tear him apart.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:49 - May 11 with 1243 viewsfooters

Forensic. It was even more painful than usual to hear Johnson reply.

This crisis has exposed him for the charlatan he really is. Even Phillip Schofield is pissed off.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:50 - May 11 with 1229 viewssparks

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:49 - May 11 by footers

This crisis has exposed him for the charlatan he really is. Even Phillip Schofield is pissed off.

Anyone got link to a recording of it?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:51 - May 11 with 1218 viewsBlueBadger

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:49 - May 11 by footers

You lot all have very short memories, the football is much better now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:53 - May 11 with 1201 viewsfooters

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:50 - May 11 by sparks

Anyone got link to a recording of it?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/11/uk-coronavirus-live-boris-joh

It's a live stream so you'll need to roll back an hour or so.

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:54 - May 11 with 1203 viewsGlasgowBlue

You should have got him in sooner. It's like playing Robin Turner as your main striker for 5 years whilst keeping Paul Mariner in the reserves.

Iron Lion Zion

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:58 - May 11 with 1176 viewsfooters

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:54 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

You should have got him in sooner. It's like playing Robin Turner as your main striker for 5 years whilst keeping Paul Mariner in the reserves.

You weren't a fan of Corbyn?

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 17:03 - May 11 with 1149 viewsPinewoodblue

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:54 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

Not really he didn’t perform very well in the house when he first joined the shadow cabinet but he has improved remarkably.

He needs to avoid spending too much time nit-picking and start being a bit more constructive.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 17:06 - May 11 with 1126 viewsgordon

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 17:03 - May 11 by Pinewoodblue

Not really he didn’t perform very well in the house when he first joined the shadow cabinet but he has improved remarkably.

He needs to avoid spending too much time nit-picking and start being a bit more constructive.

I think we get enough 'constructive' from Hancock, Raab, Johnson et al!
Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 17:07 - May 11 with 1120 viewssparks

Kier Starmer really is a grown up serious politician isn’t he? on 16:53 - May 11 by footers

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/11/uk-coronavirus-live-boris-joh

It's a live stream so you'll need to roll back an hour or so.

What a contrast.

A genuinely skilled barrister- who can organise points and ideas, put them concisely and eloquently, in a balanced reasonable manner.

In fairness, I am the sort of person most likely to respond well to argument put in that manner- but it just seems so much more incisive and grown up than the student common room approach of Corbyn, or the bluster of Boris.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024