Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice for a nearly new Car 09:27 - Jul 31 with 8615 viewsChondzoresk

Can I pick your brains please.....I have 15k to spend on a nearly new car. I’m looking at a VW Polo DSG GTI. Do any of you own a car like this? Also looking at Audi A1 S line. Do any of you own a ‘sporty’ little number? Must be automatic too as my left knee is fooked. Any recommendations or thoughts please. They all seem very similar, but the build quality of VW seems top notch. Cheers guys!
Advice for a nearly new Car on 09:47 - Jul 31 with 6723 viewsBluefish

there will be little difference between them

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Advice for a nearly new Car on 09:54 - Jul 31 with 6715 viewsSaleAway

YOu could also have a look at the Skoda Fabia, and save yourself a bit - its basically a cheaper clone of the Polo.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Advice for a nearly new Car on 09:57 - Jul 31 with 6700 viewsChondzoresk

Advice for a nearly new Car on 09:54 - Jul 31 by SaleAway

YOu could also have a look at the Skoda Fabia, and save yourself a bit - its basically a cheaper clone of the Polo.

Yes, but I’m wanting something with a bit of zip to it. I’ll check the Skodas out tho.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 10:14 - Jul 31 with 6657 viewsemmaroyds

Advice for a nearly new Car on 09:47 - Jul 31 by Bluefish

there will be little difference between them

All Skoda's are basically VW's with a different body. There's a reason why many Taxis are Skoda's because they're robust and hold their price quite well.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 10:17 - Jul 31 with 6640 viewsfactual_blue

Advice for a nearly new Car on 09:57 - Jul 31 by Chondzoresk

Yes, but I’m wanting something with a bit of zip to it. I’ll check the Skodas out tho.

By 'zip' you mean street cred, don't you?

The current Skodas are great, any my Octavia zips away like the proverbial on a shovel.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Advice for a nearly new Car on 10:24 - Jul 31 with 6609 viewsChondzoresk

Advice for a nearly new Car on 10:17 - Jul 31 by factual_blue

By 'zip' you mean street cred, don't you?

The current Skodas are great, any my Octavia zips away like the proverbial on a shovel.

Well yes...but I owned Pug 205GTI back in the 90s I wanted to re-live it. Love a car with a bit of fun about it.

Defo look at these Skodas and Seats as they are both owned by VW.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 10:25 - Jul 31 with 6598 viewsPendejo

Advice for a nearly new Car on 09:57 - Jul 31 by Chondzoresk

VRS model Skodas if you want zip, or Seat Cupra, both of which are essentially VW

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Advice for a nearly new Car on 11:09 - Jul 31 with 6506 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've got an 8 year old Fiat Panda you can have for £15k. I'll give it a wash so it looks nearly new

It'll come down to personal preference. Our big car is an Audi A6 and the quality feel of it is exceptional. I suspect that translates into the A1 too. But then the Polo is renowned as being at the quality end of the scale too.

I noticed the other day that Polos have some of the best deals at the moment - it's a good time to buy a car (although all newish cars are money pits in terms of depreciation).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Advice for a nearly new Car on 11:57 - Jul 31 with 6452 viewsChondzoresk

Advice for a nearly new Car on 11:09 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

I've got an 8 year old Fiat Panda you can have for £15k. I'll give it a wash so it looks nearly new

It'll come down to personal preference. Our big car is an Audi A6 and the quality feel of it is exceptional. I suspect that translates into the A1 too. But then the Polo is renowned as being at the quality end of the scale too.

I noticed the other day that Polos have some of the best deals at the moment - it's a good time to buy a car (although all newish cars are money pits in terms of depreciation).

Thanks, I think I’ll pass on the Panda 😜 Yes, I do like Audi. My son drives one and raves about it. But I’m still hot on the Polo GTI. Looked at Skodas and Seats, but they are almost as expensive as VWs. I will not have a BMW. Some guy bought a M5 for £5k....he had to spend £7k on a re con gearbox which apparently they fail on all the time.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:02 - Jul 31 with 6442 viewsgiant_stow

Oddly enough, I was going to post the same quesiton almost, except it was going to be is it worth buying a 1 grand car?

(i had no idea small cars cost 15 grand, so I think this answers my question!)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:14 - Jul 31 with 6406 viewsChondzoresk

Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:02 - Jul 31 by giant_stow

Oddly enough, I was going to post the same quesiton almost, except it was going to be is it worth buying a 1 grand car?

(i had no idea small cars cost 15 grand, so I think this answers my question!)

Thought you would have a whole fleet of Lotus...or what ever the plural of Lotus is...(Lotai)?
Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:33 - Jul 31 with 6387 viewsSwansea_Blue

Advice for a nearly new Car on 11:57 - Jul 31 by Chondzoresk

Thanks, I think I’ll pass on the Panda 😜 Yes, I do like Audi. My son drives one and raves about it. But I’m still hot on the Polo GTI. Looked at Skodas and Seats, but they are almost as expensive as VWs. I will not have a BMW. Some guy bought a M5 for £5k....he had to spend £7k on a re con gearbox which apparently they fail on all the time.

If it was me, I'd test drive and then go with my gut instinct. You may get cheaper, and some of the Seats/Skodas are seen as better value, but £15k is a lot of money and if you can afford it then you may well get what you want rather than compromise.

Good luck and enjoy!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Advice for a nearly new Car on 13:35 - Jul 31 with 6337 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Advice for a nearly new Car on 13:44 - Jul 31 with 6307 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I have a Cupra Leon. Also DSG, You can probably get one for same price of Polo, and upgrade a car size
Advice for a nearly new Car on 13:52 - Jul 31 with 6291 viewsmikeybloo88

Advice for a nearly new Car on 13:44 - Jul 31 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I have a Cupra Leon. Also DSG, You can probably get one for same price of Polo, and upgrade a car size

Wife has an A3 s line saloon, fabulous zippy car which handles superbly and very economical. If you're looking fun with limited practicality, you can probably pick up a 5 year old SLK 200 auto for £15k..love my slk.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 14:24 - Jul 31 with 6252 viewsgiant_stow

Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:14 - Jul 31 by Chondzoresk

Thought you would have a whole fleet of Lotus...or what ever the plural of Lotus is...(Lotai)?

i wish! I do get to drive my mother in sort of law's occasionally though - a green version of this:

Good fun!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Advice for a nearly new Car on 14:58 - Jul 31 with 6216 viewsChondzoresk

Thanks everyone for your input. Food for thought. Those Seat Leon Cupras are beasts too.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 17:26 - Jul 31 with 6152 viewsShawsey

I have a Peugeot 208 Gti. It is very good. You can pick up a very good second hand one for around £12,000.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 17:32 - Jul 31 with 6143 viewsShawsey

Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:33 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

If it was me, I'd test drive and then go with my gut instinct. You may get cheaper, and some of the Seats/Skodas are seen as better value, but £15k is a lot of money and if you can afford it then you may well get what you want rather than compromise.

Good luck and enjoy!

That is very sound advice.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 19:23 - Jul 31 with 6058 viewsronnyd

If you are thinking of getting any VAG group auto, just ensure that the DSG gearbox has been serviced at the correct intervals. They are well known for problems if not. Same for the Ford Powershift and Honda duel clutch systems. I prefer the old torque converter box but they are as rare as rocking horse poo. Go onto the owners forums to get their comments, though, the amount you have to spend should get you a lowish mileage one. Best of luck in your search and buyer beware.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:24 - Aug 1 with 5883 viewsChondzoresk

Advice for a nearly new Car on 17:26 - Jul 31 by Shawsey

I have a Peugeot 208 Gti. It is very good. You can pick up a very good second hand one for around £12,000.

Yes, I do like a Pug. Owned several...However, don’t think they fit the auto box to the GTI. Unfortunately, my knee won’t thank me for a manual box.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:28 - Aug 1 with 5878 viewsTIB

Owned a 15 plate Polo GTi from new and loved it...even took it to the preseason friendly in Düsseldorf with four mates. It was manual but was so solid and great for a bit of fun or to do steady longer journeys. However, I then got an Audi S3....1500 miles on clock, S-Tronic (same as DSG I believe) and that was the worst car buying experience I’ve had. It had an intermittent fault where when shifting using paddles it would jolt massively, but only after just starting the car and turning left...sounds ridiculous. Took me 8 months for Audi to accept responsibility but only after taking out their head mechanic and bombarding their Twitter with videos of the issue. It turned out to be an issue between S-Tronic and Quattro system so worth reading up on it as I believe when these two combined they can have a few issues.

Hope that’s somewhat helpful. I love cars / bikes...I ended up going back to Fiat Abarth. Cannot fault them.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:36 - Aug 1 with 5864 viewsChondzoresk

Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:28 - Aug 1 by TIB

Owned a 15 plate Polo GTi from new and loved it...even took it to the preseason friendly in Düsseldorf with four mates. It was manual but was so solid and great for a bit of fun or to do steady longer journeys. However, I then got an Audi S3....1500 miles on clock, S-Tronic (same as DSG I believe) and that was the worst car buying experience I’ve had. It had an intermittent fault where when shifting using paddles it would jolt massively, but only after just starting the car and turning left...sounds ridiculous. Took me 8 months for Audi to accept responsibility but only after taking out their head mechanic and bombarding their Twitter with videos of the issue. It turned out to be an issue between S-Tronic and Quattro system so worth reading up on it as I believe when these two combined they can have a few issues.

Hope that’s somewhat helpful. I love cars / bikes...I ended up going back to Fiat Abarth. Cannot fault them.

Thank you for that. Nice review. All of them have a possible fault in them, it’s luck of the draw...
Arbarth would be on my list. I think it’s the ‘Competizione’ I would like. More grunt, however my wife hates them and don’t think they have an auto box.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:41 - Aug 1 with 5855 viewsjas0999

Take a look at the Seat. Essentially a VW, but get a lot more for your money.
Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:45 - Aug 1 with 5840 viewsChondzoresk

Advice for a nearly new Car on 12:28 - Aug 1 by TIB

They do an auto box on the Arbarth 500, but a push button electrical. Back on the list it goes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024