Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hate seeing people risking their lives. 18:51 - Aug 10 with 4475 viewsShawsey

Trying to just make a better life for themselves, but I don't know what the answer is. We can't just have an open border policy, can we? If we put restrictions in place, people will still risk their lives trying to get here. We have plenty of room to accommodate them, but don't see how we go about it. They need our help, but The Governments of European countries don't seem to have the answers either. Any ideas?
I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 18:59 - Aug 10 with 2858 viewsBLUEBEAT

I personally would want to support anyone who is running away from a terrible situation.

Then the more skeptical part of me looks at France specifically, where most of these people leave from... a country which is more than twice the size of UK and a population of at least 2 million less than UK....

Poll: W or W

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:02 - Aug 10 with 2843 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 18:59 - Aug 10 by BLUEBEAT

I personally would want to support anyone who is running away from a terrible situation.

Then the more skeptical part of me looks at France specifically, where most of these people leave from... a country which is more than twice the size of UK and a population of at least 2 million less than UK....

Each country should play an equitable part, rather than funnel them through europe to the UK.

The OP said that 'we have the space', which I think is questionable in reality.

We should do our part in providing refuge for those in desperate need, but it needs to be a shared responsibility.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:05 - Aug 10 with 2828 viewsbluelagos

For starters we should be compassionate in how we deal with stoways. The idea that people who risk their lives, to get a chance to improve their and their families' lives are bad people is absurd. They are desperate for the chance to improve their lives be that to make them safer or just better.

I'd argue they should be welcomed into the uk in the same way we welcomed people fleeing oppression anywhere. For some they are fleeing war, some are fleeing economic oppression. In all cases am sure most would contribute if we allowed them too.

Appreciate that is not the view of most voters, hence why PP will no doubt do all she can to stop the illegal migrants. Just hope we dont go full on and start risking people's lives in our determination to keep them out.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:16 - Aug 10 with 2787 viewsShawsey

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:02 - Aug 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Each country should play an equitable part, rather than funnel them through europe to the UK.

We should do our part in providing refuge for those in desperate need, but it needs to be a shared responsibility.

I did say that the European Governments don't seem to have the answers either. Just any sensible suggestions? We have plenty of room, no doubt about that. I don't want to blame anyone, just an answer to the problem.
I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:18 - Aug 10 with 2776 viewsShawsey

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/11/empty-homes-england-rises-proper
I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:18 - Aug 10 with 2779 viewsbluelagos

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:05 - Aug 10 by bluelagos

For starters we should be compassionate in how we deal with stoways. The idea that people who risk their lives, to get a chance to improve their and their families' lives are bad people is absurd. They are desperate for the chance to improve their lives be that to make them safer or just better.

I'd argue they should be welcomed into the uk in the same way we welcomed people fleeing oppression anywhere. For some they are fleeing war, some are fleeing economic oppression. In all cases am sure most would contribute if we allowed them too.

Appreciate that is not the view of most voters, hence why PP will no doubt do all she can to stop the illegal migrants. Just hope we dont go full on and start risking people's lives in our determination to keep them out.

I'll add am unimpressed BJ labelling the crossing "stupid and dangerous". He seems to fail to understand that the people are desperate, so desperate that they will risk their lives to come to the uk.

What is stupid is the idea thatnwe should engage the navy to keep these people out. The costs involved in so doing, for norhing more than keeping his rabid right wingers happy, is ridiculous. It also risks the migrants taking even more risks (longer routes, travelling at night) and could easily result in more people drowning.

And for what?

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:21 - Aug 10 with 2752 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:16 - Aug 10 by Shawsey

I did say that the European Governments don't seem to have the answers either. Just any sensible suggestions? We have plenty of room, no doubt about that. I don't want to blame anyone, just an answer to the problem.

I think to say we have plenty of 'room' is oversimplistic and wrong.

We already have a housing crisis, and house prices that are out of control, this is a direct result of a lack of supply of land and housing.

Then there is a lack of support infrastructure.

I'd like to see an answer too.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:21 - Aug 10 with 2747 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:18 - Aug 10 by Shawsey

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/11/empty-homes-england-rises-proper

Login to get fewer ads

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:22 - Aug 10 with 2748 viewsm14_blue

Every country should play an equitable part, absolutely.

I'm not sure they are being funnelled through to us really though are they? Do we take a disproportionately high number of migrants when compared to the rest of Europe?
I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:24 - Aug 10 with 2742 viewsBlueBadger

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:18 - Aug 10 by bluelagos

I'll add am unimpressed BJ labelling the crossing "stupid and dangerous". He seems to fail to understand that the people are desperate, so desperate that they will risk their lives to come to the uk.

What is stupid is the idea thatnwe should engage the navy to keep these people out. The costs involved in so doing, for norhing more than keeping his rabid right wingers happy, is ridiculous. It also risks the migrants taking even more risks (longer routes, travelling at night) and could easily result in more people drowning.

And for what?

What I don't get is that these right wing types will simultaneously say things like 'Britain lacks backbone' and 'people are too soft and too reliant on the state' but are also wanting to turn away people with the stones to cross one the world's busiest shipping lanes in a rubber dinghy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:26 - Aug 10 with 2732 viewsGlasgowBlue

Spot on. People don’t put their own lives and those of their families at risk for the fun of it.

They are desperate. They are often fleeing war, violence, oppression and abuse. The western governments have all failed in agreeing a fair share of refugees that can be taken in. They basically wander from country to country, getting more and more desperate and unwanted.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:29 - Aug 10 with 2718 viewsWeWereZombies

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:22 - Aug 10 by m14_blue

I'm not sure they are being funnelled through to us really though are they? Do we take a disproportionately high number of migrants when compared to the rest of Europe?

We're not even in the top five (and we are not the European state that is the only one in the top five):

https://www.unhcr.org/globaltrends2018/

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:30 - Aug 10 with 2711 viewsbluelagos

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:24 - Aug 10 by BlueBadger

What I don't get is that these right wing types will simultaneously say things like 'Britain lacks backbone' and 'people are too soft and too reliant on the state' but are also wanting to turn away people with the stones to cross one the world's busiest shipping lanes in a rubber dinghy.

Yep. E.g. The guys from West Africa have crossed the Saraha, the Med and found their way to Calais. Most of those slagging these guys off wouldn't last 5 munutes in an environment like West Africa. Never mind have the resilience to do 10% of what these migrants have.

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:33 - Aug 10 with 2694 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:22 - Aug 10 by m14_blue

I guess you'd need to have a study of distance from origin and size of host country.

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:34 - Aug 10 with 2688 viewsShawsey

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:21 - Aug 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Why is that funny? Some reports say the number is over 600,000.
I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:35 - Aug 10 with 2684 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Excellent set up for a 10 pager this.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:41 - Aug 10 with 2661 viewsm14_blue

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:33 - Aug 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

I guess you'd need to have a study of distance from origin and size of host country.

Not sure what that would have to do with all countries playing an equitable part?

Unless you think the countries closer should take disproportionately high numbers?
I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:49 - Aug 10 with 2634 viewsBloomBlue

But France should be stopping people smuggers, in some ways its another form of slavery. I bet 99% of those people on those boats has paid smugglers to help them. No EU country should allow people smugglers in 2020.
I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:49 - Aug 10 with 2634 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's not an open border policy. Don't fall for the Farage-led bullsh*t narrative like a lot of the mainstream press are.

Scoop em up, treat them decently while their applications are processed, let those stay that are eligible.

The answers will be varied and complex, as the causes stem from multiple different situations (with a lot of emphasis on various middle eastern conflicts). But let's not get hysterical, remember that fewer are fleeing to the EU (and therefore us) than during the peak in 2015-16 and also realise that we take relatively few compared to the 'main' EU countries. Helping people in need also isn't a negative.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Asylum_statistics#M

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:50 - Aug 10 with 2630 viewsOldsmoker

As many of you have said these people are desperate, willing to chance death just for the promise of a better life. That 'better life' is the UK immigration centres - definitely NOT a better life.
So why the open invite to some 3million Hong Kong immigrants?
They are not fleeing war and famine.
They have money. Money that can be used to pay the UK a visa fee and any other charge we place on them to settle in the UK.
The boat people are exploiting the UK whereas the UK can exploit the HK immigrants.
As always, follow the money.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:51 - Aug 10 with 2625 viewsSwansea_Blue

They do. We don't take anywhere near the number that our former 'big' EU partners (Germany and France) take. There's also no legal requirement to take sanctuary in any countries they pass through, and for those who come here things like the language and links through family or close friends are important reasons.

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:52 - Aug 10 with 2622 viewsgordon

At the moment we're definitely one of those countries that isn't accepting that shared responsibility. The number of refugees in many countries in Africa and the Middle East, as well as Scandinavia, Germany, Swiss and Austria is far, far greater either relatively or absolutely than here.
I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:55 - Aug 10 with 2610 viewsSwansea_Blue

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:50 - Aug 10 by Oldsmoker

As many of you have said these people are desperate, willing to chance death just for the promise of a better life. That 'better life' is the UK immigration centres - definitely NOT a better life.
So why the open invite to some 3million Hong Kong immigrants?
They are not fleeing war and famine.
They have money. Money that can be used to pay the UK a visa fee and any other charge we place on them to settle in the UK.
The boat people are exploiting the UK whereas the UK can exploit the HK immigrants.
As always, follow the money.

Maybe there's an element of that, but also the pictures of people landing on our beaches is a huge propaganda opportunity to the xenophobes. And I suspect the government are still scared of Farage so are determined to play him at his own game and take up the same rhetoric around 'illegal' immigration (it's not) and 'invasions' and the like. So there's the staying in power element too, not just money.

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:59 - Aug 10 with 2600 viewsSwansea_Blue

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:49 - Aug 10 by BloomBlue

But France should be stopping people smuggers, in some ways its another form of slavery. I bet 99% of those people on those boats has paid smugglers to help them. No EU country should allow people smugglers in 2020.

They do, including a good number of smugglers from Britain https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33226799

I wish people would stop believing the xenophobic bullsh*t spread by the Little Englanders. Dig a little deeper and don't believe a word you read about this from the likes of Farage or the Sun, Express, Telegraph, Mail, etc.

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 20:02 - Aug 10 with 2580 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hate seeing people risking their lives. on 19:41 - Aug 10 by m14_blue

Not sure what that would have to do with all countries playing an equitable part?

Unless you think the countries closer should take disproportionately high numbers?

No, I don't.

You asked if we take a disproportionately high number, I just gave a view on how that might be calculated.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024