Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brett McGavin 09:26 - Aug 23 with 5545 viewsWickets

Anyone any idea what went on as he played about 16 minutes as a second half sub before getting pulled off . Did not seem to be injured but looked rather upset on the sidelines ?
Brett McGavin on 09:29 - Aug 23 with 4465 viewsITFCBlues

They wanted Nolan to get some minutes

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Brett McGavin on 09:37 - Aug 23 with 4430 viewsWickets

Brett McGavin on 09:29 - Aug 23 by ITFCBlues

They wanted Nolan to get some minutes

Maybe but if it was a pre planned move i dont think young Brett knew it was going to be happening as he sat on the side shaking his head in what looked like disappointment. Hopefully i have got it wrong but to me it looked an excersise in how to destroy a young players confidence !
Brett McGavin on 09:43 - Aug 23 with 4395 viewsJoHnNnY

Brett McGavin on 09:37 - Aug 23 by Wickets

Maybe but if it was a pre planned move i dont think young Brett knew it was going to be happening as he sat on the side shaking his head in what looked like disappointment. Hopefully i have got it wrong but to me it looked an excersise in how to destroy a young players confidence !

I agree - when you want to give someone 15 minutes you do it at the end... shocking management.

Felt for the lad...hope he gets a good run Tuesday.

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

Brett McGavin on 09:48 - Aug 23 with 4356 viewsChrisd

Brett McGavin on 09:43 - Aug 23 by JoHnNnY

I agree - when you want to give someone 15 minutes you do it at the end... shocking management.

Felt for the lad...hope he gets a good run Tuesday.

To be fair, you’re speculating. None of us know the details for PL’s decision to sub McGavin. If anything, I thought he was giving the ball away quite often and was getting caught in possession.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Brett McGavin on 09:50 - Aug 23 with 4334 viewstiptreeblue

Brett McGavin on 09:48 - Aug 23 by Chrisd

To be fair, you’re speculating. None of us know the details for PL’s decision to sub McGavin. If anything, I thought he was giving the ball away quite often and was getting caught in possession.

But if it gives them a chance to have a go at the manager, they don`t need to know what the reason was. he may have been shaking his head because he has a niggling injury that won`t clear up. who knows?
Brett McGavin on 09:55 - Aug 23 with 4303 viewsWickets

Brett McGavin on 09:50 - Aug 23 by tiptreeblue

But if it gives them a chance to have a go at the manager, they don`t need to know what the reason was. he may have been shaking his head because he has a niggling injury that won`t clear up. who knows?

Did you read what i said ? Does anyone Know ???
Brett McGavin on 10:17 - Aug 23 with 4212 viewsclive_baker

Hopefully there’s more to it than just being hooked. I thought he was thrown under the bus by Lambert against Fleetwood, before being hooked at half time a little harshly. Yesterday would be even more harsh if he didn’t have a knock.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Brett McGavin on 10:20 - Aug 23 with 4190 viewstiptreeblue

Brett McGavin on 09:55 - Aug 23 by Wickets

Did you read what i said ? Does anyone Know ???

it seemed to me that It looked like an exercise to destroy a young players confidence gives a pretty good idea that it was aimed at the manager, doesn`t it?
Login to get fewer ads

Brett McGavin on 10:23 - Aug 23 with 4169 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Brett McGavin on 10:29 - Aug 23 with 4151 viewsWickets

Brett McGavin on 10:20 - Aug 23 by tiptreeblue

it seemed to me that It looked like an exercise to destroy a young players confidence gives a pretty good idea that it was aimed at the manager, doesn`t it?

You are wrongly assuming that i am just knocking the manager and ignoring the facts .Everything i have said went on did go on .Can someone explain why it went on please that is what i am saying . If you have decided i am just knocking the manager you are wrong . Go to my posts and read what i have been saying as i have said on here a couple of times recently that PL should get this season to see if he has learnt from his mistakes before we roll the dice .You just picked out the bit you wanted too as i said HOPEFULLY I HAVE GOT IT WRONG .
[Post edited 23 Aug 2020 10:31]
Brett McGavin on 10:46 - Aug 23 with 4083 viewsMullet

I loved that he wanted the ball and was keen to get involved and play it simple. I don't think he was that bad given we were already losing heavily and he was trying to do something.

I suspect it was about changing the shape. Had Lambert not communicated he was expected to get 15 mins or so that's poor but I think far too much is being made of it. He was probably just gutted he didn't get to do more and make the most of his chance to play in that stadium etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Brett McGavin on 11:24 - Aug 23 with 3956 viewsmonty_radio

Brett McGavin on 10:46 - Aug 23 by Mullet

I loved that he wanted the ball and was keen to get involved and play it simple. I don't think he was that bad given we were already losing heavily and he was trying to do something.

I suspect it was about changing the shape. Had Lambert not communicated he was expected to get 15 mins or so that's poor but I think far too much is being made of it. He was probably just gutted he didn't get to do more and make the most of his chance to play in that stadium etc.

But given he has already experienced the early hook, it's not good man-management. McGavin clearly understands his role, and, while being a bit one-paced he sprayed the ball around a bit and was no worse than others. Nolan, meanwhile came on and recycled and recycled, but never in advance positions.

I get that we held our shape, and, apart from two early gifts, were able to come away with heads held high, but, by the end, Spurs, as the commentator noted, had 16 and 17 year-olds on the pitch, and still we made no real impression in their half. Yes, it was still Spurs reserves, but two weeks behind in training. Our total inability of our midfield to penetrate, albeit we looked better organised, was worryingly reminiscent of last season. I know that there will always be major caveats about such a game and result, but the organisation we have craved needs to be fired by determined ambition. I live in hope for Tuesday and West Ham.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2020 18:30]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Brett McGavin on 11:25 - Aug 23 with 3954 viewsRobTheMonk

I didn't think he looked fully fit. There were times he was running back and looked slow.
Brett McGavin on 11:27 - Aug 23 with 3943 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Just a small appearance to then allow Nolan to get minutes, would imagine McGavin could be one we’d be looking to loan out this year.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Brett McGavin on 11:33 - Aug 23 with 3926 viewsChrisd

Brett McGavin on 11:24 - Aug 23 by monty_radio

But given he has already experienced the early hook, it's not good man-management. McGavin clearly understands his role, and, while being a bit one-paced he sprayed the ball around a bit and was no worse than others. Nolan, meanwhile came on and recycled and recycled, but never in advance positions.

I get that we held our shape, and, apart from two early gifts, were able to come away with heads held high, but, by the end, Spurs, as the commentator noted, had 16 and 17 year-olds on the pitch, and still we made no real impression in their half. Yes, it was still Spurs reserves, but two weeks behind in training. Our total inability of our midfield to penetrate, albeit we looked better organised, was worryingly reminiscent of last season. I know that there will always be major caveats about such a game and result, but the organisation we have craved needs to be fired by determined ambition. I live in hope for Tuesday and West Ham.

That’s certainly true about Spurs at the end, they had 3 or 4 teenagers on the pitch. It’s funny with Nolan, he can run these terrific times for 5km, but when we desperately need a central midfielder to get forwards to support the strikers he seems incapable. That was one thing again I noticed from yesterday, although there were some pleasing aspects about our game. A few times both AD and KJ looked isolated up front and we were slow in getting forwards in numbers to support. This has been a criticism for the last couple seasons with our side.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Brett McGavin on 13:42 - Aug 23 with 3694 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brett McGavin on 11:24 - Aug 23 by monty_radio

Two weeks behind in training?! They were playing in the Premier League 4 weeks ago! We've barely kicked a ball in anger for 5 months.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brett McGavin on 15:29 - Aug 23 with 3549 viewsTieDyedIn95

Brett McGavin on 10:46 - Aug 23 by Mullet

He did just fine considering, as he did against Colchester and Lambert has praised him so I think this may be a bit of a non-story.

I am sure some people here played mens football at the age of 15-16 and got pulled off before. It's just something you deal with, you have a whinge and a swear and days after you show up at training, put the work in and hope you do better next game and usually, you do.

He's going to get some games this season so he has something to look forward to. His dad was an established pro playing for a number of local sides, he will know the score.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Brett McGavin on 17:23 - Aug 23 with 3371 viewsWickets

Brett McGavin on 15:29 - Aug 23 by TieDyedIn95

He did just fine considering, as he did against Colchester and Lambert has praised him so I think this may be a bit of a non-story.

I am sure some people here played mens football at the age of 15-16 and got pulled off before. It's just something you deal with, you have a whinge and a swear and days after you show up at training, put the work in and hope you do better next game and usually, you do.

He's going to get some games this season so he has something to look forward to. His dad was an established pro playing for a number of local sides, he will know the score.

Not sure if you saw the game as Brett sat on his own looking totally distraught and shaking his head in disbelief picked up by the camera and mentioned in commentry !
Brett McGavin on 17:27 - Aug 23 with 3351 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brett McGavin on 17:23 - Aug 23 by Wickets

Not sure if you saw the game as Brett sat on his own looking totally distraught and shaking his head in disbelief picked up by the camera and mentioned in commentry !

I think you're projecting. I don't remember him looking "totally distraught" and I didn't hear anything to that end in the commentary either.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brett McGavin on 17:48 - Aug 23 with 3330 viewsWickets

MMM Interesting maybe i have over egged it a bit ,i was watching with several family members and it did happen as we talked about it at the time. But upset is maybe a better discription . Also we commented at the time no one near him offering an explaination .
Brett McGavin on 17:50 - Aug 23 with 3319 viewsPJH

Brett McGavin on 17:48 - Aug 23 by Wickets

MMM Interesting maybe i have over egged it a bit ,i was watching with several family members and it did happen as we talked about it at the time. But upset is maybe a better discription . Also we commented at the time no one near him offering an explaination .

That last bit would be because of social distancing I expect.
Brett McGavin on 17:58 - Aug 23 with 3287 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brett McGavin on 17:48 - Aug 23 by Wickets

I dunno, maybe it was explained off camera? Maybe it didn't need explaining because he had a knock? Maybe it didn't need explaining because it was planned?

It's all guesswork. I think the most unlikely scenario is Lambert did it to destroy his confidence.

What we need is one of the local members of the press to ask Lambert what the substitution was all about and if Brett was ok with it. Surprised they haven't already to be honest.

Brett McGavin on 18:38 - Aug 23 with 3214 viewsWickets

Brett McGavin on 17:50 - Aug 23 by PJH

That last bit would be because of social distancing I expect.

Well maybe and i might be reading too much into it, i am not into knocking our manager but i think this could and should have been handled better. Poor lad sitting on his own and yes only a brief moment or two on the telly so maybe it was handled better than it seemed . Hope so .
Brett McGavin on 18:54 - Aug 23 with 3179 viewslazyblue

To be fair when Nolan came on he looked the best player in Town shirt yesterday even if just for few minutes.
Brett McGavin on 19:16 - Aug 23 with 3135 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Brett McGavin on 18:38 - Aug 23 by Wickets

Well maybe and i might be reading too much into it, i am not into knocking our manager but i think this could and should have been handled better. Poor lad sitting on his own and yes only a brief moment or two on the telly so maybe it was handled better than it seemed . Hope so .

But this is also total specualtion. How can you say 'could and should' have been handled better when as you have a admitted you have no idea of the circumstances.

This is almost certainly a non story.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024