Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No crowds 07:56 - Sep 22 with 2263 viewsWestover

No crowds at matches at the moment says Michael Howard 😭😩
No crowds on 08:18 - Sep 22 with 1703 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I would assume that's going to be the case for a long time.

Why would they even entertain opening it up at say 25% capacity if they're encouraging distancing? Having thousands of people descend on Ipswich town centre (travelling from all over the country potentially) is hardly conjusive or in-keeping with the wider messaging.

Whether people agree with the government's approach or not, I can't see a situation where we're watching football games, even at 25%, until well into 2021, and perhaps not even this season.
No crowds on 08:34 - Sep 22 with 1685 viewsitfcjoe

It's just going to kill clubs in the game, more really needs to be done when you bear in mind people have been able to go ad see non league games for weeks.

The professional game should be easier to manage with allocated seats to sit in.

I was really hoping to go to the game on Saturday

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

No crowds on 08:45 - Sep 22 with 1633 viewsEastTownBlue

"Paused" says Mr Gove

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54246745
No crowds on 08:53 - Sep 22 with 1612 viewsHerbivore

No crowds on 08:34 - Sep 22 by itfcjoe

It's just going to kill clubs in the game, more really needs to be done when you bear in mind people have been able to go ad see non league games for weeks.

The professional game should be easier to manage with allocated seats to sit in.

Given that everyone attending would have been season ticket holders anyway I'm not sure it will have that much of an additional impact on clubs' finances. I honestly don't see how anyone thinks thousands of people going to football is a good thing when cases are rising as they are.

Poll: Latest TWTD opinion poll - who are you voting for?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

No crowds on 08:58 - Sep 22 with 1587 viewsMetal_Hacker

I think this will be the demise of more than a few clubs. This could be the excuse for the start of a similar league set up in Germany as someone mentioned the other day. Can see a lot of small clubs folding unsurprisingly and those bigger clubs ie the Premier League sticking their middle finger up and walking away. The rich get richer

Can honestly see there being The Premier League , Prem 2 , League One and thereafter it'll be simply semi-pro

Poll: Philogene Conundrum

No crowds on 09:03 - Sep 22 with 1562 viewsJakeITFC

No crowds on 08:53 - Sep 22 by Herbivore

Given that everyone attending would have been season ticket holders anyway I'm not sure it will have that much of an additional impact on clubs' finances. I honestly don't see how anyone thinks thousands of people going to football is a good thing when cases are rising as they are.

It is going to be the death knell for somewhere approaching half of the clubs at our level and the one below I imagine. Surely the League One and Two seasons can’t continue with no likelihood of fans in the stadiums for months.

In the grand scheme of things is football more important than protecting vulnerable lives - no. But I think it would be remiss to dismiss the collateral damage of coming out of this virus with 100,000 dead but millions of people who have lost their livelihood (either culturally or their actual job).
No crowds on 09:03 - Sep 22 with 1562 viewsGuthrum

No crowds on 08:18 - Sep 22 by PrideOfTheEast

I would assume that's going to be the case for a long time.

Why would they even entertain opening it up at say 25% capacity if they're encouraging distancing? Having thousands of people descend on Ipswich town centre (travelling from all over the country potentially) is hardly conjusive or in-keeping with the wider messaging.

Whether people agree with the government's approach or not, I can't see a situation where we're watching football games, even at 25%, until well into 2021, and perhaps not even this season.

I think it was down to a belief that an increase in cases would not happen as soon or as sharply as we have seen in the UK over the last couple of weeks.

After all, we're still learning about how this virus behaves and what measures are effective in dealing with it. A month ago it was looking like we might have a breathing space until perhaps November before things became sticky again. A chance to get some recovery in before potentially the next bout. However, things seem to be running out of control faster than was anticipated, so the brakes are having to be reapplied quite hard.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

No crowds on 09:10 - Sep 22 with 1537 viewshomer_123

No crowds on 09:03 - Sep 22 by JakeITFC

It is going to be the death knell for somewhere approaching half of the clubs at our level and the one below I imagine. Surely the League One and Two seasons can’t continue with no likelihood of fans in the stadiums for months.

In the grand scheme of things is football more important than protecting vulnerable lives - no. But I think it would be remiss to dismiss the collateral damage of coming out of this virus with 100,000 dead but millions of people who have lost their livelihood (either culturally or their actual job).

Maybe, and not just football, we are going to have to adapt and adapt quickly. Maybe things won't go back to normal.

What if the vaccines don't work?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

No crowds on 09:18 - Sep 22 with 1497 viewsWickets

I very much agree with you Joe as i think our sporting weekend is a big plus to many people's mental health .
No crowds on 09:18 - Sep 22 with 1498 viewsgiant_stow

No crowds on 09:03 - Sep 22 by JakeITFC

My Orient mates have all renewed their season tickets and most have seen it as a donation. I know the Orient players wouldn't get paid a load, but surely they have to do something similar as the fans and 'donate' a cut in wages or there'll be no more club.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:18]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

No crowds on 09:20 - Sep 22 with 1480 viewsHerbivore

No crowds on 09:18 - Sep 22 by Wickets

I very much agree with you Joe as i think our sporting weekend is a big plus to many people's mental health .

It's been a big minus for my mental health the last 2 years.

No crowds on 09:23 - Sep 22 with 1458 viewsAce_High1

Not a surprise, the timescale was always way off.

This winter was always going to see a peak and a large resurgence of the infection rates so the idea of at the start of flu/cold season of getting people back was a pipe dream.

Earliest they can reasonably try this again now is out the other side in spring.
No crowds on 09:32 - Sep 22 with 1424 viewsjonbull88

Your last phrase can be cut and pasted in to a variety of different events nowadays though surely? Do people really need to go abroad for some sun? Do people really need to go and buy an overpriced drink or meal at a pub? All this whilst there is a global pandemic. Short answer is no, but people still do, why? Because they enjoy it. Why can’t fans enjoy a game of football? As another poster has stated, in non league fans have been to a handful of games already.

Coronavirus was always going to have a spike, I would put money on there being 3 or 4 spikes before we can really start to control it (in hopefully a vaccine form).
No crowds on 09:33 - Sep 22 with 1423 viewsGuthrum

No crowds on 09:18 - Sep 22 by giant_stow

My Orient mates have all renewed their season tickets and most have seen it as a donation. I know the Orient players wouldn't get paid a load, but surely they have to do something similar as the fans and 'donate' a cut in wages or there'll be no more club.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2020 9:18]

For that, people would have to realise that this is a serious situation, not a temporary blip which will get better soon.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

No crowds on 09:49 - Sep 22 with 1386 viewsHerbivore

No crowds on 09:32 - Sep 22 by jonbull88

Your last phrase can be cut and pasted in to a variety of different events nowadays though surely? Do people really need to go abroad for some sun? Do people really need to go and buy an overpriced drink or meal at a pub? All this whilst there is a global pandemic. Short answer is no, but people still do, why? Because they enjoy it. Why can’t fans enjoy a game of football? As another poster has stated, in non league fans have been to a handful of games already.

Coronavirus was always going to have a spike, I would put money on there being 3 or 4 spikes before we can really start to control it (in hopefully a vaccine form).

Personally I wouldn't be going on a foreign holiday and think people doing so are a bit mad. Cramming a couple of hundred people on to a plane and many hundreds of people into airports isn't a great idea. That said, most holidays require people to self isolate for 14 days on return now so it's not like you can go away with no consequences. Pubs and restaurants don't involve thousands of people heading to the same venue at the same time but we're already seeing some restrictions come back in on pubs because of the risks they carry and I expect more will follow.

No crowds on 09:55 - Sep 22 with 1370 viewsStokieBlue

No crowds on 09:32 - Sep 22 by jonbull88

Foreign holidays should have been stopped altogether right at the start, much like they did in New Zealand. I cancelled my planned holidays this year as being sealed in a plane with people seems like a bad idea. It's especially interesting as I suspect quite a number of people taking planes are also saying they need to WFH because they don't want to risk public transport.

Football is exactly the same, sure it's nice to go to the match but watching it at home with a beer is still better than nothing at all - it's not like the games are cancelled.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

No crowds on 09:57 - Sep 22 with 1363 viewsitfcjoe

No crowds on 09:55 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

Foreign holidays should have been stopped altogether right at the start, much like they did in New Zealand. I cancelled my planned holidays this year as being sealed in a plane with people seems like a bad idea. It's especially interesting as I suspect quite a number of people taking planes are also saying they need to WFH because they don't want to risk public transport.

Football is exactly the same, sure it's nice to go to the match but watching it at home with a beer is still better than nothing at all - it's not like the games are cancelled.

SB

Not yet - how long until L1 and L2 clubs, and below, want to start postponing the season if no fans?

No crowds on 09:58 - Sep 22 with 1364 viewsChrisd

Judging from Hashtag United’s FA Cup qualifying tie last night, there wasn’t much social distancing going on there.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

No crowds on 10:02 - Sep 22 with 1342 viewsStokieBlue

No crowds on 09:57 - Sep 22 by itfcjoe

Not yet - how long until L1 and L2 clubs, and below, want to start postponing the season if no fans?

I have no idea.

What do you propose? People are saying they can't take public transport to work but suddenly we can get to football matches (because no way people can drive in cities). The concourses are going to be crowded as are toilets - it could work but is it really that important?

Does having 2000 fans at Fleetwood or Accrington make a huge difference to their income? How many are season ticket holders who have paid and are watching on TV?

It's a really hard situation but there seems to be a mental disconnect in people with regards to the risks of things they might not be bothered about (going to work) and the risks of things they want to do (football, pub, holidays) even though the risks are the practically the same given the same rules.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

No crowds on 10:10 - Sep 22 with 1307 viewsjonbull88

No crowds on 09:49 - Sep 22 by Herbivore

Personally I wouldn't be going on a foreign holiday and think people doing so are a bit mad. Cramming a couple of hundred people on to a plane and many hundreds of people into airports isn't a great idea. That said, most holidays require people to self isolate for 14 days on return now so it's not like you can go away with no consequences. Pubs and restaurants don't involve thousands of people heading to the same venue at the same time but we're already seeing some restrictions come back in on pubs because of the risks they carry and I expect more will follow.

I agree the idea of going abroad is mad and believe a ban for the rest of the year should be in place, however it’s never going to happen. Even New Zealand’s “closed boarders” haven’t really closed. I’ve known a couple of people come and go from there this year when the boards have been apparently “closed”. Also when it comes to quarantining, how many really stick to it? Cases in Bolton at least have been traced back to someone/people not self isolating. The pubs and restaurants for me is a tricky one. I’ve not been to one in nearly a year anyway due to work and family life, however have seen many pictures about of drinkers not really social distancing and heard stories about restaurants not keeping records of who been in there places etc. All of this makes me think is it really any worse sitting in Portman road?
No crowds on 10:10 - Sep 22 with 1306 viewsEly_Blue

I think the whole ST thing has another angle, it’s more about giving people what they’ve paid for.

I would imagine if the scenario of clubs unable to provide live football in person to see is going to cost the clubs money in terms of more compensation packages for unattended games.

I can see ST holders stomaching effectively losing £4-5 a game for a few games where they can’t see them live and can only watch on iFollow but it won’t be long before people start getting restless and saying “it’s been 10 games now so I’m effectively £50 out of pocket vs the man on the street”

You multiply that by 10k people who can’t go to games and it’s that cost which is going to hurt clubs in terms of the hidden lost revenue

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

No crowds on 10:11 - Sep 22 with 1300 viewsitfcjoe

No crowds on 10:02 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

I have no idea.

What do you propose? People are saying they can't take public transport to work but suddenly we can get to football matches (because no way people can drive in cities). The concourses are going to be crowded as are toilets - it could work but is it really that important?

Does having 2000 fans at Fleetwood or Accrington make a huge difference to their income? How many are season ticket holders who have paid and are watching on TV?

It's a really hard situation but there seems to be a mental disconnect in people with regards to the risks of things they might not be bothered about (going to work) and the risks of things they want to do (football, pub, holidays) even though the risks are the practically the same given the same rules.

SB

It needs a lot of thought, but that is all clubs have been doing for months to try and facilitate fans. Did you read the detail put out by the club previously as to how things will go with regards to returning to stadiums as that has a lot of the answers.

Stadiums will have to utilise parking, booked spaces, to discourage public transport - bubbles of households who travel and watch together, etc, etc. Where there is a will there is a way.

The Colchester chairman made an announcement about iFollow yesterday ( https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/september/club-statement/) which basically states that they are making £8k a home game on gate receipts, and would normally make £54k.

They have car parks at the ground, could stop public transport to it and could very easily socially distance 3-4k in the stadium. close the concourses and like the ITFC statement have arrival times, and have people depart row by row etc.

Businesses have always had to be creative to get around problems that present themselves - but they are not being allowed to be in this industry by the Government and are just being killed

No crowds on 10:13 - Sep 22 with 1290 viewsHerbivore

No crowds on 09:57 - Sep 22 by itfcjoe

Surely when they budgeted for the season ahead they did so on the basis there might not be any fans coming into the ground? It seems most clubs have sold season tickets and are offering iFollow for games they can't attend in person, that gives them a fairly big chunk of their regular income.

No crowds on 10:14 - Sep 22 with 1280 viewsjonbull88

No crowds on 10:02 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

I have no idea.

SB

I believe they’ve indicated fans would be given a time slot to get in to Portman Road, to which they will be expected to head straight to their seats, with concourses shut and a queuing system for the loos.
No crowds on 10:15 - Sep 22 with 1271 viewsHerbivore

No crowds on 10:10 - Sep 22 by jonbull88

I agree the idea of going abroad is mad and believe a ban for the rest of the year should be in place, however it’s never going to happen. Even New Zealand’s “closed boarders” haven’t really closed. I’ve known a couple of people come and go from there this year when the boards have been apparently “closed”. Also when it comes to quarantining, how many really stick to it? Cases in Bolton at least have been traced back to someone/people not self isolating. The pubs and restaurants for me is a tricky one. I’ve not been to one in nearly a year anyway due to work and family life, however have seen many pictures about of drinkers not really social distancing and heard stories about restaurants not keeping records of who been in there places etc. All of this makes me think is it really any worse sitting in Portman road?

Not sure we should be basing public health policy on thinking that things aren't really working anyway so we may as well just allow everything.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024