Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst back at Grimsby 20:17 - Dec 29 with 3552 viewsPhilTWTD

At tonight's game, set to be their new manager.
Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:19 - Dec 29 with 3288 viewsJ2BLUE

Meh. Good luck to him. I guess. Maybe. Actual nah, fook him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:20 - Dec 29 with 3295 viewsdominiciawful

Lucky them.

I wonder what their fans make of that as a number of them wanted him out before they eventually got out of the Conference (via a narrow play-off semi-final win over Braintree). Holloway wasn't happy with the way things were there.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:29 - Dec 29 with 3227 viewsjeera

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:20 - Dec 29 by dominiciawful

Lucky them.

I wonder what their fans make of that as a number of them wanted him out before they eventually got out of the Conference (via a narrow play-off semi-final win over Braintree). Holloway wasn't happy with the way things were there.

So that's Grimsby playing in their underpants then.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:33 - Dec 29 with 3219 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I got excited for a moment until I remembered he was the one that left and it is Lambert here now.

I bear him no ill will. I am sure he didn't deliberately make the mess he did. Maybe he has learned from some of his mistakes, maybe not. As long as they don't get the better of us under him, I don't care too much whether he is successful, unsuccessful or somewhere in between.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:43 - Dec 29 with 3179 viewscatch74

Donacien to Grimsby in January then.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:58 - Dec 29 with 3110 viewsSeablu

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:43 - Dec 29 by catch74

Where he’ll play 30 consecutive games, bag 7 goals and win supporter’s player of the season.
Brentford will sign him and he’ll get a season in the PL.
Or we’ll keep him and he’ll drift quietly into our history with the occasional ‘whatever happened to...’ thread to remind us that he’s still here putting the cones out for Lambert’s first choice clowns to trip over.
Blimey, I’m having an unusually negative evening.
Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 21:02 - Dec 29 with 3093 viewscatch74

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:58 - Dec 29 by Seablu

Where he’ll play 30 consecutive games, bag 7 goals and win supporter’s player of the season.
Or we’ll keep him and he’ll drift quietly into our history with the occasional ‘whatever happened to...’ thread to remind us that he’s still here putting the cones out for Lambert’s first choice clowns to trip over.

Sorry to set you off. He definitely deserves to play, hasn’t really let us down when called on this season.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 21:32 - Dec 29 with 3040 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 21:33 - Dec 29 with 3031 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 21:32 - Dec 29 by BryanPlug

LOL

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby (n/t) on 21:51 - Dec 29 with 2967 viewsLowie

Spot on.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 22:06]
(No subject) (n/t) on 21:56 - Dec 29 with 2944 viewsmarchy

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby (n/t) on 21:51 - Dec 29 by Lowie

Spot on.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 22:06]

[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 1:10]
Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 22:04 - Dec 29 with 2891 viewsDarth_Koont

Hurst was awful for us. But then again ME let him rip apart a fairly decent structure and overall squad approach. And spaff a lot of money away too.

That was in the Championship though and I don’t believe he’d have done worse than Lambert post-relegation.

Lambert has been woeful on the whole. Clearly it’s better for everyone if he does actually manage to get us moving in the right direction but I fear that we’re going to be flirting with the playoffs and that’s going to leave us in the same position again in December 2021.

Pronouns: He/Him

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 22:11 - Dec 29 with 2869 viewsjeera

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 22:04 - Dec 29 by Darth_Koont

Hurst was awful for us. But then again ME let him rip apart a fairly decent structure and overall squad approach. And spaff a lot of money away too.

That was in the Championship though and I don’t believe he’d have done worse than Lambert post-relegation.

Lambert has been woeful on the whole. Clearly it’s better for everyone if he does actually manage to get us moving in the right direction but I fear that we’re going to be flirting with the playoffs and that’s going to leave us in the same position again in December 2021.

"But then again ME let him rip apart a fairly decent structure and overall squad approach. And spaff a lot of money away too."

Every time a manager fails it highlights the need for leadership.

Yeah the DoF title gets thrown around a lot, despite not being a common term until recent years, but we don't have so much as a board. To me that's what's been missing for years, no collective [knowledgeable] mind to make the big decisions and to answer to.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 23:48]

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 22:14 - Dec 29 with 2864 viewsPJH

In hindsight we should not have appointed Hurst at all.

edit-I would think that ME regrets a number of decisions that he has made but I would be surprised if the one that he regrets the most was anything other than the appointment of Hurst.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 22:17]
Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 22:34 - Dec 29 with 2814 viewsRadlett_blue

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:58 - Dec 29 by Seablu

I think Donacien is out of contract in the summer so we mightas well pay him off & let him go in January as he seems to have little chance of getting a game.
Not a terrible player, just an average tier 3 player for whom Hurst overpaid (like all his buys) & has been on too big a contract for Town to get rid.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 23:14 - Dec 29 with 2747 viewsrgp1

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 22:34 - Dec 29 by Radlett_blue

I think Donacien is out of contract in the summer so we mightas well pay him off & let him go in January as he seems to have little chance of getting a game.
Not a terrible player, just an average tier 3 player for whom Hurst overpaid (like all his buys) & has been on too big a contract for Town to get rid.

I wonder if the Accrington board are still splitting their sides with laughter on the champagne they can drink off the sale of Jackson and Donecian? At least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people!
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 23:15]
Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 23:32 - Dec 29 with 2710 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 22:11 - Dec 29 by jeera

"But then again ME let him rip apart a fairly decent structure and overall squad approach. And spaff a lot of money away too."

Every time a manager fails it highlights the need for leadership.

Yeah the DoF title gets thrown around a lot, despite not being a common term until recent years, but we don't have so much as a board. To me that's what's been missing for years, no collective [knowledgeable] mind to make the big decisions and to answer to.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2020 23:48]

The advice he gets (or at least acts on) is so badly wrong.

If it is coming from Harry Redknapp that is little surprise to me.

He needs to surround himself with better football advisors. In bringing in Dyer and Butcher he is making better decisions but he needs to be making right choices at more important times and a higher level.

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 23:40 - Dec 29 with 2687 viewsjeera

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 23:32 - Dec 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

He needs to surround himself with better football advisors. In bringing in Dyer and Butcher he is making better decisions but he needs to be making right choices at more important times and a higher level.

Yes I agree, that's what I am also saying.

But not just one man like a DoF type position, otherwise it's still a single viewpoint being acted on rather than a balanced consideration that a few members may be able to give.

There needs to be a proper team in charge, yes.

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 00:01 - Dec 30 with 2646 viewsMrTown

Would have done extremely well to do any worse than where we are now.

How Lambert has had so much time when Hurst had 14 odd games is mind blowing.

Purely down to Evans unwillingly to pay up a ludicrous contract he gave out. Lambert must laugh his socks off everyday when he realises he still has 4 years to run on his deal.

Safest job in football now Lambert’s is.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 9:08]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 08:21 - Dec 30 with 2470 viewsDeano69

He will certainly be putting the Grim into Grimsby.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 09:13 - Dec 30 with 2411 viewsMrTown

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 23:32 - Dec 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

He has been making poor decisions at a football level for a decade now. There comes a point when you have to realise, he won't change, they simply are not up to making the correct decisions.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 10:12 - Dec 30 with 2332 viewsWD19

#thoughts&prayers

When we appointed him i recall a really good thread from a Grimsby fan saying how he had been really functional with them, but nothing more...had done OK, but not great..and nobody they cared for him very much.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 12:52]
Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 10:37 - Dec 30 with 2284 viewsFunge

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 20:43 - Dec 29 by catch74

Hopefully for £3.5m
Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 11:12 - Dec 30 with 2227 viewsParisBlue

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 10:12 - Dec 30 by WD19

#thoughts&prayers

When we appointed him i recall a really good thread from a Grimsby fan saying how he had been really functional with them, but nothing more...had done OK, but not great..and nobody they cared for him very much.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2020 12:52]

We took him on the back of 12 good months at Shrewsbury.

It was always a tough gig for whoever took it - small budget and legacy of MM. We may have done better with someone like Potter (can't recall if he was a realistic candidate at the time) on the basis of man-management skills.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 14:01 - Dec 30 with 2091 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Paul Hurst back at Grimsby on 11:12 - Dec 30 by ParisBlue

We took him on the back of 12 good months at Shrewsbury.

It was always a tough gig for whoever took it - small budget and legacy of MM. We may have done better with someone like Potter (can't recall if he was a realistic candidate at the time) on the basis of man-management skills.

I think the main candidates were Jack Ross, Paul Hurst and Nathan Jones. A few others were mentioned and I have no idea who may have been seriously discussed but it did seem to come down to Ross or Hurst. None of those have covered themselves in glory since we chose Hurst.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024