Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who'd be a footballer? 12:59 - Jan 28 with 2489 viewshatch

In my next instalment of things I discovered on transfermrkt in the early hours when struggling to sleep I bring you - former ITFC players that left football early.

There's the likes of Shane Supple that we know about but I've found a whole raft of former loanees and permanents that's career came to a grinding halt soon after ITFC or are now retired with a selection below (Current age in brackets)

I'll work backwards:

Simon Dawkins (33) - Without a club since leaving us July '19
Luke Hyam (29) - Without club since leaving Southend July '20
Danny Rowe (28) - Without club since leaving us July '20
Mustapha Carayol (32) - Without club since leaving Adana Demirspor Oct '20
Michael Crowe (25) - Without a club since leaving Viking FK Jan '21
Tom Adeyemi (29) - Without a club since Jul '19 (now retired through injury?)
Leon Best (34) - Retired at the age of 31
Jordan Spence (30) - Without club since July '20
Cameron Stewart (29) - Retired aged 27 - (due to injuries?)
Paul Anderson (32) - Without a club since leaving Northampton July '20
Paul Taylor (33) - Without a club since leaving Stevenage July '20
Arran Lee-Barrett (36) - Retired aged 30 after spells at Millwall and Bolton
Guirane N'Daw (36) Retired aged 31 after some time in France
Cheick Kourouma (28) - 'Le manager est fin' or whatever his tweet was. Without a club/retired since 2012 so since 19/20 years old.
Reece Brown (29) Retired in 2018 aged 27
Jaime Peters (33) Remarkabkly without a club since leaving us August '12. Didn't have the stature but I loved Peters.
Reece Wabara (29) - Retired in July '17 aged 25
Owen Garvan (32) - without club since leaving St Patricks in Ireland in July '18

There's clearly more recently because of covid-19 and salary caps but where do these players go? The transition from Championship footballer with a few years ahead of you to clubless must be a shock to the system and the bank account. I imagine many go into some form of low level coaching and pick up other professions.

In summary it seems like the 'football market' is saturated with supply - albeit the weakest, injury prone or most financially demanding tend to fall out the system but it makes me very appreciative for having a stable job and career path.
Who'd be a footballer? on 13:04 - Jan 28 with 2437 viewsKieran_Knows

Reece Wabara now runs a really successful clothing company.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:06 - Jan 28 with 2424 viewsclive_baker

Interesting thread Hatch. Some of these will be through choice of course, whether they've made enough money and just don't fancy it, or have higher expectations with regards to the level they want to play at. Other personal choices will come into play, Owen Garvan was a quality player but never had the application or commitment needed to kick on which was a shame. Wabara is an interesting one too, he's prioritised business interests away from football. Others as you say will certainly have been hampered by Covid.

The ones that really surprise me are Danny Rowe, he looked half decent and Lincoln thought a lot of him during his loan spell. Surprised he's not playing for someone. Jaime Peters too, not sure how / why his career was over in his mid 20's, again he had something about him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:07 - Jan 28 with 2415 viewsPlums

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:04 - Jan 28 by Kieran_Knows

As does Leon Best I believe.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:09 - Jan 28 with 2414 viewshype313

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:04 - Jan 28 by Kieran_Knows

And doing very well by all accounts.

Reece Wabara
CEO at Maniére De Voir
1mo - 1 month ago

We are delighted to be featured on the The Sunday Times Fast Track’s 100 fastest growing British companies! Well done team MDV!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:18 - Jan 28 with 2381 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Theres good reason behind a lot of those..... age, injury, being a scumbag, not being good enough, being married to a hollywood star.

Arguably the only surprise name on that list is Danny Rowe.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:20 - Jan 28 with 2362 viewsPlums

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:18 - Jan 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Theres good reason behind a lot of those..... age, injury, being a scumbag, not being good enough, being married to a hollywood star.

Arguably the only surprise name on that list is Danny Rowe.

I think Hyam’s a surprise too. From Championship starter to no club in that timeframe is a big fall.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:27 - Jan 28 with 2337 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:20 - Jan 28 by Plums

I think Hyam’s a surprise too. From Championship starter to no club in that timeframe is a big fall.

The reason i didnt include him was his terrible injury record.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:33 - Jan 28 with 2327 viewsIllinoisblue

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:20 - Jan 28 by Plums

Hyam’s demise somewhat similar to Westlake’s. Championship regular to nowhere in just a few years .

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:40 - Jan 28 with 2296 viewshomer_123

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:33 - Jan 28 by Illinoisblue

Hyam’s demise somewhat similar to Westlake’s. Championship regular to nowhere in just a few years .

Westlake was due to bad knees. They were shot by the time he left here.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 13:40]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:42 - Jan 28 with 2297 viewsPhilTWTD

Injuries the issue in both cases, I think. I was speaking to a Southend journalist last season and they said Hyam hadn't really ever got going there.
Who'd be a footballer? on 13:42 - Jan 28 with 2285 viewsclive_baker

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:09 - Jan 28 by hype313

And doing very well by all accounts.

Reece Wabara
CEO at Maniére De Voir
1mo - 1 month ago

We are delighted to be featured on the The Sunday Times Fast Track’s 100 fastest growing British companies! Well done team MDV!

A quick stalk on companies house showed they were sitting on £1.2m of stock at the end of 2019. They're either terrible at managing inventory, or more likely he's running a decent sized operation. Given it looks like they made a net profit of £750k for the year I would suggest the latter. Fair play to him.

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:42 - Jan 28 with 2290 viewsDanTheMan

Does anybody know what the story was with Jaime Peters, after he left us?

He never seemed like too bad of a player, definitely could have carved himself out a career.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:46 - Jan 28 with 2272 viewsclive_baker

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:42 - Jan 28 by DanTheMan

He never seemed like too bad of a player, definitely could have carved himself out a career.

Weird one innit. Highly rated as a kid, rejected Chelsea & Man United, plays 100 odd times for an upper Championship side and was more than decent in various positions, regular full international for Canada then nothing before he's mid 20's. I don't remember him having too many injuries, maybe he just didn't fancy it.

Who'd be a footballer? on 14:00 - Jan 28 with 2218 viewsPhilTWTD

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:42 - Jan 28 by DanTheMan

I don't think he was actually that interested in football. Someone told me he was always more into North American sports and never really had a passion for the game. I think he had trials in Canada after he left here but never got anywhere.
Who'd be a footballer? on 14:05 - Jan 28 with 2184 viewshatch

Who'd be a footballer? on 14:00 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

I don't think he was actually that interested in football. Someone told me he was always more into North American sports and never really had a passion for the game. I think he had trials in Canada after he left here but never got anywhere.

Could have pursued a dance career? I'm desperately trying to find footage of him joining Haynes for a dance routine celebration - my favourite being at Watford in the FA Cup when it was offside and they didn't realise.

EDIT: found a still of the celebration at Watford

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/jaime-peters-and-danny-haynes-of-ipswich-to
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 14:13]
Who'd be a footballer? on 14:06 - Jan 28 with 2177 viewsfootball89

Makes me think we could be the last club for a few of those out of contract in the summer. Especially with the salary cap and squad restrictions.
Who'd be a footballer? on 14:36 - Jan 28 with 2082 viewsIllinoisblue

Who'd be a footballer? on 13:42 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

Injuries the issue in both cases, I think. I was speaking to a Southend journalist last season and they said Hyam hadn't really ever got going there.

To go from top level footballer to “wtf do I do now” must be quite the situation to deal with. Aged 30 and having to start again in life.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Who'd be a footballer? on 14:37 - Jan 28 with 2079 viewsFixed_It

Who'd be a footballer? on 14:05 - Jan 28 by hatch

Could have pursued a dance career? I'm desperately trying to find footage of him joining Haynes for a dance routine celebration - my favourite being at Watford in the FA Cup when it was offside and they didn't realise.

EDIT: found a still of the celebration at Watford

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/jaime-peters-and-danny-haynes-of-ipswich-to
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 14:13]

'Does my ar$e look big in this?'

It was funny - we were all screaming at them to get back!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Who'd be a footballer? on 14:38 - Jan 28 with 2075 viewstractorboy1978

I imagine a lot of footballers fall out of love with it even if they did have a passion for it when they started out. It's an ugly game isn't it - you hear all sorts of stories about the politics involved and players getting screwed over etc. Once you start chasing contracts at lower league clubs on 'normal money' - £1k a week, I imagine to a lot it isn't worth it.

Hyam could get a few hundred quid a week knocking about at the likes of Leiston/Stowmarket.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 14:41]
Who'd be a footballer? on 15:12 - Jan 28 with 1998 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

We should get Mustapha Carayol back in. He looked decent to me. i don't know why we never offered him a contract, he couldn't have wanted too much and it would've been a fairly cheap gamble.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Who'd be a footballer? on 15:15 - Jan 28 with 1988 viewsPhilTWTD

Who'd be a footballer? on 14:36 - Jan 28 by Illinoisblue

To go from top level footballer to “wtf do I do now” must be quite the situation to deal with. Aged 30 and having to start again in life.

Westy had his head screwed on, in property development now, if I remember rightly.
Who'd be a footballer? on 15:38 - Jan 28 with 1934 viewsborge

Didn't someone post a link on here not too long ago to a Canadian football academy where he was one of the coaches?
Who'd be a footballer? on 19:06 - Jan 28 with 1814 viewsistanblue

Mustapha Carayol was great for us on the occasions he played. Guess it was injuries that led the club deciding against extending his contract.
Who'd be a footballer? on 19:31 - Jan 28 with 1772 viewsAce_High1

Westlake was the one I thought of.

One of the first names on the team sheet here when we were competing for the playoffs year in year out, then goes to Leeds (a big club) plays a few years and then all but disappears.

Very quick decline.

And Westlake was related to one of the only bits of def info I ever had, was at the Nuffield when Dan Harding was having his medical (2007?) who we signed as part of the deal with Westlake going to Leeds.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 19:32]
Who'd be a footballer? on 19:34 - Jan 28 with 1763 viewsAce_High1

And the thing is so much squad filler, taking up a wage dross on there.

People say we shop in the bargain basement, but the likes of Dawkins stealing a wage off us for 6 months is a waste of time. Why not forget a Dawkins, Rowe, Spence etc, on like £2k each and just get one decent player on £6k.

Quality over quantity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024