Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining 10:15 - Feb 27 with 3690 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Thinking about it this morning, the only reason to retain what seems to be a really arbitrary percentage is if he can see that with the planned investment Town are likely to be sold at a huge profit in 5-10 years.

That alone, makes me very interested in what the proposed plans are with ITFC, and it can't just be promotion to the Championship.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:16 - Feb 27 with 3309 viewsJakeITFC

Evans remaining invested in some small part can only be good news for the club.
This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:24 - Feb 27 with 3232 viewsRadlett_blue

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:16 - Feb 27 by JakeITFC

It gives Evans a small hope of getting back some more of his money, but there might also be tax reasons for him not selling out completely.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:25 - Feb 27 with 3223 viewsRegencyBlue

Why?
This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:26 - Feb 27 with 3221 viewsbluefunk

European sport is different to the States in that you can gain promotion, and therefore revenue, by on field performance, rather than waiting to accumulate enough cash and influence to buy into the top leagues. It’s the flip side of the current European Super League debate, where the big clubs are trying to move to the USA model to secure revenue.

In a perfect world, Town become a well run club, enjoy the benefits of cooperation with other clubs in the group and on field success follows, by which the revenue earned grows. If Marcus believes that is possible, then he will retain some involvement - so he clearly does believe. And there are examples where the right off field structure has paid dividends not far from us

For what it’s worth, I think this could deliver where Marcus approach didn’t, based mainly on getting in the right people in the jobs that aren’t being done effectively right now
This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:26 - Feb 27 with 3212 viewsLord_Lucan

Yes.

I wouldn't bet against ME buying it back if we got into the Prem

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:28 - Feb 27 with 3190 viewsCheltenham_Blue

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:26 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

Yes.

I would.

He can't afford to run us now. How is he ever going to afford a Premier League club?

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:29 - Feb 27 with 3177 viewsRadlett_blue

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:28 - Feb 27 by Cheltenham_Blue

I would.

He can't afford to run us now. How is he ever going to afford a Premier League club?

Indeed, I'm sure Evans's aim when he bought Town was to spend a few £m, get promoted & established in the PL & then sell the club on for a juicy profit.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:33 - Feb 27 with 3126 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:34 - Feb 27 with 3106 viewspointofblue

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:25 - Feb 27 by RegencyBlue

Why?

The only thing I can think of, which I mentioned last night, is he may step in if the American takeover doesn’t work out, rather than see his investment fall apart completely.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:35 - Feb 27 with 3096 viewsBryanPlug

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:25 - Feb 27 by RegencyBlue

Why?

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:37 - Feb 27 with 3066 viewsCheltenham_Blue

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:33 - Feb 27 by BryanPlug

He'll never get a positive chant. For all the money he's put in, his constant corner cutting has taken us from a competitive Championship side, with a Premier league stadium, to an uncompetitive League one side with a dilapidated stadium.

I don't hate the guy and I hope he has a small part of our hopeful future success, but he was quickly out of his depth here, and his, frankly, arrogant, refusal to admit that has condemned us to our current state.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 10:38]

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:38 - Feb 27 with 3063 viewswkj

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:33 - Feb 27 by BryanPlug

Evans' biggest flaw is that he never built a team of football savvy generals to help make decisions and be a consistent presence at the club. I feel like some of the managers have compared to kids behaving like they have a substitute teacher. Evans has taken his manager's word for it far too often and his MDs have always appeared little more than spokesmen.

Evans was never going to be able to succeed here with his hands off approach without a solid person at the top. As part of a group of investors though... he may well do as you mentioned.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:39 - Feb 27 with 3050 viewsGuthrum

It also allows Evans to continue in his relationship with Ipswich Town Football Club.

The fact that things have gone a little sour doesn't mean Evans personally has lost all emotional attachment to something with which he has been involved for over thirteen years. Think how many matches he has attended, all the people at the club he has got to know. He may be a businessman, but is also a human being.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:47 - Feb 27 with 2948 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It's sensible on his part.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:48 - Feb 27 with 2937 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:28 - Feb 27 by Cheltenham_Blue

I would.

That's the only place a club makes money to be fair.

Even if it's break even v big losses.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 11:44 - Feb 27 with 2781 viewsWD19

It’s a no brainer. It’s a small %. It benefits the buyers because it helps reassure the masses that they are good eggs (‘because Evans would stay involved with them otherwise’). The value of the stake (less than 1m?) is unlikely to go up or down massively in real terms. Evans can signal that he cared/cares about the club.
This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 11:51 - Feb 27 with 2729 viewsSwansea_Blue

What? Keeping on the guy who's overseen our fall to the lowest league position in 60 odd years and racked up £100m in debt doing so is a good thing?

I'd hate to see what bad news for the club would look like.

As long as it's only on paper and he has no presence or input whatsoever into decision making and running of the club, then I suppose it doesn't matter. But if he has any say on anything, that's the worst news I've heard about this takeover.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 12:03 - Feb 27 with 2669 viewsWeWereZombies

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 11:44 - Feb 27 by WD19

It’s a no brainer. It’s a small %. It benefits the buyers because it helps reassure the masses that they are good eggs (‘because Evans would stay involved with them otherwise’). The value of the stake (less than 1m?) is unlikely to go up or down massively in real terms. Evans can signal that he cared/cares about the club.

It is not unusual in takeovers to see someone from the old business kept on, sometimes it is how the new owners find out 'where the bodies are buried' and sometimes it is just to give the surviving staff a bit of comfort and a sense of continuity. But it usually does not take long for the presence to be ignored and their input to wane.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 12:25 - Feb 27 with 2579 viewsreusersfreekicks

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 11:51 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

What? Keeping on the guy who's overseen our fall to the lowest league position in 60 odd years and racked up £100m in debt doing so is a good thing?

As long as it's only on paper and he has no presence or input whatsoever into decision making and running of the club, then I suppose it doesn't matter. But if he has any say on anything, that's the worst news I've heard about this takeover.

Think that's over egging it a bit. Doubt he will have much off a say in things at the club.
This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 12:53 - Feb 27 with 2487 viewsRegencyBlue

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:35 - Feb 27 by BryanPlug

I can see him caring about getting more of his money back, that’s about it!

As for crooked behaviour, he’s been described as the worlds biggest ticket tout and there was an arrest warrant for his arrest out in Brazil so ..................!
This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 12:58 - Feb 27 with 2447 viewsJakeITFC

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 11:51 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

He won’t have a say in anything.
This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 13:12 - Feb 27 with 2369 viewsArnieM

Evans retaining 5% holding would probably pay off ( and some), his £100m debt. So of course he’s happy to write it off at point of sale I’d suggest,

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 13:18 - Feb 27 with 2328 viewsLord_Lucan

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 12:53 - Feb 27 by RegencyBlue

I can see him caring about getting more of his money back, that’s about it!

As for crooked behaviour, he’s been described as the worlds biggest ticket tout and there was an arrest warrant for his arrest out in Brazil so ..................!

No one can deny that ME has been custody in what what has been our darkest times.

But I can't understand the hate for a man who has kept us afloat to the tune of £6m a year at a time that the whole structure of football has changed.

He failed, sometimes we all fail.

I find it quite depressing actually.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 13:30 - Feb 27 with 2254 viewsCheltenham_Blue

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 13:18 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

No one can deny that ME has been custody in what what has been our darkest times.

But I can't understand the hate for a man who has kept us afloat to the tune of £6m a year at a time that the whole structure of football has changed.

He failed, sometimes we all fail.

I find it quite depressing actually.

I don't think that there's much 'Hate' for Evans bar the odd poster, but there is huge disappointment and a pervasive feeling of being led down the garden path.

At the same time, I really don't understand the love in that has happened around Marcus because of the £4m-£6m he has supposedly 'put in', I put that in inverted commas, because he hasn't actually put any cash in at all, he's loaned us the money, and the 5% shows he still wants his money back too.

He's kept us afloat, but no more than any other owner, of any other football club up and down the land has kept their own club afloat, but with us, it was at the cost of our league position.

Evans is no saint because of the money he's put in, even Harold Shipman saved the lives of some of his patients.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 13:31]

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 13:36 - Feb 27 with 2218 viewsSkip_Intro

This 5% that Marcus seems to be retaining on 10:26 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

Yes.

I'm not sure he'd write off 75m of debt if that were the case...wouldn't he be better off investing in the club (with backing from others) and keeping his majority share?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024