Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh Britain. 02:43 - May 23 with 2230 viewsSpruceMoose

You really are in an abusive relationship, ain't ya?

[Post edited 23 May 2021 2:46]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Oh Britain. on 06:51 - May 23 with 2077 viewsBlueBadger

Yes, but the fella in red's HAIRCUT.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Oh Britain. on 07:05 - May 23 with 2054 viewsm14_blue

That’s just mad.
Oh Britain. on 07:51 - May 23 with 1972 viewsElderGrizzly

Literally a video of him repeatedly lying too, seen by almost 20 million

Oh Britain. on 08:17 - May 23 with 1895 viewsHerbivore

Definitely not a cult.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Oh Britain. on 08:22 - May 23 with 1866 viewsfooters

I've more or less given up on British politics. Seriously, sod it. Seems folk like us are so out of touch with the general public that it's pointless to even argue at this point - and the more you push back, the more you're told you need to pander to these people and change your views to suit them.

So feck 'em tbh. No skin off my nose.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Oh Britain. on 08:47 - May 23 with 1805 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Oh Britain. on 08:22 - May 23 by footers

I've more or less given up on British politics. Seriously, sod it. Seems folk like us are so out of touch with the general public that it's pointless to even argue at this point - and the more you push back, the more you're told you need to pander to these people and change your views to suit them.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Oh Britain. on 08:53 - May 23 with 1755 viewsnoggin

Telling us not to self harm, just makes us more determined to self harm.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Oh Britain. on 08:59 - May 23 with 1704 viewsBlueNomad

The problem is - it is skin off our noses.
Login to get fewer ads

Oh Britain. on 09:01 - May 23 with 1691 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah, we're fecked.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Oh Britain. on 09:16 - May 23 with 1643 viewsGuthrum

The most significant number in there is the "Don't Know", suggesting there is an all-round distrust of politicians and a weariness over constant spin.

That is a serious issue and suggests reform, better presentation and more intelligent discourse is badly needed. Less of the "oh yes it is .... oh no it isn't" and the bland "any thing you can do, I can do better" kind of debate, for example. The constant tribal bickering and refusal to work together on anything. The bare-faced denial of plain facts.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Oh Britain. on 09:43 - May 23 with 1565 viewsHighgateBlue

Oh Britain. on 09:16 - May 23 by Guthrum

The most significant number in there is the "Don't Know", suggesting there is an all-round distrust of politicians and a weariness over constant spin.

That is a serious issue and suggests reform, better presentation and more intelligent discourse is badly needed. Less of the "oh yes it is .... oh no it isn't" and the bland "any thing you can do, I can do better" kind of debate, for example. The constant tribal bickering and refusal to work together on anything. The bare-faced denial of plain facts.

Yes, that's by far the most significant number. But the fact that many people don't have an opinion as to which of those two people is more honest mainly demonstrates either a lack of knowledge about what they've been saying, or a lack of knowledge about the underlying facts of which they are speaking.

Starmer has not been able to get very much airtime in the last 18 months. There will be many who think that's his fault. It's also caused by the fact that being in opposition during a pandemic and so far from a general election is hard. And he plainly isn't very charismatic, which would be a good way to at least become known by the public (for better or worse). He doesn't have vocal accolytes singing songs about him like Corbyn did, which would again for better or worse raise his profile.

So I think it is to a large extent people not really knowing much about Starmer, in addition to the whole "they're all as bad as each other" resignation.

What one must bear in mind is that the Tories are getting more votes DESPITE the public not knowing or not caring which leader is more truthful. Does that mean that the public don't really care about honesty in politicians as long as they are perceived to "get things done"?
Oh Britain. on 09:45 - May 23 with 1550 viewsm14_blue

Oh Britain. on 08:59 - May 23 by BlueNomad

The problem is - it is skin off our noses.

For many of us it isn't though.

I'm mid thirties, married, homeowner and both my wife and I earn an ok wage.

We'll be fine.

The people who won't be fine are those much less well off, and the most vulnerable in our society. The really weird thing is that, in many cases, it's those people who are the turkeys voting for Christmas whilst deriding the people trying to improve their lot.
Oh Britain. on 09:50 - May 23 with 1515 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed.

The politicians are a sh!tshow but let’s be under no illusions that our media and commentariat are as bad if not worse.

Rather than a representational democracy, we’re looking in on a marketplace trading power, influence and money among themselves. And most people understand it’s all a racket.

Pronouns: He/Him

Oh Britain. on 10:13 - May 23 with 1433 viewsGuthrum

Oh Britain. on 09:43 - May 23 by HighgateBlue

Yes, that's by far the most significant number. But the fact that many people don't have an opinion as to which of those two people is more honest mainly demonstrates either a lack of knowledge about what they've been saying, or a lack of knowledge about the underlying facts of which they are speaking.

Starmer has not been able to get very much airtime in the last 18 months. There will be many who think that's his fault. It's also caused by the fact that being in opposition during a pandemic and so far from a general election is hard. And he plainly isn't very charismatic, which would be a good way to at least become known by the public (for better or worse). He doesn't have vocal accolytes singing songs about him like Corbyn did, which would again for better or worse raise his profile.

So I think it is to a large extent people not really knowing much about Starmer, in addition to the whole "they're all as bad as each other" resignation.

What one must bear in mind is that the Tories are getting more votes DESPITE the public not knowing or not caring which leader is more truthful. Does that mean that the public don't really care about honesty in politicians as long as they are perceived to "get things done"?

In recent decades politicians have not had a great reputation in large parts of the country for getting things done, in terms of improving the economy, getting more and better jobs, resurrecting public services and so on. However much talk was being done.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Oh Britain. on 10:17 - May 23 with 1414 viewsDarth_Koont

Oh Britain. on 09:45 - May 23 by m14_blue

We'll be fine.

The people who won't be fine are those much less well off, and the most vulnerable in our society. The really weird thing is that, in many cases, it's those people who are the turkeys voting for Christmas whilst deriding the people trying to improve their lot.

I agree that it does matter – and to the people who are most vulnerable and least represented.

But I think support for traditional politics and its main actors just deepens that problem. I think being political by supporting the better unions, movements pushing for change like BLM and XR or anti-establishment parties like the SNP and the Greens is the way to go.

The belief that red vs. blue is the only game in town is becoming increasingly outdated IMO. Indeed the biggest political movements and agents of change in the last decade or more have been the SNP and UKIP/Brexit/VoteLeave. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the next big shift is along the lines of a PR/Green alliance.

Oh Britain. on 10:33 - May 23 with 1356 viewspointofblue

Oh Britain. on 10:17 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

I agree that it does matter – and to the people who are most vulnerable and least represented.

But I think support for traditional politics and its main actors just deepens that problem. I think being political by supporting the better unions, movements pushing for change like BLM and XR or anti-establishment parties like the SNP and the Greens is the way to go.

The belief that red vs. blue is the only game in town is becoming increasingly outdated IMO. Indeed the biggest political movements and agents of change in the last decade or more have been the SNP and UKIP/Brexit/VoteLeave. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the next big shift is along the lines of a PR/Green alliance.

But PR/Green needs to present how this approach will supposedly improve people’s lot, and unfortunately “it’s good for the planet” is not an acceptable argument for many if it affects their household bills or diet. Brexit and Scottish Independence gained momentum through the perception that the grass is greener on the other side; something both PR and Green issues have failed to do, despite the advantages being more objective than leaving a union. The positive argument hasn’t cut through to the needed extent, not yet at least.

I guess the only plus from the OP is Johnson has at least dropped five points from the previous poll.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Oh Britain. on 10:36 - May 23 with 1340 viewsnoggin

Oh Britain. on 10:33 - May 23 by pointofblue

But PR/Green needs to present how this approach will supposedly improve people’s lot, and unfortunately “it’s good for the planet” is not an acceptable argument for many if it affects their household bills or diet. Brexit and Scottish Independence gained momentum through the perception that the grass is greener on the other side; something both PR and Green issues have failed to do, despite the advantages being more objective than leaving a union. The positive argument hasn’t cut through to the needed extent, not yet at least.

I guess the only plus from the OP is Johnson has at least dropped five points from the previous poll.

Yeah, what good is the planet if I can't afford to get a pizza delivered?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Oh Britain. on 10:55 - May 23 with 1293 viewsDarth_Koont

Oh Britain. on 10:33 - May 23 by pointofblue

Of course, there isn’t a PR/Green alliance yet so it’s academic.

But I agree with that. There needs to be a vision of how that translates into being better for those who perhaps don’t care about PR or Green issues. Unfortunately, the benefits of having your voice heard and restructuring the economy to provide fairer terms for the majority puts the Labour Party in the crosshairs just as much as the Tories.

Which is why the current lot in charge will never go for it. Never mind that as individuals they seem to prefer to have the perks and benefits of controlling the left flank of the establishment, even if that means they’re not in power.

But if they want to stand against an alliance then it can help draw the lines and sharpen the argument in terms of a red/blue elite that cares more about itself than the country and its people.
[Post edited 23 May 2021 10:56]

Oh Britain. on 11:15 - May 23 with 1243 viewsDarth_Koont

Oh Britain. on 09:43 - May 23 by HighgateBlue

Problem for Starmer and Labour is that because of the lack of urgency in standing for anything except a muddle of platitudes, casual observers don’t know what he and the party stand for so they don’t trust him.

That’s exacerbated by the not-so-casual observers who have seen the breaking of pledges and a distancing from democracy and unity within the party and who also don’t trust him or his agenda.

So two leaders that are untrustworthy. And even the more obviously untrustworthy Boris has a “deceit you can trust”, “Boris being Boris” factor which puts him at the same level overall.

Oh Britain. on 12:29 - May 23 with 1164 viewsBlueBadger

Oh Britain. on 08:17 - May 23 by Herbivore

Definitely not a cult.

You appear to have made a spelling error.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Oh Britain. on 12:53 - May 23 with 1120 viewsDubtractor

Oh Britain. on 09:45 - May 23 by m14_blue

We'll be fine.

I was going to post something similar, albeit replace mid 30s with mid 40s.

From a selfish point of view I should prob vote Conservative, but I can't do it!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Oh Britain. on 13:21 - May 23 with 1059 viewsSpruceMoose

Oh Britain. on 12:53 - May 23 by Dubtractor

From a selfish point of view I should prob vote Conservative, but I can't do it!

You two fellas are spot on.

From a purely selfish point of view we would more likely be much better off under a Republican government (aside from them refusing to acknowledge climate change is real). Even under Trump, until the pandemic began, we weren't really impacted by things.

Unfortunately I have this pesky trait of being concerned with the welfare of others in society, and I really dislike cheats and con artists.

It just staggered me that 25% of respondents still haven't worked out, or just don't care that Johnson lies as easily as breathing.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

It’s unbelievable - but most media outlets in the UK drive this misconception on 13:31 - May 23 with 1039 viewsunstableblue

… that Boris is hugely competent and good for the nation

I know the BBC are also criticised for not calling out the Tory government more…. But if the BBC is dismantled or defunded the country sill lurch further into this silly conservatism, small mindedness and little Englander mind set

This is the worst cabinet in living memory, corrupt, incompetent, and driving a hard Brexit agenda that will weaken the country and increase social division

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Oh Britain. on 13:51 - May 23 with 988 viewsjeera

Oh Britain. on 12:53 - May 23 by Dubtractor

Not to forget buddy either, that circumstances can change.

Best to look at the long term good all round, definitely.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024