Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? 09:33 - Jun 24 with 3359 viewsgordon

Any number of the players we're trying to bomb out could just say well actually I've got a contract here, I'm settled in Ipswich personally, and I'd quite like to wait and see if there's going to be a change in manager by October which could see me back in the frame.

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:45 - Jun 24 with 2405 viewsWeWereZombies

But if they are playing the 'grease me or I'll seize up' game then a new manager coming in may not have a great impression of them too. I think the safer option is for them to prove Cook wrong by playing to the full extent of their powers and winning a place in the first eleven rather than pinning their hopes on the contingency of a change of manager (which in the way football operates will happen at some time but for it to happen as early as October could then tip Town into further decline.)
[Post edited 24 Jun 2021 10:33]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:47 - Jun 24 with 2369 viewsfooters

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:45 - Jun 24 by WeWereZombies

But if they are playing the 'grease me or I'll seize up' game then a new manager coming in may not have a great impression of them too. I think the safer option is for them to prove Cook wrong by playing to the full extent of their powers and winning a place in the first eleven rather than pinning their hopes on the contingency of a change of manager (which in the way football operates will happen at some time but for it to happen as early as October could then tip Town into further decline.)
[Post edited 24 Jun 2021 10:33]

There's nothing alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:49 - Jun 24 with 2367 viewstextbackup

head down, try to prove to the manager you are worthy of a place in first team squad. if your best then isn't deemed good enough have an adult conversation with manager about a loan elsewhere.
or is that too hard?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:53 - Jun 24 with 2319 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:49 - Jun 24 by textbackup

head down, try to prove to the manager you are worthy of a place in first team squad. if your best then isn't deemed good enough have an adult conversation with manager about a loan elsewhere.
or is that too hard?

It's too hard for a lot of our supporters to figure out, who seem so wedded to our players, even the massively underperforming ones, that there is tangible 'hurt' for the way they've been bombed out by Cook.

Rather than anger at the fact it's becoming clear that a good number were just going through the motions here.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:57 - Jun 24 with 2267 viewstextbackup

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:53 - Jun 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

It's too hard for a lot of our supporters to figure out, who seem so wedded to our players, even the massively underperforming ones, that there is tangible 'hurt' for the way they've been bombed out by Cook.

Rather than anger at the fact it's becoming clear that a good number were just going through the motions here.

they needed tough love IMO, being told they were really really really really really good weekly by Lambert, when infact they were fcking hopless had them believing they were decent players.

if they aren't up for the challenge cook sets them, then stay in the 23's and waste career

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:59 - Jun 24 with 2256 viewsBlue_Order

There’s probably still a bit of toxicity lingering in the air there from the time we burnt it down anyway.
Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:00 - Jun 24 with 2240 viewsbobbyramsey

Sensible players wouldn't behave like that..............

Which is probably why they're training with the U23's in the first place.
Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:00 - Jun 24 with 2233 viewsfooters

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 09:59 - Jun 24 by Blue_Order

There’s probably still a bit of toxicity lingering in the air there from the time we burnt it down anyway.

Haven't you been in hiding from the police ever since?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:09 - Jun 24 with 2181 viewsitfcjoe

Is this not why Cook has put so many in 23s? So that any toxicity is kept away from his first team

Whilst trying to overturn the squad he can’t be concerned about disgruntled players in 23s - it has to be out of sight and out of mind and to hope that those players being bombed out are able to get on with it and not disrupt Dyer and Butcher too much

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:13 - Jun 24 with 2112 viewsMrTown

I don’t think he will be particularly that concerned with that.

He wants to build his small group of players, his small first team squad to work with, barring a few exceptions due to loans and injuries, everybody has had their chance to play and work under him.

He makes the decisions, if he wants some away from his core group players then that is fine with me.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:20 - Jun 24 with 2054 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:09 - Jun 24 by itfcjoe

Is this not why Cook has put so many in 23s? So that any toxicity is kept away from his first team

Whilst trying to overturn the squad he can’t be concerned about disgruntled players in 23s - it has to be out of sight and out of mind and to hope that those players being bombed out are able to get on with it and not disrupt Dyer and Butcher too much

Baffled by how many seem to be bending over backwards to conclude there is some kind of masterful motivational approach, seemingly based on what I’m guessing is a pretty standard line on the bottom of the leaked notice

Alternatively we have a manager that has referred to himself as demolition man and frequently made clear there will be wholesale changes. Respected journalists and well connected posters who have confirmed a number of players have been told they can leave. And Brett Johnson who has also publicly made clear that a very small number of the squad are being retained. Rather more likely that those players are there as they are surplus to requirements, isn’t it?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:25 - Jun 24 with 2005 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Wouldn't have thought so.

Most of those players either know they are leaving / want to leave, or will get their heads down to try to get in the first XI.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:25 - Jun 24 with 2003 viewsHipsterectomy

I have no idea what Kayden Jackson is like as a person, but it’s the second time he’s now been banished to our reserves, under two different managers. As some pointed out at the time, he was caught sarcastically smirking behind the manager’s back one game. It would be strange if he is problematic/has a big ego as he’s done nothing as a player

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:27 - Jun 24 with 1966 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:25 - Jun 24 by Hipsterectomy

I have no idea what Kayden Jackson is like as a person, but it’s the second time he’s now been banished to our reserves, under two different managers. As some pointed out at the time, he was caught sarcastically smirking behind the manager’s back one game. It would be strange if he is problematic/has a big ego as he’s done nothing as a player

Id question any one who appears on Judge Rinder.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:27 - Jun 24 with 1972 viewsMookamoo

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:20 - Jun 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Baffled by how many seem to be bending over backwards to conclude there is some kind of masterful motivational approach, seemingly based on what I’m guessing is a pretty standard line on the bottom of the leaked notice

Alternatively we have a manager that has referred to himself as demolition man and frequently made clear there will be wholesale changes. Respected journalists and well connected posters who have confirmed a number of players have been told they can leave. And Brett Johnson who has also publicly made clear that a very small number of the squad are being retained. Rather more likely that those players are there as they are surplus to requirements, isn’t it?

It is also a clear indication to those we're targeting they will be the ones who will form the new squad and will be guaranteed playing time, no matter what anyone thinks of Downes/Dobra etc ability/hype.
Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:29 - Jun 24 with 1939 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:27 - Jun 24 by Mookamoo

It is also a clear indication to those we're targeting they will be the ones who will form the new squad and will be guaranteed playing time, no matter what anyone thinks of Downes/Dobra etc ability/hype.

It’s really not, as they won’t have any knowledge of it unless they read TWTD and wouldn’t even have that had it not been leaked

Cook will be telling them that anyway

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:31 - Jun 24 with 1924 viewsGuthrum

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:20 - Jun 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

In which case, why not just pay them off and be done with it? Only one or two (Downes, Bishop) are likely to be worth any kind of reasonable fee*. There might be another club lining up for Kenlock, too.

Apart from that, everyone on the U23 list (including Dobra and Lankester) could genuinely be placed in that category. Even those two have not made so many appearances for the First Team that they could really be classed as established members thereof.

* Edit: Jackson, too. Forgot about him.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2021 10:35]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:32 - Jun 24 with 1917 viewsButterbing

I don't really get the problem here. They have been told that they are not in the manager's plans and should find themselves a new club. Professional footballers would understand that, it's fairly standard for football clubs. Why should the club still include these players in training with the first team when the majority of them will not be playing in the first team?
Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:37 - Jun 24 with 1850 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:31 - Jun 24 by Guthrum

In which case, why not just pay them off and be done with it? Only one or two (Downes, Bishop) are likely to be worth any kind of reasonable fee*. There might be another club lining up for Kenlock, too.

Apart from that, everyone on the U23 list (including Dobra and Lankester) could genuinely be placed in that category. Even those two have not made so many appearances for the First Team that they could really be classed as established members thereof.

Because we’d have to pay up their contracts, which wouldn’t necessarily be the case if there is a taker even on a free, or a nominal amount to help settle the difference in wages (I’m guessing that’s what happened with Hawkins)

That said I suspect that players like Jackson and Dobra could probably command a small fee given there’s been a fair bit of reported interest over the past year - probably more so than Bishop in fact

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:40 - Jun 24 with 1836 viewsitfcjoe

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:31 - Jun 24 by Guthrum

Once players fully graduate from the 23s to the first team they very, very rarely go back, if ever - unless there is a big issue.

To state that it can easily be argued that Lankester and Dobra can be justified in being there misses that point, if we had 22-24 players in the first team then would be easier to argue - but that simply isn’t the case. They are first teamers, that they are down there is as noteworthy as Downes, Jackson etc being there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:49 - Jun 24 with 1779 viewsGuthrum

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:37 - Jun 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Because we’d have to pay up their contracts, which wouldn’t necessarily be the case if there is a taker even on a free, or a nominal amount to help settle the difference in wages (I’m guessing that’s what happened with Hawkins)

That said I suspect that players like Jackson and Dobra could probably command a small fee given there’s been a fair bit of reported interest over the past year - probably more so than Bishop in fact

Tho the likes of Kenlock, Dobra and Lankester are not going to be on massive wages, with only a year - or, in Dobra's case, two - left on their contracts, so it wouldn't cost that much. Seems odd to be haggling over £50k or so after all the players we've released who might have also been sold.

I think you're right that Dobra could be worth a better fee than most, but there also seems to be some noises (and comments from Phil) that he's more likely to be staying, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:50 - Jun 24 with 1775 viewsBlue_Order

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:00 - Jun 24 by footers

Haven't you been in hiding from the police ever since?

We’re still holed up on Rushmere Heath. The police seem to have called off their search, but Lee O’Neill is still out here most nights with his dog and a torch.

Poor bloke just can’t let it go.
Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:50 - Jun 24 with 1765 viewsbobbyramsey

I don't really get this. If players are leaving or just not interested in being here, then they have no right to be anywhere near the first team squad, surely?

Common sense to me.....
[Post edited 24 Jun 2021 10:51]
Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:54 - Jun 24 with 1698 viewsNthQldITFC

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:50 - Jun 24 by Blue_Order

We’re still holed up on Rushmere Heath. The police seem to have called off their search, but Lee O’Neill is still out here most nights with his dog and a torch.

Poor bloke just can’t let it go.

One should never use a slipknot on a dog lead.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:55 - Jun 24 with 1692 viewsRyorry

Isn't the atmosphere at Playford Road going to be toxic? on 10:00 - Jun 24 by bobbyramsey

Sensible players wouldn't behave like that..............

Which is probably why they're training with the U23's in the first place.

If there are only 11 first-teamers remaining, isn't it just a matter of pragmatism to have them training with the U23s - otherwise what training games are they going to do - 5-a side?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024