Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? 10:27 - Jul 23 with 5278 viewsnasblue

Realistically it’s going to be very difficult for an almost all new team to hit the ground running straight away. I fear that people are already too giddy and people don’t have the patience to wait a few months if we don’t kick on.

I have confidence in the owners that they’ll give Paul at least 6/10 months but just fear the fans don’t have the same sensible approach.
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:29 - Jul 23 with 2838 viewsOsborneOneNil

An average start followed by a good middle and end would make a refreshing change.
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:30 - Jul 23 with 2833 viewsKeno

nah, HMS P!ss the League is set fair 100 Goals by Christmas, promotion by March, 100 points by Easter

COYBs!!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:31 - Jul 23 with 2834 viewsGavTWTD

Yes I have that fear too. I hope we get a few good results in, some good performances so the fans can see the direction we're going in. Getting a whole new team to gel will probably take time, and may include a few loans to fill gaps.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:32 - Jul 23 with 2809 viewsKeno

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:29 - Jul 23 by OsborneOneNil

An average start followed by a good middle and end would make a refreshing change.

I am confident next season will have a happy ending

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:37 - Jul 23 with 2766 viewsNazemariner

Of course there will be a backlash, as 50% of football fans are utter morons. We could do well this season, but realistically anything in the top 10 will be a good stepping stone to mount a real challenge next season.
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:41 - Jul 23 with 2726 viewsusm

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:30 - Jul 23 by Keno

nah, HMS P!ss the League is set fair 100 Goals by Christmas, promotion by March, 100 points by Easter

COYBs!!!

Had a smoke this morning already I see

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:41 - Jul 23 with 2720 viewsMerseyBlue

I am confident in the team, the manager and the owners, but I am very fearful about this. It will be a tough ask to start strongly with so many changes, no matter the quality. I'm optimistic about the season ahead but I also think patience is required from all. We seem to be on to a good thing, it would be a shame to throw that away before it's had a chance to show it.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:43 - Jul 23 with 2701 viewsTangledupin_Blue

We have our share of impatient supporters, some of whom are already itching to get on Cook's back and whingeing about the warm-up games.

IMO we should have an idea, by about November, of whether our gamble is paying off.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:44 - Jul 23 with 2692 viewsjayessess

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:37 - Jul 23 by Nazemariner

Of course there will be a backlash, as 50% of football fans are utter morons. We could do well this season, but realistically anything in the top 10 will be a good stepping stone to mount a real challenge next season.

No it wouldn't, ffs. 10th would be an absolute disaster.

For the first time in a long time this club actually has some positivity and momentum, we absolutely cannot afford to mess this up and get stuck in the same rut we've been in for 3 years.

There's been so much chat on here about the players "accepting mediocrity" and the club having "low standards". Meekly accepting one of our lowest league finishes in 60 years as part of the process would be the epitome of that.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 10:55]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:45 - Jul 23 with 2677 viewsBlueBadger

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:37 - Jul 23 by Nazemariner

Anything less than top 6 is failure.

Again.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:48 - Jul 23 with 2655 viewsthebooks

There should be a backlash. Cook’s record at the end of last season was awful — I think he’s backed himself into a postion where he has to hit the ground running.

This is the 3rd tier of English football. It’s not a place to build slowly, and that’s not what the new owners are selling, is it?

We’ve spent too long putting up with rubbish. We should be a lot more demanding.
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:49 - Jul 23 with 2653 viewsHighgateBlue

Fans should have some realism and some patience, and I accept that we can't say that anything less than promotion first time constitutes failure. However, if we finish 10th that will be below last year's effort. For me that would not constitute success, or even some kind of stepping stone. I would be disappointed with anything less than 6th to be honest. I quite appreciate how hard it must be to integrate so many new players, especially as some of them will have arrived quite late in pre-season. But it was Cook's choice as to how hard to cut back the deadwood in one go, and if he actually finishes lower than the squad that he considers entirely bin-able, then I think we'd have a right to be disappointed. Backlashes are rarely justified or helpful however. And at least let's give the guy a complete season before anyone gets agitated.

Cook's results last season were very disappointing - his diagnosis is that the players weren't up to it (and maybe also not up for it). I'm very happy to proceed on the basis that he is right. I don't judge him on last season. But I think we have a right to expect an improvement in terms of results. He will have had time and money. I think the realistic goals should be top six this year, top two the season after. If he doesn't meet those targets, it'll be a question of seeing how far he fell short, and why.
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:50 - Jul 23 with 2642 viewsjaykay

i can see 15 points on the board after our first 5 games.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:53 - Jul 23 with 2611 viewsMerseyBlue

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:43 - Jul 23 by Tangledupin_Blue

We have our share of impatient supporters, some of whom are already itching to get on Cook's back and whingeing about the warm-up games.

IMO we should have an idea, by about November, of whether our gamble is paying off.

I think what you say about November is absolutely true. I wouldn't be judging them based on the league table at that point (barring an absolute failure) but the trend of results and performances will be the important factor.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:53 - Jul 23 with 2610 viewsElderGrizzly

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:31 - Jul 23 by GavTWTD

Yes I have that fear too. I hope we get a few good results in, some good performances so the fans can see the direction we're going in. Getting a whole new team to gel will probably take time, and may include a few loans to fill gaps.

I think we'll see as many as 5 loans, as this season is a short-term fix in my opinion.

Use whatever it takes to get us out of the division is the task to Paul Cook and Ashton from the owners.
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:54 - Jul 23 with 2600 viewsjayessess

I get the impression its the other way round, really.
There's a lot of (mostly unearned thus far) good will towards Cook and we'd have to be very very poor not to take a decent few points from our gentle opening fixtures. If we don't I think the owners will be less forgiving than the fans.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:56 - Jul 23 with 2557 viewsJ2BLUE

We've had a fast start last two seasons and look where that got us.

I think if we're mid table after ten games most fans will be fairly relaxed about it knowing we've replaced an entire team.

Obviously performances will go a long way and some fans will turn at 15:10 on the opening day if it's 0-0.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:56 - Jul 23 with 2565 viewshomer_123

Err, have you not been following the comms from the new owners? They want out ASAP.

Given they are happy to support Cook in rebuilding, absolute bare minimum is play-offs I would suggest.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:57 - Jul 23 with 2557 viewshomer_123

I posted this the other day:

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? by homer_123 13 Jul 2021 20:37
What's the concensus?

Our new owners have made it clear they want out of this division and the signs are Cook is being backed in the transfer market, which is great.

But...do we think Cook will last if things don't happen on the pitch?

Just wondering what people think will happen.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:59 - Jul 23 with 2523 viewstractorboy1978

Realistically, our first month is kind. Even if we aren't quite at full tilt as players are still bedding in and new signings still arriving, we have enough quality to blow these teams away.

Morecambe H
Burton A
Cheltenham A
MK Dons H
Wimbledon H
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 11:00 - Jul 23 with 2516 viewsDarth_Koont

All depends what “badly” looks like, I suppose.

If we get poor results but we look as if we’re finally trying to be more effective and coherent in the final third (and able to raise the tempo more often) then I’d still see that as a positive compared to the previous three years or so where even our good runs of results felt streaky.

In recent seasons we’ve also started better than the teams that have then swept past us and gone up automatically. So I think there’s a need to trust in the process and see the long-haul until there are signs that the process isn’t working.

Pronouns: He/Him

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 11:02 - Jul 23 with 2482 viewsJ2BLUE

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 10:56 - Jul 23 by homer_123

Err, have you not been following the comms from the new owners? They want out ASAP.

Given they are happy to support Cook in rebuilding, absolute bare minimum is play-offs I would suggest.

They want to make a profit but I don't agree with that.

At least one has said this season is a big change and it's going to be a challenge. Ashton is talking about the stadium etc. I think it's a myth that they want to flip the club ASAP. As people have posted, pension funds think very long term.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 11:05 - Jul 23 with 2455 viewstractorboy1978

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 11:02 - Jul 23 by J2BLUE

They want to make a profit but I don't agree with that.

At least one has said this season is a big change and it's going to be a challenge. Ashton is talking about the stadium etc. I think it's a myth that they want to flip the club ASAP. As people have posted, pension funds think very long term.

They want out of the division ASAP. They will see not going up this season as a failure given the investment made.
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 11:06 - Jul 23 with 2455 viewsgalacticoblue

we´ll be around 6th/7th around Christmas and then lift off from the Jan transfer window
Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 11:06 - Jul 23 with 2446 viewsMerseyBlue

Does anyone else fear a backlash if we start badly? on 11:05 - Jul 23 by tractorboy1978

They want out of the division ASAP. They will see not going up this season as a failure given the investment made.

O'Leary said on the very first interview that if it takes a couple of seasons, then so be it. Clearly they want to go up as quick as possible but I don't think they'll be as ruthless as some are suggesting.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 11:07]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024