Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What does success look like for McKenna? 20:09 - Dec 18 with 3646 viewspennblue

Cool for 9 months. 9 months for McKenna will be up in august next year, is top six for McKenna the minimum ask for this season?

Asking for a friend
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 20:10]

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 20:14 - Dec 18 with 2754 viewssuffolkpoker

Win the odd game of footy…

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

What does success look like for McKenna? on 20:14 - Dec 18 with 2758 viewsBlueBadger

Back to back wins of more than two games.
Performing in BOTH halves of a game.
Actually getting close to the playoffs.
Cutting down the stupid goals conceded.
A bit of tactical flexibility.

In short, adding in stuff that hasn't happened this season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 20:15 - Dec 18 with 2737 viewschrismakin

When Edwards scores a goal or gets an assist. That is success.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

What does success look like for McKenna? on 20:19 - Dec 18 with 2725 viewsVic

What does success look like for McKenna? on 20:14 - Dec 18 by BlueBadger

Back to back wins of more than two games.
Performing in BOTH halves of a game.
Actually getting close to the playoffs.
Cutting down the stupid goals conceded.
A bit of tactical flexibility.

In short, adding in stuff that hasn't happened this season.

Bang on.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 20:21 - Dec 18 with 2702 viewsHerbivore

Showing some sustained improvement this season would do. We now need close to HMS Pisstheleague form to make the top 6 so I think setting that as a minimum expectation now is unrealistic given the situation that McKenna is inheriting from Cook. That making the top 6 looks incredibly difficult at halfway through the season is why Cook has gone, by the way.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 21:31 - Dec 18 with 2592 viewsnshearman1

What does success look like for McKenna? on 20:21 - Dec 18 by Herbivore

Showing some sustained improvement this season would do. We now need close to HMS Pisstheleague form to make the top 6 so I think setting that as a minimum expectation now is unrealistic given the situation that McKenna is inheriting from Cook. That making the top 6 looks incredibly difficult at halfway through the season is why Cook has gone, by the way.

The absolute critical thing is sorting out the defence. We have to become capable of maintaining leads and cutting out mistakes. That means not just defenders but defensive midfield. Cook didn’t have a clue about this and saw full-backs purely as a means of attack. Sort out the defensive system and everything else follows. Realistically after all the turmoil thus far, that will probably take this season to fix.
What does success look like for McKenna? on 21:51 - Dec 18 with 2532 viewsBlueBadger

What does success look like for McKenna? on 21:31 - Dec 18 by nshearman1

The absolute critical thing is sorting out the defence. We have to become capable of maintaining leads and cutting out mistakes. That means not just defenders but defensive midfield. Cook didn’t have a clue about this and saw full-backs purely as a means of attack. Sort out the defensive system and everything else follows. Realistically after all the turmoil thus far, that will probably take this season to fix.

Alright, Mick.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 23:56 - Dec 18 with 2383 viewsGuthrum

Top six this season? No, not any more. It would take a heck of a managerial job to pull the team together that quickly, get them to the required level of success and sustain it for the rest of the season. Not by any means impossible, but really quite unlikely.

We have to be looking at some sustained improvement by the end of the season, however. Well drilled, confident, winning plenty of games. Looking like an outfit capable of being in the automatic promotion places in May 2023 with little or no adjustment over the summer. Full of players who want to stay here and achieve that.

That's my benchmark, given everything that's happened.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

What does success look like for McKenna? on 02:43 - Dec 19 with 2276 viewsbrazil1981

Cook had 9 months…unless McK’s record between now and Summer on any better, why should he be given any longer?
What does success look like for McKenna? on 07:35 - Dec 19 with 2132 viewsChrisd

Win football games consistently, play a clear brand of football and climb that league table. I’m starting to believe that finishing 6th is out of reach, but give us all plenty of optimism heading into next season by finishing strongly over the next few months.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:08 - Dec 19 with 2062 viewsHerbivore

What does success look like for McKenna? on 02:43 - Dec 19 by brazil1981

Cook had 9 months…unless McK’s record between now and Summer on any better, why should he be given any longer?

Well let's just imagine for a minute that he does as badly as Cook over 9 months. That'd mean he'd come in now telling us that he's going to take us forward and that promotion is the aim and that he only needs one transfer window to secure success. He'd then deliver not much more than a point a game for the rest of the season and have us finish lower in the table than when he took over. He'd lay the blame for this entirely at the door of the players and oversee a summer clear out and make 19 new signings, again telling us promotion is the aim given the quality of players he's brought in. He'd then start next season taking 3 points from a very kind opening 6 fixtures. That'd take him up to 9 months in charge and I'm going to say that if those circumstances pan out as described then McKenna might find himself in a bit of bother, and rightly so, because only a failing manager showing no signs of being able to get it right here could come in and have a 9 months like that.

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:15 - Dec 19 with 2031 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:08 - Dec 19 by Herbivore

Well let's just imagine for a minute that he does as badly as Cook over 9 months. That'd mean he'd come in now telling us that he's going to take us forward and that promotion is the aim and that he only needs one transfer window to secure success. He'd then deliver not much more than a point a game for the rest of the season and have us finish lower in the table than when he took over. He'd lay the blame for this entirely at the door of the players and oversee a summer clear out and make 19 new signings, again telling us promotion is the aim given the quality of players he's brought in. He'd then start next season taking 3 points from a very kind opening 6 fixtures. That'd take him up to 9 months in charge and I'm going to say that if those circumstances pan out as described then McKenna might find himself in a bit of bother, and rightly so, because only a failing manager showing no signs of being able to get it right here could come in and have a 9 months like that.

You could've just said, "He shouldn't."

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:21 - Dec 19 with 1989 viewspennblue

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:08 - Dec 19 by Herbivore

So by your rationale, given how badly Cook failed here. Cook was sacked when we were 11 points behind the League Leaders.

So even a modest increase on that poor performance from Cook, should see us top of the League in the form table. Surely that is what you are expecting?

Or am I missing something?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:28 - Dec 19 with 1946 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:15 - Dec 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

You could've just said, "He shouldn't."

LOL, you're up early with the downvotes Herbs.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:29 - Dec 19 with 1937 viewspennblue

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:28 - Dec 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

LOL, you're up early with the downvotes Herbs.

He hasn't seen my post yet :). Fortunately, there is not a -10 button!
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 8:30]

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:43 - Dec 19 with 1869 viewsStewart27

Improvement. To actually stop regressing. In my eyes this isn’t a tall order as I hope we’ve hit rock bottom.

To be the first manager since MM to be better than the previous one.

Hugely depressing but play offs are out of the question. I’d like to use this season to eradicate the stupid defensive mistakes and to adopt a style of play which is easy on the eye, but adaptable if we are clearly losing battles - Cook’s in game management was the worst I’ve known. I’d like to build partnerships on the pitch and maybe go on a little run here and there.
What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:48 - Dec 19 with 1851 viewsHerbivore

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:21 - Dec 19 by pennblue

So by your rationale, given how badly Cook failed here. Cook was sacked when we were 11 points behind the League Leaders.

So even a modest increase on that poor performance from Cook, should see us top of the League in the form table. Surely that is what you are expecting?

Eh? No, we don't need to be top of the form table but we need to not go backwards on PPG and league position from where we are currently, which is what happened under Cook when he came in.

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:50 - Dec 19 with 1839 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:21 - Dec 19 by pennblue

Missing something? Yes!

How does being better than 11 points off top suddenly become needing to be top of the league form table? We were 12th when Cook was sacked (I think), so staying 11th where we are as McKenna takes over is an improvement. We are 18th in the form table with 5 points from the last 6 and I doubt it was much different when Cook left. So 17th in the form table with 6 points from 6 would be an improvement.

You seem to be missing just how poorly Cook was performing.

To be honest, just a mediocre improvement on Cook would concern me because of how poorly he was doing. However, what I want is progress. If I can see a cohesive plan and the team developing that is all I need from this season. If that is happening we should finish top half of the table. That is improvement from where Cook had us heading!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:52 - Dec 19 with 1831 viewsDeano69

I’d take consistency right now.

We are going to need just about 2points a game average to make the playoffs, so other than a change of heroic change of form and consistency then this season has passed us by.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:52 - Dec 19 with 1831 viewsYallop

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:48 - Dec 19 by Herbivore

Eh? No, we don't need to be top of the form table but we need to not go backwards on PPG and league position from where we are currently, which is what happened under Cook when he came in.

I think that's right. We need to be around top 8 by the end of the season. That should be more than achievable and I suspect even with his poor form that'd be where we'd have ended up under Cook
What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:03 - Dec 19 with 1780 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:52 - Dec 19 by Yallop

I think that's right. We need to be around top 8 by the end of the season. That should be more than achievable and I suspect even with his poor form that'd be where we'd have ended up under Cook

Cook would have needed to improve a fair bit in order to finish 8th. It is an optimistic assessment that we would have finished that high.

However, I think around 8th is a reasonable assessment of where a decent improvement might get us.

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:06 - Dec 19 with 1747 viewspennblue

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:48 - Dec 19 by Herbivore

So to remain in 11th position is good enough?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:06 - Dec 19 with 1748 viewsmylittletown

1 Avoid relegation

2 Work out his best XI (s) from what is a pretty decent squad

3 Make us feel like things are moving forward.

One of the problems with Cook was that we were obviously regressing.
What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:10 - Dec 19 with 1727 viewsHerbivore

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:06 - Dec 19 by pennblue

Not good enough, no, but would still be an improvement on how Cook did when he came in following Lambert. I'd like to see some improvement on our PPG and league position and ideally by the end of the season to be looking like a side capable of challenging for promotion. That would represent a big upgrade on Cook and would give me hope for next season.

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:10 - Dec 19 with 1724 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:06 - Dec 19 by pennblue

You seem obsessed with league position whilst not recognising where Cook had us in the league.

11th is as good as 7th or 20th or anywhere in between at the end of the day. It is unlikely that, if we see the progress we want to see we would finish 11th. However, I would rather we finished 15th but with a team starting to gel and play together having gone through a lot of adjustment than we finished 7th with a team that is beginning to fall apart and crumble (I can't see how that is possible from where we are though).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024