Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nice to finally hear from Cook… 12:22 - Jan 5 with 2490 viewsSitfcB

…and give his view, which was always going to happen.

Shame people still have to stick the boot in.

Not like our fans to hold a grudge *cough* Super Mick *cough*

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:27 - Jan 5 with 2416 viewsIllinoisblue

Discussing his sub-par performance is hardly sticking the boot in. I like him and almost feel sorry for him but let’s not pretend he was anything other than a failure here

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:27 - Jan 5 with 2404 viewsBlueBadger

Entirely like our fans to defend a failed manager though...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:28 - Jan 5 with 2373 viewsMetal_Hacker

Not sure what you expect Sitters to be fair

His win ratio won't be up there in lights that's for sure

Poll: If it were one or the other

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:30 - Jan 5 with 2354 viewssuffolkpoker

Sounds like Ashton was having a say with performance training.
If thats true, surely Aston could be partly to blame?

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:36 - Jan 5 with 2255 viewsJDB23

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:30 - Jan 5 by suffolkpoker

No. It would be the performance team having input on the performance training, not Ashton himself. Don’t let Bristol fans warp your mind.
Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:36 - Jan 5 with 2241 viewsGarv

You'd think Ashton would have known Cook probably wasn't the type of manager to want to work under that sort of structure, so if that was the plan, not sacking Cook in the summer was a mistake.

So yes, partly.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:38 - Jan 5 with 2224 viewssuffolkpoker

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:36 - Jan 5 by JDB23

No. It would be the performance team having input on the performance training, not Ashton himself. Don’t let Bristol fans warp your mind.

i personally like Aston as a boss, i think he brings good things to the table.

Wouldnt the performance team be brought in by him or the owners? We all know Ashton is not giving 'advice' but he brought in the team that does.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:39 - Jan 5 with 2220 viewswkj

Pretty much sounded like a post-match interview - he did gloss over the cup games when reciting his stats which is predictable really. Not being able to beat any of our league 2 opponents in open play can't be ignored though - and for me that was more than enough to have lost patience with him. Had we been top two and poofed out in the cups, not so much.

While our fortunes remained dour under Cook, how much longer we're we going to be able to have patience with him? It's not like we were punching above our weight in the championship with plucky underdogs - we're supposed to have the best players in the league and dominant.

He also mentioned his 19 player bought in and not having a preseason... fair point, but he didn't need to do everything in one transfer window as we had a few players who could have remained for one more season/half season as benchers (at least), while integrating the new squad in phases.

These are all things Paul Cook had the ability to influence and control.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:43 - Jan 5 with 2165 viewsJDB23

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:38 - Jan 5 by suffolkpoker

i personally like Aston as a boss, i think he brings good things to the table.

Wouldnt the performance team be brought in by him or the owners? We all know Ashton is not giving 'advice' but he brought in the team that does.

Yes Ashton brought them in, that’s different to saying he was having input though. Cook was never going to work with the modern structured setup the club is heading towards, don’t think we can blame Ashton too much for that. If it’s a problem moving forward now we have McKenna then it’s something we can question Ashton on.
Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 13:16 - Jan 5 with 2007 viewsmonty_radio

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:39 - Jan 5 by wkj

Pretty much sounded like a post-match interview - he did gloss over the cup games when reciting his stats which is predictable really. Not being able to beat any of our league 2 opponents in open play can't be ignored though - and for me that was more than enough to have lost patience with him. Had we been top two and poofed out in the cups, not so much.

While our fortunes remained dour under Cook, how much longer we're we going to be able to have patience with him? It's not like we were punching above our weight in the championship with plucky underdogs - we're supposed to have the best players in the league and dominant.

He also mentioned his 19 player bought in and not having a preseason... fair point, but he didn't need to do everything in one transfer window as we had a few players who could have remained for one more season/half season as benchers (at least), while integrating the new squad in phases.

These are all things Paul Cook had the ability to influence and control.

"He didn't need to do everything in one transfer window as we had a few players who could have remained for one more season/half season as benchers (at least), while integrating the new squad in phases."

Watching the L2 highlights of Col U, Walsall, Mansfield etc, I'm not sure about that. Freddie apart, nearly all the others have proved his initial judgement correct. The notable exception is Drinan, who, of course, most on here (but not all) didn't rate anyway. The 19 player gelling period doesn't really hold up though, as teams such as Wigan have since shown.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 13:53]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 13:26 - Jan 5 with 1947 viewswkj

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 13:16 - Jan 5 by monty_radio

"He didn't need to do everything in one transfer window as we had a few players who could have remained for one more season/half season as benchers (at least), while integrating the new squad in phases."

Watching the L2 highlights of Col U, Walsall, Mansfield etc, I'm not sure about that. Freddie apart, nearly all the others have proved his initial judgement correct. The notable exception is Drinan, who, of course, most on here (but not all) didn't rate anyway. The 19 player gelling period doesn't really hold up though, as teams such as Wigan have since shown.

The Col U players were at the end of their run here- particularly Skuse who surprised me by not retiring this year. Start looking at Wilson who was shipped out before a replacement bought in. You've mentioned Drinan - someone who I saw as being handy. Judge would have been fine as a bencher and possibly Chambers.

They were never the way forward, but some of those players would have done just fine when supported by better players. For at least half a season.

Crybaby

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 13:39 - Jan 5 with 1894 viewsBasuco

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 13:16 - Jan 5 by monty_radio

But those players who were bombed out managed to get Town in a higher league position under Paul Lambert than the new players did under Paul Cook. Whatever way you look at them, results under Paul Cook were very poor. When you replace players who are "not good enough" with what was generally seen as better quality, but cannot get them performing to the level of the previous squad after 20 games, you must expect to be questioned on your ability as a manager.
Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 13:55 - Jan 5 with 1835 viewsmonty_radio

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 13:39 - Jan 5 by Basuco

But those players who were bombed out managed to get Town in a higher league position under Paul Lambert than the new players did under Paul Cook. Whatever way you look at them, results under Paul Cook were very poor. When you replace players who are "not good enough" with what was generally seen as better quality, but cannot get them performing to the level of the previous squad after 20 games, you must expect to be questioned on your ability as a manager.

Certainly. But as regards those who had been better under Lambert, they were all yet one more year olderlast as this August arrived.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 14:00 - Jan 5 with 1805 viewsElderGrizzly

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:36 - Jan 5 by Garv

You'd think Ashton would have known Cook probably wasn't the type of manager to want to work under that sort of structure, so if that was the plan, not sacking Cook in the summer was a mistake.

So yes, partly.

Although sacking him would probably have not been the best introduction for our new owners. 6 weeks in and you bomb out the new manager would have gone down like a bucket of sick with most fans.

There is a lot of Captain Hindsight there in Cook's interview.

And Cook effectively failed twice with two different teams. He doesn't have a lot to complain about
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 14:00]
Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 14:02 - Jan 5 with 1785 viewsghostofescobar

To me, it sounds as though the new owners, CEO, Chairman are working towards a certain, modern structure at the club, but Cook was already appointed and therefore was almost shoe horned into that structure, which was only ever going to work longer term if his results were very, very good. They weren't, he got kicked out and we now have an appointment that does fit within the structure.

GhostOfEscobar

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 14:55 - Jan 5 with 1650 viewsFevsBCFC

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:36 - Jan 5 by JDB23

Who employed Rolls and Costin?

FWIW Ashton’s time with you is too early to be judged.

But…

…Mark’s MO is that he is at the centre of everything, taken from one of his mentor’s Dan Ashworth. So, you have to be consistent when you both praise and criticise and be cognisant if his role. It is not a split, football = manager, everything else = CEO.

He micro manages everything, he’s a control freak. That isn’t a criticism either, it’s just what he is.
Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 16:31 - Jan 5 with 1455 viewsArnieM

Hallelujah ^^^^

Perhaps Ashton should be renamed Teflon because I doubt anything will ever stick to him. Maybe Cook was the fall guy because he didn’t like being undermined by Ashton “performance team”? Because to be sacked after just 20 games with “ his” team ( and were they all his players , I don’t know), seems very knee jerk by the Club to me. Maybe McKenna is more manageable bring a rookie manager …. Or maybe it’s that being so much younger he’ll fit Ashtons infrastructure more readily?
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 16:37]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 17:19 - Jan 5 with 1366 viewsBlueBadger

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 16:31 - Jan 5 by ArnieM

Hallelujah ^^^^

Perhaps Ashton should be renamed Teflon because I doubt anything will ever stick to him. Maybe Cook was the fall guy because he didn’t like being undermined by Ashton “performance team”? Because to be sacked after just 20 games with “ his” team ( and were they all his players , I don’t know), seems very knee jerk by the Club to me. Maybe McKenna is more manageable bring a rookie manager …. Or maybe it’s that being so much younger he’ll fit Ashtons infrastructure more readily?

LOL.

That mad Bristol City fan proper did a number on some of you lot didn't he?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 17:25 - Jan 5 with 1330 viewsMattinLondon

Hallelujah ^^^^

Call me old fashioned but when a manager takes over a team than that is his team. His paid to sort things out and to bring in and ship out players as he sees fit.

He choice to ship out so many, his choice to bring in so many, his choice to bring in his team coaches. His choices, his failure, he should own it instead of making excuses.
Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 17:38 - Jan 5 with 1283 viewswkj

Hallelujah ^^^^

If you've had your eyes open on this forum for the last 10 or so years- you will know Mark Ashton will have his time in sights when the time is right.

Crybaby

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 18:53 - Jan 5 with 1116 viewsKeaneish

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 12:27 - Jan 5 by Illinoisblue

Discussing his sub-par performance is hardly sticking the boot in. I like him and almost feel sorry for him but let’s not pretend he was anything other than a failure here

Well, you’ve got a talented, shiny new team out of it so to call it a complete failure would be a misnomer.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 19:38 - Jan 5 with 984 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The commentary on Cooks I/V has been interesting. I'm not sure what anyone expected him to say?

"No no no, absolutely I should have been sacked, if anything, considering the way we failed to get anywhere near the play offs, I should have gone in May"

"Were there difficulties with Ashton? No, not at all, I was making them all do double training, which I tried with the last squad and they couldn't manage so I binned them off, then with this lot, the new director of performance told me I was working them too hard and risking injuries."

"I hold my hands up to every thing"

End of the day, he should have gotten the window, I was shocked when they pulled the trigger, but his performance was woeful, and I liked the guy, but there is a big investment coming from the US and they aren't going to accept failure any more.

Whether that failure comes from Cook, or anyone else.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 08:22 - Jan 6 with 673 viewsGarv

Nice to finally hear from Cook… on 14:00 - Jan 5 by ElderGrizzly

Although sacking him would probably have not been the best introduction for our new owners. 6 weeks in and you bomb out the new manager would have gone down like a bucket of sick with most fans.

There is a lot of Captain Hindsight there in Cook's interview.

And Cook effectively failed twice with two different teams. He doesn't have a lot to complain about
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 14:00]

Yep. Would have been a very bold call so early.

Funny isn't it that we would have been better off all round had Lambert stuck around until the takeover happened? It's unlikely he would have done any worse than Cook, they'd have sacked him either immediately or at the end of the season and brought their own man in, and the 'project' could have started straight away without having to have the stop-gap of Cook.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024