Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland 08:30 - Jan 25 with 3449 viewsgiant_stow

Planned for feb: https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/24/europe/russia-naval-exercise-ireland-intl/index.h

Do they often do this? Seems a nice way to stretch Nato.

Edited title thanks to Homer.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 8:39]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Russian military expertise off the west coast of ireland on 08:35 - Jan 25 with 2230 viewshomer_123

expertise or exercise?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Russian military expertise off the west coast of ireland on 08:37 - Jan 25 with 2224 viewsGuthrum

So long as they don't tangle with any fishing boats ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_Bank_incident

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Russian military expertise off the west coast of ireland on 08:40 - Jan 25 with 2206 viewsgiant_stow

Russian military expertise off the west coast of ireland on 08:35 - Jan 25 by homer_123

expertise or exercise?

I'm a bluey fool

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 08:41 - Jan 25 with 2191 viewsKeno

No worries the Irish cavalry has got this!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 08:42 - Jan 25 with 2181 viewsPinewoodblue

Worldwide exercise Atlantic, Mediterranean, Pacific etc
https://defenceview.in/60-fighter-aircrafts-140-warships-and-10000-of-soldiers-a

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 08:54 - Jan 25 with 2105 viewsChurchman

Years ago, they were forever sending aircraft towards U.K. airspace to see response times etc. full exercises?

Thinking about this, a bit of prodding and pushing geographically between Europe and the US symbolically is a very good move on their part, knowing that Western Europe cannot defend itself in any meaningful way and knowing NATO is fractured and weak.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 08:58 - Jan 25 with 2081 viewsPinewoodblue

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 08:54 - Jan 25 by Churchman

Years ago, they were forever sending aircraft towards U.K. airspace to see response times etc. full exercises?

Thinking about this, a bit of prodding and pushing geographically between Europe and the US symbolically is a very good move on their part, knowing that Western Europe cannot defend itself in any meaningful way and knowing NATO is fractured and weak.

They still do probe our air defenses at regular intervals.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 09:03 - Jan 25 with 2046 viewsIpswichKnight

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 08:54 - Jan 25 by Churchman

They still do it regularly, they particularly like probing Irish air zone and don’t communicate with ATC. They know Ireland does not have the capacity to intercept and move them on and are reliant on RAF aircraft to do that.

Interesting fact a Russian research ship was in the same area as the “naval exercise” last year and several undersea cables run through that area too. They will be closely monitored by either or both US Navy or Royal Navy submarines, will also get daily visits from Poseidon aircraft and ESINT aircraft.
Login to get fewer ads

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 09:06 - Jan 25 with 2038 viewsGuthrum

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 09:03 - Jan 25 by IpswichKnight

They still do it regularly, they particularly like probing Irish air zone and don’t communicate with ATC. They know Ireland does not have the capacity to intercept and move them on and are reliant on RAF aircraft to do that.

Interesting fact a Russian research ship was in the same area as the “naval exercise” last year and several undersea cables run through that area too. They will be closely monitored by either or both US Navy or Royal Navy submarines, will also get daily visits from Poseidon aircraft and ESINT aircraft.

That about undersea cables is the significant bit. Breaking those would be an opening gambit for the Russians in any war with NATO - or attempt to hamstring a unified response to events elsewhere.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 11:28 - Jan 25 with 1915 viewsEireannach_gorm

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 08:41 - Jan 25 by Keno

No worries the Irish cavalry has got this!!

Yep, we are going to cut off their supply of butter!!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/russian-military-tests-off-irish-coast-not
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 11:34 - Jan 25 with 1897 viewsChurchman

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 11:28 - Jan 25 by Eireannach_gorm

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/russian-military-tests-off-irish-coast-not

That should force a rethink - there’s no substitute for Irish butter!

Looking at the state of that Russian aircraft carrier that limped through the channel a few years ago, a broadside of potatoes should see them off. I love a stereotype.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 11:42 - Jan 25 with 1881 viewsRyorry

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 09:03 - Jan 25 by IpswichKnight

I was going to say that I've been watching the C5 documentary 'Warship: Life at Sea', the latest episode of which was last night.

HMS Northumberland is the frigate in question, and it's absolutely fascinating stuff, esp when the 'Big Bear' (huge Russian 4-propellor plane) deliberately flew only 500 feet up right over the ship & it was revealed that this kind of provocation, only a couple of miles off the Britisih Isles, is a regular occurrence.

Next ep (5/5) is 9pm on Monday.

Edited to add: HMS Northumberland was sent to monitor a Russian sub that was threateningly close to communications cables in the Arctic circle a year or so ago - this was not a training exercise. The ship was forced to return to base for repairs when the sub took a sudden sharp turn extraordinarily close to it, and completely knocked out its primary sonar. The captain of Northumberland & 2nd in command concluded, very diplomatically on camera, that this was "accidental". I, and probably some other viewers too, came to a different conclusion!
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 11:54]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 12:03 - Jan 25 with 1841 viewssolemio

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 11:42 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

I was going to say that I've been watching the C5 documentary 'Warship: Life at Sea', the latest episode of which was last night.

HMS Northumberland is the frigate in question, and it's absolutely fascinating stuff, esp when the 'Big Bear' (huge Russian 4-propellor plane) deliberately flew only 500 feet up right over the ship & it was revealed that this kind of provocation, only a couple of miles off the Britisih Isles, is a regular occurrence.

Edited to add: HMS Northumberland was sent to monitor a Russian sub that was threateningly close to communications cables in the Arctic circle a year or so ago - this was not a training exercise. The ship was forced to return to base for repairs when the sub took a sudden sharp turn extraordinarily close to it, and completely knocked out its primary sonar. The captain of Northumberland & 2nd in command concluded, very diplomatically on camera, that this was "accidental". I, and probably some other viewers too, came to a different conclusion!

Yes, I've been watching this Ch5 series and agree with everything you say. I've seen the first three, and have the 4th recorded and ready to watch.

Many of these behind the scenes progs about the Services have been interesting over the years. I know they're not on active service duties in a sense, but the ones about the Red Arrows were fascinating, and I'd be very happy if another series following them were to happen. Unlikely until the Covid situation has further improved.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 12:12 - Jan 25 with 1826 viewsleitrimblue

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 11:28 - Jan 25 by Eireannach_gorm

Think the rest of the world as failed to recognise how powerful our control of the distribution of Kerrygold is. Feck with Ireland and yer left with Utterly Butterfly or some other sh1te
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 12:30 - Jan 25 with 1780 viewsBent_double

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 11:42 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

I watched a bit of that too - couldn't believe how brazen the Russian ship was in trying to spy on the US sub that Northumberland ended up shielding.

Obviously we don't know when that was, but had to laugh when the Captain got all his senior staff together to tell them what was happening, and told them that anything said in that room was top secret - don't even tell friends & family.....did he forget about the film crew in the room or something??

I guess it was only permitted for broadcast once cleared by the MoD and sanitised, so to speak.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 12:31 - Jan 25 with 1775 viewsKeno

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 12:12 - Jan 25 by leitrimblue

Think the rest of the world as failed to recognise how powerful our control of the distribution of Kerrygold is. Feck with Ireland and yer left with Utterly Butterfly or some other sh1te

I always thought Putin was a bit of a w'anchor

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:16 - Jan 25 with 1704 viewsChurchman

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 12:12 - Jan 25 by leitrimblue

Absolutely! And nobody wants to be left eating that chemicalised grease in a tub. It ruins toast and is not the glory that is real butter.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:22 - Jan 25 with 1688 viewsIpswichKnight

It was sanitised, the submarine Twitter community were all over it and then massively disappointed when the footage of the “Russian Submarine” turned out to be footage of a UK trafalgar class sub ( they can tell by the mast and periscope footage apparently mast identification is a thing! ). That said someone did pick up a Russian news story about a Russian sub that was awarded multiple medals from a recent deployment and worked out it was definitely at sea during that period. The sub community think C5 added in archive footage as the 2 Trafalgar boats we have were in port at the time.
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:29 - Jan 25 with 1663 viewsRyorry

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:22 - Jan 25 by IpswichKnight

It was sanitised, the submarine Twitter community were all over it and then massively disappointed when the footage of the “Russian Submarine” turned out to be footage of a UK trafalgar class sub ( they can tell by the mast and periscope footage apparently mast identification is a thing! ). That said someone did pick up a Russian news story about a Russian sub that was awarded multiple medals from a recent deployment and worked out it was definitely at sea during that period. The sub community think C5 added in archive footage as the 2 Trafalgar boats we have were in port at the time.

Who are "the submarine Twitter community" & what hard evidence for their theories did they provide?

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:34 - Jan 25 with 1649 viewsWeWereZombies

Ha! That's what you think, my local shop stocks Lakeland...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:43 - Jan 25 with 1622 viewsHARRY10

What on earth are you on about !

'Nato is fractured and weak'

Really, I think it is more a case of you being clueless
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:59 - Jan 25 with 1595 viewsIpswichKnight

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:29 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

Who are "the submarine Twitter community" & what hard evidence for their theories did they provide?

The wonderful HI Sutton will Indulge your submarine mast needs here

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:14 - Jan 25 with 1555 viewsRyorry

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:59 - Jan 25 by IpswichKnight

The wonderful HI Sutton will Indulge your submarine mast needs here

From that thread:

"Sir Humphrey
@pinstripedline
Replying to
@CovertShores
@UKDefJournal
and 7 others
Its an excellent series, but I'd respectfully note that sometimes what happens on TV occurs when the film crew aren't there - you need something to fill the gaps in - if you look you can spot continuity errors aplenty, but that doesnt mean it didn't happen.
10:16 AM · Jan 19, 2022·Twitter Web App
H I Sutton
@CovertShores
·
Jan 19
Replying to
@pinstripedline

@UKDefJournal
and 7 others
agreed "

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:16 - Jan 25 with 1546 viewsleitrimblue

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 13:34 - Jan 25 by WeWereZombies

Ha! That's what you think, my local shop stocks Lakeland...

That's Co.Cavan/Leitrim butter. Wouldn't trust that it as far as I could throw it.Never seen a dairy cow in Leitrim. Bog makes for fairly poor pasture
Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:21 - Jan 25 with 1518 viewsWicklowBlue

Russian military exercise off the west coast of ireland on 14:16 - Jan 25 by leitrimblue

That's Co.Cavan/Leitrim butter. Wouldn't trust that it as far as I could throw it.Never seen a dairy cow in Leitrim. Bog makes for fairly poor pasture

Don't worry we're sending our Fleet* to intercept the Russian vessels:

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0125/1275728-ireland-fishing-russia/

*Fishing fleet
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024