Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? 19:00 - Mar 16 with 1821 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Areas and/or specific airBnBs they've stayed in? Looking to have a little break next week, ideally a quirky cottage or similar to ourselves, plenty of breathtaking scenery/woodland walks/lakes/canals.

EDIT: Soz, meant Peak District (hoping to visit friends nearby).
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 19:42]

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 19:02 - Mar 16 with 1577 viewsBlueBadger

I'd recommend taking wet weather gear and bloody good boots....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 19:13 - Mar 16 with 1547 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 19:02 - Mar 16 by BlueBadger

I'd recommend taking wet weather gear and bloody good boots....

Always do, although the weather looks alright for next week.

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 19:15 - Mar 16 with 1547 viewsBasuco

The Northern lakes are very nice Keswick is a lovely base to visit Bassenthwaite, Loweswater, Buttermere and Thirlmere. Of course you must visit Cockermouth and drive up the Honister Pass to the old slate mine. This part of the lakes is very pretty and not so touristy, sorry can't help with any cottages to stay in but that area is really lovely.
Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 19:36 - Mar 16 with 1511 viewsbluenorth

Stayed here last year, loved it and going back again. Not cheap but not many places are there now. Bit quieter out that way too.

https://www.ainhouse.co.uk/
Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 20:31 - Mar 16 with 1426 viewsfactual_blue

We stayed at the Devonshire Arms at Pilsley. Lovely place, and they do a deal that gives you free entry to Chatsworth for the length of your stay.

You even get a letter from Stoker Devonshire welcoming you.

We also stayed a couple of nights at a Old English Inns place in Bakewell, but that wasn't much cop.

The Manners is an excellent pub with good B&B (also in Bakewell).

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 20:41 - Mar 16 with 1417 viewsgainsboroughblue

Further up the better I would say. Maybe somewhere near to Buxton where there are some nice lakes, streams, waterfalls etc, not to mention the caves.

Places like Matlock, Bakewell are still within decent reach and can be done in the same day. Chatsworth House is around that area too, as is Abraham Heights and worth a visit.

Eyam is about 20 minutes away and has a museum dedicated to the plague outbreak.

The more South you get, you could take in the Stepping Stones at Dovedale and it could be combined with the journey home.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 20:48 - Mar 16 with 1399 viewsLesta_Tractor

Ashford in the Water is worth a visit, nice ~6 mile circular to Monsal Head from there.

We quite like the hikes up to Stannage Edge from Hathersage and around Curbar Edge.

If you're a fan of suffering on two wheels I'd recommend a cycle up Winnats Pass.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 20:52 - Mar 16 with 1394 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

Can’t recommend an Airbnb, but we stay in a small village called Biggin at a great country house hotel called Biggin Hall. Shortish walk to Hartington and great walks along Wolfscote Dale down to Dovedale. Great scenery and walks
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 20:53]
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 21:00 - Mar 16 with 1366 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 20:41 - Mar 16 by gainsboroughblue

Further up the better I would say. Maybe somewhere near to Buxton where there are some nice lakes, streams, waterfalls etc, not to mention the caves.

Places like Matlock, Bakewell are still within decent reach and can be done in the same day. Chatsworth House is around that area too, as is Abraham Heights and worth a visit.

Eyam is about 20 minutes away and has a museum dedicated to the plague outbreak.

The more South you get, you could take in the Stepping Stones at Dovedale and it could be combined with the journey home.

We've found a couple of places in Buxton that look good, might be a good shout.

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 21:05 - Mar 16 with 1356 viewsjeera

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 19:15 - Mar 16 by Basuco

The Northern lakes are very nice Keswick is a lovely base to visit Bassenthwaite, Loweswater, Buttermere and Thirlmere. Of course you must visit Cockermouth and drive up the Honister Pass to the old slate mine. This part of the lakes is very pretty and not so touristy, sorry can't help with any cottages to stay in but that area is really lovely.

How is he supposed to pop up there for a day trip, eh?

Why don't you people learn how to read?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 21:09 - Mar 16 with 1342 viewsjeera

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 21:00 - Mar 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

Buxton is lovely.

Do yourself a favour and do grab a Bakewell tart, yes they'll be available in Buxton, but do not buy one by the front door with the familiar commercial cross on the front on it.

You'll find the nice fresh sort the locals buy at the back in a basket that's being refreshed all day from the oven. Plain looking but gorgeous and still warm too.

Now, where was that bloody shop again?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 23:34 - Mar 16 with 1261 viewsGeomorph

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 21:09 - Mar 16 by jeera

Buxton is lovely.

Do yourself a favour and do grab a Bakewell tart, yes they'll be available in Buxton, but do not buy one by the front door with the familiar commercial cross on the front on it.

You'll find the nice fresh sort the locals buy at the back in a basket that's being refreshed all day from the oven. Plain looking but gorgeous and still warm too.

Now, where was that bloody shop again?

There’s a Fab ‘vernacular’ cottage on a lane right next to the ‘devils arse’ cave in Castleton. Bit pricey but a wonderful base for a walking/drinking break and we’ll worth it . Think it’s on Airbnb and some other sites..

‘Torside’ is the name.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 23:37]
Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 00:11 - Mar 17 with 1230 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 21:00 - Mar 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

The buxton brewery taproom is very good and right in the town - plenty on tap to try and fresh cans to take away.
Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 08:05 - Mar 17 with 1146 viewswkj

Just buy a house in Burnley.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 08:12 - Mar 17 with 1134 viewsBobbychase

My wife is from the Miller's Dale area, lovely around there. Tideswell is a very typical village, couple of decent pubs

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 09:33 - Mar 17 with 1096 viewsChurchman

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 20:31 - Mar 16 by factual_blue

We stayed at the Devonshire Arms at Pilsley. Lovely place, and they do a deal that gives you free entry to Chatsworth for the length of your stay.

You even get a letter from Stoker Devonshire welcoming you.

We also stayed a couple of nights at a Old English Inns place in Bakewell, but that wasn't much cop.

The Manners is an excellent pub with good B&B (also in Bakewell).

If you like a steak pie, the Devonshire Arms is the place to go - just about the best I’ve ever had.

As others have suggested, Chatsworth is well worth a visit. We enjoyed going to Eyam too. Interesting place. The whole area is lovely..

We actually stayed in a Premier Inn - it was ok for a couple of nights. Basic, but clean and reasonably priced.
Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 09:52 - Mar 17 with 1080 viewsgiant_stow

Yeah I thought it was grim up north until I went there, so my recommendation is never listen to fools who say its grim up north.

Monsol head and the old railway beneath (which you can walk) are lovely.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 10:09 - Mar 17 with 1053 viewsBobbychase

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 09:52 - Mar 17 by giant_stow

Yeah I thought it was grim up north until I went there, so my recommendation is never listen to fools who say its grim up north.

Walked that the other day, I heartily endorse this recommendation.

Oh and the village of Tissington is stunning.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 10:10 - Mar 17 with 1051 viewsCotty

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 19:15 - Mar 16 by Basuco

Wrong national park!
Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 10:11 - Mar 17 with 1048 viewsCotty

Matlock is great. Bakewell a bit of a tourist trap but also good. Walking is good everywhere, get yourself a good walks book.
Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 10:12 - Mar 17 with 1044 viewsTheReverendSpooner

A sprightly parishioner of mine and her Greek gentleman friend who really do like to get the most out of life, have just postponed their planned week of intense trekking around Buxton.

Unfortunately, she has been having a spot of trouble with her haemorrhoids of late, and her Doctor has advised her to avoid porking in the Weak District for the time being.

There veritably is only one Sticky Mockwell, don't you know.

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 10:13 - Mar 17 with 1043 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 10:09 - Mar 17 by Bobbychase

Walked that the other day, I heartily endorse this recommendation.

Oh and the village of Tissington is stunning.

Lucky you! I didn't make Tissington on my last trip, so thanks for the tip off.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 10:13 - Mar 17 with 1040 viewsChurchman

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 09:52 - Mar 17 by giant_stow

I really like the area. I love the Yorkshire dales too. I’ve stayed in York, which is a fascinating place, but otherwise I really don’t know the north. Visits to places like Newcastle with work don’t really count as far as I’m concerned.

One of the amazing things about these islands is the difference between the various areas. It’s my intention to explore much more of it while I can.
Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 10:15 - Mar 17 with 1031 viewsgiant_stow

Anyone got any recommendations for the Peak District? on 10:13 - Mar 17 by Churchman

I really like the area. I love the Yorkshire dales too. I’ve stayed in York, which is a fascinating place, but otherwise I really don’t know the north. Visits to places like Newcastle with work don’t really count as far as I’m concerned.

One of the amazing things about these islands is the difference between the various areas. It’s my intention to explore much more of it while I can.

Agree about the UK. York has passed me by, but its on the list.

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 10:21 - Mar 17 with 1013 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anyone got any recommendations for the Lake District? on 10:10 - Mar 17 by Cotty

Wrong national park!

In fairness, the post originally asked for Lakes suggestions before being edited.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024