Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? 23:07 - Mar 28 with 3071 viewsunstableblue

According to a study 5.4m people in the UK are anti-Covid vaccination; with a large proportion believing they are dangerous to health and their threat is being hidden from the general public. This includes a belief that the number of football fan and player heart attacks have grown exponentially and is a direct result of Covid vaccination. That is A LOT of people believing in a conspiracy in the UK now.

This is as a result of a mistrust in government, hatred for 'main stream media', and people turning to echo chambers, social media and 'independent' news feeds (that have questionable quality and editorial integrity) for their TRUTH... and some validation from commentators in the likes of the Daily Mail, GB News. There are many 'false prophets', with seemingly plausible credentials, who actually do not stand up to even basic scrutiny. Social Media allows unscrupulous people to make revenue from the hysteria and click bait these echo chambers create.

This conspiracy of Covid vaccine harm, and that it is actively being unreported is widespread - but would require government, NGOs, academics, media, scientists to be involved in some mass cover up and misinformation campaign.

Of note some elements of the ranks of anti-vaxx conspiracy are also those amplifying pro-Russian rhetoric in relation to the Ukrainian invasion. The need for conspiracy.

Does anyone else not find this an incredible development in our society? is it a great psychosis? what is driving people to have the need for these falsehoods in their lives?

Or maybe I'm wrong and I'll drop dead tomorrow due to my booster?!?! I welcome any peer reviewed or credible research that validates the anti-vaxx position

It is mind-blowing.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2022 23:11]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 00:20 - Mar 29 with 2505 viewsSwansea_Blue

I presume there have always been feckwits. Looks at the support Mosley and Hitler had here for years. Idiots are given more of a voice these days through social media, so it probably seems there are more of them than there are.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 00:37 - Mar 29 with 2487 viewsunstableblue

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 00:20 - Mar 29 by Swansea_Blue

I presume there have always been feckwits. Looks at the support Mosley and Hitler had here for years. Idiots are given more of a voice these days through social media, so it probably seems there are more of them than there are.

Well you can go back to 1496 and the publication of the Malleus Maleficarum by the clergyman Heinrich Kramer in Germany...

Yes of course these were days of superstition, lack of science, and other factors (capitalism/control/patriarchy) ... but that treatise on witchcraft was seen as a key contributor to a mass conspiracy and dark fantasy that gripped Europe, and eventually the world, a conspiracy, a belief, a paranoia.... that led to the 'witch craze' where 50,000 people were executed..

And that wasn't just f@ckwits that was a great psychosis of large swathes of the population... via misinformation
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 1:31]

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 00:38 - Mar 29 with 2494 viewsWacko

My cousin is an anti-vaxxer which I believe is a result of mental health issues borne from a complete breakdown in the relationship with her mother. In short, society nowadays lacks the strong family structure of the past - millions of people are expected to live independently and essentially relying on the state for comfort and support - especially those who don't fit the conventional criteria needed to start a relationship / family. People who struggle within this system feel alienated - as a result they naturally gravitate towards communities that offer more 'real-life' support than the state. These communities often include opinions designed to strengthen their members' alienation (whether deliberately or not) and make them look inwards rather than outwards. The more they get castigated and called loons or nutters etc, the more they double down and convince themselves that they will never be accepted into 'normal' society. It's a vicious cycle which sadly social media exacerbates from all sides
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 11:03]

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 04:10 - Mar 29 with 2384 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

No not really the UK is one of the most vaccinated countries in the world. Those over 65 (who need it most) are also more likely to take it up. There is more of a distrust in the media in a more polarized world, which is unsurprising given some of the falsehoods that have been reported on both sides. Not to mention a (especially in the UK) a lot of flawed modeling used to justify certain measures that were put in place. This was still happening in Scotland and Wales as recently as New Years.

People would be better off at looking at actual data. Here is the Feb report from the ONS, which paints an encouraging picture. In the UK ,deaths last month were 7% lower than 5 year average (2015-19). A stark contrast to the horrors of winter 2021 (obviously). Also gives a few other useful insights on age groups and covid;

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/dea

A little different to what these lot were suggesting below and probably a good example of why some people probably aren’t believing certain parts of the MSM and sources on the other side of the aisle.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/18/uk-scientists-curbs-covid-infectio
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 5:00]
Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 05:41 - Mar 29 with 2285 viewsBlueBadger

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 04:10 - Mar 29 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

No not really the UK is one of the most vaccinated countries in the world. Those over 65 (who need it most) are also more likely to take it up. There is more of a distrust in the media in a more polarized world, which is unsurprising given some of the falsehoods that have been reported on both sides. Not to mention a (especially in the UK) a lot of flawed modeling used to justify certain measures that were put in place. This was still happening in Scotland and Wales as recently as New Years.

People would be better off at looking at actual data. Here is the Feb report from the ONS, which paints an encouraging picture. In the UK ,deaths last month were 7% lower than 5 year average (2015-19). A stark contrast to the horrors of winter 2021 (obviously). Also gives a few other useful insights on age groups and covid;

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/dea

A little different to what these lot were suggesting below and probably a good example of why some people probably aren’t believing certain parts of the MSM and sources on the other side of the aisle.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/18/uk-scientists-curbs-covid-infectio
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 5:00]

What are the 'falsehoods' that have been presented in the media regarding the efficacy, and safety of vaccines? There aren't 'two sides' to a 'vaccine debate' because we have literally centuries of evidence to their benefit and safety.

The antivaxx movement is entirely driven by frauds, conspiracy loons and borderline sociopaths preying on the frightened, ignorant and vulnerable. Who'd have thought that our resident Turmp cultist would be here 'just asking questions', eh?
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 5:46]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 05:56 - Mar 29 with 2236 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 05:41 - Mar 29 by BlueBadger

What are the 'falsehoods' that have been presented in the media regarding the efficacy, and safety of vaccines? There aren't 'two sides' to a 'vaccine debate' because we have literally centuries of evidence to their benefit and safety.

The antivaxx movement is entirely driven by frauds, conspiracy loons and borderline sociopaths preying on the frightened, ignorant and vulnerable. Who'd have thought that our resident Turmp cultist would be here 'just asking questions', eh?
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 5:46]

Not sure if you read my first sentence?

I also said falsehoods were presented by both sides.

Then I explained general MSM and Gov Advisor distrust might be explained by the kind of example I gave below. Do you actual read anything I type or just desperately reply trying to get a Trump reference in? You nearly didn’t, so close, but nice edit.

So sorry for questioning SAGE and presenting ONS data.

Go on, the ignore button is right there for you! Clicky click click click
Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 06:00 - Mar 29 with 2215 viewsBlueBadger

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 05:56 - Mar 29 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Not sure if you read my first sentence?

I also said falsehoods were presented by both sides.

Then I explained general MSM and Gov Advisor distrust might be explained by the kind of example I gave below. Do you actual read anything I type or just desperately reply trying to get a Trump reference in? You nearly didn’t, so close, but nice edit.

So sorry for questioning SAGE and presenting ONS data.

Go on, the ignore button is right there for you! Clicky click click click

You were claiming that there were falsehoods presented by 'both sides' in the context of people getting vaccinated.

What were the 'falsehoods' regarding vaccination?
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 6:00]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 07:23 - Mar 29 with 2063 viewslowhouseblue

10% of the population can't cope with the complexity of the modern world and choose to believe nonsense cos it's less challenging. sounds about right. every curve has to have a tail at the wrong end.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 07:46 - Mar 29 with 2019 viewsSteve_M

One telling point is that whilst, in Russia, RT was encouraging vaccination, across Europe it was promoting anti-vaxxers (as well as featuring the utter dregs of each nation's politicians).

There's been a deliberate spreading of mis-information from that source but also from the US right which overlaps a lot into some of the same people.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 08:21 - Mar 29 with 1900 viewsOldsmoker

There has always been an element of non-conformists in modern society.
"What are you rebelling against?" "What have you got" was the sixties attitude if I remember correctly.

There's also that dumb element, I'm thinking of Trump supporters here, who cede their thinking to others as in "What he said".

One thing that I think is new (probably isn't) is that those who claim others are Liars and cheats, and that they alone are 100% honest and truthful and never lie are those that ARE the liars and cheats. The louder their claims the more dishonest they are.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 08:24 - Mar 29 with 1889 viewsblueasfook

I'm pro vax myself but I don't believe the vaccines are free from some nasty side effects. A friend of mine was taken to hospital with blood clots a week or so after his first vaccination.

In time, I'm sure some revelations will come out.

But as I say, on the whole I'm pro vaccination as I think they do less harm than good.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 08:48 - Mar 29 with 1807 viewsChurchman

I think there has always been people outside the mainstream view, people that refuse to read widely on things that concern them, believe what the read from dubious or limited sources, take delight in taking opposite views and some take an opinion and no evidence in the world will change them. It’s actually quite fashionable to do that, in my view.

But broadly, when you look at how people adapted to lockdowns, the high vaccination rate, changing work patterns the level of conformity is I think very high in this country. It’s just that the media like to amplify those that don’t and we of course have social media now to muddy things further.

A good example of a reason why people should read widely though is in the recent attached article
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10607107/British-FBIs-Fawlty-Towers-hot

I happen to know as a matter of fact that the stance taken and every single paragraph of this is incorrect. Ok it’s the Daily Rag, but I know other newspapers are no better, from some other relatively high profile stuff I was involved in.

Then we have the politicians. Not only do they manipulate news (and visa versa), they also have earned zero credibility. Even when they’re caught out, as the man with the toddler haircut often is, they brazen it out. Do as I say, not as I do. This of course isn’t new. Nobody ate better than Churchill in WW2 and he felt it his right to do so. Now though, ‘doing the right thing’ as Lord Carrington did on resigning at the start of the Falklands War is a long gone ethic. Lie and crack on is todays way.

However, despite what I see is a lack of discipline in society, in some ways, the majority of people try and do the right thing and there are some wonderful people on top of that. Examples include those who put themselves in harms way dealing with Covid, those who built the Nightingale hospitals in record time and of course Captain Tom.
Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 08:58 - Mar 29 with 1777 viewsnoggin

17 million people voted to make the country a poorer place to live. Never underestimate how stupid the general public are.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 09:04 - Mar 29 with 1761 viewsNthQldITFC

Basic scientific education levels are extremely poor in probably the bulk of the public, but that's not so significant a change as the enabling of misinformation, manipulation and stupidity made possible by the Internet and social media.

My belief is that since we became toolmakers, our tools have evolved faster than our wisdom, and those tools are now more of a threat than a help to us and our fellow inhabitants of the earth.

This is surely obvious to everybody who is not actively self-delusional, in terms of industry, consumerism and pollution, but I think it also applies to the use of the (mis)information tools.

We need to somehow wise up very quickly.

Living a sterile, lazy, urban life might seem appealing to humans, but I think that disconnection from nature has happened too quickly in evolutionary terms for the human psyche to cope in a manner sustainable either for the environment, or for many individual people, and as a result many turn to escapist beliefs in their desperation and ignorance.

We need to somehow wise up very quickly.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 09:10 - Mar 29 with 1753 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Unfortunately a lot of the general public are simply thick.

There are also many who see being contrary as their opportunity to stand out and get noticed - to the point they end up actually believing the nonsense.

It's quite astonishing that these two things lead to people rejecting stuff that's designed to help them/save their life. The idea that people actually march in the streets to protest about the inconvenience of putting a bit of cloth across their mouth (because it will help protect against a life-threatening disease which has killed millions) is unfathomable.

Down the Seven Sisters road, near where I live, someone has scrawled on a sign "Covid is a scam." What does that even mean? I've had it - I know it's real. And how would 'they' create a scam so big? And why? These are the basic first questions the author of that (and a scarily large amount in this country) need to ask themselves, but are either too thick or too caught up in themselves to even ask.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 09:33 - Mar 29 with 1713 viewsNthQldITFC

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 09:10 - Mar 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

There are also many who see being contrary as their opportunity to stand out and get noticed - to the point they end up actually believing the nonsense.

It's quite astonishing that these two things lead to people rejecting stuff that's designed to help them/save their life. The idea that people actually march in the streets to protest about the inconvenience of putting a bit of cloth across their mouth (because it will help protect against a life-threatening disease which has killed millions) is unfathomable.

Down the Seven Sisters road, near where I live, someone has scrawled on a sign "Covid is a scam." What does that even mean? I've had it - I know it's real. And how would 'they' create a scam so big? And why? These are the basic first questions the author of that (and a scarily large amount in this country) need to ask themselves, but are either too thick or too caught up in themselves to even ask.

'The idea that people actually march in the streets to protest about the inconvenience of putting a bit of cloth across their mouth (because it will help protect against a life-threatening disease which has killed millions) is unfathomable.'

This is a really weird behaviour, given that to 9/10 people it would be probably be less inconvenient than wearing a tie for example. It's more the challenge to the ego, I think, than the inconvenience.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

[Redacted] on 10:05 - Mar 29 with 1646 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 10:44 - Mar 29 with 1535 viewsunstableblue

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 08:58 - Mar 29 by noggin

17 million people voted to make the country a poorer place to live. Never underestimate how stupid the general public are.

Perhaps Brexit was a pre-cursor to the Covid delusion, a major decision where expertise, facts and evidence were ignored.

BUT, in reality they are different, large swathes of the UK media and political establishment wanted to leave Europe, there are valid arguments against a European super state.

Having said that you can argue that it started to show the real influence of echo chambers and social media is morphing public opinion with Moscow's hand on the tiller.

Certainly recent economic figures look to have validated project fear.

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 10:50 - Mar 29 with 1518 viewsunstableblue

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 09:10 - Mar 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

"There are also many who see being contrary as their opportunity to stand out" I think you have a point here..... is it any coincidence that many of those who drove anti-vax and covid hoax conspiracy, now align with the overstatement of Ukrainian nazi influence? - parroting again Russian created narratives.

The point of masks is also telling, masks are divisive, as research of effectiveness varies, but they have merit (ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE CONTAGIOUS)... and the extreme anti-mask position is counter to being a caring citizen and member of society.

I know an anti-vaxxer who bragged about making a young shop assistant cry via his refusal to follow the guidelines she was charged with enforcing... he saw it as a badge of honour, I saw it as someone who is callous and deeply flawed.

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 10:57 - Mar 29 with 1486 viewsScuzzer

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 08:58 - Mar 29 by noggin

Just to remind you...you are one of the general public.

Established 1968

[Redacted] on 11:01 - Mar 29 with 1448 viewsvictorywilhappen

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 10:57 - Mar 29 by Scuzzer

Just to remind you...you are one of the general public.

[Redacted]
Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 11:03 - Mar 29 with 1431 viewsunstableblue

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 08:24 - Mar 29 by blueasfook

I'm pro vax myself but I don't believe the vaccines are free from some nasty side effects. A friend of mine was taken to hospital with blood clots a week or so after his first vaccination.

In time, I'm sure some revelations will come out.

But as I say, on the whole I'm pro vaccination as I think they do less harm than good.

Your friend has been very very very unlucky. Perhaps a 4 in a million chance perhaps? but don't quote me.

The weight of research is overwhelming, the transparency in vaccine side effect reporting is comprehensive (I think the yellow card scheme give the impressions of a greater issue).

Also the probability of heart problems, clotting and other issues from HAVING covid is significantly greater than the vaccines.

"In time, I'm sure some revelations will come out." in many ways you are sympathetic to the anti-vaxx conspiracy... and I understand why, and there are probably 10s of millions who are in this camp also, because the noise is there

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 11:10 - Mar 29 with 1394 viewsitfcjoe

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 10:44 - Mar 29 by unstableblue

Perhaps Brexit was a pre-cursor to the Covid delusion, a major decision where expertise, facts and evidence were ignored.

BUT, in reality they are different, large swathes of the UK media and political establishment wanted to leave Europe, there are valid arguments against a European super state.

Having said that you can argue that it started to show the real influence of echo chambers and social media is morphing public opinion with Moscow's hand on the tiller.

Certainly recent economic figures look to have validated project fear.

When you read into those that are funding the misinformation campaigns re Brexit, COvid etc there is a view that this has just been a warm up and a practice run for the huge swathes that are going to come out re going Net Zero and climate change.

Farage has already started to show his hand on that one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 11:18 - Mar 29 with 1362 viewsGuthrum

Not a new phenomenon in the face of pandemics: http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/flagellants.htm

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 11:24 - Mar 29 with 1315 viewsunstableblue

Do you think there is a 'great psychosis' taking place in the UK? on 11:10 - Mar 29 by itfcjoe

When you read into those that are funding the misinformation campaigns re Brexit, COvid etc there is a view that this has just been a warm up and a practice run for the huge swathes that are going to come out re going Net Zero and climate change.

Farage has already started to show his hand on that one

Yes I think a really disturbing outcome from Covid, Ukraine and the move to a kind of social media insanity is the way Environmental and Net Zero issues have been pushed back to the periphery; and worryingly as you state the misinformation approaches that drove Brexit and Covid conspiracy are ramping up to undermine Environmental Action.

Demonising environmentalists, 'putting jobs and economy' first - the latter being bollox.

The lack of drive by governments to 'insulate Britain' is a national scandal - inefficient housing stock p!ssing out heat and energy.

Farage is just a w@nker. A false prophet in the pay of pretty hideous factions, including Russia. Yet we keep giving him oxygen.

The environmental challenges that will come will effect society much more than we realised, and will cost FAR FAR more to resolves and to provide resilience against, than any short term pain. But humans never see the long term view... some countries like the Nordics do in some sense.. UK is languishing.

At least we have Ipswich Joe... a constant of joy and despair. I don't need conspiracy theory when I have Ipswich!

One final point it amazes me how Covid conspiracy people denounce social media, but then go on 'news channels and feeds' that they trust like grayzone... which patently have a far far more poisonous agenda and dodgy editorial (Russian propaganda) than the like of the BBC

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024